Start by marking “Torch of Freedom (Honorverse: Wages of Sin, #2)” as Want to Read:
Torch of Freedom (Honorverse: Wages of Sin, #2)

Torch of Freedom (Honorverse: Wages of Sin #2)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  3,740 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
The Direct Sequel to Crown of Slaves. Two New York Times Best-Selling Authors Again Join Forces in a New Novel in David Weber’s Honor Harrington Universe.

Published November 17th 2009 by Baen (first published November 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Torch of Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Torch of Freedom

heidi
Mar 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Ok, you need to understand that I would probably buy collectible trading cards in this franchise. It's a spinoff of the Honor Harrington series, now with Eric Flint flavor.

When a plotty multi-character author works with another plotty multi-character author, and neither of them is unduly repressed by an editor, you get a book 826 pages long with a cast of thousands. It's kind of epic, by which we mean "Like Tom Clancy was writing space opera".

That's not to say it was bed. There were some actuall
Kevin Connery
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Honorverse: Torch 2. Drier and drier, with a cast of zillions--only a few of whom were interesting. Had to force myself to finish, as I DID want to know what happened, but it was more of a "had to" than "want to" feeling.
Kathy Davie
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
First read February 7, 2011.

Fascinating reading as ever in this installment in the military sci-fi sub-series, Torch which is part of the Honor Harrington Universe series, which is a set of side stories revolving around the Honor Harrington series.

Essentially, Torch of Freedom fills in all the background on what's been happening in At All Costs (HH, 11) during a whole lotta Battles.

Cathy and Anton Zilwicki are at the tail end of their visit to attend Queen Berry's coronation (Anton's adopted dau
Calisto
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: space-opera
Now, I do like Weber more often than not and have really enjoyed the Harrington Universe. I also enjoyed the first Torch book. I love space operas. They hit all my buttons and when they have kickass females that just takes it up a notch.

The thing that I really love about space operas is the epic feel of the story. How all the side stories somehow come together and make sense, but oh holy hell, this book needed an editor that was not so indulgent. Cast of thousands? Yeah, pretty much. That wasn't
Guy
Dec 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good, but not up to Weber's usual standard. The main problem is that this book is out of order: it describes events that happened before the most recent books in the main Honorverse sequence, and makes cross-references with minimal explanation to other events described in other books. So you either have to have a superb memory, or you are likely to become a little confused at times. In addition there are some editing errors, a couple of plausibility fails, and the quality of the writing is somet ...more
Barb in Maryland
Dec 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-f
Well, what a pleasant surprise.I have to give all the credit to Eric Flint, who managed to inject humor into the typical Weber space opera. This was very much a character driven story and I have always been fond of Victor Cachat and Anton Zilwicki. There were the usual Weber weapons info dumps but they didn't overwhelm the action like they sometimes do.
The action of the book overlaps At All Costs and Storm from the Shadows. So we now have all the pieces in place for the big action of the forthc
Kat
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm running out of ways to say I enjoy this series. So I'll just say it.
Steven Lee
I have read all the Honorverse books prior to this one.

This is a complicated book with many different characters and perspective operated in coordination and against one another. This book, more than any of the others, is focused on the Mesa conspiracy. Mesa, the central antagonist populated by neo-eugenicists and genetic slavers, is fleshed out for the first time. A number of characters are Mesans, and pleasingly some they are actual human beings and not just moustache-twirling villains.

