Start by marking “The Message in the Hollow Oak (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Message in the Hollow Oak (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #12)

The Message in the Hollow Oak

(Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #12)

Also see: Alternate Cover Editions for this ISBN [ACE]
ACE #1

Nancy Drew tackles a mystery professional detectives failed to solve--finding a valuable centuries-old message in a hollow oak tree in Illinois.

The story is based on the original title of the same name first published in 1935. The plot is vastly different in this extensively revised and shortened version.
Published 1972 by Grosset and Dunlap (first published 1935)

Sheila
I give this a 3-star review, just because my daughter so enjoys being read these Nancy Drew stories. For me, the plots are SO unrealistic. Someone gets kidnapped in almost every single Nancy Drew book! Including this one! Two separate people were in fact kidnapped in this one. Yet both were found unharmed and saved by Nancy. And car accidents. Almost every book Nancy gets in a car accident. Including in this one. Yet she always walks away fine, with either no damage to the car, or just minor dam ...more
Annie
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew
This installment started off interesting - treasure supposedly hidden in a hollow tree. It's one of the first times Nancy flies out to solve a mystery and the airport scenes were amusing in terms of how simple it used to be to just hop on a plane. But things deteriorated quickly for me - again people are kidnapped - she flies all her friends out even though she was with other people which is annoying. Ned, Dave and Burt are just flat characters to me and Bess and George always seem to be falling ...more
Olivia
Mar 03, 2014 rated it liked it

"A group of professional detective challenge Nancy to tackle a mystery that they have failed to solve: find an invaluable message hidden by a missionary centuries ago in a hollow oak tree in Illinois.While searching the woods for the ancient tree, Nancy and her friends live with a group of young archaeologists who are excavating prehistoric Indian burial mounds on a nearby farm. A shadowy enemy stalks Nancy and harasses everyone at the dig. The young investigator pursues her dangerous adversary
Deanna
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Whether or not you know anything about the different versions of Nancy Drew books, the books printed after 1959 are revised versions from the original Nancy Drew books. Only two of the original Nancy Drew books were totally rewritten when they were revised. This book is one of them. The other is The Secret of Shadow Ranch. I recommend reading both versions as the reader gets a better idea of how the original was written and how the revised version is different.
Ann♥♪♪♪♪
Jul 06, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: waste-of-time
Revised edition (haven't read original). Grave robbing. Hated it - Nancy Drew and the other regular characters wouldn't do that. She and the others would have said it was wrong. I like archaeology such as exploring and searching places that aren't burial grounds. Desecrating graves is despicable as well as disrespectful. Forget this book if you want to read Nancy Drew - there are so many great Nancy Drew books you could read instead.
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very dark and mysterious Nancy Drew novel. This series is so much fun, because no two books are the same.
Milley
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it turns out i actually did read the original and i do remember it being a lot more exciting.
Whitney
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nancy-drew
Archeology project! At this point, some weeks after finishing, I forget the precise mystery. I only remember the awkward social situation Nancy endures amongst the students who are involved in this "dig" for Native American artifacts, skeletons, etc.

Here's the sitch: One of the students, whose name is "Art" is apparently a cool guy because he owns a motorcycle. He seems sweet on Nancy, and she enjoys his helpful offers to drive her to the closest town so she can make phone calls. But of course s
Allison
"The detective was of medium height. Although he was rugged looking, the man had a very kind face and Nancy thought his smile was enchanting. How different from many comic-strip detectives!"

"Ned and Dave followed, while Bess sat down on the ground, disconsolate.
'Oh, don't be silly!' George chided her cousin. 'It wouldn't hurt you to go without a meal.'
'You're a good one to talk,' Bess replied. 'You eat all you want and stay slim. I can't help it if I get hungry.'"
16HardyalK
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nancy drew is very intriguing and is entertaining to follow the mystery to solve with her and have the excitement of being a detective yourself. These books are for people of any age, you can never grow out of solving mysteries with Nancy Drew. The mystery genre is amazing to read and can be read by anyone who has a craving for mystery.
MysteryReaderLee
This one was cool when they had to dig up bones and other things like that. It was another great edition to the series.
Josiah
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good book! I think it was cool to see them dig up burial grounds and find treasure. I would recommend to all mystery and adventure lovers!!!
Judy
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every Nancy Drew mystery brings me back to grade school... Just waxing nostalgic last week. :).

