Start by marking “Table Manners” as Want to Read:
Table Manners

Table Manners

The star of Mia King's "entertaining"(Seattle Times) debut novel Good Things is back-and she's got a full plate.

Deidre McIntosh is everyone's favorite go-to person. She seems so successful, so capable, so just plain perfect, with a popular cooking show, her own line of cakes and cookies, and an ideal relationship with Kevin Johnson-considered one of the most desirable men
Published August 4th 2009 by Berkley (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Table Manners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Table Manners

Shelves: 2009
Staci
Aug 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
I loved her first book, Good Things, which introduced me to Deidre McIntosh and she quickly became a character that I really felt an affinity to. I was happy to hear that King decided to write a sequel to tie up the loose ends from her first book. I again, loved Deidre, but there were times when I felt the writing wasn't as tight as it should've been and that this was written as an after-thought. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun book to read. But, the plot was cliche at times and I know King can d ...more
Keri Daskam
Sep 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: year-7
This book was pretty much meaningless. But it was fun and nice.
Emily
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Predictable yet satisfying. A good read while traveling.
Carrie Turner
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Predictable.
Gaby
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Lydia Laceby
Feb 21, 2010 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this single girl tale. It was well written, full of mouth watering recipes (there’s even a recipe section in the back) and I enjoyed the character and her adventure, however this book just didn’t grab me and I thought this it was relatively average.

We follow Deidre McIntosh as she’s working on developing her own cookie line while navigating her boyfriend’s wealthy family where she doesn’t quite fit in, especially around his sister who becomes determined to see the back of her.

This is c
Mary
Jun 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
From the moment I finished reading Good Things by Mia King I've been keeping an eye out for the sequel. I finally got my hands on a copy of Table Manners and am pleased to tell you that Ms. King gives readers a sequel that is sweet, fun and satisfying.

Deidre's life, although good, has become hectic. She's helping her friends William and Alain plan their commitment ceremony; launching a new pastry line; and then travels to help another friend in dire need of her assistance in Jacob's Point (a sma
Jenny
Apr 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jenny by: Kate
Shelves: book-club
This was a good, mindless read. Somewhere in the first few pages, I thought to see if this was a sequel - which it is - so then I felt like I was coming into the story halfway through. (Which I hate - I'm always that person to start a series from book #1 and go through them chronologically.)

At points this was ridiculous. When an author jumps between characters irregularly or too frequently, it seems amatuer, like the author doesn't have enough character development or plot to drive one character
Becky R.
Aug 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really have grown to love Mia King's clear writing style and voice. This style really helped me learn to love her main character, Deidre even more in book two. The one part I found surprising and satisfying was Deidre's reactions to really difficult situations or strife. In my head I could see the main character lashing out, showing what a strong woman can do, but Deidre didn't need to do that. Somehow this character continued to make choices that felt low impact, not as emotionally ridden as ...more
Connie
May 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-drinks, romance
Deidre McIntosh was developing a new line of cookies after starring in a successful cooking show on TV. She was also seeing Kevin Johnson, a successful wealthy bachelor. Life seemed good until she had to deal with Kevin's sister who does not want her to be a part of Kevin's life. Then, Kevin's ex-fiancee comes back to town. On top of that, her cookie line is not getting rave reviews from the test audience.

I felt that some of the characters seemed like caricatures, especially Kevin's sister who r
Jenn O'Brien
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this sequel as much as I did the original. The characters are not stagnant, they are growing and changing in a natural progression, they are facing new problems and challenges, which makes it a fun read. My only question is what happened to Claire? Except for one sentence mentioning her, she has all but disappeared from the family.

I’m glad the reader learned more detail and background about characters who were background in the first book. Several new characters were introduced in this
Kathryn
Apr 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
I discovered Mia King about three years ago and I find her such a refreshing author. This is the sequel to Good Things and it was just a fun read. The books have recipes and are light and believable. They take place in Seattle which I love as I lived in that area for close to 30 years. I emailed her after reading Good Things and she replied so warmly and we discussed her coming to eastern Washington on her book tour. She's not made it, but I understand she's got a new book coming out, so maybe t ...more
Kelly Olexa
Apr 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is the sequel to Good Things and was just as charming. I definitely enjoy books that weave in any storyline around food/cooking/entertaining and this is no exception. I'm so glad to have discovered Mia King- I think she is a fantastic writer, good stories that are essentially a "romance" and perhaps a dash of "chick lit" but it feels several steps above that. The story line seems REAL. I love a good chick lit book but sometimes the story can get so outrageous it can be insulting to one ...more
S
Aug 10, 2009 rated it liked it
This is an enjoyable quick chick lit novel. However I feel as though it is a sequel, since it appears that there were references to a previous time without much back story. Might be worth it to find the previous book.

Deidre, the protagonist, just seems to have lots going on in the right direction - she is about a cookie line, she purchased a condo, and she's dating one of the richest men in Seattle. Then things start to go in the wrong direction - focus groups don't like her cookies and then her
Heather
Aug 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Using every girly cliche in the handbook, Mia tells a woefully predictable tale of middle-age second chances. This book filled the time, alright, but its unimaginative cast of stereotypical characters (the gay male friend who gets overly excited about food! The shady ex-girlfriend! The scheming, not-what-she-seems sister-in-law! Burf.) made me throw the book down more than once and ask my husband, "God, why do I READ this crap?"

