Start by marking “Intervention (Intervention, #1)” as Want to Read:
Intervention (Intervention, #1)

Intervention (Intervention #1)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  4,765 Ratings  ·  276 Reviews
Her last hope is the beginning of a new nightmare. Barbara Covington has one more chance to save her daughter from a devastating addiction, by staging an intervention. But when eighteen-year-old Emily disappears on the way to drug treatment—and her interventionist is found dead at the airport—Barbara enters her darkest nightmare of all. Barbara and her son set out to find ...more
Audio CD, 324 pages
Published September 21st 2009 by Zondervan (first published September 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Intervention, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Barbara
Terri Blackstock is one of my favorite authors, and she never disappoints me no matter what the subject matter of her book happens to be. This is a stand alone novel about a drug intervention and a murder. Ms. Blackstock is one of the few mystery writers who can prevent me from figuring out who committed a crime until she, as the author, chooses to tell me. I found the characters very believable; they were flawed and made mistakes in the midst of a crisis situation just as most of us probably w ...more
Lawrence
Very enlightening

This book was very enlightening to the hurt and pain of being addictive to drugs in the family. I really enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it to all Terri Blackstock fans.
Michael
One of my biggest criticisms of contemporary Christian fiction is that while the stories and situations may be compelling and interesting, the characters and their reactions to the situations or chain of events often are not. Too often, you can predict the story arc for each character based on his or her introduction in the novel. You can guess who will be "saved" and who won't be early in the story, thus ruining some of the enjoyment of the story and diminishing the authenticity of the novel. ( ...more
Julie Graves
Dec 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, 2012-reads
Barbara Covington is desperate to save her daughter from drug addiction. Emily has been in rehab before and has gone right back to the drugs that she craves. Barbara finally stages an intervention. Trish from Road Back Recovery Center arrives to escort Emily to rehab.

When Trish and Emily land in Atlanta Barbara's nightmare begins. Trish is found dead in the parking garage and Emily is missing. Barbara and her son Lance arrive in Atlanta where the police believe that Emily is the one who murdered
Rissa
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
She was an addict, going to get help. But her Chauffeur gets killed and everyone thinks she is the killer.

With Emily missing her mother and brother come to try and find her to help her. They know she cant be a killer. But everyone only wants a story and an addict gone killer sounded nice to them. So they were on their own to find Emily, to save her. If she hadnt killed then she was with the killer if not she cpuld be dead somewhere too.
Krusher Basta
I can’t remember where I heard about this book and what made me decide to try it, but somehow I missed that this was Christian Fiction. I am a Christian; a practicing Catholic. My family goes to church every Sunday, our children go to Catholic schools, and we enjoy being a part of our church community. But when I choose a book to read, particularly fiction, I am not looking religious message. To be honest, Terri Blackstock wasn’t too overbearing in this regard, I just wasn’t expecting it. The fi ...more
Kristy Trauzzi
Mar 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: I would say it's worth a shot if you want
K - they need to start putting disclaimers on religious books. I will still read you if you aren't totally religious - but at least I have full warning that you are coming at me with scripture. For instance - um - Jodi Piccoult? I think she has religious tones in her books - but I enjoy them - and I'm ok with that. One of my favorite books was about religion and orphans and blah blah blah blah. It's been a while since I read it. But - again - DISCLAIMER!

