Start by marking “Penguin Best Australian Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Penguin Best Australian Short Stories

Penguin Best Australian Short Stories

liked it 3.00  ·  Rating details ·  42 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Set in cities, in suburbia and in the outback, this selection of short stories explores the subtleties, the humour and the sadness of human life. This book includes stories by E. Dyson, E. Jolley, M. Wilding, P. Carey and T. Winton.
Published April 3rd 2001 by Penguin Australia (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Penguin Best Australian Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penguin Best Australian Short Stories

liked it 3.00  ·

Ape
2009 bookcrossing journal:

I have been reading this book on and off for the last few months. Not that it is a bad book, just that you can't get stuck into short stories the same way as a novel, and I would read one story now and then and enjoy the stories.

I guess like all collections of stories, you like some more than others. This was an interesting collection though, as it kind of took you through over 100 years of Australian history. The collection was published in 1998, and the earliest story
Jan
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Presented in chronological order from 1859 to modern day, this Australian collection provides insight into the issues and concerns of their period. Unlike many modern writers, most of these early writers do not feel the need to provide a "surprise" ending, but rather let the story stand alone. That is enough to commend them as far as I'm concerned.
Bree
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't finish this book. The first few stories were interesting and engaging, but I struggled from about page 100 onwards.
Liz
Jun 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
I'm not a fan of short stories.....especially not boring short stories. A talented short story writer has to grab your attention and make you care about their characters or/and plight within the first few paragraphs, otherwise what is your motivation to keep reading?

And I know this might be 'un-austalian' to say this, especially on Australia Day.....but I don't care for stories that sentimentalise the outback, the bush, the battler or any other cliched clap-trap that I am supposed to identify wi
Jenny Downing
This chronological collection was interesting from the point of view of the sociological development of Australian writing. Some gems here - some gruesome writing too!!!
Raj
Mar 18, 2017
Alan
Jan 09, 2008
Lynda Vermillion
rated it did not like it
Feb 07, 2014