Start by marking “Kneller's Happy Campers” as Want to Read:
Kneller's Happy Campers

Kneller's Happy Campers

Kneller's Happy Campers is a strange, dark but funny tale set in a world very much like our own but it's an afterlife populated by people who have killed themselves - many of them are young, and most of them bear the marks of their death... bullet wounds, broken necks...(those who have over-dosed are known as 'Juliets').

When Mordy, our hero, discovers that his girlfriend f
Published May 7th 2009 by Chatto Windus (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Kneller's Happy Campers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kneller's Happy Campers

Το Άσχημο Ρύζι Καρολίνα
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Το by: Γιώργος
Μια έξυπνη και σύντομη ιστορία, ένα διήγημα επάνω στην ματαιότητα της ανθρώπινης ύπαρξης, δοσμένη με εξαιρετικές δόσεις χιούμορ και τρυφερότητας. Πριν 11 χρόνια γυρίστηκε μάλιστα ως ταινία και έναν από τους κεντρικούς ήρωες, τον Kneller, τον υποδύεται ο Tom Waits (Wristcutters: A Love Story, 2006). Μια άλλη εκδοχή του διηγήματος έχει κυκλοφορήσει και ως graphic novel με τίτλο "Pizzeria Kamikaze".

Είναι αυτό το είδος των ιστοριών όπου η φαντασία μοιάζει ως μια κάπως διεστραμμένη εκδοχή της πραγμα
Stylo Fantome
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I saw the movie first and was curious when I realized it was based on a book.

I like the sort of disjointed, clipped way of storytelling the author has
sj
Nov 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yorwtfiw
Originally posted here.

Everybody hates him, except Uzi. I think there's this thing that after you off yourself, with the way it hurts and everything – and it hurts like hell – the last thing you give a shit about is somebody with nothing on his mind except singing about how unhappy he is. I mean if you gave a flyin' fuck about stuff like that you'd still be alive, with a depressing poster of Nick Cave over your bed, instead of winding up here.

Etgar Keret's Kneller's Happy Campers manages to be
Jen
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is such a short novella that it reads almost like a script to the movie Wristcutters: A Love Story. There's a lot very similar, which makes the movie a true adaptation. At the same time, the movie offers a bit of extra details that aren't included in the novel. Hollywood classically tacked on a happy ending to the movie while the book's ending is truer to the point of the book: the pointlessness of Mordy's hell and how the things you want only happen after they are no longer important.
Guillermo Jiménez
No tenía el gusto de haber leído a Keret. Cuando esta editorial, Sexto Piso, publicó Extrañando a Kissinger recuerdo que causó cierto revuelo en la crítica nacional. Por una u otra razón no llegué a leerle hasta ahora con esta Pizzaría Kamikaze. Desde los títulos de los relatos te atrapa. Abre con La historia del conductor de autobús que quería ser Dios, en el cual no hace falta agregar absolutamente nada para explicar de qué va. El punto de escisión es el estilo fluido y campechano en que va na ...more
Vio
August 2017: I also read the French translation. What else could I find? :) I am now also in possession of the original Hebrew, but cannot say I could understand it. :D
LE
I wanted to read the graphic novel based on this book by Keret, but when I went to the library I realized I had ordered the German translation and I read it. I also enjoyed it!
I was a little confused by the changing of the names and now I am looking forward to the sunny day when I am going to be able to read this book in Hebre
Roslyn
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Keret's whimsical, deadpan style really appeals to me, but this novella, while quirky and filled with his trademark irreverent black humour, didn't work as well for me as his short stories (and non-fiction, but is different in feel to his fiction) I kept feeling that it needed to be either shorter or a lot longer. Still, an interesting read.
Mona
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
An unintelligible but funny book:)
Michael Loring
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It’s very hard to put into words this incredibly odd story. It’s set in a world that’s just like ours, but is slightly worse and full of people who have commited suicide. People walk around with holes in their heads, gruesome scars along their neck and arms, and blue faces; all according to how they did it. It’s a very unique tale about Mordy, a man who killed himself after the breakup between him and his girlfriend Desiree. When he discovers that Desiree, too, has commited suicide and now resid ...more
Simay Yildiz
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

The blurb of the book really does explain what it is: "a strange, dark but funny tale." A love story, in essence, but there's a lot more than that in it. Mordy, after killing himself, find himself in the afterlife world, which really is a lot like ours. The difference is that people walk around baring the wounds of how they killed themselves, bullet holes in their bodies and such. At the bar he discovers, Mordy meets Uzi and they become friends. And then, when Mord
Isaac VR
Sólo tengo una palabra para describir esta colección de relatos: SOBREVALORADA.