Struc
Robert Scott
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
All about the Detweiler plan to manipulate Mesa, Manpower, the Audubon Ballroom and the Kingdom of Torch in their grand plan to take over the entire human race in order to make all of them better by genetic improvements and in the process diminish the powers of the Republic of Haven, the Kingdom of Manticore and the planet Beowulf. Central characters are: Queen Berry Zilwiki of Torch, Anton Zilwiki her adoptive father and Manticoran spy, Victor Cachat RoH spy, Jeremy X Torch's secretary of War, ...more
Scott Holstad
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Torch of Freedom! Not five star loved, but definitely four star loved. This is the second book in the Honorverse: Wages of Sin series that follows the ex-slave planet of Torch, led by newly crowned Queen Berry Zilwicki and her Manticorian spook father Anton and his Havenite spook colleague and friend, Victor Cachat, as they travel to the evil slaver planet of Mesa to snoop around and try to find out what Mesa is up to. They find out a lot, find a high-level scientist defector who is read ...more
John
Feb 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
No stars. A novelette's worth of plot in 600+ pages, padded out with chapter after chapter of people sitting around talking about past events, delivering historical infodumps, stretching out conversations or analyzing events at tremendous length. There is: one battle (p. 500 or so), one spy mission, one assassination attempt against Good Guys and one against Villains, and that is it! The rest is filler--particularly for readers of previous Honorverse episodes, who won't need long introductions t ...more
Leather
Jan 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Maybe the worst book ever of the Harrington universe. Unbelievably bad. Two thousands points of vue, two billions characters, a crazy mindless dribble which never stops.
Art (Posting elsewhere as Whistler Reads)
In my opinion, the conversational style, as well as the inclusions from other threads, help to keep the reader of ALL OF THE HONORVERSE on the same page. Can you imagine the "complaints"(to say nothing of the page count) if all the threads were to appear within the same novel?
Alex
"Torch of Freedom" is book #2 of the Wages of Sin series, in the Honorverse. It is a story from a different point of view, more or less concurrent with At All Costs, and Storm from the Shadows. You should probably read those two books before you read this one.

The Story: Torch is the planet where genetic slaves have found their home of refuge. The evil bioengineers of the planet Mesa have been creating them for centuries but now they have broken free and established a home. While there, they dis
Jim
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it

As the slavemasters of Mesa plot against the Star Empire of Manticore and the newly liberated slave planet of Torch, Anton Zilwicki and the notorious Havenite secret agent Victor Cachat set off on a dangerous mission to uncover the truth concerning a wave of mysterious assassinations that have been launched against Manticore and Torch. Most people are sure that the Republic of Haven is behind the assassinations, but Zilwicki and Cachat suspect others of being the guilty party.

Queen Berry of T

Lizabeth Tucker
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The freedom and independence that the genetic slaves of Torch acquired through a mixture of terrorism and revolt has become a sore point to many throughout the universe. Now Queen Berry and her allies must prepare for the worst. Complicating their defense options, Manticore and Haven are on the outs again, a new wormhole needs investigating, and Berry needs a consort.

This time out we have various groups that are not happy that Torch and the former genetically enhanced slaves have gained freedom,
***Dave Hill
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: text
Another fun, if scattered, entry into Weber's Honorverse, focusing on the shenanigans of Manpower, rogue Solarian leaders, an unlikely alliance of spies, a space roller coaster, and the newly free genetic slave planet of Torch. It's all enjoyable but not spectacular, and even the fleet battle at the end -- one of Weber's standard strengths -- doesn't have the zing it should.

Weber and Flint do a workmanlike job on this sequel to "Crown of Slaves," and the result is less confusing (or, perhaps, l
Lindsey
3.5 stars, really. It was clearly written as a connecting story between other Honorverse novels and suffers for it. The dates at the beginning of sections were a nice touch to keep the story straight but it would have been better to have chapter headers that reminded the reader exactly which location and affiliation we were dealing with for each scene change.

Once I got most of the characters straight, the book picked up. However, the most compelling characters had the least compelling story, nam
Clay
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kinda disappointing overall, but interesting to get some of the "side" story details from the main Honor Harrington series. Plenty of scenes with folks sitting around discussing plans for things that will happen, might happen, or just to chat. Not quite a "zillion" characters (and many of these had been introduced before) and I had no trouble keeping them straight. However one plot thread that was woven throughout didn't have any connection to the main plots until about 2/3 of the way through, w ...more
Fabien
Dec 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I liked it, but having read all the Hornblower novel I'm somewhat biased: the fact that I was so captivated come mostly from my interest in Weber’s patiently-built honorverse rather than from any particular merits of that book.

It has many flaws. Some that are invariably associated with Weber (like the fact that most of the story progress through discussion between some of the characters. Well, if you have a problem with that, you are most unlikely to be a Weber fan). Some flaws that I blame flin
William Bentrim
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: wishlist

Torch of Freedom by David Weber

I just reread my reviews of Rising Thunder and Storm From the Shadows sadly I am going to cut and paste and use some of the same words here. I loved the initial Honor Harrington books. This another book from another perspective and not much different, perspective on the Mesa Manticore conflict.

