Start by marking “Mystery of the Glowing Eye (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #51)” as Want to Read:
Mystery of the Glowing Eye (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #51)

Mystery of the Glowing Eye

(Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #51)

When Nancy eagerly agrees to help Carson Drew solve the mystery of the glowing eye, she cannot know Ned will be kidnapped! A puzzling note in his handwriting sets Nancy, Bess and George on a hazardous search for a bizarre criminal. The young detectives follow a maze of clues to locate the kidnapper’s hideout. Nancy must not only thwart the criminal but also must contend ...more
Published 1974 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about Mystery of the Glowing Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystery of the Glowing Eye

Start your review of Mystery of the Glowing Eye (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #51)
Whitney
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew
Quickly Burt slit the envelope and took out the enclosed note. In a hastily scrawled handwriting Ned had written, "Don't know where I am. Prisoner of red-haired nut."

We're near the end of the 50-something original Nancy books. And the writing team has been running out of ideas. We get the idea that we might be in the mid-1970s. One of the main "villains" in this book, aside from the red-haired nut, is a robot helicopter.

And to clarify, said "nut" has a name. He is . . . ready for this? Zapp
Melanie
Nancy seems a lot less mature in this one than in the other ones. Less of a put-together woman and more of an infantilized teenager. She randomly stares into space a lot, I guess from all the concussions, though she hasn't lost consciousness in three books.

In the first chapter a pilotless^ helicopter crashes in Nancy's yard. From it Nancy discovers that Ned Nickerson has been kidnapped (after sussing out a "lost textile process*," natch). Also some 24-year-old attorney proposes to Carson Drew.

John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Danger and intrigue haunt Nancy Drew in this thrilling addition to the book series.
S
Jul 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Pam
Oct 26, 2011 rated it liked it
This Nancy Drew was published in 1974. If it had existed and I had read it in 1970. I would have given it 4 stars. I enjoyed this book for all the reasons I enjoyed Nancy as a kid-Nancy's independence, persistence in pursuing the clues to a nice tidy mystery ending. (and I'm still envious of her roadster) Nancy investigates a strange eye shaped glowing light in a museum and the kidnapping of Ned. The coincidences of all the clues leading to ending of these mysteries bugged me a lot as a huge ...more
Suziey
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When Nancy discovers that Ned has been kidnapped, she takes it upon herself to try to find him.
I absolutely loathed this book. It starts off with Nancy being jealous of Marty King, a young, new lawyer working for her father. Nancy is upset that Marty King is taking over a mystery her father had initially mentioned to her. Then it kind of spirals out into the science fiction realm.

A self-piloted helicopter lands on Nancy’s front lawn. In the cockpit, she finds a note scrawled by Ned, warning her
Hazel
3.75 stars.

I enjoyed reading this one but I gave it a bit lower rating than I usually would because there were some elements that I didn’t like about it. It definitely was fun to reread and annotate with my thoughts.

I think the main thing I didn’t like about this one was Nancy’s attitude toward the case. Her boyfriend Ned has supposedly been kidnapped, but she doesn’t seem overly concerned about it. She basically treats it like just another case and when she keeps hitting dead ends her attitude
Julie_ian_curtis
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-reader, old-skool
IrishFan
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
I do not remember reading this one when I was younger. The story was pretty complicated, and I guess for its time (1970s) fairly advanced content-wise. And who knew Ned was working on such high-tech, complicated work in his teens? Oh brother. Too much science-fiction vibe in this one for me.
emma grace
Doesn't this cover creep you out?
Jannine
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
first book i ever read!
Karla
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am re-reading the first 56 Nancy Drew books. I liked this one more than most.

Mild spoilers ahead -

Ned goes missing, and for once the story is plausible. Not exactly believable of a young college undergrad, but at least plausible. And Nancy is jealous of her dad’s new employee. Nancy, jealous!! She is a 24 year old lawyer her dad hired and who Nancy thinks will get all her detective work. Well Nancy, you could go to college too. You are certainly smart enough and can afford it. But I digress.
LobsterQuadrille
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of both Nancy Drew and weird old sci-fi movies

Mystery of the Glowing Eye has to be a contender for the most bizarre Nancy Drew book. To its credit, that's probably why I remembered so much of it. Nancy spends the book trying to find Ned, who has been abducted because his crazy lab partner wants to steal Ned's highly advanced invention(I guess college students have time to make groundbreaking discoveries in the Nancy Drew universe).
There is so much crazy pseudoscience in the story that it is almost reminiscent of a 50s science
Story_Girl
I have to say this is probably my least favourite Nancy Drew because most of the time I didn't have a clue what was going on - and still don't to be honest. I can not say what it was all about in the end. Perhaps the original text made more sense but this one certainly left me scratching my head. I did like to see a more gentle side to Nancy though.
Donna
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Challenge: RRRCs December 2018 - Cover with eye/red/cyclops (2). This Nancy Drew was interesting as a 1970s installment of the series published well after I was of the audience intended for the book. Earlier books were tighter written and had more plausible conclusions, but still a fun read of a childhood favorite.
Melissa Namba
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
a fun read bit doesn't transcend time. no kid this day and age would feel like they could just grab a helicopter driver and putz around town in a copter. I think most young kids would be confused about why they don't just use their cell phones for a lot of this. plus there is a lot of dumb heroics that kids are advised not to do nowadays. the idea of a paralyzing light is interesting.
Sarahanne
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm sure I read this as a kid, but I found a couple at the thrift store & it seemed just RIGHT to read some Nancy Drew.

