Start by marking “1001 Inventions That Changed the World” as Want to Read:
1001 Inventions That Changed the World

1001 Inventions That Changed the World (1001 Before You Die)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  209 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
We take thousands of inventions for granted, using them daily and enjoying their benefits. But how much do we really know about their origins and development? This absorbing new book tells the stories behind the inventions that have changed the world, with details about--
Convenience items, such as safety pins, toothbrushes, and bifocals Weapons of war, including explosiv
Published March 1st 2009 by Barron's Educational Series (first published January 1st 2009)

1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die by Peter Boxall1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die by Stephen Farthing1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up by Julia Eccleshare1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die by Steven Jay SchneiderThe Infinity of Lists by Umberto Eco
A List of Lists
254 books — 34 voters
Brave New World / Brave New World Revisited by Aldous HuxleyAround the World in Eighty Days by Jules VerneThe War of the Worlds by H.G. WellsDanny the Champion of the World by Roald DahlLet the Great World Spin by Colum McCann
The World
190 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Janet
May 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is heavy... literally. Not one to carry around for a quick read (it must weigh 5 lbs!) - but the graphic design and structure of the content is meant for just that. The entries succinctly describe human inventions in an historical timeline from prehistory to the present - it is fascinating, with many surprises (when do you think toothpaste was invented?) All the inventions cited here are significant in resolving some aspect of human need, usually the most enduring ones are elegantly si ...more
PG Ragavandir
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Helps to Invent
Stevedutch
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I’m a bit of a fan of ‘titbit’ books that you can pick up; gain something useful from by way of inspiration, information, motivation and probably any other of a hundred other words ending in –ion; and put down without worrying about losing your place!

This book certainly fulfils that criterion. Distributed amongst eight useful categories from ‘The Ancient World’ to the ‘Internet Age’ are the products of Human’s inventiveness that made the modern World we live in today. The earliest entry goes to
Anton Klink
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It took me almost a year to finish the book by reading a few pages every day, but I must say, this is one of the best books on science and invention I have ever read. The articles are varied and engaging with fun facts sprinkled all around, and the book is beautifully illustrated with drawings and full colour photos.

If I was to bring out one minor point, then I did wish there were more schematics and diagrams in the middle part of the book which was the hardest to understand. Whereas the beginni
Gabriel Crowell
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is an informative one which goes from the beginning of human history and has inventions which changed either how we viewed/ interacted with one another or the world. The book goes in depth into many inventions some which you never would have had much of an impact such as the artificially made toothbrush bristle. It was not until reading this book that I realized that if it wasn't for this invention we still may be using sticks or boar bristles for dental hygiene.

I gave this book five
Lanita
Oct 27, 2009 rated it liked it
I didn't read this book cover to cover, but I had so much fun perusing through it. It would make a great coffee table book! It had EVERYTHING in it from toliet paper, cardboard boxes, the fountain pen, super glue, cell phones, computers, pacemakers, and on and on and on. Fun book!
Leslie
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
some really interesting stuff! a bunch i had no clue about (like insulin) that made me go do more research. this is a good one to keep around a read a bit at a time, great info to keep in your brain for trivia games.
Viju Chellamuthu
The book serves as a quick reference for some interesting science inventions. With Wikipedia around for adults and the internet savvy... this book can form a good birthday gift to interesting minds. The book is heavy but the paper quality, imagery are all good quality. The book meets it's purpose.
Mark Desrosiers
Apr 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Definitely the coolest and fascinating of these "1001" books, but there is one egregious omission: Chester Carlson, inventor of the photocopier.
Anudeep
super
Kate
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Very interesting at some parts, but boring at others.
Michael
Mar 23, 2011 is currently reading it
So many amazing inventions throughout time. lots of them deserving of more credit then they been given in historical script. Way to go Human Mind!
Marcos Guirro
Impressionante como certas tecnologias foram inventadas há mais de 100 anos, principalmente no setor automotivo.
Dreion
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Nifty source of historical background on the world's top inventions.

Info presentation needs a bit of work, since reading the entries becomes somewhat tedious and uninspiring after a while.
Ahmad AlAli
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply, AMAZING book..!
Patty R.
I'll have to check this one out at a later time. I only managed to get to the first 20 pages.
Daniel
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
It was good
Rafael da Silva
É um livro bem interessante. É interessante ver o progresso do conhecimento humano assim como é muito interessante descobrir os ancestrais de coisas que achamos que existiram desde sempre.
Sportyrod
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent for trivia. The book had a good balance between typical facts about the inventions and interesting information about how the inventions came about.
Ran
Dec 02, 2013 is currently reading it
good one
Islam Mohamed
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I didn't read it all, I use it like a dictionary, when something hits my brain, I look it up and read about it, It's amazing
Joseph Roach
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business

Great coffee table book, which is where it resides.
Abraham Ray
  • World Religions: The Great Faiths Explored & Explained
  • Evolution The Human Story
  • 1001 Songs You Must Hear Before You Die
  • Ultimate Visual Dictionary
  • History's Greatest Lies: The Startling Truths Behind World Events our History Books Got Wrong
  • Medieval Machine: The Industrial Revolution of the Middle Ages
  • 1001 Historic Sites You Must See Before You Die
  • The Book of the Dead: Lives of the Justly Famous and the Undeservedly Obscure
  • 1001 Days That Shaped the World (1,000... Before You Die Books)
  • Dear Benjamin Banneker
  • How Brains Think: Evolving Intelligence, Then And Now
  • 1968: O Ano Que Não Terminou
  • Drugs: A Very Short Introduction

1001 Before You Die (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die
  • 1001 Battles That Changed the Course of World History
  • 1001 Beers You Must Taste Before You Die (1001 (Universe))
  • 1001 Bicycles to Dream of Riding
  • 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die
  • 1001 Buildings You Must See Before You Die: The World's Architectural Masterpieces (Quintessence Books)
  • 1001 Cars to Dream of Driving Before You Die
  • 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up
  • 1001 Classical Recordings You Must Hear Before You Die (1001 before you die)
  • 1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die: The Ultimate Guide to Comic Books, Graphic Novels, and Manga