Start by marking “Dragonflight (Pern: Dragonriders of Pern, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dragonflight (Pern: Dragonriders of Pern, #1)

Dragonflight

(Dragonriders of Pern #1)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  122,124 ratings  ·  3,254 reviews
HOW CAN ONE GIRL SAVE AN ENTIRE WORLD?

To the nobles who live in Benden Weyr, Lessa is nothing but a ragged kitchen girl. For most of her life she has survived by serving those who betrayed her father and took over his lands. Now the time has come for Lessa to shed her disguise—and take back her stolen birthright.

But everything changes when she meets a queen dragon. The bo
Published February 26th 2002 by Del Rey (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Dragonflight, please sign up.
Karen Kerr I don't think it has "paled" at all. I read it 20 years ago and enjoyed its characters and story, and now just finished reading it again and enjoyed i…moreI don't think it has "paled" at all. I read it 20 years ago and enjoyed its characters and story, and now just finished reading it again and enjoyed it on newer levels. The writing is rich and active. No dawdling with useless scenes or words. The introduction is a page and a half - got that? a page and a half! - and you learn from it more information about their history and world than I could put in a comment. The language is so rich you can make a vocab list out of it, yet never feel you didn't get the gist of a line. And Lessa! How can anyone not see how fully developed a character Lessa is? For the year it came out, she was a milestone in the strength of women. She inspired, and continues to inspire. This book absolutely deserved every praise and award it receives.(less)

·  122,124 ratings  ·  3,254 reviews

Start your review of Dragonflight (Pern: Dragonriders of Pern, #1)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I understand that this book (and series) has a lot of haters. Their complaints are valid, but I still regard this as one of the best sci-fi fantasies I've ever read.

I started reading this series really young, and got so caught up in the whole "OMG DRAGONS" part of it that I didn't even realize until later that this book had sci-fi elements, namely, that we are on a different freaking planet here. It's a mishmash of several genres that worked surprisingly well.

From the other reviews of the book
Merphy Napier
(I'm sorry in advance to everyone who grew up loving this book. I promise you, I really tried to love it too)

What I liked:
- our mc started out great. She was strong, scrappy, sure she was impulsive and rude at times, but it all made sense for where she came from.
- fast paced and easy to read plot
- generally fairly interesting ideas

What I REALLY didn't like:
- most of the characters are very shallow and really not well developed or layered at all.
- the execution of the plot was also really shallow
Lilyan
This whole review is a "Spoiler" so don't read it. On the other hand, nothing interesting happens in the book anyway, so might as well save yourself the trouble of reading the actual book.

People of Pern: What's that in the sky! Is it a bird? Is it a Plane? Is it SUPERMAN? Ugh, no.. It's those goddamned Dragonmen, trying to filch our resources.

Dragon People We are Dragonmen! We will protect you from the evil threads!

Evil Threads:

People of Pern: Sod off, there's no such thing.

Lessa: Aha! The d
Mike
Nov 09, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
What a disappointment. It started out just fine with Lessa, sole survivor of her family wreaking revenge on the evil dude who conquered "Ruatha Hold". The whole dragon/human mind meld thing was okay too. The part that really disgusted me was the whole raping/physical abuse shtick by the supposed hero. My thoughts were, if this was my daughter as the heroine, then the only thing to be done would "bag and tag" that F'lar a**hole cause I would have invented the .45 cal and then blown his head off w ...more
Markus
May 06, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It always pains me when a beloved classic is just not good enough. Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey was unfortunately plain unenjoyable.

The setting is the least intriguing one I have been faced with in quite a long time. There was just nothing to pique my interest on the world of Pern. In the author’s defence, she wrote this book in a time when only Tolkien had had the vision and ambition to take a fantasy world to marvellous complexity, and long before the intricacy and skills of the likes of Jor
Phrynne
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot imagine why I have never read this before. I have had plenty of time to do so since it was first published in 1968. It is fantasy/ sci fi, two of my favourite genres. And it has dragons in it! What more could I want?
Well I have now read it and I am joining the side of the people who love it! I thought the world building was extremely good and I liked the idea of the threads (some kind of weird fungal growth) periodically falling on the planet and threatening to destroy it.
The idea of t
Jessica
May 16, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reads
It should be stated that I squandered most of junior high reading Anne McCaffrey's sci-fi/fantasy novels near-exclusively, but this was my first time revisiting her since then. I was surprised to find that the first book in the Dragonriders of Pern series actually does have a good story, with interesting characters and an excellent invented world. However, the writing is just abominable, and in spite of being a woman, McCaffrey is frustratingly chauvanistic. The (lack of) copyediting makes me cr ...more
This was an entertaining book and I enjoyed most of it at a three star level. However, the romance drove me absolutely insane. I was gritting my teeth and wondering if I could actually count the number of times that F'lar shook Lessa, because we women love being shaken into sensibility, and a bit later I ran across these.

