Start by marking “Hate List” as Want to Read:

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  34,394 ratings  ·  3,341 reviews
Five months ago, Valerie Leftman's boyfriend, Nick, opened fire on their school cafeteria. Shot trying to stop him, Valerie inadvertently saved the life of a classmate, but was implicated in the shootings because of the list she helped create. A list of people and things she and Nick hated. The list he used to pick his targets.

Now, after a summer of seclusion, Val is force
Published September 1st 2009 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hate List, please sign up.

Ellen I love this book, the theme is about tragedies and how there is always a solutions. Now matter how deep the hole you are in, some how you will get how…moreI love this book, the theme is about tragedies and how there is always a solutions. Now matter how deep the hole you are in, some how you will get how and never give up. (less)
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThirteen Reasons Why by Jay AsherThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyLooking for Alaska by John GreenSpeak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Best Teen Books About Real Problems
35th out of 2,016 books — 10,826 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsLooking for Alaska by John GreenThirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Best Young Adult Realistic Novels
75th out of 1,552 books — 9,359 voters

More lists with this book...

Stacia (the 2010 club)
3.5 stars. After sitting on my thoughts for a day, I feel like I can't review this book with any sort of polished thought process, so I'm just going to let my fingers type out whatever comes to mind. I think this book probably deserves a 4 star plus rating because it is a story worth telling and a story worth reading, but a few things held me back from going higher.

1. The timing was off for me. Given that my state has been rocked by several shootings over the past several years (the most recent
Kristi
Three words: Powerful, thought-provoking, & riveting.

The story initially jumps between the actual shooting in May and then following September when, Valerie is preparing to head back to school. Then it focuses on Valerie's senior year and the after math of the shooting itself. It's also laced with newspaper articles throughout the first half or so. These aspects really added a certain dynamic to the novel, and made it one that particularly stands out in my mind.

The narrative of this novel is
AriaTheBookNerd
This book reminded me of the song “Pumped-up Kicks” by Foster the People. It goes something like this:

All the other kids with the pumped up kicks,
You better run, better run, outrun my gun.
All the other kids with the pumped up kicks,
You better run, better run, faster than my bullet.

In the song, the shooter’s name was Robert while the guy in this book was named Nick.

Nick was not a violent person.
At first glance, you won’t even think of him as the guy who could do something like this.
He was a ho
Caris
What bullshit.

Quite vividly, I remember April 20, 2000. It was one year after what Wikipedia calls the “Columbine High School massacre” (which sounds like a movie I'd enjoy immensely). I wasn't terribly affected by the shootings when they happened. I was a high school student who was untouched by the tragedy. Nothing similar had ever happened anywhere near me. I had no frame of reference.

And then the copycats started. Bomb threats and seemingly random outbreaks of violence. And there were the mu
Olivia
I genuinely believe this is a life changing book - it's definitely made me think differently about life. Wow. Just, wow.

*FULL REVIEW BELOW.*

You know when you hear someone say, 'One day, you will find a book that will change the way you think about life.' Yeah? Well for me, that book was Hate List.

This book is one which hasn't got the most action packed plot, yet is rather driven by the stunning, multi-layered characters. Valerie, our main protagonist was such an interesting character to read abo
Faye, la Patata
What a disappointing book. GAH. I'm so mad.

Whiny heroine, whiny parents, whiny brother, whiny friends. I just can't stand it. And why is she trying to force the idea that Nick was still a good guy even if he shot and killed several people? Don't fucking make excuses for him. Ugh.

I mean seriously, the dad threatened to disown the girl! The mom told her outright that she ruined her life for simply loving the wrong guy. She wasn't even the criminal and yet her family treats her like one. What kind
Rebecca
Hate List is one of those rare finds that leaves you completely stunned and quite literally sends your emotions running around in circles.

As I was reading Hate List I found myself on the edge of my seat wanting to know more about everything in the book. I really loved Valerie as a character, I found myself feeling so bad for her. I hated the way that almost everyone treated her. I think that in a way I found Valerie to be so relatable was because she had flaws and she wasn't perfect, she was a t
Rose
Initial reaction: There aren't a lot of books that make me cry. This one made me teary eyed in places.

It's a book that covers many difficult subjects and emotions, and there are definitely a lot of times where Valerie was a difficult character to follow, but man - her emotions, experiences - all felt very genuine and real to me.

Val's parents were horrible.

Listened to this via audiobook, beautifully narrated.

Full review:

Oh man, how on earth do I write a review on Jennifer Brown's "Hate List?" Hon
 ᴍɪᴄs *doesn't even know what page she's on*
Leído para el 2015 reading challenge #38. Libro que te haga llorar

Frankie: ¡¡TRAIDOR!!. Metete el cochecito de papi bien en el cu**.

