Start by marking “10-10-10: A Life-Transforming Idea” as Want to Read:
10-10-10: A Life-Transforming Idea

10-10-10: A Life-Transforming Idea

Any choice you make - any decision - will benefit from 10-10-10. We all want to lead a life of our own making. But in today's accelerated world, with its competing priorities, information overload, and confounding options, we can easily find ourselves steered by impulse, stress, or expedience. Are our decisions the right ones? Or are we being governed, time and time again, ...more
Published April 14th 2009 by Scribner (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about 10-10-10, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 10-10-10

Start your review of 10-10-10: A Life-Transforming Idea
Victoria Klein
Aug 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Before you assume this is “just another self-help” book, I encourage you to drop those thoughts at the door. This is not a self-help book; it is not out to fix your life. Author Suzy Welch is very open about the fact that her 10-10-10 “life management tool” is not a solution to all your problems – it is simply meant to help you make informed, intelligent decisions that aren’t based purely on tension or emotion.

The concept is simple: phrase your problem as a specific question that you need to
Desirae
Dec 09, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There are very few books that I actually wish that I would not have wasted my time reading. This is now counted among them.
Amanda Bynum
May 31, 2010 rated it liked it
My book club is reading this for June - otherwise, I probably wouldn't give it a second glance.

But boy was I surprised. I actually like this quite a bit. I can see how using the 10-10-10 (immediate future, short-term long-term future, and way off in the distance long-term future) framework can be incredibly helpful when a person is faced with making a giant decision (should I try for that promotion, should I have another child etc). But as I told a buddy the other day, I can't live my life
Karla
Sep 28, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2009, nonfiction
10-10-10 The idea is that when you need to make a decision, look at what will be the results in 10 minutes, 10 hours, and 10 years. Good idea - bad book. The premise could be explained in a short article. The author managed to stretch a book out of it by including many, many examples of how people used this tool and made the right decision. I found the book boring and repetitive. I guess if Oprah likes your idea, you can get a book published out of it. I also found the author to be somewhat smug ...more
Kathleen
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have just finished reading Suzy Welch's 10-10-10. In this book she teaches you to address the problems that arise in your life. First by phrasing the problem in the form of a question, then to analyze the different possible solutions and their effect on your life in 10 minutes, 10 months, and 10 years. She believes that by addressing the issues in this manner you will arrive at the proper solution for yourself based on your personal values. Suzy brought so many personal examples from her own ...more
Kirtika
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is usually tough to come across a book that is breezy enough to finish over a flight or at bedtime, yet impacts significantly how you live your life after the book. This is one of them.
It has a simple premise - you can make good decisions by thinking about how each of your possible choices will work in 10 minutes (here and now), in 10 months (when the dust has settled) and in 10 years (long term).
This does not imply always making decisions for the long-term. Instead, it makes clear the
biblio_mom
10-10-10, an innovative approach to thinking about and resolving the life dilemmas that all too often leave us feeling paralyzed.

An antidote to the mounting pressure to make too many choices in too little time, this powerful new idea can be applied to issues encountered at work, in marriage and other personal relationships, as a parent, and as a friend. By considering each of your options and projecting their outcomes in 10 minutes, 10 months and 10 years, you'll learn how to "get unstuck" and
Birsilah Bakar
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Not a bad idea. Suzy was honest with her struggles and even wrote about her own embarrassing moments. I love her sincerity and her positive outlook. Jack must be a catch because she seemed to be truly, madly, deeply in love with him.
Bonnie
May 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
10-10-10: A Life Transforming Idea is an amazing book, chock full of great ideas, anecdotes and humor and it is written by best-selling author Suzy Welch, a mother of four and a columnist for Business Week and O, The Oprah Magazine. Suzy developed this 10-10-10 principle from her own experience as a mom and businesswoman. The 10-10-10 principle is a wonderful tool to help you think through choices and determine how a decision would impact your life immediately (10 Minutes), in the short term (10 ...more
Charlene
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Great, winning philosophy, just so so read.
You can get the idea in far less than the book's 200 pages.
From the great "O" opra to FAST Company and leaders in the field of decisionmaking (such as Stanford Professor Chip Heath) they all agree.

Do you have to make a difficult decision.... Business writer and author Suzy Welch suggests making that call by using the 10-10-10 rule to get your priorities in order first. The brain knows that decisions are rooted in feelings, and the long-term
g
Sep 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-read
Janie
Jun 14, 2009 rated it liked it
What turns out to be a really simple tool for decision making, is also very profound. She teaches us to make decisions based on our values and to ask ourselves three questions when making decisions. 1) What are the consequences of my decision in 10 minutes? In 10 months? And in 10 years?
It is simple, but yet it takes some time and effort. She gives a lot of illustrations from her life and others that shows how it works.
Jay
Feb 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook, business
Simple concept - think about short term, medium term and long term impacts of decisions. Lots of anecdotes on the use of this process. While in the anecdotes the people making decisions came up with some kind of story for each "time view" of their decision aftermath, I think they could have as easily come up with totally different stories that would have suggested they make different decisions. So I see this method as one of many to consider when making decisions, certainly not the only one.
Hillary
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was a bit distracted while reading, since I usually would pick it up on my lunch break, so I think a reread would be helpful. I think the idea presented is great: thinking about the impacts of your decisions in the present, near future, and far future. I enjoyed the examples given and loved to see how "10-10-10" can be applied to all sorts of situations.
Christine
Jun 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
Great concept--but you don't need an entire book to explain it. I did enjoy reading it, but would rather have gotten it from the library, as the main concept of the book is about as large as her original article in Oprah about it.
Cyril Danthi
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Ten Ten Ten !! has different connotation based on the situation.

