Start by marking “Eleonora” as Want to Read:
Eleonora

Read Book

Eleonora

Eleonora is a short story by Edgar Allan Poe, first published in 1842 in Philadelphia in the literary annual The Gift. It is often regarded as somewhat autobiographical and has a relatively "happy" ending.
28 pages
Published (first published 1842)

To ask other readers questions about Eleonora, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eleonora

Start your review of Eleonora
Carol
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
First published in 1842, ELEONORA is a beautifully written story of true love by Edgar Allan Poe that is said to be somewhat autobiographical.

...."Eleonora was the name of my cousin."

...."Hand in hand about this valley, for fifteen years, roamed I with Eleonora before love entered within our hearts."

Expecting dark and grim, was quite surprised by the tenderness in the prose that delivered a warm-hearted message "in the silence of the night."

Quirkyreader
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another good creeper by Poe.
Exina
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: classics

Of course, this story is significant due to the autobiographical aspects, but the least engaging story by Poe I’ve read so far. The writing style is sentimental and pompous. I don’t think I will read the other two related stories, Morella and Ligeia.

Evelyn (devours and digests words)
Beautiful prose is beautiful. I'm really glad this one ended on a happy ending.

Aishu Rehman
This is the first romance story I've ever read from Edgar Allan Poe. I love it. It is all about true love and has a happy ending, even though it has death as almost every EAP story.
Mebarka
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Spoiler alert :this one has a happy ending

Eleonora is a short story ,with a lyrical sentimental prose ,that shows the glory of love.Through a simple story line Poe recites the story of a protagonist who recollects two distinct periods in his life.The first one is about his love for his cousin Eleonora who dies at a young age ,and his vow to remain loyal to her ,the second is about his marriage to Erm
Tom Mc Kenna
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very beautiful tale told in the form of prose poetry. This review is for Eleonora.
Jaime
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, audiobook, gothic
Beautiful. I have been listening to this being read by one of my most favourite artists William Control.I simply cannot stop listening to this beautiful story.
David Doyle
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting, a Poe story that isn't rife with mental illness, abuse or murder. It's a love story. The most interesting part, to me, was the description of the valley where the narrator lives along with the girl he loves. The valley changes to reflect their relationship and it implies a lot without the narrator having to explicitly say. Being a Poe story, it's not all 'happily ever after' for this couple and the valley reflects what happens.

The end is kinda unexpected and abrupt, if this is what
Viji (Bookish endeavors)
A beautiful story, with an autobiographical touch. It revolves around the question- is it ok to fall in love after the death of your first love.? The narrator gives a promise to his first love that he won't love another girl after her death. She continues to make her presence felt after death. In the end, she herself approves of his second love. A simple story,nothing big about it. Enjoyable.
framptonhollis
This brief story from the master of American literature, the great Edgar Allan Poe, is among his more tender, romantic works. It does feature some very gothic and horror-like elements, but for the most part it is just emotional, chilling, and beautiful. Extraordinarily written and told tale of lost love, a Poe classic!
Edlira Dibrani
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy reading Allen Poe. This one was fantastic, looking forward to reading others also. 4

``They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those whodream only by night.``

<3 <3 FANTASTIC <3 <3
Neelam Babul
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A nice romantic love story with a happy ending. I am sure even if volumes were written up with the same story none would be able to compare with the words and amazing skill that Poe writes. His short stories have the power to awaken your deepest emotions.

Another masterpiece everyone should read.
Elizabeth
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's Poe. How can it possibly be anything but awesome?
Sarthak Parajulee
Jan 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Is it possible for something to be very beautiful, heart-touching, and yet creepy? Apparently, yes.
K. Anna Kraft
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have arranged my takeaway thoughts into a haiku:

"The young come to know
Words like ‘always’ and ‘never’
Can sour as they age."
Jess the Shelf-Declared Bibliophile
An enjoyable dream of a poem about the legendary search for El Dorado. I thought it was very well written and eloquent.
Greg
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An astounding reading of this beautiful tale.

Lisa James
Jan 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1001-books-list
This was a real love story with a fairy tale feel, a complete change from his works of mystery & terror. I am SO glad I read this :) It shows in the end that love does indeed conquer all, & that love forgives as well. I never knew Poe could write like this! ...more
John Yelverton
Apr 04, 2017 rated it liked it
It's a bit of a weird short story about a man who falls in love with his first cousin, but makes a vow of eternal chastity and fidelity in exchange for her ghostly presence upon her death. The end result being that a ghost makes a cold bedfellow.
Susan
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, almost too much so.
Hayle
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This piece was absolutely beautiful!
Fadoua ϟ
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
I kinda find it hard to get into Edgar Allan Poe's writings , but i can't deny that this was beautiful !
Nona
The loveliness of Eleonora was that of the Seraphim
Rym
"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
M. Ashraf
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: edgar-allan-poe

Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence -- whether much that is glorious- whether all that is profound -- does not spring from disease of thought...

A good story, a unique one by Poe, it is not like his other work and it has a happy ending.
Great read with a beautiful thumbnail on Youtube
Nusrat Bhuiyan Nowrin
This is the first book which I read from Edgar Allan Poe. This is the good romantic story and finally happily ending of the story. I think the most beautiful thing of the nature which explained in the book is "River of Silence". Why? I don't know but just love it.
Kristina Spralja
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tremendously beautiful. The first and last paragraph reveal profound truths about dreaming and love when read between the lines.
A Mig
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
will appeal to the romantic. Poetic, but not my cup of tea.
Alexa
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Love conquers promises to ex's, and defies curses.
« previous 1 3 next »

• গ্রামের নাম কাঁকনডুবি
  • All You Zombies
  • আলেকজান্ডার দ্য গ্রেট

Related Articles

"Horror fiction has traditionally dealt in taboo.… It makes monsters of household pets and begs our affection for psychos. It...
“Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.” 8222 likes
“Men have called me mad; but the question is not settled whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence -- whether much that is glorious -- whether all that is profound -- does not spring from disease of thought -- from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect. They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who only dream by night. In their gray visions they obtain glimpses of eternity, and thrill, in waking, to find that they have been upon the verge of the great secret. In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. They penetrate, however rudderless or compassless, into the vast ocean of the ‘light ineffable’.” 160 likes