Start by marking “A Finder's Magic” as Want to Read:
A Finder's Magic

A Finder's Magic

3.34  ·  Rating details ·  90 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
A boy who loses his dog meets a mysterious stranger and has a surprising adventure in an enchanting tale from a stellar author-illustrator team.

When Till’s beloved dog slips its leash on their daily romp, the boy goes to bed in despair. But he wakes to meet Mr. Finder, an odd little man from his dream, who offers to help him retrieve the frisky pup. Together Till and Finde
Published March 10th 2009 by Candlewick Press (first published October 6th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Finder's Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Finder's Magic

Caren
Mar 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
This is a somewhat unusual little book. It is a very quick read and noteworthy for being the last book written by the respected British author, Philippa Pearce. Also of note is the fact that it was illustrated by her daughter's mother-in-law, Helen Craig, best known for illustrating the "Angelina Ballerina" books. Both grannies created the work with their mutual grandsons in mind, and, in fact, the main character's name is derived from an anagram of the grandsons' two names. After Ms. Pearce had ...more
Christopher Newton
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
So nice to be back in Philippa Pearce's world again, if only for an hour. To me, Philippa is the Shakespeare of modern children's writing, and this little gem is her Tempest, her fond farewell. Bye, Philippa, and thanks for all the fish.
Gwen
Nov 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-fiction
This is one I'll add to my "read a chapter book to younger kids" - I'd love to know what anyone else thinks. Sweet, with just a bit of magic.
Hannah Phelps
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a sweet book, perfect for a read-aloud, short enough to be finished in one sitting. It was written by a grandmother for her grandsons and illustrated by their other grandmother. Plus, it's about a boy's love for his dog, and I'm always a sucker for dog books (especially when the dog doesn't die).
Kalilah
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
More than the story, I absolutely adore the illustrations in this book, the colourless ones. They're lovely. I could stare at them all day.
The story is good too. Kind of a very short mystery.
Becky
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
When a boy loses his dog in a meadow, a magical quest is the result when a strange old man calling himself a 'Finder' shows up to comfort the boy. Together the old man and the young boy will use 'magic' to discover just what happened to the dog. The magic includes using one of the muddy toys belonging to the dog. The Finder allegedly embeds a message within the toy and when it is thrown at various animals, the finder can 'hear' from the animals in question. (Another example, the boy shoves the m ...more
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A charming little story of a boy's search for his lost dog! With the help of a mysterious old man, he interviews various animals, including a bad-tempered cat, and pieces together the mystery of his dog's disappearance.
This short book has all the magic and charm I've come to expect from the author, with her own blend of delightful writing. Every word is crisp and cool, or warm and honey on your tongue. The smallest, most everyday things take on a glow when this author brings her writer's magic
Miss Ryoko
Jun 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5

I really liked this book. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it, but it was nicely written that had a basic but interesting storyline. It flowed nicely and nothing seemed like it was taking too long or moving too fast. I really appreciated the dialogue. This was a story that was taking place not so long ago, but the rich dialogue made it seem so old. I really loved that aspect of this book!

It is a super quick, easy read. I enjoyed it, and I hope to use it at school some day!
Lyn
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: class-2
Nice illustrations in this book about a lost dog and a magical old bloke, a "finder", who helps a boy find the dog. Unfortunately the book didn't really grab the imagination of me, the reader, or the audience of 8 year olds; it was just a bit silly at times and somehow lacked the ability to take us into the imaginative realm, so the adventure just seemed a bit preposterous and unlikely.
Susan Modak
Mar 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Love, love the Helen Craig drawings. Story, not super but I did read through it. Interesting that the two famous granma's planned to respectively write and illustrate a story for their common grandsons and part of that arrangement is worked into the story. PP died after writing but before the book was published.
Sara
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this quirky, hard-to-define tale. Pearce's classic, Tom's Midnight Garden has always been a favorite of mine, and it was fascinating to discover that A Finder's Magic was published two years after Pearce's death, dedicated to her two grandsons, and with illustrations done by Helen Craig, her grandson's other grandmother!

This is a sweet story, with many layers.
A.E. Shaw
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
The sentiment is pleasant, the imagination undeniable, and the illustrations wonderful, but the story itself here left me cold throughout, for reasons I can't quite put my finger on. Not something I enjoyed.
Patrick
Dec 06, 2010 rated it liked it
I liked the book, it was intriguing. I had hoped for a little more insight at the end. I won't spoil it. It definitely had a magical feel to it and it kept one guessing all the way through. I think it could have finished stronger but it was a nice read.
Christina
Jul 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-books
Gentle fantasy about a lost dog and the supernatural 'finder' who helps return him to the distraught boy who lost him. Will make a wonderful read aloud to 4 or 5 year old, or for that 6 year old who can read at an advanced level.
Melissa
Aug 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Sweet. Nothing earth-shattering, but it was very sweet.
Ellen
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-grade
Enjoyable, but never felt very strongly about the story, and not sure who I would recommend this to.
Judith
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Delightfully 'fey'!
Leslie
Dec 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Lovely story of a boy who searches for his missing dog with magical help.
Heather
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
Okay, but not very memorable.
Corinnagoodwin
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
very cute little story
twilightpenguin
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it
A wonderful quick read, which I picked up to read the blurb and ended up reading the whole way through one morning. A little gem indeed!
Rizal
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Carrieuoregon
Sep 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
I respect this author and love the illustrator, but it definitely left me with that 'so what?' feeling. I wouldn't discourage a read, but it didn't grab me.
Alysa
JeNeal
rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Philippa Pearce OBE was an English author of children's books. Her most famous work is the time slip fantasy novel Tom's Midnight Garden, which won the 1958 Carnegie Medal from the Library Association, as the year's outstanding children's book by a British subject. Pearce was four further times a commended runner-up for the Medal.

Pearce wrote over 30 books, including A Dog So Small (1962), Mi
More about Philippa Pearce...

“You're very old, aren't you?"
"Just as old as my tongue and a little older than my teeth.”
6 likes
“If you don't get it, you don't get it."
...
"If you don't get it, you may yet.”
1 likes