Start by marking “34 Bubblegums and Candies” as Want to Read:
34 Bubblegums and Candies

34 Bubblegums and Candies

34 Bubblegums and Candies is a collection of short, real-life incidents that have inspired the author in the course of her life. Using the analogy of bubblegums and candies, the title alludes to the various facets of life that go by unnoticed. Humorous and engaging, the book takes you through 34 real-life incidents covering a variety of characters.

Some of the short storie
Published January 11th 2008 by Srishti (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about 34 Bubblegums and Candies, please sign up.
Simant ♥ Flipping Through the Pages Its really nice if you love some inspirational lessons and short but funny stories. This is the author's first book and she has written about some…moreIts really nice if you love some inspirational lessons and short but funny stories. This is the author's first book and she has written about some small learnings and beautiful moments from his life. So its good if you want some light reading.(less)

Tess Thomas
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
“A condition that my mom put forward when she got me a membership in local library years back was ’no book lending during weekdays‘. That was because those days I used to spend long hours reading and not even hunger could distract me once I started with a book. The people who made me do it were Enid Blyton, Mary Higgins Clark, the authors of The Chicken Soup Stories etc.

Years passed and after two years of slogging in a software firm, I ended up taking as much as a whole month to complete a book
Pooja Banga
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am happy that this book went good and was not like some of the crap I have read earlier by indian authors..

Not to mention ..We all know ..

I was reluctant to not touch books written by Indian authors after reading Chetan Bhagat ..

But I don't regret picking this book ..

I think you will like it ..

This book actually has mixed reviews about it . It depends on what do you like reading:)

Give it a try ..I won't guarantee you but you may enjoy this book ..

I hope you enjoy this book as much as I enjoyed
Luvena
Oct 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: painful
Omg.... Such a painful read.. I thought the book would be a good account of real-life incidents, but after the first few stories, I am just unwilling to give it a shot & complete the book. The writing is painfully mediocre, actually, less than mediocre - high school English, and lacks character. The stories, apart from a slightly focused story on the AIDS children, the other narratives lacked the depth to hold the reader - or the more seasoned reader / philosopher. These daily lessons were m ...more
Debasis Mohanty
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is to Preeti Shenoy:

You can take it as a constructive criticism if your an optimist-which I know you're or you can simply put it in your junk box saying there are "drains"(in reference to a chapter in your book) like me to demotivate you and you move on because there'll be many more praising your efforts.

But this is what I felt all the way even mid-way while reading:
1) All the mundane activities which u reminisced doesn't necessarily amuse the readers.
2) The book lacks humor which you promi
Mayank Mittal
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Preeti’s 34bubblegums and candies is a compilation of 34 small stories and I don’t know why she says that some are candies and some are bubble gums. For me, each of them was a candy, a candy that I would want to keep savoring. Each of these stories conveys a subtle, genuine but a deep message. It’s the honesty in the narration and the genuineness of the text that bowls you our. Most of these candies will begin with the commonest of the incidents or situations that we have encountered, and then, ...more
Sundeep Supertramp
Aug 08, 2011 rated it liked it
When I first completed reading the first 2 chapters of the book... I was sure that it is a "girly" kind of a book.. It is not very usual I read these kinds of books.. and it is not very usual even for me to like books like this... But I did like it..

First of all, I admire Indian author.. Secondly, I admire Indian woman authors...

About the book: It is a collection of 34 experiences in a which is experienced by almost every Indian(male and female)...

I personally loved "Life is what you make it", w
Dhriti Govind Raj
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Creative non fiction is a very innovative genre Preeti Shenoy has picked up for her first book.
The whole book is like a collection of fairy tales, except here, the short stories are more of reality than fiction.
Preeti Shenoy, is an excellent author and "34 Bubblegums and Candies" proves it! None of the short stories are anyway linked to each other except for the counts. Each story is unique and distinct. And, take my word, you will love all the stories.
There is one particular story that I love
Manasa
Apr 19, 2009 rated it did not like it
This books is a collection of blog-posts. Nothing great in focus. Writing blogs is different from writing books. The author has failed to impress!
Vaidehi Sharma
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
34 BUBBLEGUMS AND CANDIES
When does we climb stairs while reading a book and hit our head right in the wall? I think this only happens when you are reading one of the Preeti Shenoy's works. As I received the packet from that amazon guy I snatched open it right in front of him on the main gate and he stared at me as if a cat has snatched away his bite and is feasting over it. Poor guy. Again its not a review its just an experience. I climbed over and parked myself on the sofa and got drenchedin th
Sowbarrnika
On incidents which the author faced. Mostly the 'unwelcome' and 'unexpected' ones.
Kiran Nair
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Definitely 34 candies & no bubblegums...... Plus 1 lollipop too.....
Sowmya's book world
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
It's like a preeti shenoy consolidated her blog and made a book, not so appealing, Some stories are funny and some are very lame.
Natasha Borah Khan
Mar 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Natasha by: Madhusmita
frankly i did not like all her candies and bubble-gums. a few incidents were life savouries though. in others, i felt that the proper linkage between the story and lesson was missing.
Sujay Malik
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I got this book in a free giveway and though it has its shortcomings I did not regret reading it. If you are looking for quick rapid read then this will serve the purpose.

