Start by marking “Sleeping Beauty” as Want to Read:

Sleeping Beauty

Sleeping Beauty's enchanted slumber has captivated readers' hearts for centuries. Now brought luminously to life by K. Y. Craft's lavish paintings, this new edition of a timeless favorite is sure to enchant readers both young and old. Fairy tale lovers have been eagerly awaiting Craft's next magical romance since the release of her Cinderella. With illustrations inspired b ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Sleeping Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleeping Beauty

Set
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a beautifully illustrated book, absolutely stunning. The retelling is simple and enchanting. I love fairies tales and Sleeping Beauty is one of my favorite.
Ann
Oct 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ann by: Chandra!! Thanks!!!
Simply beautiful!

The illustrations in this retelling are exquisite and almost like delicate portraits from a bygone era. (the illustration of the king carrying Aurora is very touching!) There are also gorgeous details (both in wording and illustration - the falcon, the dog, the rose - oh, and the Prince's horse is beautiful!) K. Y. Craft made a very wise decision, I think, by matching such intricate illustrations with a fairly high-level of vocabulary. The tale will still register with younger
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Good book, but I didn't really like it as a child.
Kelly
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Gorgeously illustrated! As a fan of fairy tales, I found these illustrations to be some of the most beautiful I have seen. They are rich in color and the details are exquisite. Kinuko Craft also managed to include a German Shepherd in some of her artwork, which as a dog lover I found rather endearing.
Ekaterina
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fairytales
The illustrations were just gorgeous! The story was very simple, which is fitting for a children's book. The best thing about this book were the illustrations. I could just stare at them for hours just to soak up all the details and colors.
Roslyn
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fine version. Lovely pictures.
Amalie
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Sleeping Beauty may not be one of my favourite fairy tales nevertheless I thoroughly enjoyed this version and especially the absolutely beautiful illustrations. Each illustration in this book is a painting.

The narration is excellent too. It is faithful to Charles Perrault's Sleeping Beauty.
Tori Sato
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've always loved the traditional Sleeping Beauty tale and I enjoyed reading it again as an adult. However, it seems to make more sense as a child because now reading it there are a lot of weird elements that are only explained by coincidence or not thoroughly explained.
Either way I still love the story and would recommend it to anyone! Plus the illustrations are beautiful and unique and really give it a renaissance feel.
Roxanne
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I was sixteen when I received this book. And here, in 2015, am still looking back and reading it. Kinuko Craft brings the tale to life and the writing is wonderful. Will be very curious to see her rendition of "Beauty and the Beast" coming in 2016.
Miriam
Jun 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, fairy-tale
Beautifully illustrated but slightly bloodless.
Beverly
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous, sumptuous, illustrations and a lovely retelling.
Abigail
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fairy-Tale Lovers / Admirers of Kinuko Craft
Having explored the world of Greek mythology in Cupid and Psyche , Pegasus , and King Midas and the Golden Touch , the marvelously talented Kinuko Craft has more recently turned her attention to the world of classic European fairy-tales, among them The Adventures of Tom Thumb and Cinderella . In this most recent picture book, she offers a gorgeous version of the famous tale of Sleeping Beauty, with the text arranged by her husband, Mahlon F. Craft.

Although the tale of the sleeping beauty h
Luisa Knight
Beautifully exquisite portraits and a story that reads just like a classic novel. A great version for older children who will appreciate its richness.

Ages: 6 - 10

Cleanliness: the first illustration shows a woman in a very revealing/see-through dress - you can see her breasts.

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downlo
Luvy Webb
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This classic fairytale of Sleeping Beauty has a twist to it. The characters are all animals. The main characters are bunnies. The same story, queen wants to have a baby and one day is granted one wish. The king and queen have a baby and celebrate the joyous occasion by inviting all the kingdom and seven fairies. One fairy is not invited, who ends up placing a curse on the young princess. The king and queen are saddened but one of the good fairies saves the celebration by changing the curse. Read ...more
Noel Gaines
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The opulence of the story is felt so strongly throughout the book. It amazes me how dream like the artwork is. A favorite among Illustrators.

Amber Heath
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a traditional literature book for children in grades K-4. One unique feature of this book is the beautiful illustrations that look as if they belong in a meseum instead of a children's story.
Taylor Parker
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Genre: Traditional
Grade: k-3

Tells the traditional story of Sleeping beauty only this book has something special..its illustrations. Kinuko Craft does an amazing job creating the pictures for this tale. The pictures are not very bright, but they are full of fine details.
Mary
Beautiful! Exquisitely detailed illustrations. Kinuko Y. Craft illustrates while her husband, Mahlon F. Craft retells a classic fairytale that captures the imagination. Sleeping Beauty has always been one of my favorites. The Craft's bring this magical story to life. It's a book to treasure.
Jessica
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is gorgeous but not my favorite re-telling. Craft's fairy tales are very wordy and sometimes clinical. For a softer, more romantic Sleeping Beauty, I like Hyman or (the holy grail) Mercer Mayer's version.
Callie Rose Tyler
Keep an eye out for the dogs, the illustrator's signature move :)
Kristina
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I hoped for something more as far as the way of writing is concerned, but the illustrations are simply mesmerizing and deserving 7 stars out of 5!
Jayme
Beautiful illustrations but the story isn't as elegantly rendered as either the Jane Yolen or Trina Schart Hyman versions.
Kelsey
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Beautiful illustrations, not a fan of this version of the story though.
Edith
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Glorious illustrations I’ll cherish for many days to come ❤ ...more
Ashley
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
The illustrations completely made up for the prose, which while satisfactory was entirely too traditional for my tastes. But everyone deserves a beautiful fairy tale and this is one!
Elaine Hoach
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ed-230
Just another sleeping beauty book nothing special. The illustrations are beautifully done
Jonathan Menefee
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: K-3
Illustrated By: Kinuko Y. Craft
As Told By: Mahlon F. Craft

This review fulfills my requirement to read and review a modern picture book of a retelling of a classic fairy tale for RLL-520-0.

I am struck early on that this book is beautifully drawn. Each page conveys meaning and emotion in each illustration. There are clear similarities in the Renaissance paintings of more fame and these depictions of Sleeping Beauty. Certain characters get a Christian and Angelic depiction while ot
R. G. Nairam
Beautiful, intricate illustrations--serviceable prose and story.
Allison Webster
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
1. This book belongs to the traditional literature (picturebook), specifically fairytale, genre.

2. The traditional Grimm Brothers fairytale is retold by Mahlon F. Craft. Beautifully illustrated by his wife Kinuko craft, this book comes to life in a true fairytale quality.

3. The area for critique is illustrations.

The illustrations done by Craft in this story are extraordinarily beautiful. The color, detail, and depth of the illustrations bring the story to life. Little girls and art lovers can
« previous 1 3 4 next »