Start by marking “Fables (The Deluxe Edition, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fables (The Deluxe Edition, #1)

Fables

(Fables: The Deluxe Editions, #1)

When a savage creature known only as the Adversary conquered the fabled lands of legends and fairy tales, all of the infamous inhabitants of folklore were forced into exile.
Disguised among the normal citizens of modern-day New York, these magical characters created their own secret society-within an exclusive luxury apartment building on Manhattan's Upper West Side-called
Hardcover, Deluxe Edition, 264 pages
Published October 6th 2009 by Vertigo (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Fables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fables

Lᴀʏᴀ Rᴀɴɪ #BookDiet2019
My first taste of this literary work was the delectable, tender flesh of Cubs in Toyland, and I developed a strange appetite for Bill Willingham's fairy-tale saga ever since. I was reading through fifty issues already of my .cbr files when I finally bought the first volume of the new Deluxe edition. I was more than pleased to re-read everything in tangible and crisp pages. As a fan of the ABC series Once Upon A Time, I knew about the fact that OUAT (and another show, Grimm) were inspired by this ...more
Jeannette Nikolova
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

Fables is certainly a magical story. And the magic does not only come from the fact that it is literally inspired by fables and fairytale characters. Much of its charm comes directly from the smoothly working machine that this mix of stories and characters is.

While it can hardly be said that many fairytales combined in one story is original, and quite the opposite, lately there have been many of these, Fables still does it in an extremely cool way, if n
Agnė
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fairy Tale Fans
Recommended to Agnė by: Panels & Pages Book Club
WHAT IS IT ABOUT?

“Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book One” by Bill Willingham is a collection of ten first issues of “Fables” comic book series. In this award-winning series, famous and infamous characters from numerous fairy tales are banished to the modern day world. The humanlike Fables live in the NYC-based secret community called Fabletown, while the nonhuman characters are hiding in the private upstate New York Farm.

The first five chapters comprise “Legends in Exile,” a typical whodunit in wh
Arielle Walker
I've been meaning to read Fables for some time now, but kept putting it off - too busy, had other things to read etc etc. I should have read it sooner. Fables is ridiculously fun, with just enough of a dark edge to keep my attention. The re-imagining of old characters is pretty genius, with favourites being Snow White as the over-it-all deputy mayor of the fairytale community and the Big Bad Wolf reformed and now serving as Sheriff. The art is great. Everything is great. Being only the first vol ...more
Iratxe Santamaría
Me encanta este cómic!!! Adoro los personajes de los cuentos y verlos vivir en nuestro mundo me ha gustado mucho. El dibujo muy chulo!!
Orbi Alter
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: strip
Iako ne mogu reci da prica nije zanimljiva, crtez mi unatoc nekim od omiljenih ljudi koji su radili na Sandmanu nikako ne odgovara.
Drzgi problem je ta konstantna potreba da se bajke formatiraju u nikad ovako ispricane verzije. I to je ok, ali isto tako se osjeti dasak vremena u kojem zivimo, a koje voli sve relativizirati ili obojati cinizmom. To mi je recimo dosta iritantno.
Genijalno mi je kako je Bill integrirao Zivotinjsku farmu u Bajkograd, super mi je revolucija i ideja opce amnestije odnos
Damon
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Great with the shiny pages and the hardcover. Good detective style start as well.
Niyura
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, favorites, top_2018
"Imagina que todos los personajes de las historias más queridas fueran reales y vivieran entre nosotros, con sus poderes intactos. ¿Cómo sobrellevarían la vida en nuestra realidad mundana y sin magia?" FAAAN! MUY FAN!
Arnis
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book One by Bill Willingham
SMLauri
Estoy encantada, me alegro mucho de haberme comprado este cómic.
Me costó un poco cogerle el punto porque nunca he leído comics, pero cuando me he hecho con el ritmo no he podido parar.

Blanca es hasta ahora mi personaje favorito. Cuando ha aparecido con el dragón hasta he aplaudido (a mí me pones un dragón y me tienes ganada, a no ser que sean hijos de cierta rubia...). Feroz también me ha gustado bastante.

Me gustaría conocer cosillas que pasaron antes de la amnistía, y saber quién es el adversa
Erica
Huh.
Well.
That's weird.