The title of this book is itself a bit dodgy, but to be fair it has its moments of breezy storytelling and crisp flow.

It is just that this doesn't look like a collection of stories They appear a bit like fragmented collection of blogs which were simply put together to form a book. Now if I were to take a neutral view then a fe
Abhishek Thakkar
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
An eclectic collection of anecdotes and incidents which touched my heart and brought warmth to my soul. I loved the simplicity of articulation and felt that the book was not penned down with an intention to impress but rather to express. The cover and the title are cute and fascinating. The book appealed to me on a personal level. It taught me to relish simple things in life and to cherish the bonds which are beyond materialism.
Souparnika Chander
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lovely book to start the year with..
I have always wanted to read this one, but cud read it only now.. Jus took me a couple of hours to finish this book. Such a light hearted, simple language, that makes you laugh, cry, smile, think. This book is such a "Radiator". Thanks for sharing ur experience and so rightly compiled, Preeti!
Hiba Mukhtar
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Disappointed in the book of short stories, I really expected stronger literary quality in the stories. However, the author is predominantly narrating with limited rich detail and depth. It seems more like a short autobiography of startling events. I finished the quick read in a day, but may or may not choose to give the other works of the author a chance.
Ashish Kulkarni
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
A compilation of 34 real life incidents from the author’s life, the book fails to invoke enough interest. Barring a few, most of the stories are routine and sparingly humorous. I did laugh out loud while reading a few! But as much as her other book “A hundred little flames” was a wonderful read, this one.. I was happy when it got over.
Vidyadeepthi
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
It was a good collected stories..In all the stories, For me " siblings without Rivalry", "stay or stray","when life tricks you","what women want" looked much better...Who wanted to read general ,smoothly going stories this book is a best choice... :-)
Ankita
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some stories are awesome but some didn't touch me that much
Sreevidya
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not as expected. So much hype around the book, but it was just a plain read. I just finished it for the sake of finishing the book.
Shivani
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Small and interesting stories!
Loved it!
Krunal Ghelani
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Reading this book is like eating peanuts, you don't enjoy the test much, but you can't leave it either. 34 peanuts...
Saumya Kaushik...
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dear Preeti Shenoy,

Thank You for compiling these heart-loved and brilliant stories in a book. If there is a code, she has cracked it and done it brilliantly.
Arunayan Sharma
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice short stories from life's experiences.
sankaransivakumar
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Excellent book.i have become a fan of your writing .i have read 2 books of yours.would love to read morelaxmi
Jus Jaisinghani
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Experienced Great pleasure in reading the short sweet,deep, trivial and all kinds of candies!!
Chaitanya
Some of the stories were really good. It is more a collection of blogs than a set of short stories.
Rahul.g.a
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
34 Bubblegums & Candies:

This is the first book I have read written by Preeti Shenoy.

Leaving 3 - 4 stories, I personally couldn't connect with any other story.

Neither Motivational Nor Enjoyable. Its just a simple read, may be other readers could connect with more stories than I have connected with or I would say I enjoyed.

Garima Rathi
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This is Preeti Shenoy’s debut novel. The genre is a creative non-fiction. The book is a compilation of 34 sweet and sour incidents, some real and some fiction which leave a moral tale behind. The title signifies that like a bubblegum that sticks to the inner corners of your jaw and like a candy which leaves a sweet taste in your mouth long after it has been consumed, life is full of surprises. It is how you deal with situations that life throws at you and bounce back matters.

It is a very well wr
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• How About A Sin Tonight?
  • Xcess Baggage
  • Because Shit Happened
  • Urban Shots
  • The Third Squad
  • Poor Little Rich Slum
  • Baramulla Bomber
  • Love, life & all that jazz....
  • Gulabi
  • Zero Percentile – Missed IIT Kissed Russia
  • Autobiography of a Yogi
  • Devil In Pinstripes
  • Business Doctors: Management Consulting Gone Wild
  • Anything Else But Love
  • Shattered Dreams (Ramayana: the Game of Life, #2)
  • 31
  • Immortal India: Articles and Speeches by Amish
  • Legacy: Letters from Eminent Parents to Their Daughters

Preeti Shenoy, among the top five highest selling authors in India, is also on the Forbes longlist of the most influential celebrities in India. She is the highest selling woman writer in India. Her work has been translated to many languages.

India Today has named her as being unique for being the only woman in the best-selling league. She has been awarded the ‘Indian of the Year’ award for 2017 b
“I am very certain that I do not want to waste my time with the 'drains'. There are so many beautiful, positive and uplifting things in life. There is so much beauty, so much joy. Life is so short and so fleeting. It is entirely up to us to enjoy each moment. There will of course be moments when you feel sad, hopeless, and despondent and, as though, all is lost. When that happens, it is time to pick up the phone and call the best radiator you know.” 1 likes
“if there is an underlying bond of deep love, no matter how terrible the misunderstanding, the relationship survives.” 1 likes