Start by marking “The Cat Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Troubleshooting Tips, and Advice on Lifetime Maintenance (Owner's and Instruction Manual)” as Want to Read:

(Owner’s/Instruction Manuals #3)

Scratch marks on your furniture. Dead mice on your doorstep. Stray hairs all over your clothes and pillowcases. It's enough to make you cry out, "Why doesn t my cat come with an owner s manual?!?" And now -- thank God! -- she does. Through step-by-step instructions and helpful schematic diagrams, The Cat Owner's Manual explores hundreds of frequently asked questions: Which ...more
Published September 2nd 2004 by Quirk Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Owner's Manual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Owner's Manual

Dewey by Vicki MyronHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperInto the Wild by Erin HunterOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Cat Lovers List
931 books — 438 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollA Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowen
Great Cat Books
1,448 books — 849 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Cat Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Troubleshooting Tips, and Advice on Lifetime Maintenance (Owner's and Instruction Manual)
Trish
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this as a birthday present. My best friend thought it was utterly appropriate now that I'm a cat mum. It's not like we never have had cats in the family before but it was still informative and, most importantly, quite amusing.

The book is written like a manual, much like the ones you get for computers. Thus, the author talks about your cat as a "model" as well as its software and hardware.

There are 9 chapters overall:

1. Overview of brands and models
This chapter mostly talks about the different types of cat like short hair, long hair ahardware.
There
Elizabeth
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
From the The Humble Book Bundle: Pawsitively Clawsome Cats.

Yes, I got a bundle about cats because now I'm a newbie cat owner.
Julie
Jan 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Highly informative. Cute, yet smartly, written as a IT manual for Cats. Best line is the ending. Last of the troubleshooting guide:

Malfunction: Cat displays complete lack of autonomous function, refuses to clean itself, and displays subpar intelligence.

Cause and Solution: Consult your veterinarian. You may have accidentally acquired a dog.

Too funny, and I'm bi-partisan.
Kevin Hogan
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's a basic instruction manual for cats. Written in the style of a (well-written) tech manual. Illustrations are clear. Cross-referencing is good. Instructions are excellent. File under: reference.
Bark
Nov 25, 2009 rated it liked it
I've been reading this off and on for a week or so and though it has good basic information about raising cats, the different breeds, etc. the humor of it escapes me. It's written in the tone of a user manual and every now and again the author will write something such as referring to training as a "software downloads" or "add-on" which always managed to throw me right out of the book and break my concentration which I don't was the intent of the author.

Despite the overly cutesy manu
IrgendwasmitFaber
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
comprehensive, time saving way of telling interested people and cat guardians most of the important stuff about daily life with one or more cats. Another positive aspect of the book is the betweeen the lines hidden humor, like it's done in the title. What I found most glorious was that all of the esoteric junk you'll find so often in cat literature is compeletely missing here. No assumptions on how cats moods depend on star constellations and electroesoteric yoga-ish cat energies. I hope this of ...more
Daan
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: catlovers
Shelves: humor, learning
Did you ever buy a cat and asked yourself what all those things on it are for? And why it is making those weird sounds? Is it broken already?
Then you need this Manual, a simple manual for Cat Owners that make sure their Cat Unit is kept happy and healthy. And that they hopefully understand what it is doing. Written by Cat Technicians (Vets) it will help you keep your cat a happy unit.

Joking aside, it is a basic book how to keep your cat healthy. Done in the way of a manual as if you just bough
Ana Filipa
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Very funny approach about having a pet, in this case a cat. It gives you the essential information in a plain language with wit. I read it in a few times, because it just keeps you interested in knowing what comes next and that isn't very common in these type of books.
Rachel
This is quite an informative, quirky book which mimics the style of an electronics instruction manual. The information is very US-centric so it doesn't always apply to British or other international readers, but most of the info is applicable to all cats in some way.
Hakan
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice, concise and useful book for learning about and understanding cats. Especially for someone like me who knows almost nothing about cats and plans to get one. Though I should admit that the sense of humour used throughout the book somewhat irked me.
Catalina Moncada
Very informative and pleasant to read.

I liked it. As at first time cat owner I found it useful and easy to read. I also liked the graphics
Alex Villepique
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Funny approach to very useful informations. I love it and still refer to it when I deal with my Schroedy!
Ruthford D. Benge, Jr.
Review