No es culpa de Keret si no de todos los hipsters que clasifican como "obra maestra" a todo lo que diga cosas relacionadas con el infierno, las drogas, algunas relaciones de pareja que trascienden la vida y la muerte y personajes con alguna tara o megalomanía.

Sin embargo, en mi decepción sí encontré una obra maestra el relato "Un coctel del infierno" es obra de una inventiva, maestría narrativa y frescura que le podría
Patrick Garrett
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the third of Keret's books that I've read, and every time I start one, I don't know know how the chaos of the first pages will ever resolve by the end of his characteristically short tales. But every time I turn the last page, they seem to make it, scraping in under some chain-link gate, closing on a strip mall comic book storefront as the caffeinated characters dance like extinguishing florescent bulbs inside. I enjoy every word he writes. After I read a sentence, it seems like it shoul ...more
Luke
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. I've wanted to read this book for years, ever since I saw the film it inspired: 'Wristcutters: A Love Story', which is one of my absolute favorites. There's definitely some key differences between the book and the film; I liked several elements of the film better. What I'm really torn on is the ending; at first I was really mad that it differed from the film's beautiful conclusion, but after letting it digest for a while, I actually think it's kind of perfect.
Frank Mundo
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
At only 86 pages, I’m not sure what to call this book – a short novella? A long short story. Either way, it doesn’t matter. I call it good reading -- an extremely enjoyable and memorable read from beginning to end.

Basically, it’s a dark and kind of magical picaresque story in which we follow roommates Mordy (our hero and narrator) and his rambunctious German friend Uzi on their journey through an unnamed alternate “unreality” populated entirely by suicide victims on a seemingly hopeless quest to
Aaron
Aug 17, 2014 rated it liked it
A couple of years ago after I broke up with my girlfriend of 3 years I watched the movie Wristcutters. And I absolutely loved the vibe it captures because it displays the familiar feeling of stasis and absurdity present in my own world. As a matter of fact, after we broke up, I started working at pizza place and taking long walks around my lower middle class suburban town. On these walks you'd see tons of people driving past in their cars, but on the sidewalks and parks nary a soul under the age ...more
Lunar Lunacy
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Short story lovers, possibly bizarro genre fans, those who like dark humour
It's extremely difficult to make suicide heartwarming, but Keret manages it. For anyone who enjoyed 'Wristcutters', rest assured that the story that inspired the film is just as enjoyable. Where the film gives more of an overview of the story, 'Kneller's Happy Campers' is straight from Mordy's point of view. (Oh, and all the names are different to the film.)

I am reluctant to give much away, as it is very short. I will say that I loved the Chapter titles. They foreshadow what will happen, but do
Yair Ben-Zvi
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Etgar Keret impresses with a novella that shows his continuing growth as a writer and a imaginative force. The book slips in a few cliches now and again and even with suspension of disbelief there are a few odd bits and ends that don't quite add up, but these are like specks here and there in what is otherwise an intriguing and genuinely moving story.

Keret deals with a difficult (to put it as lightly as possible) subject, suicide, in a casual, almost nonchalant way but somehow still manages to b
Holly
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
(no spoilers) You'd think with less than a hundred pages it'd be difficult to get attached to these characters, but it's not. Heck, I feel like I have a better friendship with them than I do people I've known my whole life. I watched the film version (Wristcutters: A Love Story) before I read this and I loved it, the only reason I knew this book existed was because I saw it on the credits.
And I'm going to do the unthinkable, I think I prefer the film but only in this sense... I prefer the endin
Ro
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm pretty surprised how true the movie was to the book. Nonetheless, it was still a great little read. The names were different and a few elements were changed, but the same dark humour that I love so much about Wristcutters: A Love Story was prevalent in this book, the movie's inspiration.

I'll have to admit that the ending took me by surprise, though. It's not entirely unpleasant, but it's definitely bitter-sweet.

This would have been a great novel, but it works lovely as a novella as well. Th
Leka

Racconti, qualcuno breve, qualcun altro molto breve.
Tutti abbozzi di... un mondo parallelo appena fuori dalla porta di casa. E del cuore.
Laura García
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
At first I wasn't sure about this kind of reading but I have to say that I really liked it. It's differrent and dark but also it's very funny , interesting and cute.
Sol González
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, cuento
Todo comenzó un jueves que estaba trabajando desde casa, avanzando con mis pendientes. Ese día Agus me dijo: ¿me acompañas? voy a la presentación de un libro de un autor que me recomendaron.

Voy, dije. Y sí... fui.

Comenzamos con el pie izquierdo, no encontraba lugar, ya era tarde y los estacionamientos cierran temprano. Para cuando llegamos y compramos los libros, el autor avisó que llegaría tarde y mientras yo pensaba que el destino nos decía que nos fueramos a casa y no lo vieramos. Yo tenía f
AR
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kneller's Happy Campers fue publicado originalmente en 1998. En 2006 hicieron una adaptación a novela gráfica y le cambiaron el nombre a Pizzeria Kamikaze.

