Start by marking “Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #1)” as Want to Read:
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland #1)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  206,678 ratings  ·  8,668 reviews
After a tumble down the rabbit hole, Alice finds herself far away from home in the absurd world of Wonderland. As mind-bending as it is delightful, Lewis Carroll’s 1865 novel is pure magic for young and old alike.
Published May 1st 1997 by Public Domain Books (first published November 26th 1865)

To ask other readers questions about Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, please sign up.
Butterfly_Wings8 No it doesn't but there's a separate edition for "Through the Looking Glass"…moreNo it doesn't but there's a separate edition for "Through the Looking Glass" (less)
Liana I got a copy from Amazon UK and it's in English. I haven't been able to find the German one.

·  206,678 ratings  ·  8,668 reviews

Start your review of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #1)
Manny
"Good gracious!" said Alice, "I do believe I'm inside a review!"

She turned to the Hatter and the March Hare.

"Well, let me see. Here is the title, and here is the date I read it. That must be today. Now I need to explain the plot and the overall point."

"There is no plot," said the March Hare disagreeably.

"And there is no point," agreed the Hatter.

He poured a little hot tea on the Dormouse's nose, making it wake with a start.

"The book breaks new ground," it said rapidly in a high, sing-song
emma
my soul is healed.

------------

when I find myself in times of trouble
Lewis Carroll comes to me
speaking words of wisdom
"just reread"

------------

THIS IS MY FAVORITE BOOK.

No qualifier. No excuse. No “one of my favorites.” This one is it, y’all.

Well, also Through the Looking Glass. But THAT’S PRACTICALLY THE SECOND HALF OF THE SAME BOOK. (And other examples of my inability to make decisions or commit in any way to anything.)

I currently have 18 copies of this
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
*Reread July 2017*
Reread this for booktube-a-thon 2017 just because I was falling behind. Obviously I loved it (again).

*Reread January 2016*
Read for the school this time and I read the Puffin In Bloom edition. I loved the new illustrations!
Luca Ambrosino
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
English (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland) / Italiano

«Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do: once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it, “and what is the use of a book,” thought Alice, “ without pictures or conversations ?”»

Right from the beginning and from the first assertion of Alice, we understand that her thoughts encapsulate hard truth that make us smile

Ahmad Sharabiani
868. Alice’s Adventures In Wonderland, Lewis Carroll
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (commonly shortened to Alice in Wonderland) is an 1865 novel written by English author Charles Lutwidge Dodgson over the pseudonym Lewis Carroll. It tells of a girl named Alice falling through a rabbit hole into a fantasy world populated by peculiar, anthropomorphic creatures. The tale plays with logic, giving the story lasting popularity with adults as well as with children. It is considered to be one of the
Miranda Reads
Mar 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I should've read this one sooner
“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
I needed an adequate amount of nostalgia to guide me through this level of crazy.
Little Alice fell
d
o
w
n
the hole,
bumped her head
and bruised her soul!
Everyone knows this story. Alice falls down the rabbit hole and into Wonderland - a place wholly unexpected, trivial and unforgettable. She meets several good friends
Chloe
3rd read: 22-23 July 2019 (Audiobook)
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
Unpopular Opinion

This took me a long time to get through...I found it sometimes tedious to be quite honest. Sorry. I guess I just don't love the nonsensical fun of this as much as everyone else seems to love it.

I enjoyed the pictures and I really liked this edition and I enjoyed it well enough, but as I said, I just don't love it as much as a lot of others do.
Ilse
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk
Alice-Wonderland12

“Well, I should like to be a little larger, sir,
if you wouldn’t mind,” said Alice : “ three inches
is such a wretched height to be.”
“It is a very good height indeed !” said the
Caterpillar angrily, rearing itself upright as it
spoke (it was exactly three inches high).

Today, reading a friend’s review on Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass, I searched the garden shed for an edition of Alice in Wonderland illustrated by Lisbeth Zwerger which I read ages ago, to have
J.L.   Sutton
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'd read Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland a few years ago; however, I just felt like picking it up again and I'm glad I did. I don't know why, but I enjoyed Alice's observations and the humor more this time. There's also something that's fun and a bit surprising when we're reading something (like Peter Pan or The Wizard of Oz) we thought we knew really well (because we've been exposed to the stories for so long even if we haven't read the actual story). I know my ratings are ...more
James
Having just finished Alice in Wonderland, the first thing that occurs to me is that I wish I had read it years ago. I've known the story of Alice for years thanks to Disney and the Mad Hatter on Batman, but for some reason I didn't get around to reading this as a child. While I expected to like it, I never realized what a joy this book would be.

Carroll was a logician, so it should come as no surprise that he uses his expertise in that field to create many hilarious logical fallacies. But what
Johann (jobis89)
"We're all mad here"

I'm not going to insult your intelligence by giving a plot summary for this book as I think every person on the planet knows the premise. However, for the sake of completion and satisfying my OCD tendencies... Alice is a young girl who falls through a rabbit hole into a fantasy world, meeting lots of weird and peculiar characters. And that's it.

Well, the Mad Hatter isn't wrong. I started this book excited at the premise of reading a classic that I don't recall ever having
Leo .
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Why Alice! What Adventures you have had?

Happy, fun, perilous, enlightening, sometimes sad

A man, in a Hat, scatty, as a rabid bat

A Mouse, a crazy Hare, and Twins that are Fat

A Nasty Cook, and a Grinning Cheshire Cat

A Tea Party, a Catapiller smoking a Hookah, a Mushroom, one side makes her Tall

The other side of the Mushroom, makes her Small

An invitation, from a Fishfootman, and a very tired Dormouse

The Cheshire Cat appears in a tree, directing Alice to the March Hare's House

Such fun!!!
Matthew
If I didn't already know the story and the basic plot points of Alice in Wonderland from movies, books, and other pop culture retellings, I think this book would have been very confusing. I didn't realize how short the Wonderland part of Alice's story is so, despite the bizarre writing, it was a pretty quick read. In fact, if you are really into fairy tales, I imagine this could be a one sitting book.