So I read this (Legends in Exile) when it first came out as a collected volume, way back in the day. It was AMAZING. It was like nothing else I'd read in comic book format. Well, ok, that's not quite true, but it was still breathtaking - fun and silly but a bit noirish and all built around the premise of all the fairy tales and folklores and legends having been driven from their imaginary lands and taking refuge in New York.
To readers not familiar with this series, I imagin
David Schaafsma
I'm not a big fan of fairy tales and fables, really. I may have been at one time, and I see their value culturally. Grimm's tales are classics and we need them for many reasons. I just am not into that them that much. When someone told me to read Willingham's adaptation/riff on the tales for the contemporary adult, I was willing to give it a go. I thought it was okay, amusing, entertaining. The idea is that the fairy tale and fable characters have been usher out of their domains and had to regro ...more
Vanessa
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This edition contains the first two comics in the Fables series, entitled Legends in Exile and Animal Farm. The Fables series is based around many characters of stories and fables, living in a magical area in New York City, disguised from the "mundy's" eyes.

Legends in Exile - 5 stars.

I adored this storyline. It gave the introduction to many characters, including Snow White, Bigby Wolf, Prince Charming, Bluebeard, Rose Red and more. The storyline of a murder investigation really brought the chara
Jill
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I should preface this by saying that I am not a comic book or graphic novel fan. Nothing against the medium, I've just always found them difficult to enjoy. Or read at all, actually -- something about the visual/text combination doesn't work for me.

UNTIL NOW.
Back in May, I was full-on fucking addicted to PewdiePie's walkthrough of the 'Fables' game. The characters, the art, the fun of remixed fairy tales -- absolutely hooked. A little research uncovered this series, on which the game is based, b
Christina Pilkington
I have a thing for anything fairy tales, folk tales or myths. And I adore the TV series Once Upon a Time. So when I heard this the TV show was based loosely on this graphic novel series, I was more than excited to read this.

And it was a fun enough read. I enjoyed reading about the fairy tale and mythological and fantastical creatures in this book. It was quick and engaging.

I was a little disappointed though. I had wanted there to be more of a magical vibe to the book. Instead the first part wa
Mairita (Marii grāmatplaukts)
Starp 3,5 un 4 zvaigznēm, jo pirmais stāsts zaudē ar to, ka diezgan daudz nākas skaidrot, kas noticis un kas notiek. Otrais stāsts jau ir krietni labāks. Ideja par pasaku varoņiem mūsdienu pasaulē ir pietiekoši interesanta un asprātīga, lai būtu vērts lasīt.
Dolly
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who enjoy reading graphic novels
This book takes classic fairy tales and stands them on end. I think of it as combining the maturity level of the material and the characters' grittiness from Neil Gaiman's American Gods and the basic plot premise from Michael Buckley's Sisters Grimm series.

Our oldest said that it strongly resembles the television series Once Upon a Time, but I've never watched it myself.

Overall, it's a very readable and entertaining series and if I were collecting comics when this came out I would have serious
Julia Sutowska
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: Комиксы
Давно я хотела познакомиться с этой серией комиксов.
И моё знакомство прошло очень удачно :)
Это интересная и увлекательная история. Лёгкочитаемая, не смотря на иногда затрагиваемые сложные темы.
Хороший, качественный комикс.
Но только для взрослых, как минимум 16+

Моя оценка 4,5.
Alex
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: american-indies
I was pushing myself to start a new huge comic series for a long time. Since I had the hard copies of Fables in the house, that was the one I went for. I heard the best from a lot of people of whom I value their opinions so I didn't give much thought and jumped right in this fairytale world.

If someone poses the question on what to expect when he starts reading Willingham's adventure, the most correct answer would be " a postmodern mix of fairytales, a shrek for adults" as a friend said. That's
Elaine Whitman
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
This was an interesting take on fairy tales and fables that I would like to read more of. Stories that most people would know brought into modern day was well planed and fun to read I want to read more in the sires to see where it goes.
Zuzana
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall, I liked the story and characters (even though they are not very likeable sometimes), but what really put me off at times was the art. It's nicely detailed and everything, but it felt kind of dated to me (you can definitely see that the series started almost 20 years ago). I hoped the story would keep me sucked in (like Saga, for example), but I read it in more sittings and had no problems putting it down.
Psi
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Fables presents us with a world in which the characters from the fables we all know and love have been forced to move to New York. Starting with this concept this first volume contains two plot arcs: a whodunnit mistery and an internal rebellion. The story is not as complex and thrilling as it could be but it serves as an excelent introduction to the setting in which the rest of the series will (presumably) develop.

The concept is fresh and it is well written, with hundreds of characters
Danijel
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Bajke su opet u gradu! Nemalo su me iznenadila Fibrina izdanja, što ih nisam očekivao, a drugo što su mi otkrili cijeli jedan velik svijet u kojem se osjećam zaista ugodno. Iako pričamo o bajkama, sama činjenica što je serijal izašao u izdanju Vertiga govori dovoljno da je ovo serijal za odrasle.

