Start by marking “First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)” as Want to Read:
First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)

First Lord's Fury

(Codex Alera #6)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  59,228 ratings  ·  1,783 reviews
For Gaius Octavian, life has been one long battle. Now, the end of all he fought for is close at hand. The brutal, dreaded Vord are on the march against Alera. And perhaps for the final time, Gaius Octavian and his legions must stand against the enemies of his people. And it will take all his intelligence, ingenuity, and furycraft to save their world from eternal darkness.
Published November 24th 2009 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about First Lord's Fury, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Ryan In the first book Doroga points out that the Marat make a distinction between what someone is called and what they are. Tavi was called 'Octavian' but…moreIn the first book Doroga points out that the Marat make a distinction between what someone is called and what they are. Tavi was called 'Octavian' but what he was to Kitai was 'Her Aleran' and so that was how she referred to him.(less)

·  59,228 ratings  ·  1,783 reviews

Start your review of First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)
Mario the lone bookwolf
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: butcher-jim
Butcher prepared the end fight by creating the different magic abilities and their military equivalents of a mixed army of the good vs the uniform, endless forces of evil. There is still much room to play with the element of the armies in battles in Sci-Fi and fantasy and this is one of the freshest ideas, as it shows the advantages of both „quantity has a quality all its own“ and highly specialized elite forces.

Subjectively I would use mind controlled, brainwashed clone troops out of a pool of
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
I'm so sad it's over!!! The Codex Alera is officially one of my new favorite series.

Since I've gushed endlessly in all of the preceding reviews, I think that's all I need to say to cap it off at this point.

The first one is just okay. Keep reading!!
Anne
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I put off reading this for as long as possible because I didn't want it to end.
And, well...I didn't want any of my favorite characters to die.
(view spoiler)
And I'm sure that will probably upset some of you, but I couldn't g
Gene
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The book picks up right where the previous one left. I have an impression the only reason for the split of the story between books 5 and 6 was the author's desire to put a prologue with a nice epigraph at a certain point - this and the consideration of length of the resulting books.

The big bad enemy suffered a temporary setback, but was not beaten by any means. At least this gave the good guys time to regroup and collect their forces. For a lot of High Lords incoming complete devastation is not
Nimrod Daniel
May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Codex Alera really deserves a bump :)
That's a spoiler-less review I wrote a few years ago that sums up my thoughts of this amazing series. I hope more people read this great series.

It’s a really great book with lots of action and lots of fun. Definitely among the best books written by Jim Butcher, so prepare yourself for this big battle, because most of it is a super-awesome battle. The series ends up while all the loose ends are tied up pretty well, but there’s still an option for one more seri
Jim
This is the final book in the series & it did sum everything up nicely - too nicely. Butcher is just too attached to some of his characters. While that makes this a fun read, it lacked any depth of emotions for me. (view spoiler) It just took all the suspense out of it. C'mon Butcher, grow a pair! Life isn't f ...more
Yodamom
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh Mr. Butcher, You are so good, you left me in sad/happy tears. I hated to say goodbye to Tavi after spending a year with him and his companions. I loved and hated them, they became a part of me. His story ended so well, so beautifully weaved through horrors, happiness and heartbreaks. I was there riding the moving earth with him and I was there for the signing of the final contract. What an amazing trip it has been.

Derpa
So I finished this series and I would like to talk about it as a whole for a bit, because I believe it totally deserves more attention than it has gotten.

The thing about Jim Butcher is that I find he writes such approachable, human characters. In some circles he is treated like a literary criminal, who is lowly and offensive and just generally not okay whatsoever. At the same time... I love what he does. I love how during his works his characters become more than just paper thin things he move
Rob
Executive Summary: A mostly satisfying conclusion to an enjoyable series.

Audio book: Another enjoyable performance by Kate Reading. She really adds that extra something I hope to get from every audio book performance.

Full Review
This series is a lot of fun. My main complaint on my first read still holds true on the reread. I just don't care about the Vord. I enjoy the internal politics of the Alerans. I love the differences of the Alerans to the Marat, Canim and Ice Men.