This book repeats the characterization of the entrenched bureaucratic morass of the Solarian League. This book also has the Manticore leaders finally realizing or at least su
John Christensen
Jan 07, 2010 rated it liked it
This novel represents the second collaboration by these authors within the Harrington universe. And things are getting much, much worse for the good guys - the conflict that Weber has been setting up over the past three novels is only getting closer. As before, this is a spy novel - the main characters are spies and intrigue pays a large role. The characters themselves are interesting, and certainly the events going forward are very interesting to someone who has been reading this series from th ...more
Annette
Feb 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I did not enjoy this one quite as much as the first in the spin-off series, Crown of Slaves. This may be primarily because it had been 7 months or so since I read anything in this 'verse, and it is so incredibly complex and contains so many darned characters that I found it very hard to catch up - the first couple hundred pages I was really struggling to remember who was who and what was what.
Still, it was perfectly decent. The sub-plot concerning the clan that inhabited the defunct amusement p
Mike
Apr 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Space Opera: you either like it or you don't.

This is the mumblety-mumbletyth book in a series that included David Weber's original, mainline "Honor Harrington" series as well as a whole host of ancillary stories set in the same universe.

There's much more cognitive activity in these books than say a classic like E.E. "Doc" Smith's "Skylark of Space" or the Lensman series. Tere are also more plot details, side plots, etc. Each book is 2+ times the length of novels written back in and before the Go
Colleen
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-humor
Eric Flint is fantastic. You can tell his influence at work in the Torch series: romances seem like real human relationships with noncreepy emotions and actions. When you're introduced to a slew of new characters, it's because they are all integral to the plot, not because Weber couldn't find another way to convey what was going on over in THIS corner of the galaxy. And this wouldn't be the Honorverse without a section devoted to 'Missile Math with David Weber' but Flint seems to ensure that it ...more
Jimmy
Sep 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: pulp-sci-fi
The crossover with other books in the series is annoying as hell.
I hate reading the same chapter in 2-3 different books

At least this book has engaging characters and an interesting enough story to feel interesting. We know there are other things happening in teh Honourverse but this book is about a clearly defined part of that verse and we get drawn into what happens in that little part of it.

That's probably why the repeat chapters annoyed me so much the jarred me out of the verse.

Anyway, Good b
Ray
Oct 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was kind of a necessary read after reading the latest Honorverse book "At All Costs" Which was simply epic! I also think it was good idea to write about some of the subplots in "At All Costs". My one reservation and fear is the endless pages of character description and build up. I think you could have removed half the pages and you would still be quite familiar with the character.
BUT the story is damn good and I'm loving the plot and planning from the characters that lead up to the events
Kristen
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This story lays the groundwork, very surreptitiously for what will become the major story line in Honorverse. Nevertheless it is a much more whimsical book than most in the sprawling universe and to some degree one of the lighter reads.
It also holds a few of the best quotes on politics, the nature of slavery and the nature of polite apathy I have come across so far in Weber's works and for that alone I warmly recommend reading it.
But most importantly this is a Cachat story with all his usual imp
Bill
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're reading the Honorverse in chronological order (stories, novellas, novels), Torch is #37 (based on several time lines from Weber's web site) but, this being my second time through the Honorverse, I'd read it before Storm from the Shadows. It is the sequel to Crown of Slaves and overlaps the time frame of At All Costs. At this point in the Honorverse, Weber has three threads going; Torch, Talbott, and Manticore/Haven and they are collapsing toward one another.
Plenty of spy-vs-spy and mil
John
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While its predecessor was, in my opinion, the worst of all 23 Honorverse books I've read so far, this one was much better, yet still only 'middling'. Enjoyed the action that took place on Mesa (probably the first Mesa-based plotline in the series I fully liked) -- in fact, the best subplot in the edition. Still a little juvenile in places (almost certain Flint's contribution as Weber's work has very little to none of that) and the things I disliked most about 'Crown" thankfully were not in play ...more
  • When the Tide Rises (Lt. Leary, #6)
  • Audacious (Kris Longknife, #5)
  • The Tuloriad (Posleen War: Sidestories, #3)
  • Pandora's Legions
  • Carnifex
  • The Tide of Victory (Belisarius, #5)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber...

Honorverse: Wages of Sin (3 books)
  • Crown of Slaves (Honorverse: Wages of Sin, #1)
  • Cauldron of Ghosts (Honorverse: Wages of Sin, #3)

“Victor smiled politely in return, the way someone smiles when they're thanked for having done a minor favor in times past. Held open a door in the rain, lent someone a small amount of money, butchered an ex-lover, that sort of thing.” 0 likes