Start by marking “Politics and the English Language” as Want to Read:
Politics and the English Language

Politics and the English Language

"Politics and the English Language" (1946) is an essay by George Orwell that criticises the "ugly and inaccurate" written English of his time and examines the connection between political orthodoxies and the debasement of language. The essay focuses on political language, which, according to Orwell, "is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to gi ...more
Published 1946

To ask other readers questions about Politics and the English Language, please sign up.
Mervyn Pitchford Hi Deland.
The phrase above relates to political language. If you listen carefully to
the words spoken by politicians they never promise anything speci…more
Hi Deland.
The phrase above relates to political language. If you listen carefully to
the words spoken by politicians they never promise anything specific, as any failure to deliver is an obvious error in their judgement. In the world of politicians, people who make errors of judgement should not have any influence, so they avoid telling the truth, if not actually telling lies.Thus they can't be blamed. They use words to create an impression, look back at the text and you can find examples of this. "The soviet press is the freest in the world." It was not.
Today, a common example of a deceptive, and to my mind abhorrent phrase is "going forward", when chosen to mean " in the future."
Going forward means making progress in the desired or intended direction, and progress is the betterment of a process or situation. You are intended to take this "progress" as the meaning in order to encourage you to take the feeling that things will be better. They don't want you to get the impression that the future is uncertain, but we all know that it is.
A politician or spokesperson for an organisation cannot let you think that their decisions may in deed turn out to be an error of judgement.
Also the word 'problem', is now banned because problems require solutions, some problems have no solutions. Politician pretend to have all the solutions by calling problems, 'issues'. An issue is the subject of a debate and therefore whatever they do they cannot have failed because they did not set out to find a solution to a problem, only to consider it and talk about it as an issue. I think these are modern examples of giving "solidarity to pure air". Words creating a vague feeling not conveying solid facts.
So many sound bites today do this,they make out that things are under control, when they are not, they are just platitudes to pacify an unquestioning mass audience.
I suggest you re-read the section where Orwell suggests the words of an apologist for the Stalinist regime in Russia, and note how the language sounds. By using euphemisms, the murder of political opponents, the detentions without trial and other atrocities are acceptable because the country is undergoing change.
I hope that this helps. I have no qualifications in the subject but I love the English language. You may like to read. 'Lost for Words' by John Humphrys, the subtitle is ' The Mangling and Manipulation of the English Language.'
(less)

Start your review of Politics and the English Language
Cecily
Note the first word of the title: Politics. It's important.

If thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought.

This essay demonstrates how political writers use language to persuade, dissemble, and deceive, and conversely, how to write factual information in a way that is honest and clear. It is also a rant that is easily misapplied to perpetuate prescriptive nonsense, regardless of context. It’s a muddle.

I hate the opening (“Most people who bother with the matter at all would a
Garima

This was an insightful and relevant lesson about the usage and analysis of English language in the Political context. Orwell with his sharp wit and influential prose has given us enough food for thought to mull over. It’s possible that next time while reading a newspaper or watching news channels, you’ll find yourself forming a critique about the manipulation of facts and trivializing of important matters in today’s times.

Here are some quotes which I found particularly wonderful:

- In our time i
Dannii Elle
The essay, in its entirety, can be found here: http://www.npr.org/blogs/ombudsman/Po...

This essay measures in at just 24 pages and yet manages to convey so much in it's punchy and impactful style. As the title so aptly describes, this concerns the politics surrounding the usage of the modern English language. Orwell's view is that Modern English has become a mess of abstractness, inaccuracies and slovenliness and this essay attempts to relay exactly where we all went so wrong.

Instead of using fr
Ammar
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a long book, yet it’s packed with instructions and ideas of how Modern English is regressing and devolving and being absurd.

Orwell stats that one must not use foreign words, or use verbal false limbs
And the use of meaningless words

He wants the English used to be assessable, concise.

Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.

Never use a long word where a short one will do

If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out

Never use th
Barry Pierce
Jul 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Orwell
Recommended to Barry by: Sanne | Booksandquills
Orwell is a man after my own heart. This essay is basically about people using the English language incorrectly and why all political writing is bad, plus, a review of Mein Kampf! Orwell's stance on the English language is the same as mine, the language is fine the way it is, stop changing it! However, I do disagree with Orwell on one thing. Orwell states that one should should never use complicated words. He says that if you think if writing a big, complicated word but there is a plain simple E ...more
B. P. Rinehart
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: College students; Goodreads long-form reviewers; people who need to know why a thesaurus is useful
Before I get to Orwell and the essay, I must do something I never thought I would do--quote the Leviathan: With Selected Variants from the Latin Edition of 1668 in a positive manner:

"Special uses of speech are these: first, to register what by cogitation we find to be the cause of anything, present or past; and what we find things present or past may produce, or effect; which, in sum, is acquiring of arts. Secondly, to show to others that knowledge which we have attained; which is to counsel an
Vipassana
Apr 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Fresh on the heels of 1984, I read Will Self's shoddy argument against all things Orwell replete with every logical fallacy in the book. Considering what a short essay this is, it seemed like a good time to read it.

