Start by marking “The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2)

The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials #2)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  276,618 Ratings  ·  6,390 Reviews
Will is twelve years old and he's just killed a man. Now he's on the run, determined to discover the truth about the father he has never known.

Then Will steps through a window into another world - the dangerous world of Cittàgazze, where soul-eating Spectres haunt the streets, and a strange, savage girl called Lyra Silvertongue is searching for Dust. Their meeting is no ac
Hardcover, Tenth Anniversary 1995-2005, 332 pages
Published 2005 by Scholastic (first published July 22nd 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Subtle Knife, please sign up.

Kaitlin Moore-Morley So Atheism is the denial of God... I would say the book is more pantheistic or agnostic depending on how you choose to view the work. The witches have…moreSo Atheism is the denial of God... I would say the book is more pantheistic or agnostic depending on how you choose to view the work. The witches have their own goddess, there is a heaven, and angels, and hierarchy. But the book never addresses how the earth was formed other than dust formed the angels.

However there are nuggets of beauty for the person who chooses to believe in God, particularly in the third book when grace is addressed.

I'm a Christian pastor.... I love the church and all it is supposed to be and Pullman's world is often hostile to the church that is. I'm good with that. However, often times it's easy to be critical or reduce to a word [like that book is] "atheist" when your beliefs are threatened or the dark spots are pointed out by an outsider. It makes it easier to get people to ignore the work.... because God forbid there is a piece of fantasy fiction that isn't theologically accurate. (less)

Bookdragon Sean
When I read this the first time I completely overlooked a main component of the book. I approached it as if was the second book in the series, a massive mistake. I wrote a review criticising the fact that the novel felt awkward; it had no beginning or end: it just felt like the typical content you’d find in the middle of the story. The ironic point of this is that most critics take the trilogy as one whole book, rather than three separate works. And this really is the best way to approach the st ...more
Dan
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The second entry in a trilogy is often, in my opinion, the best. The author doesn't have to introduce the universe or the characters, as they did in the first installment, but they don't need to worry about wrapping up all the plot points either. Instead, the focus can be on 'the good stuff': elaborating on the story, teasing us more, giving action, chopping off Luke's hand and so on. Instead of the good stuff, in The Subtle Knife I feel as though we've had a bait and switch pulled on us.

In The
Cait • A Page with a View
I love the world(s), but this is where the series starts getting too weird for me. I'm just not huge on the anti-religion theme... like at times it takes away from the actual story with its intensity. I absolutely love when books can mess around with theoretical physics or philosophy, so there were still some aspects I had fun with. But the religion stuff stuck out really awkwardly for me and was hard to get past.

I'm still a big fan of the witches, Lyra, Will, and the worldbuilding in general,
Antonio
¡Ese FINAL!!!

te deja con la NECESIDAD de saber que sigue.

Estos no son libros infantiles, no se que se le metió al editor o a quien se lo ocurrió la brillante idea de clasificarlos de esa forma, pero a mi parecer que tengamos por protagonistas a niños no hace que el libro ipso facto sea infantil. Esta vez el centro de la historia, al parecer, es la búsqueda del padre de Will, pero una vez mas Pullman nos muestra que su trama es mas complicada de lo que aparenta ser.

Los puentes entre los mundos
Lucy
Dec 04, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

I am not a fan of forwarded emails. They frustrate me, because they usually come from the same group of people, people I like a great deal but who never send me a normal "hey, how's it going?" message. Just "Support our Troops" or "Tell every woman you know she's special" or "Microsoft is running a test and if you send this you could get a check for $1,000!" When I see the letters FWD in the subject line, I usually simply delete it.

