Start by marking “Penguin Plays: The Rules of the Game, The Life I Gave You, Lazarus” as Want to Read:
Penguin Plays: The Rules of the Game, The Life I Gave You, Lazarus

Penguin Plays: The Rules of the Game, The Life I Gave You, Lazarus

Three plays by the Italian Master.
Published 1959 by Penguin (first published 1919)

To ask other readers questions about Penguin Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penguin Plays

I
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was such an interesting exploration of death. I was particularly absorbed by 'The Life I Gave You' and Pirandello's description of grief. It's striking how something which touches all of us is at the same time something we all respond to so differently and I think Pirandello examines this in a really captivating manner.
Mel
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed "The Rules of the Game" but couldn't connect with the other two, which are plenty of psychological and philosophical drama.
Simon Mcleish
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here, here, and here in January 2002.

Henry IV

Six Characters in Search of an Author, Pirandello's breakthrough play, remains his best known, despite efforts (such as in the introduction to this collection) to declare Henry IV his masterpiece. It certainly encapsulates his interest as a dramatist (basically, in the different ways in which a part can be played) very cleverly, as well as being an effective drama in its own right.

In the first scene we see the first tak
Patrick Neylan
Mar 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Pirandello's reputation nowadays rests on Six Characters in Search of an Author, so it's interesting to look at his other work.

As with Six Characters, the style - radical in its day - is now rather dated. Six Characters remains interesting because of its startlingly original premise. These plays are more rooted in the society and mores of early 20th Century Italy, and are frankly less interesting.

Rules of the Game is a fascinating and occasionally fun tale of an easy-going husband getting his
Conor
Mar 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-plays
Felt like a good introduction to his work, though I don't know that it contained any of his Nobel Prize grade stuff. Very powerful and bitter.
Clark
Pramod
Mar 05, 2019
Chloé
May 24, 2019
Luigi Pirandello; Agrigento 28 June 1867 – Rome 10 December 1936) was an Italian dramatist, novelist, poet, and short story writer whose greatest contributions were his plays.
He was awarded the 1934 Nobel Prize in Literature for "his almost magical power to turn psychological analysis into good theatre.
Pirandello's works include novels, hundreds of short stories, and about 40 plays, some of whic