This manual has much practical advice, excellent illustrations, and a unique point of view that make it useful, entertaining, and definitely worth reading.
Lauryn
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very funny but not a good source for actually learning about how to take care of cats. Very basic info
Charlie
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
It's both adorable and a great basic guide to cat care. I recommend it, especially for new cat owners.
Incognita
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it
You don't really "finish" a book like this, but it's a great little reference book for when you've got random questions about felines, or when your little furry unit starts malfunctioning.
Phoebe Cook
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Finished in an hour or so. I have learned so much from this little book! It tells you a lot on understanding the feline.
Molly
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
accurate, succinct information presented in a fun format.
Henrietta (H
I'm 69 and have lived with cats all my life, except about 6 yrs starting when I married and ending when daughters were old enough to reinforce my position. If I had followed the recommendations I would not have chosen any of the cats I have had as an adult, especially Mr Max, who was one of the most loyal and loving. I got Mr Max from a shelter. He was cowering in the back of his cage. The card on the cage listed his name as the generic "grey cat" which he was not, he was tiger striped. The spac ...more
Noran Miss Pumkin
Mar 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: older children and adult with a sense of humor
Recommended to Noran by: me
Shelves: cats
i adore this book. it is funny and educational at the same time! it is a manual for your cat, written like your cat was a car, or a washing machine. the diagrams are neato too. i have read many other cat books, but learned several new things from this manual. if i ever gave anyone a pet, i would give them this book too! i got the baby one, when i had my virginia--it was a hoot! lol! great for the geek crowd.
Nina
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Picked this book up as part of the Pawsitively Clawsome Humble Bundle. It is written as a technical manual, and has everything you need to know about cats. While a little overbearing at times, probably due to the author being a veterinarian, it's factually correct. It can be read by existing cat owners and provide a source of entertainment in addition to information. It's also good to introduce first time cat owners to living with a feline companion, especially if they like this style of book.
Ibnu Triyono
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy reading about how to take care of cat (if you have one) or how to understand them.
Images are cartoony they makes reading easy, but sometime I found that realistic picture would be more helpful, especially when showing how to handle certain situasion.

Josephine
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, paper-copy
I never managed to get through any cat manual type books before, but this one was great because it was funny and informative.
Helen
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, humor, medical, cats
I have read lots of cat manuals, and this is one of the best! Although it has a humorous approach, treating the cat as a machine, the book includes a tremendous amount of useful information on cat care! Recommended to all who are interested in cats!
Pam
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, paper, non-fiction, funny
Love the tech manual style and humor!
Kasia Sienkiewicz
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny and nicely done book about cats and their behaviours.
Liz
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is another book I gave my father for Christmas last year and stole- er, borrowed- a short while ago. My dad loves his cat, Mr Sooky, and given his perchance for quirky, non-fiction books, I thought this would give him a chuckle.

This book treats your feline as a cat-human-vacuum compound. Part robot, part bored cat who looks at you in contempt, this book will teach you all you need to know and them some on how to care for your pet.

While this humor is the driving point for this book, it d
Mariana
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Is funny to read. By explaining everything in manual away is very cute and at least for me very unique. For owner's manual is very complete covering almost all the aspects an owner should know. The ilustrations are very funny but some of them are a little impossible to follow. No cat would ever allow to be put in such manner for the owner do what is need to be done. Some of the information in the book is not accurate and should be corrected in the future.
meg
May 19, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: new cat owners or cat enthusiasts
of all the cat owning books out there, this may have not been the one with the most information, but it was the most user friendly. i am such a sucker for the cutesy operating manual asthetic. i ate it right up, and it was helpful both in the original bringing home a nutty kitten as well as introducing said fluffernutter to another cat. you can bet i will be purchasing the baby owner's manual the moment i get knocked up! :)
Wee
Nov 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is a super cool cat-book.

There's nothing in here that experienced cat-lovers don't already know, but it's the CONCEPT and LAYOUT that is super.

You see, it's deliberately made to look like a blue-print, and the cat is a machine, and all references and pictures are made to look like pages from an instruction manual!!!

Super cute!
Cat Lovers: Cats and Cat books ,or just memes :3 2 6 Dec 23, 2016 08:12PM

• The Devious Book for Cats: A Parody
  • Is It Safe to Kiss My Cat?: And Other Questions You Were Afraid to Ask
  • Cat
  • The Diary of a Killer Cat (The Killer Cat, #1)
  • 100 Cats Who Changed Civilization: History's Most Influential Felines
  • Cat Getting Out of a Bag and Other Observations
  • All I Need to Know I Learned from My Cat
  • Juggling for the Complete Klutz
  • I Can Has Cheezburger?: A LOLcat Colleckshun
  • I Am Maru
  • Cat vs Human
  • The Cats' House
  • Homework for Grown-Ups: Everything You Learned at School and Promptly Forgot.
  • How to Traumatize Your Children: 7 Proven Methods to Help You Screw Up Your Kids Deliberately and with Skill
  • You Are a Cat!
  • The Cat Whisperer: The Secret of How to Talk to Your Cat
  • Shojo Fashion Manga Art School: How to Draw Cool Looks and Characters
  • Cats and Dogs: Mutts II

Owner’s/Instruction Manuals (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips & Advice on First-Year Maintenance
  • The Dog Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Troubleshooting Tips, and Advice on Lifetime Maintenance
  • The Home Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Troubleshooting Tips, and Advice on System Maintenance
  • The Groom's Instruction Manual: How to Survive and Possibly Even Enjoy the Most Bewildering Ceremony Known to Man
  • The Pregnancy Instruction Manual: Essential Information, Troubleshooting Tips, and Advice for Parents-to-Be (Owner's and Instruction Manual)
  • The Bride's Instruction Manual: How to Survive and Possibly Even Enjoy the Biggest Day of Your Life
  • The Sex Instruction Manual: Essential Information and Techniques for Optimum Performance (Owner's and Instruction Manual)
  • The Newlywed's Instruction Manual: Essential Information, Troubleshooting Tips, and Advice for the First Year of Marriage
  • The Teen Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Troubleshooting Tips, and Advice on Adolescent Maintenance (Owner's and Instruction Manual)
  • The Toddler Owner's Manual: Perating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips, and Advice on System Maintenance
“Cats are solitary hunters with only the vaguest concept of hierarchy and little desire to “please” anyone but themselves” 0 likes