Start by marking “The Surgeon's Lady (Channel Fleet, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Surgeon's Lady (Channel Fleet, #2)

The Surgeon's Lady (Channel Fleet #2)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  787 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
As a surgeon in the Royal Navy, Lieutenant Philemon Brittle has proved his bravery countless times. But he's never known the thrill that comes with falling in love. Until he meets the beautiful Lady Laura Taunton, who has turned to nursing the wounded as solace from her unhappy past.Philemon will need to draw upon every bit of his strength and determination to convince the ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 277 pages
Published June 1st 2009 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Surgeon's Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Surgeon's Lady

Dina
The 2nd book in the Channel Fleet series, The Surgeon's Lady starts a few months after Marrying The Captain ended. The Napoleonic Wars are still playing havoc with everyone's lives, and that's the setting of this book. You don't have to read the 1st book to understand the 2nd, but you might want to do that if you don't like spoilers because some events that took place at the end of the previous book are mentioned in this one.

Lady Laura Taunton is one of Lord Ratliffe's illegitimate daughters - t
Rane
May 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Carla Kelly has a way of showing not glossing over like some other regency romances the hardships of war. But not the war it’s self, but the effect it has one the lives of people. How it effects the families and love ones of soldiers- off to fight battles they don’t know their be able to come home from. In Marrying The Captain Your shown the effects war has on families, and the love that soldiers live on, when their hearts are back home and their minds having to be in the heat of battle. With T ...more
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have such an affection for this novel. It was the first Carla Kelly I read and I was entirely caught up by the writing and the story. I've re-read it a couple of times and it holds up. The romance is lovely and the story is interesting and well paced. Every time I read it I'm taken away by it again, even though I know precisely what's going to happen.

Laura, sister to Nana from the first book in the series [seriously, read the first book, it's also so lovely and sets up the backstory which is i
Linda
Three months after MARRYING THE CAPTAIN ended, Lady Laura Thornton visited her younger half-sister Nana. They didn't know of their relationship until recently and Laura is unsure of what is going to happen when they meet for the first time. She need not have worried because she is welcomed with love.

A widow, she was forced into a loveless marriage to Sir John Taunton, a man 30 years her senior. All for the sake of producing an heir; a child that was never born. She is lonely now. She wonders wh
Verity
Jun 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kelly-carla

@ 18 y/o, Laura’s father sold her to the highest bidder to pay off his creditors. As a result, Laura’s body & self-worth have taken a lotta abuse. She had nowhere to go & noone to turn to. Her hubby (30 yrs her senior) treated her as if she served only 1 purpose, as a vessel, to crank out his heir, ‘cuz his 1st late wife had failed. Then he suffered from apoplexy & turned into an invalid. Laura got the thankless job of being his caretaker for 3 years. Now that he’s expired, she’s fin
Dana
Sep 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I think Carla Kelly may be my favorite historical romance novelist who is still writing. I love that her heroes are just average men who actually have occupations other than sitting around and pretending to be rakes. I really liked the hospital setting in The Surgeon’s Lady. The romance was also sweet without being sappy. I can’t wait for the next book in this series.
SheLove2Read
Jun 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really liked this story which is the sequel to Marrying the Captain. Carla Kelly is a wonderful author in that she draws you into the story in such a way that you don't want to put the book down. Philemon Brittle is a terrific romantic hero and I was glad to see him be "common"....i.e. not a Lord or Admiral or other titled gentleman. There's much to be said for the everyday man.
Luli
You can find this review in English below.

3.5 stars.
Menos al que casi siempre puedo confiar en la señora Kelly para salir de una mala racha de lecturas.

Tengo debilidad por los héroes que dibuja esta autora; aunque podrían caer en la definición de beta-héroes, yo prefiero pensar en ellos como hombres sensatos, prudentes, respetuosos, inteligentemente paritarios y entregados a sus mujeres. *swoon*

En este caso, Philemon Brittle es todo lo anterior y más. Un hombre entregado a su oficio y que ha sac
kris
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
I did not realize when I picked this one up that it was a sequel to Marrying The Captain. OOPS.

Lady Laura Taunton has many hats: she's the base-born daughter of Viscount Ratcliffe; she's happily widowed after a pretty shitty marriage; and she's plagued by guilt! Lt. Philemon Brittle has one hat: sexy surgeon extraordinaire! SOUNDS LIKE A RECIPE FOR FEELINGS SOUP.

1. Here's the thing, though: Philemon is just...too much. He's SO perfect that his only flaw appears to be the fact that he's working A
Kristi
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thank goodness medical science as come a long way! Good lord I was repelled and riveted by what surgeons had to do with people then. I felt it was well done without being too graphic.

Loved both Philemon & Laura. He's a dedicated, hard-working surgeon and she's a Lady trying to figure out what to do with herself (and recover) after her jerk husband dies. I was rooting for her.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 02, 2015 11:11AM
  • The Sergeant's Lady (The Arringtons and Wright-Gordons, #2)
  • Lord Braybrook's Penniless Bride
  • Beauty and the Scarred Hero
  • Miss Jacobson's Journey (Rothschild Trilogy, #1)
  • In for a Penny
  • After the Kiss
  • His Cavalry Lady
  • An Improper Aristocrat
  • The Secret Pearl
  • The Accidental Wedding (Devil Riders, #4)
  • Seduced by the Scoundrel (Mills & Boon Historical) (Danger & Desire, Book 2)
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • A Lady Awakened (Blackshear Family, #1)
  • A Loyal Companion
  • Indiscreet
  • McAlistair's Fortune  (Providence, #3)
  • Conor's Way
  • September Moon

Although Carla Kelly is well known among her readers as a writer of Regency romance, her main interest (and first writing success) is Western American fiction—more specifically, writing about America's Indian Wars. Although she had sold some of her work before, it was not until Carla began work in the National P
More about Carla Kelly...

Channel Fleet (3 books)
  • Marrying The Captain (Channel Fleet, #1)
  • Marrying The Royal Marine (Channel Fleet, #3)