The battles and inter
Choko
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, advanture
A great end to the series! Over all, it was fun to read, despite the narrative to have veered from time to time in directions more distracting then actually adding to the story . The characters were fun and likable, the Fantasy had a bit of Science Fiction thrown in it, and the tendency of the author to put our protagonists through the ringer and up to the edge of despair, was consistent from book one to the end. I am glad I had the time to read it and enjoy another Fantasy World!
Scott  Hitchcock
A great ending to a good series. The books got better as they went along. The first two were weak but the last four all very good. The magic system built around the Roman legions was well done as were the characters, deceptions and intrigue.
Tosh
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
**possible spoilers**

After Princeps' Fury I thought I might be experiencing a bit of series overkill since I was reading the books back to back in a matter of weeks. I was starting to be disappointed in the characters and the movement of the plot, so I decided to step away for a few months hoping that I would return refreshed and ready to finish the series.

But I discovered it wasn’t me after all. It was the VORD. I don’t like them. Ever since they invaded Alera my enjoyment dwindled. I’m not a
Duchess Nicole
HUGE FIVE STARS!!!
Well, me and my nerdy, fantasy loving self simply adored this entire series. Tavi is all grown up, the First Lord of Alera, and it has been such a fascinating journey. This is (so far) my favorite fantasy series, EVER!!!! Jim Butcher simply floors me with his imagery and skill at finding just the right way to write something as to keep me completely absorbed during the ENTIRE SERIES. Truly, in the fantasy world, there seems to be a handful of standout authors amidst a freaking
Corina
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
What a fantastic ride this was.

I'm incredibly sad to be done with this series. Now I know what a book hangover is all about. I truly wish Mr Butcher would write a sequel but that's wishful thinking on my part.

But honestly, anyone enjoying high fantasy novels should give this series a try.

___________________________________
Find more reviews and book recommendations on my blog.

Find me on Bookstagram.
Soo
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, favorites
Notes:

My fav book in the series. I may raise the rating to 5 but I have to think about it. This is the last book but there's so much more that could be explored in this world! I'm glad the story doesn't finish when you get to the end of the book but it does make me wish that more books are slated to be made to tell those stories.
YouKneeK
Apr 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the last book in the six-book Codex Alera series. This was a really good epic fantasy series, and I’m glad I read it. It was consistently well-written, with characters I cared a lot about, and an interesting story.

I do think I started to experience some “battle fatigue” by this last book. The whole series has quite a lot of action and it’s written well, focusing on the characters so that it stays interesting and doesn’t get repetitive. However, by this book I more or less knew how every
Donna
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This whole series by Jim Butcher was wonderful and entertaining. I enjoyed the characters the most. They were all so intricately woven in and attached to each other. They were all easy to like and better yet, they were characters you could root for. The battles between good and evil were strong and this pulled me in.

This book is the last in this series and the author brought closure to everyone. The ending was a little too sweet and somehow, even with all the battles, everyone (meaning the main
Kathleen
Gabriel
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gaius Octavian. Suuuuuper Genius.

I wonder how many people think of Wile E. Coyote as possessing significant heroic qualities. Jim Butcher certainly does. No matter how crazy the plan or how painful the results, once restored, the coyote finds himself undeterred and ready to strap himself to a giant rockets and light the fuse. This is a quality enjoyed by the heroes of Alera who are always ready to try a crazy plan that never fails to leave them a bloody mess. They pay the price for their super
Katerina
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
It all came back to Calderon.
The furyless boy who stopped a barbarian invasion ,the Academ who saved the First Lord's life,the Captain who fought for years the Canim and inspired everyone to follow him to death ,the Princeps who forged strong alliances became the First Lord who led his people to victory and the reason the Realm survived.
To say that this book was intense is an understatement, but I can't find words sufficient to describe it. Nor can I describe my sorrow that it is over,or the r
seak
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, 2019
This is a great series, I really enjoyed it, enjoyed the characters, etc., etc. But there's a but.

I think it would be so much better if it were half the length.

Loved the first 3, probably 4. Five and six just became a bit of a rough slog for me. It might be that, (1) it was relatively forgettable, but also, (2) maybe it's just me and I'm getting tired of very traditional fantasy.

And this is very traditional fantasy. It's well-done and enjoyable, but I think it just wore me down after a while.

I
Regan
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Words can not express how amazing this series is.
Kaila
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mountains, magic, 2014
I'M DONE. I DID IT. PLEASE TAKE THESE BOOKS OUT OF MY MEMORY NOW. ...more
Benjamin Thomas
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-epic
The world of Alera is facing its greatest enemy, an enemy so powerful and unstoppable that it simply can’t be beaten with the power of opposing armies. It calls for innovative solutions, creative thinking, and sheer guts to be able to surmount the odds. Perhaps a little insanity would also help. Who better than Tavi (Gaius Octavian), as he has shown time and time again, to be the one to lead the Alerans and their allies to victory?