Orwell's rules for writing here are specifically with respect to politics and not the literary use of language. He states it so clearly that it's surprising how anyone could think otherwise. Orwell even confesses that he tends to do the same things that he writes against in this essay
Nisreen
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfic, favourites
One of the greatest essays I have ever read about the relation between language and politics. A must-read for writers, and any one interested in deconstructing political discourse.
Orwell's precise, clear and simple language is an example of how theoretical and political discourse should be rather than the meaningless and pretentious endless formations of misused jargon we encounter nowadays in newspapers and books.
Joey
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: essays, writing
Sentence 1 : I had this burning sensation of shame while absorbing myself in this essay.
Sentence 2 : I was ashamed of myself while reading this essay.

Which sentence do you find easier to understand?

This essay is like a simple term paper with objective analyses and conclusions. Or I’d rather say that George Orwell was like a psycho-linguist studying the words we usually use as specimens. First, he presented five passages he picked from articles. Second, he discussed the theories of phraseology.
Adam Ford
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Political language – and with variations this is true of all political parties, from Conservatives to Anarchists – is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give the appearance of solidarity to pure wind."
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
People love this essay and frankly I have no idea why; it is densely written, painfully abstruse, obnoxiously drawn-out. Orwell is capable of some great stuff, like Homage to Catalonia, Shooting an Elephant, and Such, Such Were the Joys. But then he goes and pulls shit like 1984 and this dung pile and I'm left wondering. ...more
Karl-O
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Karl-O by: Laura
Orwell describes how language can affect thought. The essay is full of examples about how vague expressions convey much more unclear meanings than "simple" expressions, and how frequently used phrases can even do the thinking for you.

I believe what Orwell is talking about is true for more than just politics and for more than just the English language. Fictional and non-fictional writings are also suffering from the use of bad language. The two languages that I speak fluently (i.e. Armenian and
HajarRead
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Language is important, it is not just a combination of sounds as I used to think. A poor language implies poor ideas which imply a weak society, and poor ideas lead to a poor language... Orwell will always make me think, this is my first essay by him and surely not the last. Read it read it read it !
Andrew
May 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
“Politics and the English Language” is an essay written by the novelist George Orwell and published in 1946. It criticizes the written English of his time. Orwell argues for a writing style that is plain and transparent. The most important thing in writing is to make one’s meaning clear.

Orwell brings up numerous problems that plague writers’ works. The most important of these issues is the use of canned phrases. Many writers do not take the time to craft new sentences with select words that spec
Sam Quixote
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This pamphlet-sized publication contains George Orwell’s superb 1945 essay “Politics and the English Language” and his 1941 review of Adolf Hitler’s book “Mein Kampf”.

What seems at first a pedantic viewpoint of railing against bad language, grammar, and so on, like a 1940s version of Lynne Truss, becomes far more complex and thoughtful - while still being accessible to the general reader. Orwell objects to the bad use of the English language firstly as a writer himself and then moves onto a dif
Free download available at Faded Page.

This work is in the Canadian public domain, but may be under copyright in some countries. If you live outside Canada, check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this file.

I made the proofing (P2) of this book for DP-Canada and it will be published by Faded Page.

The essays with publication dates are:
Politics and the English language (1946)
Politics vs. Literature: an examination of Gulli
Lisa
Feb 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
You know when you stumble onto a passage in writing that articulates your thoughts for you better than you are able? In fact, helps those thoughts to grow to adult height? This essay was one of those for me, in its entirety.

It discusses our chronic lack of clarity in writing and the muddled and vague thinking unclarity props up. Now working in development, the essay feels like some combination of vaccination, antidote and prescription sunglasses.