One of the better Nancy Drews I've read because Ned Nickerson joined the adventure. But I do hope I also get to read the original story someday. I wonder why they changed it?
Danielle
Aug 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-to-v
Ruthie Jones
Jul 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read all the Nancy Drew books (and the Hardy Boys) when I was a child, but I will admit that I have read them all again as an adult (a few years ago). The stories are old fashioned, but that's why I like them so much.
Hannah
Dec 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-that-i-own
I read a new printing of this book. I was at a used bookstore one day and saw it with a different cover. I opened it up, to my surprise the only thing the same between the old and the new was the title. The older 1932 copy is a lot better, it's more exciting.
Robin_R
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Fun to re-read these childhood favorites!
Jerry
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Standard fare for this series...which isn't a bad thing.
Lauren Alise Schultz
Story_Girl
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Message in the Hollow Oak is a great Nancy Drew story, but not so much a mystery as an adventure.

Nancy is excited when a club made up of New York detectives invited her to solve a ‘challenge’ case that they tried to crack while on vacation but failed. To do so she will have to join a university archeological dig and hunt for an old oak tree that has legendarily got treasure hidden in it. Not only does she make new friends on the dig, but she is also joined by Bess, George, Ned, Burt and Dav
Stef
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
UGH. Impressively boring, even for a Nancy Drew story. It shouldn't take more than a day to read one of these books, let alone nearly a month, but I was never excited to pick it up once I put it down. Nancy is in Ohio (I think?) hanging out with a bunch of college students who're on an archaeology dig, scrounging up "ancient Indian" artifacts. She's looking for a treasure hidden in a hollow oak tree by following metal plates nailed to other oak trees, and of course a selfish baddie is scrambling ...more
Shela Muriel
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Linda Klinedinst
I dearly love this book....I love it when there is a Treasure to be found throughout a story. It sounds so very magical and so very interesting. This book was written and published in 1935. The Author is Carolyn Keene and it was published by Grosset and Dunlap.

I give this book 5/5 Stars.

I have read the First 12 Books now of Nancy Drew Mystery Series. I just got my 28th Book today in the mail from Amazon. I am slowly buying them.

This Series is a Good Clean fun Mystery Series and I am so in love
Liselotte
A fun Nancy Drew, but nothing really special. They are all unrealistic anyways, haha!
Certain outdated terms were used when talked about Native Americans which is slightly expected, but doesn't mean it's ever OK.
The archeology aspect was really interesting, just a shame it had to be so casual about actual humanbeings and their graves. A little bit more respect would've at least been nice, but again, it's a chidlren's book and an old one at that, so I'm not surprised, if you know what I mean.
Dylan
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nancy Drew and friends set out to solve an impossible-seeming mystery, one that is 300 years old. How can there still be clues to follow? Seems unrealistic, but that is explained by the fact that oak trees can live to be centuries old. As usual, this mystery is fraught with danger, and the crooks are determined to have the treasure - at any cost!

I don't remember reading this as a child, so I read this with fresh eyes. I can imagine that as a child I would have been spooked by the idea of an old
Emily
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
I saw this book at the place I was staying when I recently visited Washington. I decided to read it for nostalgic reasons. I used to love these books as a kid! I still think that younger readers would love it and I'll probably read more of the series when I have kids. There's unrealistic drama on every page which I remember eating up as a child! But as an adult, it made me shake my head and smile. I enjoyed the nostalgia of reading this book but I feel like compared to other Nancy Drew books I'v ...more
DeAnna
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. It is full of action and suspense. Something that I like that the author did was that at the end of every chapter she added a cliffhanger so that you wil want to keep reading the book. Something that I thing the author could do better in this book is not bring up the same topic all the time. Becides that, great book!
Yoshua David
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
There were a lot of printing errors in my copy, making reading difficult at times.

I enjoy history & archaeology, discovering old things that connect yesterday with today, so that part got me going.

The bad guy activities seemed more violent, this is gradually increasing each book it seems, not sure the second set of books and on are good for kids.
Simran
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt that the way that the way that the author repeated the same mystery and same problem throughout all the books. I always seemed to predict what happens next because of the fact it is so repetitive and the same problem is repeated again and again. But I liked the twist of 2 people being kidnapped and the way nancy found the clues in the book
Erika
Another outstanding Nancy Drew book! 5/5 stars!

I read the original text. I must say, it was so interesting!!! The language, clothing, scenery--everything was so old fashioned and fun to read about! It was a delightful book to read, and I would recommend it to anyone! Sweet story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
2017 Reading Chal...: The Message in the Hollow Oak 1 10 Jan 16, 2015 02:23PM

• The Secret of the Caves (The Hardy Boys, #7)
  • The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • The Charmed Bracelet (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective Graphic Novels, #7)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Adventure in the Country (Bobbsey Twins, #2)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str

Nancy Drew Mystery Stories (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #10)
“Nancy, every place you go, it seems as if mysteries just pile up one after another.” 73 likes