Start by marking “Ages in Chaos: A reconstruction of ancient history from the Exodus to King Akhnaton (Ages in Chaos series, #1)” as Want to Read:

(Ages in Chaos #1)

Ages in Chaos is a book by the controversial writer Immanuel Velikovsky, first published by Doubleday in 1952, which put forward a major revision of the history of the Ancient Near East. Velikovsky had put forward his ideas briefly in Theses for the Reconstruction of Ancient History in 1945, but Ages in Chaos was his first full-length work on the subject.

A second volume wa
Published December 12th 1991 by Buccaneer Books (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Ages in Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ages in Chaos

Start your review of Ages in Chaos: A reconstruction of ancient history from the Exodus to King Akhnaton (Ages in Chaos series, #1)
Joy
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Historians haven't been able to find an account of the Exodus in Egyptian records. That's because they were looking in the wrong time period. Currently, the majority guess places it in the time of Ramses II, a strong, stable society unlikely to allow the escape of a horde of slaves.

There is an existing description of the Plagues, however, by an Egyptian eyewitness. The Ipuwer Papyrus describes the same plagues as the Bible does. Ipuwer wrote his account at the end of the Middle Kingdom, a time w
Reed
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
For years scholars have said that the Old Testament is myth because they cannot find any corroborating evidence for the calamities of Moses' Egypt in the Egyptian sources. As a mater of fact they can't find contemporary corroboration for very much of the Old Testament. Now comes Velikovsky who says that the traditional chronology of the OT is off by 600 years, with this adjustment everything fits nicely. I loved this book because it adds context to the scriptures from contemporary sources, makin ...more
Stephen Tuck
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
I read Immanuel Velikovsky's Ages in Chaos on and off for a month or two. It's heavy going, and I wasn't encouraged to persevere by Velikovsky's reputation as a fringe theorist among fringe theorists. Eventually I said 'sod it' and decided to flip through the bits on Akhenaten (which genuinely does interest me) and call it a day. It's probably enough to say that this book really isn't worth your time. The basic argument is that somehow (I didn't pick up how) the accepted chronology of ancient Eg ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
I have settle on 4 stars for this book as well as Worlds in Collision based on enjoyment value. This book recosiders time lines for ancient history in the near east (Ancient Egypt and Israel). The idea is that accepted time lines are out of step and the events recorded did happen but earlier.

This book like Velikovaky's first work received less than enthusiastic reviews form the acidemic community. Still it's a good and enjoyable read whatever you may think of it.
John
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I would highly recommend this book to anyone with a background in Ancient Near Eastern history who enjoys reading an opposing viewpoint. While few will be convinced by Velikovsky's highly controversial theories, that shouldn't prevent one from finding this book ingenious, thought-provoking, and thus a great deal of fun!
David Sarkies
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ancient Historians
Recommended to David by: Saw it in a shop
Shelves: history
Reconstructing Egyptian and Biblical history
13 April 2014

When I first heard of Immanuel Velikovsky it was suggested that he was a nutter, however a cursory glance across the Goodreads community actually suggest that there is some acceptance of his theories (and I would be one of them, if we restrict ourselves to this book). I wasn't really sure why people referred to him as a nutter until I discovered that another of his books, Worlds in Collision involved a theory that Venus was originally a m
DeeJay
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Velikovsky shows us that 1 + 1 makes 2. Not 1 or 3, as present and past historians will make us believe. Over half a century now, I have read and reread Velikovsky's books. And quite a few other specimens on different subjects. Besides that, there is the site WWW.VARCHIVE.ORG for anyone who might be interested. Velikovsky may be sailing on free winds on details, but his overall view is correct. In my not so humble opinion, free-thinkers like him are the people that this planet needs. On subjects ...more
Dave
Jan 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Historical verification of the ten plagues in Egypt, the Solomon's temple, and other documented evidence that confirms biblical chronoloy, showing for instance that a 600-year period in our standard books of ancient history actually never existed.
Lee Belbin
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Changed the game in geology!
Cathryn Louis
Jun 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonficton
The foundation is sound. Will your mind be opened or will you force it to stay closed?
Stuart Berman
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Fascinating research into alternative timelines for ancient history.
Errol
Aug 10, 2016 added it
How our history is based on big mistakes
Roy
Jul 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Say what you will about the man's theories, they are extremely controversial, he backs them up with more outside references than anything else I've ever seen.
Mahala
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Contemporary thinking often re-evaluates or challenges accepted time frames in human history. Velikovsky is fascinating. Love his writings!
Mina
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Despite the crazy idea of the book, immanuel velikovsky is genius it's the most sagacious book i have ever read ......if you are interested in history , donot hesitate to read it.
Andy Biggs
Makes a compelling case that we need to realign biblical narrative history with Egyptian and other archaeological findings
Kenneth Burr
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
thought provoking
Cooper Renner
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is for me most questionable about Ages In Chaos is not its suggested reconstruction of ancient history—which after all is a structure mostly assembled in the past 200 years from fragmentary and / or later sources—but rather his willingness to accept at face value early biblical accounts (from the Torah) which seem frankly unbelievable in many cases. On the other hand his weaving together of material from the “books of the kings” with the Amarna letters and Deir El-Bahri carvings seem much m ...more
Johnathan Steere
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Amazing work for its time (published in 1952). Worthy of reading for the depth of artifacts that he compiles. His conclusions are rather out-dated, but even so, most other revisionist theorists owe him a debt for being the first to realize the problematic nature of the 19th century archaeological beliefs about Egypt that were prevalent (and still are in many cases) at the time.
Steve Tretiakow
Jun 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
naturalist view of ancient history
Nathan Miller
Awesome and novel ideas about some of the great mysteries in history. Book is a bit dry as Velikovsky goes into quite a bit of detail to make his case on some points.
Susan
Aug 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Revelation: Mature Look
  • Zen (Endless Path)
  • Tom Clancy Code of Honor (Jack Ryan Universe Book 28)
  • Half Moon Bay (Clay Edison, #3)
  • Washington's Spies: The Story of America's First Spy Ring
  • A Private Cathedral (Dave Robicheaux #23)
  • The Dirty South (Charlie Parker #18)
  • Chocolat (Chocolat, #1)
  • Cult of Glory: The Bold and Brutal History of the Texas Rangers
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • Novel on Yellow Paper
  • Countdown to a Moon Launch: Preparing Apollo for Its Historic Journey (Springer Praxis Books)
  • A Passionate Pilgrim: A Biography of Bishop James A. Pike
  • The Glass Room (Vera Stanhope, #5)
  • Glass, Irony and God
  • The Artful Egg (Kramer and Zondi Mystery #7)
  • Robinson Jeffers: Poet of California
  • The Gnostic Discoveries: The Impact of the Nag Hammadi Library
Immanuel Velikovsky was a Russian-born American independent scholar, best known as the author of a number of controversial books reinterpreting the events of ancient history, in particular the US bestseller Worlds in Collision, published in 1950. Earlier, he played a role in the founding of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in Israel, and was a respected psychiatrist and psychoanalyst.

His books u

Ages in Chaos (3 books)
  • Peoples of the Sea : A Reconstruction of Ancient History-A Continuation of the Ages in Chaos Series (Ages in Chaos series, #2)
  • Ramses II and His Time (Ages of Chaos series, #3)

News & Interviews