Start by marking “The Overlook (Harry Bosch, #13; Harry Bosch Universe, #17)” as Want to Read:
The Overlook (Harry Bosch, #13; Harry Bosch Universe, #17)

The Overlook

(Harry Bosch #13)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  36,753 ratings  ·  1,879 reviews
Published (first published May 22nd 2007)

·  36,753 ratings  ·  1,879 reviews

Start your review of The Overlook (Harry Bosch, #13; Harry Bosch Universe, #17)
Tim
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Easily, one of my favorite Bosch novels. Excellent story, superbly written and Len Cariou is outstanding as narrator. 10 of 10 stars!
James Thane
I first read this story when it was serialized in the New York Times Magazine. Following that, Connelly expanded the story and published it as a novel. I remember enjoying the serialized version, but, as one would expect, the novel winds up being a fuller and richer experience.

As the story opens, Detective Harry Bosch has just been reassigned to the L.A.P.D.'s prestigious Homicide Special Squad. He's sitting up at midnight, waiting for his first call out. When it comes, he's directed to a homici
Lyn
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Connelly has made a name for himself by creating the characters Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller.

In The Overlook, Connelly’s 2007 entry into the Harry Bosch files, the mystery writer takes on a case where Bosch must work with the FBI in a suspected terrorist case.

This is the 13th Harry Bosch novel (Connelly began the series with The Black Echo in 1992) and the LAPD detective again demonstrates his Holmes-esque attention to detail and also his inability to follow bureaucratic rules. Connelly
Carol
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, fiction
2 stars – It was neither good not bad. As my younger friends say meh!

The most exciting thing that happened in this Harry Bosch novel was learning a bit about the radioactive material cesium and what could happen if it were used in a terrorist plot. All seemed too familiar, like the same old. A short story that seemed rushed. What saved The Overlook from becoming a DNF was the continued fine performance by Len Cariou in narration.
Jonetta
Harry Bosch now works in the Robbery-Homicide Division in the Homicide Special unit follow the events of Echo Park. He's got a new partner, Ignacio Ferras, and their first case is the murder of a medical physicist. Because the case also involves the theft of some radioactive materials, the FBI and other alphabet agencies want to control the case that Harry first sees as a homicide.

This is Connelly's most nimbly-written story to date and that made a big difference in my enjoyment. I finished lis
carol.
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Connelly
Shelves: meh, male-lead, thriller
I don't often read from the fiction bestseller list and I periodically wonder what I'm missing. When a Connelly (oops, not John Connolly) book came my way, I was looking for a light headache distraction and thought it might do the trick. To absolutely no one's surprise, I discovered I'm not really missing anything that would cater to my own palate. This is the Arby's of the fast food world: seemingly meaty but rather bland (unlike Nihilist Arby's).

Harry is apparently back in action with LAPD wi
Mark
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the better detective story
Michael Connelly does his token terrorism story. And it would not be true to him to make it a political mess and power struggle among the various organisations that want to show the world and their constituency how great they are at the wheel of a real threat. Among them Harry Bosch with a new partner that just wants to solve a the murder that starts of the whole story. And Harry gets mighty annoyed when the murder is considered less important than the threat of some terrorism.

As always Connelly
Brent
Jun 04, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Connelly Fans
Shelves: crimefiction
The Overlook is Connelly's latest Harry Bosch detective novel. The book was written as a 16 part serial novel for the New York Times Magazine and it shows. I'm a big Bosch fan and I always enjoy reading about him but I am a little disappointed in this book. As one might expect with a serial novel, many chapters are disjointed and Connelly does not focus on character development. Rachel Walling is again back in Bosch's life and while Connelly mentions the relationship, he doesn't do much to devel ...more
Obsidian
Eh. This was not my favorite Bosch. After a couple of home-runs with this series, this was definitely a disappointment. About half the length of his usual books, Connelly uses this to just show readers excerpts from his other books. I hit the finish line with this book at 74 percent I think. The remaining was just excerpts.

This felt and reads more like a short story. We have so many plot holes I don't even know which to begin with in "The Overlook." It's been a year since the events in "Echo Par
Book Addict Shaun
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Overlook is a much shorter Harry Bosch novel than the others I have read, in fact it felt a bit like a novella and it missed some of the characterisation we are used to from Michael Connelly. That said, it was all story and happened in real time so it had a bit of a different feel to the stories that take place across a week or so.