For the book itself - interesting enough.
Mark
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like all Terri Blackstock books, I made the mistake of trying to read a few pages before bed once I was within 50 pages of the end and wound up staying up until I finished at about 3 am. This was one of the best I've read from her. I really empathized with the characters and cared about their relationships and dilemmas. As usual, Blackstock's faith comes through in the story, but not in a preachy or corny way. She is very good at developing believable Christian and non-Christian characters and d ...more
Joi
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book but I had subtle problems with it. I liked the character of Lance, he provided comic relief. I did not like the fact that every time the mother described her daughter to someone she would always call her pretty. I got tired of that description...I felt as if it was very shallow. Every mother would describe their daughter as pretty. I enjoyed the perspective of Emily, and hearing her tell what'd happened....but I didn't really like the killer/kidnapper's POV. I feel like that ...more
Valerie
Aug 20, 2011 rated it did not like it
I hated this book. Well, I hatd the character of the mother. While she was portrayed as a mother bear type, willing to do whatever it took to protect her child, I saw her as shrill, pushy, and manipulative and just getting in the way. I tried to keep reading, kept hoping her character would dial it down a little but it didn't happen and I finally couldn't stand it anymore and quit reading.

I did, however, end up reading the 2nd book in this series, "Vicious Cycle" which I liked a lot, which was s
C.J. Darlington
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Terri Blackstock is always a great choice if you're looking for a suspense story from a Christian worldview. She often deals with modern, real-life issues, and in Intervention that issue is drug abuse. I read this book a few years ago, but I remember it being realistic and engaging.
Paula  Phillips
Apr 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Author: Terri Blackstock

Rating: 8/10

Intervention, the newest stand-alone novel by Christian author Terri Blackstock. Her last hope is the beginning of a new nightmare, Intervention is about a Christian mum who has had her fair share of tragedy the last few years and all that seems to be holding her together is the love of her son Lance and the belief that no matter what obstacles she comes across God is always looking out for her. Her daughter, shortly after the death of the father decided to ta
Kav
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely riveting. This author sure knows how to spin a suspenseful tale! I was completely captivated on page one. The subject matter is gritty and there are so many emotional punches -- at times I couldn't catch my breath. Page turning does not begin to describe how compelling a read Intervention is.

Barbara is a relatable heroine. She's been through so much -- especially where her daughter is concerned. And yet she clings to the Lord -- looks to Him for comfort and direction. When her daugh
Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-stars
Emily, who lost her father, pulls herself away from her mom and brother to live the life of an addict. Her mom tries every way to get her cleaned up, but fails and as a last resort commits her to a rehab center out of state. But on the way there, her counselor is murdered and she is kidnapped. The police think she killed the counselor but her mom is set on finding the truth and does not believe her daughter is guilty. She puts her life on hold and with her son decides to take matters into her ow ...more
Aerykah
Wow, this book went fast!!

Honestly, I wasn't too sure about it to start with... but I was looking through my library's audiobook collection because I was really wanting one to listen to and this is one of the few that were currently available that I thought I might enjoy.

It started off kinda slow and uninteresting. My attention lagged, and if I had been reading the book instead of listening to it, I might have given up, but I kept listening... and was rather quickly drawn deep into the story!

Thi
Hannah
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
This book was amazing! Ok? It is one of the best suspense novels I've read in a long time! Terri Blackstock is probably my favorite Christian author. Her books always hold me in suspense, especially near the end. Last night, I just couldn't stop flipping the pages, and I actually had to make myself put it away so I could eat dinner!

The story of 'Intervention' was so good! I had really no clue what it was about, besides that it involved a drug addict, and when I kept reading, things just kept sur
Maddy B.
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much, I was sad when I thought it was a stand alone. But I looked into it and found out two other books follow it!!! You will never know how excited I was about that!!! :)
I don't know if there was any part in the book that I didn't like or I thought was boring! I think I loved everything about it! And the characters were fabulous!!
It had a pretty good representation of the gospel compared to most books I've read.

There are a few bloody scenes in the book, but it's nothing too
Julie
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terri blackstock is responsible for stealing too many hours of sleep from me

Terri blackstock is responsible for stealing too many hours of sleep from me

Terri blackstock is responsible for stealing too many hours of sleep from me. this is another one of her books that forced me to stay up late and finish it instead of going to bed like I should. it's been a while since I read anything of hers and I find it interesting that God would put her story about motherhood in my path knowing it would draw
Susan
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very well written by someone who obviously understands the world in which the story takes place.