(And my son, Ned, is named after his great grandfather. The connection with Nancy Drew's beau is just a great coincidence.)
Kathy Nealen
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Who would have guessed that a Nancy Drew mystery from 1972 would predict drones???!!! This mystery actually had an unmanned helicopter large enough to hold a few people. Nancy called it a “robot copter”.
Beela
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good, 2018
Great quick read.
Lisa
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting and fun book.
DeAnna
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In the mystery of the glowing eye, I was all curled up in my blankets! This story is an amazing story and it was so thrilling! Five Stars from me!
Mydogs
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME BOOK! full of suspense!
Tori
Jan 20, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Well, this will be the last one of these I read. I read a few in the series years (probably decades) ago and wow. I can't get over the sexist attitudes of these books. Yeah yeah. I know this was remarkable at the time. I had a big problem with Nancy's pettiness at another woman daring to be interested in solving "her" mystery. My eyes about popped out of my head when it talks about Bess envying a woman's slim figure. WTF? I guess Nancy Drew used to be cutting edge, but not any longer. I saw ...more
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the 51st book in the series, dated 1974.

The main characters are Nancy, her friends Bess and George (both female), Ned, a friend of hers, and Marty King, an assistant to Nancy's father.

Nancy's concerned that Marty will try to take a certain case away from her. Meanwhile, Ned has been kidnapped, so that's one problem. Another is when a helicopter lands on their front lawn. There's also a mysterious note, 'Beware of the Cyclops.'

There's a glowing red eye at a certain museum, and the woman
Phe
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mystery of the Glowing Eye is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 51st book in the Nancy Drew series.

Nancy Drew and her friends explore the Anderson Museum at Emerson College to solve the kidnapping of Ned Nickerson. And a fiery glowing eye in the museum, the code name Cyclops, and a pilotless helicopter draw them further into the dangerous investigation.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent
Chris.m
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nancy Drew: Mystery of the Glowing Eye was a really great book I loved it a lot, it is about a girl named Nancy Drew who is on a mystery to find her friend Ned Nickerson who suposedly was kidnapped by someone or something called the cyclops. Nancy and her friends Beth and George try to go and uncover the mysterious case of the glowing eye which Nancy thinks that the cyclops and the mystery of the glowing eye are all connected some how and she needs to know why and try to save her friend Ned from ...more
Tabi34
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is by far the best of the Nancy Drew series. When I give it a five - it's based on the others in the series.

Ned has been kidnapped and Nancy is hot on the trail to find him. Unfortunately, she just misses the kidnapper on occasion. This is the first book where we see some true emotion from Nancy. I think the character has finally evolved to more of a real person instead of girl wonder with an endless supply of money and time. She worries over Ned. Ned should be happy - it's the first time
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
I read Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys throughout my school and college days.
Nancy Drew is an amateur detective who solves crimes with occasional help from her best friends, Bess and George and, her boyfriend Ned. She also has occasional help from her father Carson Drew who runs a private law practice. From finding stolen goods to missing persons and solving mysterious happenings, Nancy is a force of nature.
Until I discovered that Carolyn Keene is a pen name for a whole bunch of ghostwriters, I used
Carol
Mar 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Another enjoyable (if completely unbelievable) Nancy Drew book. I think that this one tops it for incredible situations, with Ned Nickerson kidnapper (the police almost completely inactive on this very serious crime), and all kinds of crazy inventions with electricity. I'm no science major, but the the science in this one is pretty farfetched. Still, great fun. New developments also with the trio and their boyfriends (lots of on-campus fun). The original books were written before women generally ...more
Sarah Bliss
Jul 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm giving this 3 stars for quality of writing, but I would give it 5 for the nostalgic joy it gave me. My friend found it in the lake cabin we were renting, and I was SO HAPPY. It took me right back to childhood summers with Mom's old books and whatever I could get my hands on at the public library. Loved it.

The plot itself was startlingly dated, relying heavily on the newest technologies of 1974. The language, too, was very much of that era, as were the gender roles. (I always thought of Nancy
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • The Secret of the Mansion
  • The Mystery on Cobbett's Island
  • Relentless (Skulls Renegade MC #4)
  • The Secret of the Old Mill (The Hardy Boys, #3)
  • The Christmas Spirits on Tradd Street  (Tradd Street, #6)
  • Savage Dragon (Earth Dragons #2)
  • The Golden Braid (Hagenheim, #6)
  • Bending The Universe
  • Water Dragon (The Bride Hunt, #2)
  • Demon Diary, Volume 02
  • Pall in the Family (A Family Fortune Mystery, #1)
  • The Fairest Beauty (Hagenheim, #3)
  • Revenge (Skulls Renegade MC, #3)
  • The Sun Dog
  • Granny Square Crochet for Beginners US Version
  • Lessons on Expulsion
  • The Mystery of the Emeralds (Trixie Belden #14)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward

Nancy Drew Mystery Stories (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #10)