Papá de Val (cualquiera que sea tu asqueroso nombre): SORETEEEEE. Sos una vergüenza de padre. ¡VAL SE MERECE UN PADRE MEJOR!. SORETEEEE. Te importa más la minucha con la que estas saliendo que tu propia hija. SOS UN SORETE.

Mamá de Val: You tried.

Dr. Hieler: Man, you're awesome.

Pensé que iba a ser un libro SOLO enfocado en el bullying y si bien eso es el origen de t
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
With the electricity gone for a good two days and a mere candle to acompany me in a restless night, I spotted HATE LIST which I had purchased well over a year ago. I ignored it really, maybe because I knew it would be a conflicting read.

With HATE LIST I went through an array of emotions. There were the good parts, the bad and the in - between bits. For the most part, I spent the majority of the novel seriously pissed.

I made some notes in my diary for the first time actually. They are on the roug
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Karin Librarian for TeensReadToo.com

Valerie is alone. Her family tiptoes around her, her friends act like she doesn't exist, and most of the people in the community think she should be dead.

Valerie's boyfriend, the person she trusted more than anyone else, shattered her life when he brought a gun to school and wounded several students and killed many others, including himself. Most people believe Valerie was involved, but she had no idea what Nick was planning.

After spending weeks in
Kim
“Perhaps it is only human nature to inflict suffering on anything that will endure suffering, whether by reason of its genuine humility, or indifference, or sheer helplessness.” ― Honoré de Balzac

Perhaps.

Some article some where said that this was one of those 'must read' young adult books. I didn't really read into it to see why. The title sort of piqued my interest. Who didn't have a hate list? Right?

My 25th high school reunion was 2 days ago. I found this out because a couple of friends from
Andy
I'm not going to write massive amounts on this book, but put simply I would have easily given a 5 star review if it weren't for the confusing tense changes up until about half way through the novel.

The second book of the year to make me cry, multiple times in fact. The story becomes so much more that what is represented at first glance, and it went to places that really reached out to me.

Phenomenal read.
Mary
First thought after I finished: Can everyone just go and read this book, please? Thank you.

I love it when a book creeps up on me and sucker punches me in the gut, yelling: “hello yes I am now in your top favourite books of all time and I don’t plan on leaving”. Hate List did this. I am in love with this book. I cried so much while reading it and it really struck a chord with me.

At first look, Hate List is a book about a school shooting and about the aftermath of that. On May 2nd 2007, Nick open
Heather
What can I say about Hate List that could ever do it justice? This book was eerie. I connected to it on such a personal level that it sort of freaked me out. I’m really hoping that this fact is due to the talent of Jennifer Brown. For once, I can truly say that I have found a writer that can tap into what it really feels like to be a teenager, an honest to goodness, authentic teen. Not the nice goodie two shoes we so often read about, not the one’s who cuss, sneak off with boys and fight with th ...more
Zoe Kay
Honestly, I my main problem with this book is that I found Valerie very difficult to relate to and understand. At points I could connect with the character, but she seemed selfish and acted, in my opinion, unrealistically when faced with certain situations, like just (view spoiler) at the end of the book. She just seems off.

Nick was also very annoying to read about. She tried to highlight Nick's "good side," but he shot up a school. The author doesn't emphasiz
Lynda
School shooting is a topic of intense interest around the world, particularly in the United States where most have taken place. A thorough study of all United States school shootings by the U.S. Secret Service warned against the belief that a certain "type" of student would be a perpetrator. While it may be simplistic to assume a straightforward "profile", the study did find certain similarities among the perpetrators. The researchers found that:
killers do not 'snap'. They plan. They acquire w
Paul Bryant
Hate List is a YA novel about the aftermath of a school shooting. Okay, you do get the pre-math and the math itself, a little bit, but 90% is about the aftermath. I don't read YA novels because I'm an A and no longer Y but I read this one because life is pretty random, just like school shootings. One here, one there, who knows where the next one will be? All you know is, there will be a next one.

This is an anguished tale told in the voice of 16 or 17 year old Valerie, and she went out with this
Kami Garcia
Truly one of the best books I've ever read. This book will tear your heart and out and Jennifer Brown will stitch it back up for you.
Thomas
Hate List is the story of Valerie Leftman, whose boyfriend Nick Levil brought a gun to school and murdered six people and injured countless others. Val is a hero because she inadvertently stopped Nick's shooting rampage by getting herself shot in the thigh, but is also a suspect and associate to the crime because she helped him construct the Hate List - the list he used to pick people off during the shooting. Whenever Nick or Val would get angry or frustrated with the bullies at their school the ...more
Isamlq
Powerful subject, this. Yet, there’s still something lacking. Most of the people here felt totally black or white to me (save Valerie, though). Take the bullies, they’re beautiful and popular and disgustingly mean spirited. Take their victims, who’re all on the fringe. But more than that, what of her friends who are not there. Who distance themselves her and prove to her just how alone she was. Or that mystery bad person who drags Nick lower, where was he in all of this? It’s like one mention of ...more
Tammara
Brown does a wonderful job of stripping this story to bare facts and then layering the emotions over it, so you can see where the emotions and responses originate.