The intro to the book mentioned this being psychedelic fiction. Having grown up frequently
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Love the book! Love the cover! Love the graphics!

Mel
Emily May
I'm still not sure whether I think Lewis Carroll created a fantastic piece of fantasy or a great big pile of nonsense. I suspect it's a combination of the two. I like some of Alice's adventures - really, how could I not? - but Wonderland was always leaning a bit towards the negative side of bizarre for me.
Irena BookDustMagic
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reads
description

I think it was a good choice for me to reread one of my favorite childhood stories before I read the one I really wanted to: Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There.

When I was a little girl I LOVED the Disney movie and, since this book has some different aspects, it is no wonder I find the movie to be better.
However, it was still a really enjoyable ride everytime I read it.

description
Everlasting quotes are the reason this book is classic, and I love them all!

description
I have always wondered what
Gary
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alice In Wonderland is a particularly rich and whimsical story, with something new to discover in every reading.
Alice herself is quite a character, and is able to stand up for herself against the strange and seemingly illogical world of wonderland. As she comes across each of the weird and wonderful creatures - like the White Rabbit, the Duchess and Cheshire Cat, the Caterpillar, the March Hare, Mad Hatter and Doormouse, the Gryphon and Mock Turtle, and the Queen and her court (as the Gryphon
Michael Finocchiaro
You may have seen the Disney film or been to a play, but most everyone growing up in a Western European-based culture has had some contact in some form with Alice and her adventures. I cannot recommend high enough actually reading Lewis Carroll's superb book written for his daughter Alice's bedtime story. There is a lovely innocence to Alice and a startling and surprising freshness to all the creatures and characters she meets. It does sometimes feel like an acid trip, but then so does Charlie ...more
karen
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
these are my favorite illustrations for alice...
Bhavik (Semi Hiatus)
I honestly dont know what to rate it bc I dont even know how I feel about this. I am bitter about certain aspects but then I wonder why am I bitter about them when I have clearly seen weirder shit in some other books? Why does this make me feel any different?
If anything this book encourages the imagination to grow!
I hate Alice tho...she's annoying than all the adults in A series of Unfortunate events put together!

------
Read this more than a decade ago and dont remember a single thing.
Rereading
Stacy
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this, and being read by Michael York and a distinctive touch.
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is popularly known to many as a children's book, and Lewis Carroll admitted to writing it for the little girls of the Dean of the college he taught at. A quote from C. S. Lewis, in The Three Ways of Writing For Children (1952), "A children's story which is enjoyed only by children is a bad children's story. The good ones last, because a children's story is the best art-form for
Amelia
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy reading this book.
If you would like a full review let me know!
Manny
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to learn Icelandic
[From Litli prinsinn]

[Original review, Aug 12 2018]

My attempt to learn Icelandic just by reading continues with the Icelandic translation of Alice in Wonderland, another of my favourite books. I've now finished my first pass and am going back to the beginning, copying it out and running it through the little corpus script we're developing. I've combined the texts for the two books. This lets me get a snapshot of how familiar the vocabulary is on the first page of Alice, which I've just finished
Saadia B. || Hustle, Bustle and Hurdles
Alice finds herself in a Wonderland when she follows the rabbit down the hole. There she meets a lot of characters, some helpful while others plain evil. In her Wonderland, everyone has a story and a lesson to teach.

Loved the Cheshire Cat and the Hatter most as both are different, quirky and honest - making all the sense in the world with their nonsense.
Sophia Triad
"I don't think ..."
"Then you shouldn't talk."

I am sure that everyone have read/watched/listened/enjoyed/hated different versions of the story of Alice going down the rabbit hole.

"Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it."

My favourite version is definitely the one that Neo experiences in Matrix. The movie references the book through various homages and follows eager to learn Neo into an impossible land.

"Curiouser and curiouser!"

Just like curious Alice landed in a peculiar world.

"We're
Natalie Vellacott
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
“If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”

From the genre of literary nonsense comes this classic work loved by children and adults alike.

As Alice slips into a dream, she finds herself chasing after a white rabbit with a waist coat and pocket watch. Apparently, he is late for something important. He heads down a rabbit
Tracey
"Curiouser and curioser" said Tracey after reading this as an adult.
Everyone knows the story of the little girl who followed a rabbit (who was very late) down a rabbit hole, and found herself in a land of nonsense and strange creatures, like The mad Hatter, who is stuck at a permanent tea party thanks to an argument with time (the person not actual time obviously) and The Cheshire cat , who comes and goes and often only his grin is left floating about. But my absolute favourite is the mock
Nina
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
It’s been years since I’ve last read this book but it was once again a very enjoyable read! :)
Zenki the Hermit
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I ever read and the most nostalgic book I read this year. It was amazing going back to Wonderland <3

• Chaucer's Canterbury Tales
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1)
  • Peter Pan
  • The Little Prince
  • الفأرة البيضاء
  • The Secret Garden
  • The Legends of King Arthur and His Knights
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1)
  • Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)
  • الراعي الشجاع
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Matilda
  • Anna Karenina
  • Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
  • A Christmas Carol
  • The Hobbit, or There and Back Again
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (2 books)
“How puzzling all these changes are! I'm never sure what I'm going to be, from one minute to another.” 508 likes
“And what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversation?” 428 likes