That being said, I did finish this book, which is better than I can
Betsy
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: finished-2011
This book seemed very forced, even from the very beginning. The character's story lines did not mesh well, creating a disjointed storyline that lead to confusion. I was also startled to find multiple typos that should have been caught during the editing process. I probably wouldn't really recommend reading this book to most friends. I was about 60% of the way through this book, and considered putting it down. I really wish the author had broken this book into two stories, because the character s ...more
Kendra
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kendra by: Kate
Shelves: book-club
I really enjoyed reading this book it was quick, easy, and relatively mindless. I didn't realize that it was a sequel until I re-read a friend's review. I thought the author did a good job of explaining the background story so you don't need to read the first one to understand the current story line.

Books like this always make me want to start cooking, or in this case go to France and stuff my face with puff pastries. The excerpts from the tabloid newspaper reminded me of Gossip Girl and I could
Nikki
Feb 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: friends, fans of chick lit
Having read the first book, Good Things, I was looking forward to this sequel. I was not disappointed. I do agree a bit with other reviewers here that some of what happens is so unbelievable, and would never occur that way in real life. That being said, I still enjoyed it a great deal - after all it's fiction, right? I continue to like the characters, and hope that her next book will include them in it!
Holly
May 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I'll admit it...I wanted a beach read! After having just read two rather intense books (on child molestation and mass shooting) I really just wanted to relax for an afternoon with a book that would simply amuse me, nothing more needed. Well, this was a good book to choose because it's light and frothy. It's not going to win any awards but was there for light reading when I needed it. Chick lit that works; enough said.
Mary
Dec 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
It was like revisiting home reading this book and catching up with Dierdre and the characters from Good Things. I loved reading what was happening to them and how they were all evolving. I see new characters that could lead to another sequel.... I enjoy the character of Dierdre and how she bounces back when she looks like she's hitting bottom.
Ann
May 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Didn't realize this was a follow up to her other book called Good Things. Well, now I know I definitely don't have to read that one. I did like her book Sweet Life (perhaps I was a little biased since I was in Hawaii when I read it and it takes place in Hawaii) so that is why I picked up this one. This just didn't thrill me. Chick lit from a template is what it seems like.
Gretchen
Apr 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I am a mia king fan but this book didn't impress me much. it was all wrapped up a little too neatly. everything fell into place and that is just so unreal. I know that it is entertainment but it was so predictable. I still gave it 3 stars because the characters are very likeable and I had to see what happened to them. the 1st book "good things" was much better.
Lea
Oct 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Great follow up story to Good Things, which I enjoyed. Deidre is a likeable character from the beginning in this chapter of her life (unlike Good Things). The story is a great combination of a business and romance. Good Read.
Heather
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Noteworthy:

“Good manners will open doors that the best education cannot.” – Clarence Thomas

“Sometimes you just need another perspective,” Deidre said. “And it helps to have help. It’s just too hard to go at it alone, sometimes. Doable, but hard.”

“A good dinner menu is a balance of richness and simplicity.” – Peggy Post, Emily Post’s Etiquette
Kim
Feb 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
I thought that King's second book was part of a series with this character, but it is not, so I can now honestly review this book. It is a good follow-up to "Good Things" and it is hopefully the second of more with this character. It is a nice light beach read or for a nice afternoon of relaxing.
Amy
Mar 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
Typical, predictable chick lit. I read it in about 2 days - it was enjoyable, but not nearly as good as my favorites in this genre (Confessions of a Shopaholic, Slightly Single, anything by Candace Bushnell). I am glad I checked it out of the library rather than buying it as it wasn't memorable enough to want to read again.
Jude Caserta
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Wimpy women tick me off. I have already forgotten the main character's name. I found myself wanting to shake her. It was read (Audible.com) by a good narrator and her occasional French accent made it tolerable. If I was reading it I would likely not have finished it.
Michele
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a sequel to Good Things. However, you can figure out where everyone fits in this book even if you haven't read the first one. Having read the first one, I wasn't bored silly with half the book being a rehash of Good Things. Life is made up of ups and downs...
  • Not Quite A Mom
  • Rescue Me
  • Inappropriate Men (Red Dress Ink)
  • Love or Something Like It
  • Priceless (Kick Keswick, #2)
  • A Moment Like Forever
  • The Icing on the Cupcake
  • Love, Suburban Style
  • Sweet Love
  • If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home Now
  • How Sweet It is
  • My Favorite Mistake
  • Over the Moon at the Big Lizard Diner (Texas Hill Country #3)
  • A Match Made on Madison
  • Venus Envy
  • Family Affair
  • Breaking the Bank
  • Waxed
Mia King is a national bestselling author of women’s fiction. She is the author of three novels, GOOD THINGS (Berkley Books, 2007), SWEET LIFE (Berkley Books, 2008), and TABLE MANNERS (Berkley Books, 2009). Her fourth novel, FRIENDSHIP BREAD, will be published in 2011 by Ballantine Books under the name, Darien Gee. You can find her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/authormiaking or on her website at ...more