The final volume in the 6-book ‘Codex Alera’ series manages, some
Tom Andry
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
This review covers the entire line of the Fury books. I can't honestly believe I made it through all of them. It must be some sort of perverse thought that they would end better. Butcher is in love with these characters. All of them. Even some of the minor ones. No matter how hard he kills them, they always seem to come back. It seemed that every third or fourth chapter ended with a "cliffhanger" of someone dead or almost dead just to have them resurrected in the next scene.

I thought, "Well, it
Richard
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of epic fantasy and/or the Dresden Files
I finished all six volumes in Jim Butcher’s Codex Alera series, so I’m writing one review to cover the whole set. Regardless of which of the books this review is attached to, if you want to read this epic saga, start with the first book: Furies of Calderon . I’ve also read all fourteen of the full-length books in his Dresden Files , and there are some interesting points of comparison.

First and foremost, this is a well-crafted and engrossing tale — definitely worth reading.

The tale follows
Kostas
9/10

“All things must come to an end. It is the way of the universe.”

With his first journey in traditional fantasy coming to its completion after five consecutive books, managing from the beginning to overcome every challenge that was set before him, Jim Butcher immerses us in the First Lord’s Fury, the sixth and final installment, into the greatest war that has ever appeared in the Realm, into a story of ice journeyers and Great Furies, of troops, bloodspeakers, and deadly queens, and into an ad
3.5 stars for this book and the series overall.

I enjoyed the Codex Alera. Jim Butcher struck a good balance between humour and seriousness, romance, politics, and fantasy elements, and success and failure in the face of a seemingly insurmountable foe. I felt satisfied by the end of the series. I'm sorry that I'm too lazy to write a better review, but there you have it. :)
Sheyla ✎

"Blighted bloody crows."

What a perfect ending to this series! Don't get me wrong not everything is picture-perfect. Alera and Canim have lost so much. It will take years to get back to normal but if somebody can accomplish it, Tavi can.

So what happens in the First Lord's Fury:

Tavi, now the First Lord of Alera is preparing to engage the Vord Queen. He knows killing her is the only way to save his people and the Canim, Marat, and Iceman. If he doesn't she will decimate them all. Thankfull
Tom
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
No doubt about that 5th star for the book and the series! Although this book ends the series there just seems to be so much more to be written. An entire book epilogue would be perfect. The epilogue in this one gave you a good idea on how things ended up and you can use your imagination on how the characters are going to complete their lives but I just LOVE THEM ALL AND WANT MORE!!!! I actually thought that it ended pretty good. Then the more I talked to my friend on what more could be written I ...more
Sci-fi and Heroic...: First Lord's Fury by Jim Butcher 23 28 Jul 23, 2019 11:47AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: First Lord's Fury [Dec 10, 2018] 12 48 Dec 24, 2018 01:26PM
Hard question: who's your favourite character? 2 7 Aug 24, 2018 10:31PM
Romance Lovers fo...: First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera #6) by Jim Butcher [Start: March 14, 2016] 29 35 Mar 20, 2016 03:36PM
What's the back story about the Romans? 6 66 Nov 23, 2015 01:35AM
Antillar Maximus 1 37 Sep 22, 2015 05:59AM

• Cytonic (Skyward, #3)
  • Reaper (Cradle, #10)
  • Bloodline (Cradle, #9)
  • Soulsmith (Cradle, #2)
  • The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3)
  • The Blood Mirror (Lightbringer, #4)
  • Blackflame (Cradle, #3)
  • Ghostwater (Cradle, #5)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • Wintersteel (Cradle, #8)
  • Skysworn (Cradle, #4)
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • Underlord (Cradle, #6)
  • Sunreach (Skyward, #2.1)
  • Wrath (The Faithful and the Fallen, #4)
  • Unsouled (Cradle, #1)
  • Rhythm of War (The Stormlight Archive, #4)
  • ReDawn (Skyward, #2.2)
See top shelves…
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

Codex Alera (6 books)
  • Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1)
  • Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2)
  • Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera, #3)
  • Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)
  • Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)