Ten Ten Ten - A Life Transforming Idea, after reading this book, my thoughts is that this book teaches an new method or process that could be practiced for decision making. This method of decision making considers short term, medium term and long term perceptive of the decision.

Decision making is an art. The decision taken at that time based on that situation probably would be the right decision. However any analysis post taking
George Slade
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
I'm pleased enough to have read this book, but I have to say that I'm glad I read it for free from the library, instead of paying for it.

It's not a bad book, especially if it's one of the first books you've read on values, priorities and decision making; however, after reading books on Essentialism, 80/20 Management and other leadership and management philosophies, this one, although well paced, falls short of adding much more to the pile.

With that said, there were a couple of stories in there,
Li Li
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Good concepts. The net of it, you have to have short-, mid-, and long-term view for every decision you have to make. Truly understand you core value and stick to it. I will have to concur with a lot of the reviews on GoodReads - this book could be about 5 pages and still get the point across. How many "case studies" do I need to read about other people's decisions.
BriZen
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable - some insightful tidbits in this book. It's well written and referenced. I already started employing some of tge techniques and reading some of the books mentioned. Especially good if you're having to make some big decisions or wanting to shake things up in your life but not sure if you should. Probably worth the quick read.
Jeffrey Potter
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A simple approach to decision making in framing the question of how will XYZ affect my life in the next 10 minutes, 10 months, 10 years. It's that simple, but she shows how it can be applied in various areas of your life to simplify what may seem difficult choices at the time.
Heather
Feb 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Easy read, so almost gave an extra star for that factor. The principle of the book is good to help you see beyond the now moment. However, I really didn’t need a whole book to understand this. An article or even the first paragraph was enough.
Michelle Hart
Mar 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2017
This book could have been (and probably should have been) a magazine article. Do you need to make a decision between A and B? Take some time and think 'if I choose A, what will be the possible/likely results in 10 minutes, 10 months, and 10 years?', then do the same projection with choice B. That's the 10-10-10. The rest of the book is MANY MANY MANY anecdotes about applying this simple concept. Save yourself the time of reading this book and just remember '10 minutes, 10 months, 10 years'. It ...more
Rida
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a really good book
And a great self-help
J
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I found this book helpful even if the ideas seem a bit common sense.
John Brown
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great insight. This one had me re-thinking a lot of my current and future decisions.
Sissi
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
The reason of the Personal success of Mrs. Welch is not in all cases transferable to everyone but that‘s the problem of most self help books. Read it and see if it‘s for you.
Rachel
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I like the concept, but the book had too many examples instead of actually explaining how to use it.
Stephanie Pettus
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love it! This isn’t just for decision making. I’ve found myself doing this before I even speak. The simplest ideas seem to always be the best.
Kris
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Two stars because the idea is sound. However, a whole book? Would have been a good article. The book is a yawner though. How many times can you say the same thing?
Komal
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read. A book for lifetime.

This book gives a new perspective towards every big and small problems and how to handle them. It gives a new look towards our life.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Call Me Ted
  • Business @ the Speed of Thought: Succeeding in the Digital Economy
  • Co-Opetition
  • Everyday Survival: Why Smart People Do Stupid Things
  • Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar: How Self-Education and the Pursuit of Passion Can Lead to a Lifetime of Success
  • This Will Change Everything: Ideas That Will Shape the Future
  • Pour Your Heart Into It: How Starbucks Built a Company One Cup at a Time
  • Made From Scratch: A Memoir
  • Unlearn: 101 Simple Truths for a Better Life
  • Crowdsourcing: Why the Power of the Crowd Is Driving the Future of Business
  • The New Global Student: Skip the SAT, Save Thousands on Tuition, and Get a Truly International Education
  • Direct from Dell: Strategies that Revolutionized an Industry
  • The First Billion Is the Hardest: How Believing It's Still Early in the Game Can Lead to Life's Greatest Comebacks
  • It's Not About the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance
  • Billion-Dollar Lessons: What You Can Learn from the Most Inexcusable Business Failures of the Last 25 Years
  • Ahead of the Curve: Two Years at Harvard Business School
  • This I Believe: Life Lessons
Suzy Welch is an author, commentator, and business journalist. She writes a weekly business column, The Welch Way, with her husband, Jack Welch. The Welches are also the co-authors of Winning, a #1 Wall Street Journal and international bestseller, and its companion volume, Winning: The Answers. On her own, Suzy is a columnist for O, The Oprah Magazine, where she writes frequently about balancing ...more