I lost track of the number of emails I received telling me about
David Schaafsma
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I share this review again in the fall of 2017 as a fourth volume (though Pullman later wrote two companion pieces to the trilogy, entitled Lyra's Oxford, and Once Upon a Time in the North), The Book of Dust, has been released, to encourage all ages to read. As with most great "children's" books, there are a range of levels on which Pullman is working. He's taking on the Roman Catholic view of reality, C.S. Lewis (in The Chronicles of Narnia), and is in conversation with John Milton, whose Paradi ...more
Candace Wynell McHann
Shayantani Das
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two very strange things happened last week. I gave I Am Half Sick Of Shadows: A Flavia De Luce Novel two stars and am now giving this book five star. It is strange because the former book’s protagonist, my dear Flavia De Luce is my favorite obstinate pre teen. On the contrary, Lyra, another stubborn, precocious, pre-teen absolutely annoyed me in the previous book. Right now though, I can not for the life of me imagine why I did not like the first novel and Lyra. Well, at least I adore her right ...more
Lina
For a moment, just imagine that after reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone you were so enthralled by the protagonist (even if you weren't bare with me), his friends and the entire world that has been established. It has moral undertones, but at it's heart it is a fun fantasy novel. Then you pick up Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and suddenly Harry has been downgraded as a protagonist in favor of Dan, our brand new second main character. He's super awesome and whatnot and sort o ...more
Elizabeth
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as fantastic all these years later. Still shocking, still clever, still more grown up than a lot of 'adult' books out there. This book doesn't shy away, doesn't talk down, and definitely doesn't disappoint.
Amy | shoutame
The second in the trilogy and possibly my favourite out of the three.
Fabian
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weird like the Wizard of Oz, magical like Harry Potter, and interesting, unlike "Chronicles of Narnia." The symbolism is so agog, so strange... Obviously, it makes for a great young adult novel!!
Ro
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this case, the high rating is not for the actual quality of the book (that is very good btw), but for all that it meant to me while I was growing up.
Xime García
Reseña de "Luces del Norte" (La Materia Oscura 1)
Reseña de "El Catalejo Lacado" (La Materia Oscura 3)

¿Habéis intervenido en la evolución humana?
SÍ.

¿Por qué?
VENGANZA.

Este segundo libro me gustó muchísimo más que el primero. Se dieron muchos giros, conocimos nuevos personajes y arribamos a nuevos mundos. Todo lo planteado en Luces del Norte gana mayor terreno (diría que colosal) y todo lo que pensábamos que podía ser de una forma, termina siendo de otra.

Sin embargo, puedo ver por qué hay alguno
Annalisa
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Annalisa by: Ryan
What I did like about this book is that it starts with Lyra, a girl we have become acquainted with from another world, meeting Will, a boy from our world. Bringing the fantasy into our own reality was surreal and interesting. But only for a minute and then it became a bore. The story was slow and at some points stopped altogether to allow Pullman his theological preachings of anti-church and anti-god. If the story had been metaphorical I would have enjoyed it more, but it became less fiction and ...more
Jan-Maat
It has been a while since a book last left me with the desire to have my head trepanned and to become a shaman. And I suppose these days it is difficult to get on the training course and who knows if the pension scheme will be all that it was cracked out to be?

Reading I thought this business of the human mind and the flow of consciousness through a multiplicity of universes reminded me of something else. As always it takes some days for this kind of thought to percolate down to the answer - I re
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
So, I'm re-reading this trilogy for the first time in like twelve years! I was curious to see what my stance on it would be after all this time. I remember loving the first book as a kid and then being a little iffy about books two and three ... and well, I think I liked this second installment a bit more as an adult, but I do still feel it's not quite as strong as the first book.

There are still a lot of things I love about The Subtle Knife:

• The world-building continues to be very entrancing, e
Trish
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This second volume of His Dark Materials introduced a couple of new characters such as young Will, who becomes Lyra's friend. Lyra has crossed the bridge between the worlds at the end of the last book and landed in a city of another where there are no adults, apparently because of specters. Shortly later she meets Will, who has had it hard in his very own way what with his sick mother and missing father. For some reason, the alethiometer tells Lyra to help him find his father.
Through Will, Lyra
notgettingenough
May 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Later...

It is so surprising to me that the thing I found vastly irritating right at page one of the first of this series - the daemon - so quickly captivated me. You have this daemon in you, all of us, just as the story goes. And as a child it is anything, it has the fantastical vision that children have, there is nothing to stop it. But then we mostly grow up and we mostly lose the idea that we can do anything, we lose imagination, we lose the unconscious bravery of our childhood, we lose the i
C.
Sep 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first read this book I was young enough to still pronounce the 'b' in 'subtle', and now I can't look at this book without doing it again. I still think it sounds better that way - it gives the word a sort of dull power that I think depicts the mysterious magic of the knife much better than the silly, flippant 'suttle'. Saying 'sub-tle' opens up previously-unimagined worlds which extend indefinitely into the distance.

And this is what is good about this series. I've come up with a list of
Brad
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
The strangest thing about Phillip Pullman's The Subtle Knife is that it doesn't feel like the second book in a series, making me wonder whether Pullman first wrote this in conjunction with The Amber Spyglass, then wrote The Golden Compass as a prequel, which then became the first book in the series once they were published.

Not that it matters.