Harry Bosch is a fantastic character and for those who are yet to meet him, this wouldn’t be a terrible place to start. In The Overlook we see him battling for co
Rob
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-thrillers
Number 13 in the Bosch series.
This book was short but sweet.
Harry back with the LAPD and a new partner.
Harry and his partner get called to a homicide on the Overlook at Mulholland Drive. Turns out that this is not just a homicide but could also be terrorist related. Because of the terrorist threat the FBI and OHS, OHS stands for Office of Homeland Security. The FBI and OHS take the case and leave Harry and his partner out in the cold. No way is Harry going to let this happen. Harry finds a witn
Marty Fried
Continuing with my visit back into the Harry Bosch Universe, this was next in line. In this one, Harry is in a new division, an elite homicide division, paired up with a young detective that might benefit from his experience. I think he does, but perhaps a bit more than he expected. He even wanted to cancel out and get a new partner at one point.

This story was all over the place, with the federal alphabet agencies getting involved (or a threat of them), anti-terrorism squads, even the mother of
Mike
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bosch is at his irascible best, hunting for murders of a nuclear scientist. Add in Homeland Security, the FBI, including former love interest Rachel, and possibly evil Arab terrorists, and it's a fun ride.
Fred
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Dr. Stanley Kent killed, shot 2 times in head, in his “rich” Mulholland Drive home. His wife found naked & “hog-tied”. What & Why?
Dr. Kent’s discovery of a new “radioactive substance” usage is growing in LA county Hospitals & other hospitals for potential money growth.

Harry Bosch, Ignacio Ferras (new partner) & Rachel Walling (FBI - w/some past romance) assigned. They need to find who was the murderer & why his wife (Alicia Kent) was left behind?
(view spoiler)
Alex Cantone
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, read-2018
Ferras put the Blackberry down and turned back to his computer. Like many detectives he preferred to use his own laptop because the computers provided by the department were old and slow and most of them carried more viruses than a Hollywood Boulevard hooker.

The novella length The Overlook finds seasoned Detective Harry Bosch back in the Robbery/Homicide Division of LAPD, mentoring a young partner, Cuban-American Ignacio Ferras. Bosch is called out towards midnight to an execution-style murder
kartik narayanan
Overlook is disappointing.

For one, the plot sucks. It does not scan like a homicide mystery but rather an action-thriller. I mean in the end it is about murder but that noirish, hard boiled feeling is missing.

The second reason is that it feels manufactured. I mean take a standard homicide, wrap it up in a terrorist plot (really?), add an element of tension and voila - you have a story that feels like the movie Peacemaker.

Yes. I hated it. It is the worst in the Bosch series so far. And it is sh
Kevin Dowson
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another outing for Harry Bosch, shorter than most (even shorter than I expected, as the Kindle version ended at about 88%, the rest of it filled with the first half dozen chapters of Two Kinds Of Truth, which I personally find irritating, but oh well).

The Overlook is fairly typical Bosch stuff. Back in homicide, Harry gets called out to an apparent execution style murder, then things get complicated. Harry, as usual, does his best to get in his own way and everyone else's way too, especially the
Robin
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2017
Harry Bosch is called out on his first case since being recruited to the Homicide Special Squad. The body of Dr. Stanley Kent has been found on the Overlook near Mulholland Drive. He was killed execution style. Harry and his new partner Ignacio Ferras are just starting to put the pieces of the murder together when FBI Agent Rachel Walling shows up. She wants information about the murder, but doesn't want to give up anything in return. As Harry fights to keep jurisdiction over the murder, he disc ...more
Checkman
Aug 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry Bosch fans
Three and a half stars.

I like the Harry Bosch books. I don't read them all the time. It's been my experience that if I read novels featuring the same character back to back I become bored. It's like watching a long running series on television. It gets comfortable, but predictable.

About once a year I'll read one or two of the Bosch novels. As I wrote in my review of The Black Echo I was around when the series began in 92 and I like it.