An excerpt:
"Now that I have made this catalogue
Wiebke (1book1review)
I'll just leave this unrated as it is so short and old.
It was an interesting read, giving me something to think about and mostly wondering what he would say to the language of today's English speaking politics.
Ralph
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is intriguing to note how applicable this essay still is to the current times.
Mark Rice
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't be put off by the word 'politics' in the title. This guide deals with language - spoken or written - and how to express oneself clearly in words. Orwell's rules of writing are as relevant today as they were when he wrote them, perhaps even more so in this age of grammatical vandalism. Using examples of vacuous political writing, Orwell critically shreds them, driving home the importance of clarity and specificity in language. To make his points, Orwell critiques shambolic political prose, ...more
Mark Joyce
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This essay should be required reading for anybody who writes so much as a daily email or social media post. Virtually every word continues to resonate more than seventy years after it was published and this passage, to take just one of many examples, could have been written yesterday:

“The English language becomes ugly and inaccurate because our thoughts are foolish, but the slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts. If thought corrupts language, language can a
Zohal
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Read this for one of my assignments for university ... it's really invaluable and I recommend everyone gives it a read if they want to write better.

I agree with almost all of Orwell's assertions :)
Sumirti Singaravel

......to make pretentiousness unfashionable.

The very essence of this majestic essay of George Orwell is to elucidate and help the general (interested) mass to understand how far language as a tool is used repeatedly to manipulate, subvert and to lie in the realm of politics. Or, if one needs to be more precise, this essay is about how language is being used by those in power to gain their desired ends, which in most cases is morally unjust, without ever irking the masses whom they p
Mounir
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this essay, first published in 1946, Orwell criticizes the political writing of his time, or rather, the political writing in almost any era. The use of cliches and hackneyed idioms instead of using one's own simple expressions; the use of apparently "scientific" terms to give the impression of being objective; the use of sophisticated and "long words" in order to hide some gruesome fact; the use of apparently "neutral" words which give the impression of detachment and thus hiding any emotion ...more
Sunny
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this very short little essay. I’m a big fan of language and am well aware of the way it can be used to influence people both at a micro and the macro political level. Orwell wrote this in around 1945 and it still applies today probably even more so. The book is about the way media and politicians and consultants today in my case, have an inability to just talk straight forward English and will find the longest most convoluted ways to express a simple idea. As Orwell implicates, often the ...more
José Cruz Parker
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In Politics and the English Language, George Orwell argues that politics and language are deeply related: a widespread abuse of language has political causes, but political corruption is partly due to an impoverished language. Orwell also believed that utterly inept English prose could be seen most frequently in political pamphlets and propaganda.

One of the text's main points is that language and thought are interrelated. This means that language has an effect on the way we think and viceversa.
Will Vousden
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining and eloquent polemic over the declining quality of people's use of English. He cuttingly and wittily takes apart the "problems" with modern English through selected examples and parodies of his own.

He is especially offended by insincerity (obscured by wordy and opaque turns of speech in which all meaning is lost) and laziness in writing (in resorting to pre-fabricated phrases and worn-out metaphors that are chosen for convenience rather than aptness). He goes on to argue that the
Fergus Murray
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics
The title essay here is the one piece of writing that I most want everybody in the world to read. The weasel-wording and deliberate distortions of today's politicians, news media and adverts are just as poisonous as they were in Orwell's day. While their techniques are more sophisticated than ever, the underlying tactics are still very much the same as those Orwell tears apart here. As long as people fail to arm themselves against these things, democracy can never run smoothly.

I also rate 'Why I
Mohammed Al-Thani
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
George Orwell's "Politics and the English language" enables readers to look majorly at Orwell's notions on how English is used in the contemporary world. Having said that he states five different essays which he believes are colloquial and use many syllables to explain a single paragraph. Humor radiates through Orwell's writing, while making strong statements on his work and being subjective about it. In contrast, this short book felt biased which may offended contemporary writers on how their E ...more
Diz
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics, education, essay
In this essay, George Orwell warns us that using overly complicated language and tired phrases can obscure meaning. This is especially true in the world of politics. He provides several good examples of political language that obscure actual meaning. One particularly powerful example he provides is pacification, which actually means killing people and destroying their villages. I think this is an important essay to read in this age of "alternate facts."

• Why Orwell Matters
  • On Suicide
  • Time Will Run Back: A Novel About the Rediscovery of Capitalism
  • On the Jewish Question (Readings in Modern Jewish History)
  • The Death of the Author
  • The Market for Liberty
  • Why Not Socialism?
  • The Open Society and Its Enemies - Volume Two: Hegel and Marx
  • The Ministry of Truth: The Biography of George Orwell's "1984"
  • The Responsibility of Intellectuals
  • Reason
  • What I Believe
  • Lord Arthur Savile's Crime
  • Letter from Birmingham Jail
Eric Arthur Blair, better known by his pen name George Orwell, was an English author and journalist. His work is marked by keen intelligence and wit, a profound awareness of social injustice, an intense opposition to totalitarianism, a passion for clarity in language, and a belief in democratic socialism.

In addition to his literary career Orwell served as a police officer with the Indian Imperial