What matters is that The Subtle Knife is too fast, too plot driven, and too much "a set-up" book to be an effective second book in the trilogy. Second bo
Emma
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrns
I am rereading the trilogy before commencing the Book of Dust. Just as wonderful on a reread. I barely remembered it but a scene between Lee Scoresby and his daemon made me cry as it did the first time.
Wonderful series. Recommended, but start with Northern Lights.
Maciek
The Subtle Knife which is the second volume in His Dark Materials trilogy fails to live up to the first installment.

In Nothern Lights (or The Golden Compass, as it was titled in the US) readers were treated to a rich alternative universe. It was clear that the Philip Pullman had an active imagination and was good at constructing his worlds just as any good fantasy author.

That's one of the reasons why I didn't enjoy this volume as much as the first one. As it was stated that the books will take p
Vichy
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ο 12χρονος Γουίλ Πάρι αφού έχει με ασφάλεια παρκάρει τη σαλεμένη μάνα του στην κυρία Κούπερ, την προ καιρού δασκάλα του του πιάνου, κυνηγημένος από δυο άντρες, ξεφεύγει μεταπηδώντας σε ένα άλλο κόσμο μέσα από ένα παράθυρο που τυχαία ανακάλυψε μια γάτα. Μαζί του κρατά τα γράμματα του χαμένου του πατέρα Τζον, εξερευνητή. Οι διώκτες του φαίνεται να τον αναζητούν για αυτές ακριβώς τις επιστολές. Σε αυτόν τον κόσμο, που η πόλη στην οποία προσγειώνεται ονομάζεται Τσιτάγκαζε είναι παράξενη καθώς δεν υπ ...more
Rob
Executive Summary: I liked this better than the first one, but I still don't seem to love this series like so many others.

Audiobook: The audio book was fantastic again. Not only the story narration but all of the voice readers make this a great choice in audio.

Full Review
So this book adds a second protagonist named Will whose seemingly from our world. I find him more likable than most of the other characters, including Lyra, but that's not saying very much. I just don't like most of the charac
Rebecca McNutt
I wasn't really a big fan of the first book in this series, especially since a major character was abruptly killed off for no good reason. However, The Subtle Knife is a lot less dark and more intense, adventurous and memorable in my opinion. New characters are introduced, new themes, and Lyra herself is older and knows what she's doing a lot better.
Jo
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, hometown-ya
I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that, after those last 4 chapters or so, I will never be happy again.*

*OK, may be a slight exaggeration. Damn Pullman, you're worse than Ness.
Katie Scarlett O Hara
Iako imam problem sa tim kako Lajra u ovoj knjizi iskače iz svog obrasca ponašanja kako bi to odgovaralo radnji i dalje su mi sjajne ove knjige, možda čak i bolje nego prvi put kada sam ih preletela.
Stephen
5.0 stars. Fantastic sequel to The Golden Compass. The plot is expanded expontentially from the story line of the first book and becomes epic. Fantastic read. Highly recommended!!
John
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As a second reading of this book, I was disappointed. I remember liking it much more when I first read it about 6 years ago. Pullman’s imagination is again shown off in the alternate worlds he creates, but the story did not grab me like The Golden Compass did.

Lyra is so wonderfully written in The Golden Compass, but here she seems to be more ordinary and boring. I realize the author is trying to show her change and grow up, but all that happens is she gets dull.

I miss also the detailed descrip
  • Abhorsen (Abhorsen, #3)
  • Witch Week (Chrestomanci, #3)
  • Taran Wanderer (The Chronicles of Prydain #4)
  • Predator's Gold (The Hungry City Chronicles, #2)
  • Ptolemy's Gate (Bartimaeus, #3)
  • Dronningens Tåre (Historien om Mira, #2)
  • Squire (Protector of the Small, #3)
  • The Final Reckoning (The Deptford Mice, #3)
  • Firesong (Wind On Fire, #3)
  • The Earthsea Quartet (Earthsea Cycle, #1-4)
  • The Serpent Gift (The Shamer Chronicles, #3)
  • The Stone Light (Dark Reflections, #2)
In 1946, acclaimed author Philip Pullman was born in Norwich, England, into a Protestant family. Although his beloved grandfather was an Anglican priest, Pullman became an atheist in his teenage years. He graduated from Exeter College in Oxford with a degree in English, and spent 23 years as a teacher while working on publishing 13 books and numerous short stories. Pullman has received many awards ...more
More about Philip Pullman...

His Dark Materials (3 books)
  • The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1)
  • The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3)
“Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit.” 227 likes
“For a human being, nothing comes naturally,' said Grumman. 'We have to learn everything we do.” 79 likes