Start by marking “The Wanderer's Necklace” as Want to Read:
The Wanderer's Necklace

Read Book

The Wanderer's Necklace

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  281 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
This scarce antiquarian book is a selection from Kessinger Publishings Legacy Reprint Series. Due to its age, it may contain imperfections such as marks, notations, marginalia and flawed pages. Because we believe this work is culturally important, we have made it available as part of our commitment to protecting, preserving, and promoting the worlds literature. Kessinger P ...more
Published April 26th 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1914)

To ask other readers questions about The Wanderer's Necklace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wanderer's Necklace

Pranta Ghosh Dastider
Such a fantastic book! Full of ups and downs, unforeseen incidents. I can easily compare it with Rafael Sabatini's masterpiece- The Sea Hawk. At the core of the story there is a guy, who is much more than he seems. He is honest, brave, adventurous. Also from beginning to end he was a much emotional being. That's what made him humane in my eyes. And of course there is love. Love drives this story, love empowers it, and also corrupts it in insidious way. There is struggle for power, random kindnes ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
This is old-fashioned adventure with an emphasis on old fashioned. I'm not going to claim that Haggard even at his best is the same order of classic as the best by Charles Dickens, the Brontes, George Eliot or Thomas Hardy. But like fellow Victorians Arthur Conan Doyle or Robert Louis Stevenson or Rudyard Kipling, Haggard really could spin a good yarn, and the fantasy genre in general owes him a great debt. Ten of his books are on my bookshelves. I gobbled those up in my teens and most I remembe ...more
Calzean
Haggard knew how to spin an adventure story - spanning Vikings, Byzantium and Egypt. Heathens, Christians and Islam. Love, broken love, and timeless love. Friendship, broken friendships and friendships where honour must be obeyed. Ghosts, dreams and a mystery.

Our hero Olaf, is a poet, philosopher, honourable, General, confidante to an Empress, leader of men and women find him desirable - although he is faithful to a woman he has never met in this lifetime.

Haggard must have been the J.K. Rowling
Amanda
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On finishing this book tonight, I have resolved to read it to my children nightly until it's done.

Exotic lands, adventure, romance. This is the second book I've read by H. Rider Haggard and I am now a devoted fan.
Lisa
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Filing this one away to read to my son in a few years. A great tale on how to be noble, merciful, and faithful no matter what the cost.
Voracious
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rip-roaring good yarn. Must read a few more of his books. I think this style of writing would still appeal to boys today. I'll test it on D.
Antonio Ippolito
H. Rider Haggard è noto soprattutto per “Le miniere di Salomone” e i suoi sèguiti, ambientati in quell’Africa che gli Stati europei cercavano, a gara, di conquistare. Ma scrisse anche romanzi di ambientazione storica diversa: questo Olaf è un caso particolare, perché, anche se il suo protagonista è un vichingo, la storia spazia per tre ambienti ben diversi: Danimarca vichinga, Bisanzio, Egitto musulmano (in Italia è stato pubblicato sia in un volume dalla Nord, sia diviso in tre volumetti dalla ...more
Baylee
Questo è uno dei tanti libri adocchiati per caso che ha finito per stupirmi. Iniziato in sordina, ha finito per conquistarmi e farsi divorare fino all'ultima parola.

Come da titolo, il protagonista è Olaf, vichingo tutto d'un pezzo per il quale il Fato avrà in serbo grandi gioie e grandi dolori. Olaf non è uomo da scendere a compromessi ed è sincero anche a scapito della sua sicurezza personale. È uno di quegli uomini per i quali vale il motto: meglio morto che senza onore. Uno di quelli per i qu
Jessica
Apr 25, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I'm placing this book on indefinite hiatus. I am having a very hard time with the storyline and the characters. I honestly don't care about Olaf or anyone else. May resume later. Page 67, Chapter V, Ave Post Secula.
Vallah Silverleaf
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Classic historical fiction with a little bit of timeless love sprinkled in.
Michelle
When I first started reading it reminded me of Greek mythology, then I decided it was more biblical. I would love to see it as a movie with Russel Crowe as Olaf.
Neil
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not one of Rider Haggard's very best, but still at times highly entertaining. The fragmentary nature of the story and events in the second half make it hard for the narrator to convey all that is happening convincingly. This is the only book of Haggard's other than the absolutely brilliant Eric Brighteyes to feature a Viking as the protagonist. The story moves however to the Byzantium Empire and gets bogged down in Christianity for a while, although it's interesting to see how Haggard works the ...more
Michelle
This book has a healthy dose of wonderful imagination, and a very hefty dose of language that is not in use in the modern day. However, it gives an interesting perspective on the thoughts of white Europeans in Africa in regards to their African helpers. The story itself is good, but the language is distracting.
Lacey Conrad
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was a lot like Romeo and Juliet, though set in the period of the Roman Empire. I got a little worried that it had taken too religious of a turn for my taste but it ended with religion being a sort of minor antagonist in the plot.
Devero
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Il primo romanzo di una saga incentrata su un giovane vichingo, ambientata nel nord della Scandinavia. Haggard è ricordato però per altri lavori, e in effetti, pur lasciandosi leggere, questo romanzo un poco annoia.
Aziza Naderi-Weisblatt
Weird

Frustrating at times and horrible portrayal of Muslims. Would give a zero if possible. And was he the wanderer or not?!
Sundai Valcich
This book is horrible. Don't read it. I suffered through it for a book club. Wishing I had those hours back.
Srivatsan Hulikal
I enjoyed Haggard's King Solomon's Mines and thought this might be a good read. However, it was very disappointing, no better than a typical Bollywood plot.
Devero
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Seguito de "La Collana del Vagabondo" dello stesso autore. Un poco meno riuscito come romanzo storico, si lascia leggere ma avvince meno.
Mary
Sep 23, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Stunning Imagery

This book is full of historical places and people. Wonderful imagery and writing. I will surely read this again in the future.
Marl
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the journey that Olaf took during his lifetime. It is rich with history, love and the human spirit during adversity.
Dawn
May 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite interesting, just not my favorite stlye of writing.
Leah Elliott
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting book, with a surprising Christian twist
Andrea
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Confessions of a Counterfeit Farm Girl: A Memoir
  • Mission To The Stars
  • The Man Who Planted Trees
  • Deadly Sins (The Callahans, #2)
  • Sunfall
  • A Cruel Deceit (Lieutenant Bak, #6)
  • The Dark Lord
  • The Year of the Cobra (Egyptian Mysteries, #3)
  • For the Love of Philae
  • The Blue Hawk
  • The Anubis Murders
  • The Shepherd Kings
  • The Ghost Pirates
  • Winged Pharaoh (Far Memory Books)
  • The Last Castle
  • Lords of Destruction (Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer, #2)
Sir Henry Rider Haggard was an English writer of adventure novels set in exotic locations, predominantly Africa, and the creator of the Lost World literary genre. His stories, situated at the lighter end of the scale of Victorian literature, continue to be popular and influential. He was also involved in agricultural reform and improvement in the British Empire.

His breakout novel was King Solomon
More about H. Rider Haggard...