"Oh, F'lar will be so angry with me. He will shake me and shake me. He always shakes me when I disobey him."

"He'll shake me," Lessa cried, like a little girl.

"I told you he'd sh
Brad
May 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, sci-fantasy
Lately I have been noticing a recurring observation about the quality of first books in various series. There seems to be a growing consensus in reviews that the first book of a series, particularly if it is the first book published by an author, is inherently weak because the author is "learning their craft."

It seems to be both an excuse for what is perceived as poor quality and an excuse for going on in the series despite being underwhelmed by the opener.

I had this in mind as I began reading
Sebastien Castell
It's been ages since I read Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey. It was my first introduction to her writing and more specifically her world of Pern with its blend of fantasy and sci-fi (everything looks fantasy but is explained – thanks to the ubiquitous prologues across the series – as science fiction.) I rarely re-read books, but felt like going back to something familiar and so thought I'd give Dragonflight a try to see how it has aged in the intervening years.

The first thing that strikes a moder
Libby
I truly enjoyed this book and am looking forward to continuing with the series. This work is a well-written, creative adventure novel with the perfect amount of romance. It’s storytelling at its best.

The book is a nice mix of Science Fiction and Fantasy. The setting is the world of Pern. We are told in the Prologue that Pern is a planet settled by Earthlings but now long forgotten. It has apparently reverted back to a feudal type society where most of the citizens live in “holds” which are hist
Steph
Oct 26, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book back in sixth grade and thought it was exciting in the "wow, dragons are so cool; I wish I had one!" sense. I read it again on a whim and found it unintentionally disturbing. It's not just that the writing seemed dry and the characterization wooden. I realize the book was written in the late 60's, but the male-female dynamics still seem uncomfortably dated. The text seems to condone F'lar's treatment of Lessa; he patronizes her, yells at her, shakes her when he's angry, and prac ...more
Graeme Rodaughan
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves a great story.
Reads like fantasy - actually science fiction, and pure genius. I fell in love with this book when I first read it. Leesa, is a genuine heroine and standout character, and the dragons are marvelous.
David Sven
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A quick and easy read. The world building is light with a lot of unanswered questions, but I'm assured that the series as a whole "fills out" in that regard. I enjoyed it.

The prologue had me doing a double take because it was pure scifi, with Pern being one of many colonised planets which eventually became isolated and forgotten by Earth. The technology then regressed to the more fantasy feel medieval style setting. There are dragons, but even these are indigenous animals that have been bred to
Sean
Mar 12, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
The Dragonriders of Pern series really caught my imagination back in my preteen/early-teen years, when I picked up a library copy of The Renegades of Pern that my mom had put down. I next read All the Weyrs of Pern (thrilling at the brilliant cover art by Michael Whelan) and then started from the beginning, whipping through Dragonflight, Dragonquest, The White Dragon, Moreta, Nerilka's Story and the Harper Hall Trilogy.

I recently had the urge to revisit those carefree years of meaningless scienc
Vivian
Sep 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
10/2014 Buddy Reread: Reliving my preteen years with Don

Once relieved of imminent danger, Pern settled into a more comfortable way of life. The descendants of heroes fell into disfavor, as the legends fell into disrepute.

Hooray! This book was as good as I remembered. The Pern books had a huge influence on my preadolescent self and I was a little nervous about rereading it and finding out that it wasn't as good. Afraid that it would destroy the related memories I made while reading these stor
Alexa
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Around 2.5 stars.

This book's prologue is terrible.

It's an opening narration supposed to serve (as they usually do) as an introduction to the story. However, it feels like an unnecessary info dump, placed there because apparently readers are too stupid to figure stuff out on their own and need to be spoon fed all the important facts.

From then on things weren't that bad. The story is easy to read and I found the mix of Sci Fi/Fantasy really interesting. But the plot has holes and coincidences an
Alexandra
*** 6/30/19 $2.99 for Kindle. ***
Apatt
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a few Pern books in my teen, I thought they were readable but at the time I was not all that taken with them. At that age I was not too discerning, I cared nothing for characterization, dialogue or prose. I read only for fun and escapism, not for the artistry of the works. Well, I am way out of my teen now, and I have cultivated an appreciation finesse to compensate for my own deficiency in that department.

Since her recent passing tributes have been pouring in for Anne McCaffrey from nume
Bradley
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was told to read these novels many years ago, and I have no excuse I can say why it has taken so long. I am ashamed. Why did I make assumptions? I suppose I expected overused tropes and kitschy twists, since I knew this was science fiction masquerading as fantasy, not to mention dragons, dragons, dragons... But I stand corrected. At least for this first book in a long series, I stand corrected. I do feel the draw of a very open and wide horizon, a backdrop for many wonders, and I must discover ...more
Silvana
What the hell did I just read? All I can remember is that confusing prologue, breeding project, a girl who kept taking showers, and many, many people with apostrophe in their names. I gave up. My reading time is too precious for this crap. AND RAPES! SO MANY RAPES! Dragons mating led to rapes? Come on!
Susan Kennedy
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was a reread and I thoroughly enjoyed this book again. I love these characters and the story.

