Start by marking “Children in the Night” as Want to Read:
Children in the Night

Children in the Night

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Yosha and Asel, who come from a society that lives in darkness in caverns deep underground, search for the light which their people's traditions have never forgotten.
Published September 30th 1992 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published July 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Children in the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children in the Night

Briar Rose
*Review also posted at Briar Rose Reads

Children in the Night is a story set in total darkness. The Askirit people live in an underground world that has no sun, moon, or stars, and is too damp for fire. The only light they have ever seen is the light of sparks and luminous sea creatures. Within this world, we follow two major characters: Yosha, a tormented boy who is caught between his desire to seek light and his desire to avenge his father's death; and Asel, a strong-minded young female warrior
JacQueline Roe
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book belongs in a special category for me, something I reread almost annually. As a lover of imaginative fiction and writer myself, I hope and pray to one day write a character-driven novel which can tell the story of Christian faith in such a brilliant way. The impact on my faith has been substantial.
Peter Last
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Children in the Night was an excellent book set in a truly extraordinary time and place. The book follows characters who live in a place of eternal darkness, far beneath the surface of the earth. Navigating by feel, smell, and sound for their entire lives, these people don't know what light is.

Being an allegory of sorts, this story follows the characters through their experiences in darkness. Action, adventure, and political intrigue keep this story interesting, but no matter how good or bad thi
Lisa Rathbun
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story of cultures adapted to living in the dark but loving and seeking the light. The first part was my favorite part of the book; some of the later chapters seemed to cover too much time too quickly, but an overall good read. (See City of Ember for a different kind of story about people living underground.)
Lori
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time! I have read it many times over. I love the way the reader is forced to imagine everything in such detail because the setting is a world in complete blackness. Makes you pull from your other senses.
Tessa Fulton
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant writing!
Jenna
I read a review somewhere that made this sound like an interesting book, but I just couldn't get into this one at all.
Zachary
Michelle
Jan 09, 2011
Ashleigh
Aug 08, 2012
As a leader of Christianity Today International, Harold has been instrumental in creating an extremely successful nonprofit organization. Behind his leadership CTI has vastly expanded the number of magazines it publishes and the audience it reaches. The CTI website explains that more than 2.5 million readers currently receive the organization's 11 publications that include Christianity Today, Lead ...more
More about Harold Myra