Naime, u velikom gradu postoji jedan skriveni grad zvani Bajkograd, tajna enklava gdje su utočište pronašle naše Bajke u egzilu. Nakon što je njihove zemlje i cijelu domovinu pregazio neznani Protivnik,
Jeff Raymond
I was given Fables to read about 6 years ago and really enjoyed it. It's part-mystery, part-fantasy, part-fairy tale, and the conceit is good enough where even the slower stories work really well. The first two arcs, however, are near perfect story-wise, and those are collected in the first deluxe edition.

I liked pretty much everything about this, the characters are compelling and fun to read. It's pretty much a must-read comic if you're into these sorts of things, and maybe even if you're not.
Guillem Plà Quiles
Para los amantes de grandes historias. Para aquellos que aprecian el esfuerzo de un dibujo hecho con paciencia. Una verdadera joya.
Jenn
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, graphic-novels
I played Telltale’s The Wolf Among Us several years ago around the time it was initially released and loved it. Through this experience, I learned that Fables was the inspiration for the game and put it on my list as something I one day hoped to read. Recently while searching Amazon for a new graphic novel to read, I came across the deluxe editions of this series and knew I had to finally give this a try. I really really enjoyed this first edition, and I’m very excited about what else is to come ...more
Amber
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read issue #1’s rerelease some time back but it was Wolf Among Us that brought me back into this world. (And I tried reading Fairest awhile back but oh man the big breasts thing annoyed the fuck out of me)

Fables sets storybook characters in the Mundy world of New York City, after being driven out of their own respective lands. Here, they must keep their existence a secret and blend in as well as possible.

But man this is some well thought out and highly intriguing work. The first half of the col
Roger
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well I am pretty much in love now. My wife bought me the deluxe edition of Volume One of Fables-I read the whole thing in one sitting and it was wonderful! I first ran into author Bill Willingham when he was drawing the late lamented Elementals comic. He was a fantastic artist and eventually proved to be an entertaining writer as well. Fables features exactly the characters you might expect-Snow White, Bluebeard, The Three Pigs and other characters from what I will have to term "Storyland." They ...more
Álvaro
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Empecé a leer 'Fábulas' hace tiempo, a trompicones y sin seguir el orden correcto. No llegué a terminarlas y llevaba tiempo queriendo retomarlas y leerlas desde cero, por orden y en serio. Esta edición era lo que necesitaba para hacerlo. Las portadas son una pasada, y el contenido más aún.
Me encanta la forma en que Bill Willingham juega con los personajes clásicos de cuento y cómo los mete en nuestro mundo, así como lo ingenioso de sus historias. Sobre todo me gusta que cada arco tenga un tono d
Petra Valković uozbilji se
Ideja o reformiranim bajkama u ovom stripu mi je genijalna. Iako u današnje vrijeme postoje različite verzije i daju im se nova obilježja, ova mi se posebno svidjela zbog ideje o općoj amnestiji negativaca nakon progona svih bajki iz domovine u novostvoreni Bajkograd u kojem žive. Revolucija na Farmi na kojoj žive stvorenja neprilagođena životu u Gradu također mi je bila zanimljiva, ali najbolji dio mi je bio slučaj nestanka Crvene Ružice u kojoj je bivši zločesti Vuk (sada u ulozi detektiva) u ...more
  • Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Three
  • Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 1
  • Hellboy Library Edition, Volume 2: The Chained Coffin & The Right Hand of Doom and Others
  • Powers: Definitive Collection, Vol. 1
  • Morning Glories: Deluxe Collection, Volume 1
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 3: Dead Man's Knock
  • The Invincible Iron Man, Volume 1
  • The Absolute Sandman, Volume Three
  • Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 2
  • Criminal: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1
In the late 1970s to early 1980s he drew fantasy ink pictures for the Dungeons & Dragons Basic and Expert game rulebooks. He first gained attention for his 1980s comic book series Elementals published by Comico, which he both wrote and drew. However, for reasons unknown, the series had trouble maintaining an original schedule, and Willingham's position in the industry remained spotty for many ...more

Fables: The Deluxe Editions, (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Fables (The Deluxe Edition, #2)
  • Fables (Fables: The Deluxe Edition, #3)
  • Fables (The Deluxe Edition, #4)
  • Fables (The Deluxe Edition, #5)
  • Fables (The Deluxe Edition, #6)
  • Fables (The Deluxe Edition, #7)
  • Fables (The Deluxe Edition, #8)
  • Fables (The Deluxe Edition, #9)
  • Fables (The Deluxe Edition, #10)
  • Fables (The Deluxe Edition, #11)