So last Saturday a local library was having it's annual boo
Gary
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 13th book in the Harry Bosch series.
Another great page turner that keeps you gripped to the very end.
This book was slightly different to the usual Michael Connelly recipe but this fast paced action packed novel certainly hits the spot. A little shorter than usual but nevertheless outstanding. Bring on number 14.
Stephen
A quick read but not my favourite Bosch - too short and the closest I’ve come to guessing the outcome of a Bosch book. Read from other reviews on here that it is adapted from a short story and it does feel like that. Onwards to the next one and hopefully a return to form....
Anna
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, audiobooks
One of the more interesting stories as far the plot goes. I selected this book after reading a tweet from the author, that this book is featured in the upcoming season 6 of Bosch show.
Tasha
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this series. Fun and easy to read. This book ties in (2007) with the book he just published in 2019. It’s absolutely great how he thinks ahead for his characters and I do really like that the books are standalone whilst having threads to keep them all tied together.
Melissa
4/5 Stars
This was one of the shorter Harry Bosch novels. Originally written as a serial for The New Yorker, Connelly fleshed it out and turned it in to more of a novella. Since it was originally a serial, it's a little choppier than other Bosch stories. Also, there was only one plot, rather than the normal 2 or 3 that are entwined. But, Harry is still Harry...maybe a little more ornery than normal. But he cuts through the crap and finds the truth in the end. Great pre-read before the Bosch Seaso
Linda J
Jan 16, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rabid Connelly fans only - newbies stay away.
Shelves: michael-connelly
I couldn't understand why this book lacked the depth of previous Harry Bosch novels until I learned it had been serialized in a magazine and then published as a book. The book read like someone held a gun to Connelly's head and demanded triple-time story development and resolution.

I don't know why Connelly even gave Bosch a LAPD partner but I guess LAPD protocol required it. Iggy, the partner in this book, was a new one and essentially ignored - Bosch generally had him running errands, offscreen
Pat
Mar 07, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audiobook
I can't believe Connelly wrote this book. Bosch asks "what is a person of interest." That's just one of a dozen annoying instances where Bosch is clueless as to what's going on. Then his antagonism with the FBI is childish. He, of course, turns out to be right and the FBI wrong. This is just not up to Connelly's usual great writing. I really do suspect it was ghosted.
Scott
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
** Continuing my read and review of Michael Connelly’s Detective Bosch series **

Connelly’s 18th book and 13th outing with Bosch - “The Overlook” - was published in two forms. It was first published as a serialized story in “The New York Times Sunday Magazine”, in sixteen installments published from September, 2006 to January, 2007. Connelly then rewrote and expanded several of the chapters, publishing it as a novel in the same year.

Detective Hieronymus “Harry” Bosch is a Vietnam war veteran and
Noran Miss Pumkin
While bumming around Chicago-saw a church book sale. SWEET!!!!!! Huge bag of goodies for $20-actually 16, but it is a church-so donated the change. I even bought a vintage Russian novel-though I cannot read it-i so adore the dust cover art, and the color plates of the story.
Dagny
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: connelly-michael
Fabulous read! The details and possible ramifications of the case were fascinating. For the first third or so of the book, it wasn't a frantic read for me and I was able to sit back and enjoy Connelly's highly readable style and expert plotting. Then it became frantic.
Jamie
4-4.5 stars.

In this shorter Bosch Novel (#13, #18 in Bosch Universe), it picks up right on the heels of Echo Park (I want to say 5-6 months apart storyline wise). We are exposed to Harry in a new division, the exclusive Homicide Special. It was originally written in serial form for the NYT Magazine, but expanded for the novel form. It was great to read about Rachel Walling so rapidly following Echo Park, and we get to meet Harry's new young partner Ignacio/Iggy Ferras. Kiz Rider makes a brief te
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 5 15 Mar 31, 2017 02:32AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 6 8 Mar 30, 2017 06:20PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 4 7 Mar 30, 2017 06:18PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question I 4 6 Mar 30, 2017 06:15PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question H 4 6 Mar 30, 2017 06:14PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question G 4 7 Mar 30, 2017 06:13PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question E 4 6 Mar 30, 2017 06:08PM

• Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6)
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • Masked Prey (Lucas Davenport #30)
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine #2)
  • The Gods of Guilt (Lincoln Lawyer): by Michael Connelly -- Sidekick
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • Camino Winds
  • The Crossing: by Michael Connelly | Summary & Analysis
  • One Good Deed
  • The Blue Knight
  • Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine, #1)
  • Memory Man by David Baldacci - Reviewed
  • The Guardians
  • Past Tense (Jack Reacher, #23)
  • Long Range (Joe Pickett #20)
  • Blindside (Michael Bennett, #12)
  • The Fallen (Amos Decker, #4)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache

Harry Bosch (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #1)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #3)
  • The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #4)
  • Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5; Harry Bosch Universe, #6)
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #7)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #9)
  • City of Bones (Harry Bosch, #8; Harry Bosch Universe, #10)
  • Lost Light (Harry Bosch, #9; Harry Bosch Universe, #11)
  • The Narrows (Harry Bosch, #10; Harry Bosch Universe, #13)