Start by marking “Espresso Shot (Coffeehouse Mystery, #7)” as Want to Read:
Espresso Shot (Coffeehouse Mystery, #7)

Espresso Shot

(Coffeehouse Mystery #7)

Coffeehouse manager Clare Cosi has been hired to create a gourmet coffee and dessert bar for her ex-husband's wedding. But her main problem is bridezilla Breanne Summour. When people close to Breanne begin to suffer fatal accidents, it's Clare who may get burned.
Published October 6th 2009 by Berkley (first published September 30th 2008)

Junky by William S. BurroughsThe Master and Margarita by Mikhail BulgakovCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlThe Rum Diary by Hunter S. ThompsonDandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
Under the Influence
329 books — 181 voters
The Uninvited Corpse by Debra SennefelderChocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeSugar Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeFudge Cupcake Murder by Joanne FlukeStrawberry Shortcake Murder by Joanne Fluke
Cozy Cooking
230 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Espresso Shot (Coffeehouse Mystery, #7)
Nicole
May 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series falls into my "mysteries I read and enjoy and don't know why" genre. I love coffee and can practically smell it the whole way through the books, yet sometimes Clare's constant bean-lectures and chastising about technique give me a serious case of the eye-rolls. Also, when it comes to her ex-husband she's kind of a shrew with her constant reminders of his infidelity and drug addiction. Clare is also a mega helicopter mom and I would have run away to France too if my mom poked into my ...more
Suzanne
Cleo Coyle's Coffee House Mysteries are among my all-time favorites in the cozy genre! I've been reading about Clare Cosi since the very first mystery came out in the early 2000's and I have never once been disappointed. Cleo's books are fast- paced and interesting, her character development is top notch and I feel as if over the years, I have really gotten to know the crew that hangs around the Village Blend...they are like old friends!

In this installment of the series, Clare's ex-husband, Matt
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

When Clare’s ex-husband Matteo Allergro is set to be married to a prissy woman named Breanne Summour, Clare is very pleased for him despite the fact that she is sure that Breanne hates her. When it is clear that someone out there intends to kill Breanne before her wedding, Clare is forced into action, and this particular book takes her into some dangerous situations.

Matt is obviously has a big presence in this book and we actually get more of the story behind who they were before the books
Christine
I like this series a lot, but had some problems with this entry. For one thing, there was hardly any coffeehouse in it at all! And for another, the mystery was a little too complicated. It just got confusing at the end with the multi-twists. I think Breanne was also made too unlikeable in the first few books to really make us sympathize with her in any way, or to feel happy about the happy ending in this one. Still, I'm glad that Clare's with Mike and that all seems to be working out.
Kim
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading this series. I admit I have skipped a few books, but this one is the best so far. The characters are well developed and realistic. The mystery has several twists and turns to keep you guessing. Looking forward to the next.
Jammin Jenny
I really enjoyed this installment in the Coffehouse Mystery series. Clare Cosi is an amazing woman. She's a great barrista, a great mother, and a great friend to her ex-husband and his fiance Breanne. It was so nice to see Matteo in love and with someone that loves him. This lets Clare really be more clearly with Mike Quinn, the police officer.
Melissa Cochrill
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed getting to know more characters in this series. I was also happy with ending! I love Claire and Mike together.
Melinda
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was by far the best one of the series so far.
Delta
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z2017
This was an interesting take on the cozy mystery heroine - I don't think I've ever read one with a coffee shop owner as the MC. Granted, the coffee lessons scattered through the book could have been taken down a notch, but it was an interesting concept. Lots of twists and red herrings.
Book Concierge
Digital audiobook read by Rebecca Gibel

Coffeehouse Mystery series book # 7 finds Clare Cosi in the uncomfortable position of catering a wedding reception for (view spoiler). The bride-to-be is a Trend magazine’s editor – wealthy, beautiful, sophisticated and a known tastemaker. But when people connected to the event begin to die, Clare’s radar goes into high gear and she starts investigating.

