Start by marking “Healing Young Brains: The Neurofeedback Solution; Drug-Free Treatment for Childhood Disorders -- Including Autism, ADHD, Depression, and Anxiety” as Want to Read:

3.12  ·  Rating details ·  34 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Neurofeedback is a scientifically proven form of brain-wave feedback that trains the childas brain to overcome slow brain-wave activity, and increase and maintain its speed permanently. Neurofeedback is quick, noninvasive, and cost effective. In fact, 80 percent of the time, neurofeedback is effective without any of the side effects associated with drugs commonly used for ...more
Published May 15th 2009 by Hampton Roads Publishing Company (first published April 14th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Healing Young Brains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing Young Brains

Josh
Apr 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I thought that Healing Young Brains was a very interesting book. I had never heard of Neurofeedback before, but it sounds like an interesting alternate therapy to drugs for almost any behavioral disorder in children.

This book provides a good descriptions of the disorders with clear and simple watchlists with possible symptoms to watch.

This book was not overly technical and clearly was meant only as an introduction to brainwave therapy. Thus proving accessible to the lay reader.

I enjoyed the s
andrea
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
I am a school counselor and I requested this book with the hope that it would be a resource for me and for parents of my students. My biggest problem with this book is the lack of rigorous, scientific research to support the claims of the authors. I have particular reservations about the author's discussion of autism and it's causes and treatments. Some of their recommendations (dietary changes, anti-fungal medications) are not necessarily supported by the research, but are probably harmless and ...more
Cheryl
Apr 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have about 50 pages to go in this book. I can't put it down. I'm learning so much about an effective alternative to medication (without serious side effects) for treating ADHD, dyslexia, sleep disorders, depression, anxiety. A fascinating book...

I found this book very enlightening. The fact that neurofeedback can't be patented and drugs are able to be patented explains a lot about why there is so little research in this area. We know can train our muscles to improve their function, we can trai
Kim Brown
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reference
Only skimmed sections. Saved for future reference.
Trent
There are two ways to look at this book. Either you're coming from the point of view of a scientist or as a concerned reader.

If you're the concerned reader, this book is fascinating. I had some idea of what went into diagnosing this neurological disorders, but appreciated the checklist system they use to determine the severity. This book includes many stories of neurofeedback's success and the ways in which it can help dysregulated brainwaves by making it into an interactive game. Other routes t
Eden
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
Neurofeedback is a form of biofeedback where you learn to regulate your brainwave patterns to promote mental and physical health.
This book focuses on the benefits of neurofeedback for childhood emotional, cognitive, and behavioral problems including ADHD, autism, and learning problems.
The authors are passionate about spreading the word about drug-free approaches to these common diagnoses, and the particular benefits of neurofeedback, which is noninvasive and relatively cost-effective.
The th
Tara
Apr 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents
Shelves: first-reads
I did not know much about neurofeedback before, so this book was a good primer on the subject starting out with an overview of the process. Then it goes into some specific applications and maladies that could be treated. Though the title says "healing young brains", they also address the fact that neurofeedback is an effective treatment for adults as well.

I skimmed several chapters after realizing that many of them were recaps of cases. Not that they were bad, but I just was not interested in t
Rosemary
May 18, 2009 added it
Recommends it for: family members affected by children with brain disorders
This book is a great introduction to an alternative method of treatment for children with brain disorders. These types of problems are so much harder for parents and family members to deal with and to understand. t seems that they are even difficult for pediatricians to fully diagnose and treat.

The section on diet and nutrients is also great info to help balance the child's diet.

I would have liked to have seen references made to infants under 1 year of age with disorders such as epilepsy.
Denise
Mar 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Blerg. A bunch of hype about how neurofeedback (by doctors who provide neurofeedback as their business) will fix anything that ails you, but I still don't know really how or why it's supposed to work. Plus a lot of tripe about autism and vaccines, organic food, blah blah blah. Worst of all, it was INCREDIBLY repetitive - even sometimes within the same chapter (or the prologue!), just to stretch it out into enough info to make a book. Avoid.
Allison
Apr 21, 2009 rated it did not like it
Really, I put it down after the words 'cure autism.' As a speech-pathologist who works with autistic children, some of whom have done neurofeedback, I was hoping that this book would offer an explanation into how exactly this works. I didn't feel this book did that at all. I felt it was more of a pep rally for neurofeedback.
Lynn
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it
General guideline. I could use some of these in application. I was seeking some details on the waves interpretation themselves. Their QEEG write up seems different from what I'm looking at. Overall a good outline but for specifics you need to get another book.
Kim
Jun 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
There is a lot of anecdotal evidence in this book. Still, I found it interesting especially the chapter on nutrition.
Nora Olmo
very good..............
Naela
Sep 24, 2010 is currently reading it
BE MORE POSITIVE AND ALWAYS OPEN YOUR MIND NOT YOUR MOUTH..!!
Jessica
Carrie
May 19, 2009
Kata
Apr 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
I just received this in the mail. I cant wait to get started.
Cheryl Clarkin