The affect drugs have on a family and how they might combat the addiction is shown in heartbreaking detail. I have known families who have sent their children to an intervention rehabilitation center and feel for the pain and struggle they face in doing so.

The murder mystery adds a good dose of thrilling suspense.
Arionne R
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: action-adventure
This book was so interesting because it showed the struggle of an addict and her family. When I was reading this book it always kept me wondering. I also like this book because Barbara has so much faith in her daughter when everyone thinks she is a killer. I loved the twist on the ending because its so not what I expected. I also think that Barbra was so brave and I think that if she didnt search hard for Emily that she probably would have died.
Pam
Mar 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
I haven't read many Christian books lately.............Not for a good while really. But I know that almost every time I have picked up a book by Terri Blackstock it will be decent. This is a book about intervention afforded to addicts. If someone you know needs to go to rehab it brings up some good points about searching for the right facility. Worth the read.
Reepacheep
Oct 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even if a parent could be "perfect", there is no guarantee the children will be perfect. Good parents can raise children who make bad choices, and children of bad parents can make good choices. This book illustrates beautifully the individual's responsibility, whether to set themselves on a path of destruction or success--and how those decisions impact the lives of those around them.
Samantha
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable suspense novel. I thought it was very realistic. The relationship focus is mainly mother-daughter; a nice break from all the romance. Also, the main thing I got from this book is that there is freedom in Christ. He can break the chains of bondage and set us free! (John 8:36)
This is the first Terri Blackstock book I've ever read, and I definitely hope to read more.
Nanette
I whipped through it because it was hard to put down. It was very eye-opening in terms of what the families of addicts face. I know the author was trying to get across how distressed the mom was, but this characater really started to get on my nerves.
Leah
Feb 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
This was a library book I grabbed in a hurry, thinking it was a mystery/thriller. It somewhat was, but it was also a religious fiction book, which I wasn't expecting. I'm not really a fan of that genre, but even disregarding that, the book didn't stand alone as a great story.
Sally Bradley
Oct 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
I've read most of Terri Blackstock's books, and Intervention is one of her best new releases. A fast-paced blend of mystery and suspense, Intervention reads like a great TV crime drama. From start to finish, the story is believable and entertaining.
Su
Nov 16, 2009 rated it did not like it
Predictable and suspenseless. Wooden characters and an uninteresting story line.
Alaina
Loved it. Not what I expected. I love how Terri Blackstock always show the love and forgiveness of Christ and how we need to rely on him.
Marsha
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Marsha by: Today's Christian Woman
Excellent suspense novel - not as much Jesus as I thought would be in it - but still an outstanding book without all the filthy language and smut that comes in alot of today's novels
Saphira Bm
Jun 26, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: staat-op-ereader
Ik ga nu vandaag 27 juli ermee beginnen
  • Deceit
  • The Lord Is My Shepherd (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #1)
  • Deeper Water (Tides of Truth, #1)
  • When the Devil Whistles
  • Perfect (Claire McCall #4)
  • Naomi and Her Daughters
  • The Real Enemy (Sophie Trace Trilogy #1)
  • Breach of Trust (Call of Duty, #1)
  • False Witness
  • Dead Reckoning
  • Seasons Under Heaven (Seasons #1)
  • The Malacca Conspiracy
Terri Blackstock is a New York Times best-seller, with over six million copies sold worldwide. She is the winner of two Carol Awards, a Christian Retailers Choice Award, and a Romantic Times Book Reviews Career Achievement Award, among others. She has had over twenty-five years of success as a novelist.

Terri spent the first twelve years of her life traveling in a U.S. Air Force family. She lived
More about Terri Blackstock

Intervention (3 books)
  • Vicious Cycle (Intervention, #2)
  • Downfall (Intervention, #3)

Fiction Deals

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“In her glamorous quest for the darkest light and the lowest high, she now found herself wallowing on the bottom of a filthy garbage bin.” 25 likes