Lessa is such a strong female protagonist. I love her boldness and stubbornness. She does make some rash decisions, but over all she is a fantastic character. I love the Weyr leader, F'lar and his brother F'lon. Robinton shows up in these books and he is such a great character. The story itself is fantastic.

It has been 400 turns since the last threadfall and the holders and residents of Pern have de
Beige
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: zread-1-fantasy
2 stars + 1 bonus star for dragons.

This classic fantasy was interesting. I had made assumptions that since this series was still beloved it would read like a modern tale. Maybe in 1968 this did feel modern with a strong heroine proving herself in a patriarchal world. However, to me it seemed shockingly old fashioned, I expect that from Jane Austen but not from the 60s. I should have known better since I have seen every episode of Mad Men :) Parts of it read like a movie from the 40s where women
Elizabeth
Well that was some madcap dragon adventure fun but came complete with a massive doses of blast from the past sexism! DELIGHTFUL. :/
Kim
When something mentions fantasy/sci-fi and dragons the first thing that comes to most peoples minds is Pern. Even if they haven't read it. I've been hearing about the Pern books for as long as I've been reading those genres. I can remember looking at the books in the library as a kid and picking them up from shelves in bookstores but for some reason I never read a single one.

With this year being about challenging my reading habits and having to choose something for fantasy I thought it high time
Sandra
As this book was written in 1968, I'm sure everything that could be said, has been said. I'm just amazed at Anne McCaffrey's skill in crafting such a wonderful book. It feels as fresh as the day it was written.

This is the story of the planet Pern, dragons, dragonryders, and Threads that come from the Red Star every couple of hundred years.

No heavy world building here, just the world as is. As of course, it really must be!

I want a dragon of my own, right now!

Love this book and I'll be reading m
Mike (the Paladin)
This isn't the edition i read back in the dark ages. These were enjoyable books back then, they still should be. New idea at the time a cross between science fiction and fantasy.
Obsidian
Aug 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I initially got this book to participate in The Dead Writers Society genre challenge for July. I unfortunately got a PDF version of this book through my library (did not realize it until it came out of hold for me) and then just bought it. Unfortunately, that all happened after the month passed for the read. I have to keep in mind when I am doing group reads that I should see if there is a version of the book available for free or for a price that is lower than $9.99.

I have never heard of this s
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Mar 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenny (Reading Envy) by: Veronica Belmont
This is the April pick for the Sword and Laser book club. I found it as an ebook through my local library's holdings and zipped through it this weekend.

This is clearly a book I probably would have connected with more if I'd first read it as a youngling, before I was old and jaded about dragons and romance. I can see how this book set many things for the dragon-and-rider subgenre, alongside dragonrider-dragonrider romance. The story is interesting, especially the somewhat complicated social code
Veronica Belmont
I took this review from a 5-star to a 4-star in my rereading. It's Dragonflight still an excellent book? Yes. But perhaps I read now with more of a critical eye than I did almost 20 years ago.

The Chronicles of Pern contain some of the most believable and relatable dragons in fantasy, and they're truly the mold from which other dragons in the genre are cut. However, I find my issues now revolve around the human characters in the story.

Lessa and F'lar, specifically, seem pulled from a YA novel of
Into the Forest: Dragonflight, Spoilers 20 22 Jul 03, 2020 07:33AM
Into the Forest: Dragonflight, No Spoilers 13 18 Jun 01, 2020 09:27PM
Dragonflight (#1, #2, #3) 2 4 Mar 17, 2020 11:10PM
Play Book Tag: Drangonflight 4 stars (POLLS) 5 14 Mar 13, 2020 10:17AM

• Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #1
  • Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites (Tennis Shoes, #1)
  • The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern
  • Dragonheart (Pern, #21)
  • Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1)
  • Dragonharper: A Crossroads Adventure in the world of Anne McCaffrey's Pern
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #3
  • Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1)
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • Arrows of the Queen (Heralds of Valdemar, #1)
  • Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons
  • Dragongirl (Pern, #22)
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #2
  • Magician: Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga, #1)
  • Anne McCaffrey Series Reading Order: Series List - In Order: Dragonriders of Pern series, Acorna series, Catteni sequence, Brainships, The Talent series, ... (Listastik Series Reading Order Book 21)
  • Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
  • Lord Foul's Bane (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, #1)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho

Dragonriders of Pern (3 books)
  • Dragonquest (Pern, #2)
  • The White Dragon (Pern, #3)

Articles featuring this book

“Dragon kind was no less cruel than mankind. The Dragon, at least, acted from bestial need rather than bestial greed.”
~ A thought by Lessa ~”
40 likes
“My eyes are green, my hair is silver and I freckly; the rest is subject to change without notice.” 19 likes