La edición de Sexto Piso incluye los relatos: “Historia del conductor de autobús que quería ser dios”, “El deschavete de Nimrod”, “El coctel del infierno” y “Útero”.

“Pizzeria Kamikaze” es lo más cercano a una novela que ha escrito Etgar Keret y supuestamente (eso fue lo que dijo en la FIL 2012) la escribió tras el suicidio de un amigo cercano
Shadazz
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Lo agrego a mi canon personal, en primera porque el lenguaje (en la traducción al español) es estupendo, me imagino a mis amigos patanes hablando de chicas. Después quizá porque me puedo reir sin culpabilidad de cosas realmente desafortunadas (such as suicide yes).

Esta edición (la de sexto piso) trae el deschavete de nimrod, y el coctel del infierno. Estos deben ser de mis historias favoritas de Keret, junto con otras de Extrañando a Kissinger, en el primero pffff es una combinación a la que pod
Ilgvars
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I heard that Etgar Keret is the hippest writer of modern Israel and a voice of a generation. I also read a 6 page interview with him on Rigas Laiks finding myself hooked enough to search for some of his work.
So I read this little story. It reads fast. The language is simple and sometimes I had a feeling that it is too simple. Like something I could be able to write or I think I could be able to write, so he gained some sympathy points immediately and all my attention.
The issues addressed seemed
Anna
If anyone wants to make a dark comedy movie of this, they'd make..... a killing.

No, but for real, this is the kind of thing that would (and should!) have a..... cult following.

And while comedy usually comes in threes, I can't think of a third atrocious death-pun in a row, but nevertheless, I hope this reflects the mood of the novella appropriately.

It was a fun read, refreshing in its way (after reading one too many heavy-handed, hamfisted story about depressed teenagers, a more lighthearted stor
Lis Gaibar
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me gustan los autores que no tienen miedo a definir un mundo casi absurdo de tal manera que el lector lo crea plausible. Me gusta el estilo de Keret, sus historias y sobre todo su forma de acabarlas. La manera de concluir algo, decirlo así directamente, para dar después una pequeña esperanza al lector de que no es un final como tal. Quizás porque la lectura me ha recordado a los relatos de un amigo, el libro me ha gustado más.
Creo que Pizzería Kamikaze es una de esas lecturas que no se pueden r
Danielle Calhoun
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I REALLY WISH that this was a full length novel instead of a short story. I love the entire concept. The movie based on this short story is one of my favorites - and while I wish the endings were the same for both, I can see why the short story ended the way it did... because it will linger in your brain for some time! The movie is a touch better SOLELY because of the song - if you've seen it, you'll know which one I'm talking about. ;) This was a quick, fascinating, not-at-all depressing read. ...more
Roberto González
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una lectura ligera como primera impresión, aunque con el paso delas hojas y las historias, sobresale una fibra mucho más compleja, que invita a la reflexión camuflajeada en úteros hermosos, choferes que asìpiraron a ser dios, suicidas que huyen de infiernos vívos para llegar a paisajes lúgubres, y todo para entender que, son los pequeños milagros cotidianos, esos a los que poco atendemos, los que realmente nos hacen.

sé que hay milagros, pero hago como si no sucedieran, para que sigan acontecien
Veronica
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it
For the longest time, I had no idea that Wristcutters was based off of a book and, when I found out, I had to have it. To my surprise, it was only a 90-something page short story! Because of this, I had expected it to be a story focused on Kneller himself, and that the rest of the movie was just written around that.

Again, to my surprise, the movie and book are nearly identical (with the exception of names and the ending). I do wish that I could have read the book with a fresh look and no prior k
  • Friendly Fire: A Duet
  • The Book of Intimate Grammar
  • Samir and Yonatan
  • The Oxford History Of The Biblical World
  • Trafalgar
  • De man die zijn haar kort liet knippen
Etgar Keret is an Israeli writer known for his short stories, graphic novels, and scriptwriting for film and television. His books had been published in more than thirty languages.

Keret has received the Prime Minister's award for literature, as well as the Ministry of Culture's Cinema Prize. The short film Malka Lev Adom (Skin Deep, 1996), which Keret wrote and directed with Ran Tal, won an Israel
“Say,' Uzi pressed on, 'is it true that when you people go out on a job they promise you seventy nymphomaniac virgins in Kingdom Come? All for you, Solico?'

'Sure, they promise,' Nassar said, 'and look what it got me. Lukewarm vodka.'

'So you're just a sucker in the end, eh, ya Nasser,' Uzi gloated.

'Sure thing,' Nasser nodded. 'And you, what did they promise you?”
2 likes