I like this series. It’s populated with a nice cast of r
Leah
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better mysteries in this series, but I was disappointed by the lack of coffee in this book. It covers the lead up to the wedding. There are attacks on the bride and some others. I didn't like the bride or many of the people she knows. I was surprised by the ending. I didn't think it would happen. I also didn't expect the person who did it or why. There were a few other surprises too.
☆☆Hannah☆☆
This was a decent read. Matt who is Clare's ex husband is getting married. Unfortunately she is a real trip. Which is why when someone is trying to kill her before their wedding I'm not surprised. Clare of course tries to figure out who did it. All I can say is that I have no idea why Matt and Breanne got married. They were two messed up people.
Toni  (T.C.) LoTempio
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG, best so far. Each book just keeps getting better and better, and there's always a twist at the end. Really love the character develpment. I had an idea there was more to the Hazel/Breanne connection than met the eye. Breanne and Matt seem suited for one another!
Elizabeth Meadows
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-audio-books
This one was probably one of the best so far in the series. It kept moving at a fast pace. It isn't my favorite mystery series, but it does make me want to have some coffee.
Mysteryfan
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries-cozy
Another entry in the Coffeehouse Mystery series. Breeanne is marrying Clare's ex-husband, but someone has it in for Bree. Who could it be? I like the New York setting.
Nina
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was a really cute mystery. I like how the author intertwined everyone's relationship. The ending was a bit cheesy though. However, I'd love to check out more of her other coffee house mysteries.

P.S. this book may leave you wanting coffee/espresso drinks!
Sara
Jan 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warning! The coffee descriptions in this book are disturbingly heavenly, do yourself a favor and read this in your favorite coffee shop.

Clair and Matt have been divorced for years, but together run a pretty good business, her as the coffee shop manager, him as the coffee buyer. Matt has recently proposed to his girlfriend and has asked Claire to create a gourmet coffee bar for their celebrity-filled wedding reception. It is no secret that Claire dislikes the wealthy socialite snob whom her husb
Diane ~Firefly~
Oct 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
It had been a while since I read the last book in the series and I was taken off guard by Matt being engaged as he has always been such a playboy. On the plus side, that ends the triangle and I hate love triangles in cozy mysteries. As for the plot, Matt thinks someone is trying to hurt his fiancee, so he asks Cleo to watch over her, figure it out.

What I enjoyed:
* The interesting characters and situations Clare encounters. The underground restaurant, the sleazy tabloid reporter, etc.
* Even thou
Rebecca Morales
Matt and Brie are on the verge of getting married. However, before they can say I do, Claire must find who is trying to kill the blushing bride.

I am slowly starting to like these characters again. I enjoyed the mystery in this book, but I was disappointed to see Coyle go back to her old tricks. The book starts off with a murder the victim being mistaken for another person. Coyle does this often in her books, I am not a fan. But the killer's true identity are becoming harder to guess. So while I
Maria
Jun 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed reading this frothy mystery as change of pace. I liked the characters, although the endless discussions about coffee (where the beans come from, how the coffee is made, where to get the best coffee, why we should all drink better coffee, etc., etc., etc.) did eventually get a bit overwhelming. Oh, and the heroine is always running into super hunky men who are hitting on her and trying to tempt her with their bedroom eyes. It's amusing, actually.

So, this was a fun read, and I would put
Dawn Michelle
Dec 01, 2008 rated it really liked it

Really good book! I loved the plot and where the book ended up. I was SO wrong in guessing who "done it"!!

Matt is getting married. And Claire has agreed to go a coffee/dessert bar for the wedding. Trouble is, someone seems to have it in for Matt's bride-to-be and its up to Claire to figure it all out before Breanne ends up dead and the wedding of the year turns into a funeral.

Good read. Cannot wait for the next one!!!
Jill
Oct 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is Coyle's best writtencoffeehouse mystery. The characters are rich with personality, kind of like Jamaica's Blue Mountain coffee...mmmm. This book kept me intrigued and curious to the end with only one too predictable event (it only lasted a couple of pages). Now, I've read all of her coffee books and I have to wait for the next one to come out. In the meantime, I'm going to try some of the recipes!
KayLynn Zollinger
Trigger Warnings: Infidelity

I liked this one. A wedding Claire Cosi style. Perfect. And now that ridiculous love triangle between Claire, Mike, and Matteo is over. I no longer have to throw the book across the room when I'm frustrated because Matt is a womanizer and Claire should never go back to him. I've even given her lectures. Yes, I lectured a fictional character. Don't judge me. Like you've never done that...
Kathy
Feb 27, 2016 rated it liked it
The 7th in the series has Clare's ex husband Matt finally marrying his girl friend, Breanne. That is, he will marry her if she can stay alive. Someone is trying to kill her...running her over doesn't work, poisioning her doesn't work, and shooting her doesn't work. What will he try next? Clare's boy friend Mike, the cop, is pretty much a no show in this book, so she has to solve the mystery by herself. Can she pull if off in time for the wedding?
Sarah Sammis
The actual murder mystery is buried in all these other hostile red herrings. The clues are there for the observant reader. I figured it out, though did try a couple different ways to tie the A plot into a more complex one with the many B plots. Eventually though it became obvious that it was a straightforward plot buried in less obvious ones.

Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου
I loved this book as much as the previous ones but it was bittersweet because for some weird reason I want Clare and Matt together... But I want them happy so I guess I have to settle with what I have got!
I love this series so much! Perfect cozy read!!
Michele
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books in Coyle's series. When Clare stumbles into Matteo's surprise bachelor party, and his invitees hire a stripper who looks exactly like Brianne Seymour, his fiance, she is shocked. She does everything she can to hide what is going on from Brianne. When the young stripper has no ride home, Clare and Matteo walk her out of the bar, when she is suddenly shot dead near the street. Matteo believes that the shooter was not actually targeting the stripper, but his fiance ...more
Shirielle
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Expresso Shot is 7th in the Coffeehouse Mystery series. It centers around the upcoming wedding of Matteo Allegro, Claire Cosi’s ex-husband and business partner. Claire manages the Village Blend coffee shop, owned by Matteo’s mom, affectionately called Madame. Madame believes Matteo/Matt is still in love with Claire, but, Claire is seeing Detective Mike Quinn and is not interested in getting back with Matt.

Matt is marrying Breanne Summour, magazine editor of Trend magazine. Is it a marriage of c
Mireille
Jul 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobook, abandoned
I have been trying to struggle through this for a month now. I actually want someone to succeed in harming Brianne, she's such a pain in the rear. I could get over that if Clare didn't fall into the trap of thinking she's some master sleuth attempting to unravel one of the crimes of the century. I liked these mysteries because she understood that she was an amateur with an understanding boyfriend who thinks she is capable of being a detective if she wants to. The setting and her occupation made ...more
Pamela Mclaren
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
A fun, light mystery with a hint of richness, which is only natural when you are talking about the coffeehouse mystery series featuring owner Clare Cosi, her detective boyfriend and the attachments of daughter, ex-husband, ex-mother-in-law and assorted other characters.

In this outing, Clare is mixing business with family as she caters the coffee and desert bar for the upcoming nuptials of her ex with his beloved fashionista. But Breanne has a past and loads of enemies, as does globe-trotting and

• The Ghost and the Femme Fatale (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #4)
  • The Ghost and the Haunted Mansion (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #5)
  • The Ghost and the Dead Deb (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • The Ghost and the Dead Man's Library (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • The Ghost and Mrs. McClure (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #1)
  • Book Clubbed (Booktown Mystery, #8)
  • Sentenced to Death (Booktown Mystery, #5)
  • On Borrowed Time (Library Lover's Mystery, #5)
  • Be Our Ghost (Merry Ghost Inn Mysteries, #3)
  • A Just Clause (Booktown Mystery, #11)
  • A Likely Story (Library Lover's Mystery, #6)
  • Doom with a View (Merry Ghost Inn. #2)
  • Not the Killing Type (Booktown Mystery, #7)
  • Murder on the Half Shelf (Booktown Mystery, #6)
  • A Killer Edition (Booktown Mystery, #13)
  • Title Wave (Booktown Mystery #10)
  • A Fatal Chapter (Booktown Mystery, #9)
  • Red Velvet Revenge (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #4)
Join Cleo's Coffee Club for bonus recipes and giveaways: https://cleocoylebooks.com/subscribe/

CLEO COYLE is the New York Times bestselling pseudonym for Alice Alfonsi, writing in collaboration with her husband, Marc Cerasini. As Cleo Coyle, they write the long-running Coffeehouse Mysteries. Their brand new Coffeehouse entry, (#18) BREWED AWAKENING , now a national bestseller, was praised as a "Poi

Coffeehouse Mystery (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1)
  • Through the Grinder (Coffeehouse Mystery, #2)
  • Latte Trouble (Coffeehouse Mystery, #3)
  • Murder Most Frothy (Coffeehouse Mystery, #4)
  • Decaffeinated Corpse (Coffeehouse Mystery, #5)
  • French Pressed (Coffeehouse Mystery, #6)
  • Holiday Grind (Coffeehouse Mystery, #8)
  • Roast Mortem (Coffeehouse Mystery, #9)
  • Murder by Mocha (Coffeehouse Mystery, #10)
  • A Brew to a Kill (Coffeehouse Mystery, #11)

News & Interviews

“We all have threads in our lives, continuous strands that reach back years, decades, entire lifetimes. The threads are what help define who we are.” 2 likes
“And Matt's passion fueled Breanne's emotional recovery. Giddily soaking up her groom's repeated, ardent kisses, the usually restrained, ultra-cool sophisticate was feeling no pain, laughing and animated and uncaring that her exquisite Italian silk creation had been stained like a macchiato. ...she wore the espresso like a badge of honor-- even insisted more photos be taken with the damaged tray and the spattered gown.” 0 likes