Protagonist Valerie is suffering the loss of her boyfriend, Nick, a guy she's been with for three years. Nick shot himself after bringing a gun to school and shooting several people, and her (accidentally? no one will ever know), and then himself. Valerie had begun a "Hate List" in junior high, to vent her feelings about being bullied,
Ashleigh Paige
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten!

AND I THOUGHT TORN AWAY WAS THE WORST THING JENNIFER BROWN COULD INFLICT ON MY HEART. I WAS SO WRONG. Ahem. My experience with her novels before ranged from soul-destroying (Torn Away) to okay (Thousand Words), so my expectations for Hate List were that it would be somewhere between the two. NOPE. Hate List broke the scale, my heart, and my brain even though it should have been broken years ago because of how much I've read about school shootings.

Cory
Well, I finally finished this one. I'm proud to announce that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The best part: there's no love interest. Yes, we have an actual plot instead of a love triangle.

There are a few annoying things sprinkled here and there, like Valerie's relationship with her father, the fact that Nick's transformation isn't shown, and that we don't hear more about her brother, Frankie. But over all, it's a decent book. Much better than most YA out there. 3.5 stars.
Zorana
My actual rating is a 2.5/5 stars.

I have some things to say about this book.
First of,I wanted to read it for sooooo long,like 3years ago I saw it in a bookstore and I was like
"wow the topic of this book is great I need to read it asap" okay,needless to say *cough* 3years after
I finally read it by borrowing it to my local library.

This book wasn't really what I expected it to be. The main character Valérie, I really couldn't connect with her and I feel sorry for that,because I feel like I wanted
Adriana

Reseña:

Cinco meses después del tiroteo que ocurrió en su instituto, Valerie debe enfrentarse a la terrible experiencia que supone volver a él. No sólo por el recuerdo del suceso, si no porque la persona detrás del gatillo, era su novio, Nick, del que aún sigue enamorada. Por si eso fuera poco, está en el punto de mira de las autoridades policiales por la lista negra que ella y Nick escribieron juntos, la lista que Nick usó para escoger a sus víctimas antes
Chris
Nick had always been obsessed with death. It wasn't any big deal, you know? Some people were obsessed with video games. Some people thought about nothing but sports. Some guys were totally into military stuff. Nick liked death. From day one when he was sprawled across his bed talking about how Hamlet should have killed Claudius when he had the chance, Nick had talked about death.

But they were stories, that's all. He told stories about death. He recounted movies, books, all with tragic and meanin
Margaret Stohl
Could only hold off crying until p 385. Brown is a great writer & even better cinematographer; more than anything, I love the way she works her mental camera. Story is blistering and real; somehow nobody is blamed, yet nobody is spared. In that way Brown recalls the great Laurie Halse Anderson; and like I say of LHA, she writes like a cutter, you bleed while you read.

Will review in detail for blog contest at later date.
Kristin
I would like to make an addition to Valerie and Nick's hate list, and that is the book, "Hate List." I really could not stand this book. I think the concept of "Hate List" is intriguing, and the book certainly brings up plenty of debatable issues such as bullying, personal responsibility, depression, guilt-by-association, family discord, and identity; however, I really feel like the text didn't live up to the enormity of a school shooting. Also, there were characters and situations that just see ...more
  • Flash Burnout
  • Right Behind You
  • Hold Still
  • Purple Heart
  • All Unquiet Things
  • Some Girls Are
  • After
  • The Mockingbirds (The Mockingbirds, #1)
  • Ostrich Boys
  • Freaks and Revelations
  • Once Was Lost
  • By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead
  • Call the Shots (Swim the Fly, #3)
  • Burn
  • Leverage
  • You
  • Boy Toy
  • Split
Two-time winner of the Erma Bombeck Global Humor Award (2005 & 2006), Jennifer's weekly humor column appeared in The Kansas City Star for over four years, until she gave it up to be a full-time young adult novelist.

Jennifer's debut novel, HATE LIST (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, 2009) received three starred reviews and was selected as an ALA Best Book for Young Adults, a VOYA "Perfec
More about Jennifer Brown...
Bitter End Thousand Words Torn Away Perfect Escape Life on Mars

“Just like there's always time for pain, there's always time for healing.” 410 likes
“Life isn't fair. A fair's a place where you eat corn dogs and ride the ferris wheel.” 203 likes