Start by marking “Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book One (Fables: The Deluxe Edition, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book One (Fables: The Deluxe Edition, #1)

Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book One

(Fables: The Deluxe Edition #1)

When a savage creature known only as the Adversary conquered the fabled lands of legends and fairy tales, all of the infamous inhabitants of folklore were forced into exile.
Disguised among the normal citizens of modern-day New York, these magical characters created their own secret society-within an exclusive luxury apartment building on Manhattan's Upper West Side-called
Hardcover, Deluxe Edition, 264 pages
Published October 6th 2009 by DC Vertigo (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Fables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fables

Start your review of Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book One (Fables: The Deluxe Edition, #1)
Chad
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore this series. I've read through it at least 3 times at this point. Bill Willingham hit on an ingenious idea. What if the characters from fairy tales were real? And they are currently outcasts on our world. The first arc Legends in Exile introduces us to our main group of characters. It's a murder mystery. Someone has killed Rose Red and the town Fables have to get to the bottom of what happened.

The second arc, Animal Farm deals with all the Fables who can't pass as human. They
Selkie ✦ Queen
My first taste of this literary work was the delectable, tender flesh of Cubs in Toyland, and I developed a strange appetite for Bill Willingham's fairy-tale saga ever since. I was reading through fifty issues already of my .cbr files when I finally bought the first volume of the new Deluxe edition. I was more than pleased to re-read everything in tangible and crisp pages. As a fan of the ABC series Once Upon A Time, I knew about the fact that OUAT (and another show, Grimm) were inspired by this ...more
Jeannette Nikolova
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

Fables is certainly a magical story. And the magic does not only come from the fact that it is literally inspired by fables and fairytale characters. Much of its charm comes directly from the smoothly working machine that this mix of stories and characters is.

While it can hardly be said that many fairytales combined in one story is original, and quite the opposite, lately there have been many of these, Fables still does it in an extremely cool way, if
Agnė
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fairy Tale Fans
Recommended to Agnė by: Panels & Pages Book Club
WHAT IS IT ABOUT?

“Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book One” by Bill Willingham is a collection of ten first issues of “Fables” comic book series. In this award-winning series, famous and infamous characters from numerous fairy tales are banished to the modern day world. The humanlike Fables live in the NYC-based secret community called Fabletown, while the nonhuman characters are hiding in the private upstate New York Farm.

The first five chapters comprise “Legends in Exile,” a typical whodunit in wh
Arielle Walker
I've been meaning to read Fables for some time now, but kept putting it off - too busy, had other things to read etc etc. I should have read it sooner. Fables is ridiculously fun, with just enough of a dark edge to keep my attention. The re-imagining of old characters is pretty genius, with favourites being Snow White as the over-it-all deputy mayor of the fairytale community and the Big Bad Wolf reformed and now serving as Sheriff. The art is great. Everything is great. Being only the first vol ...more
David Schaafsma
I'm not a big fan of fairy tales and fables, really. I may have been at one time, and I see their value culturally. Grimm's tales are classics and we need them for many reasons. I just am not into that them that much. When someone told me to read Willingham's adaptation/riff on the tales for the contemporary adult, I was willing to give it a go. I thought it was okay, amusing, entertaining. The idea is that the fairy tale and fable characters have been usher out of their domains and had to regro ...more
Damon
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Great with the shiny pages and the hardcover. Good detective style start as well.
Shannon Appelcline
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
Legends in Exile. I was quite surprised by how mediocre this first story is. Willingham’s scripting is quite awkward. It’s full of expository lumps and little asides pointing out character bits from fairy tales. Further, Medina’s artwork is often coarse (particularly toward the end) and doesn’t reflect the characters as they were later depicted. (Flycatcher is particularly awful.) Finally, the story is a pretty simple caper without much depth. There’s fun character and the detective work is quit ...more
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, graphic-novels
I picked up this graphic novel series because of one of my favourite games, The Wolf Among Us and it didn't disappoint. I love this fairytale reimagining of retired fairytale characters now living their lives in Manhattan, trying to hide their identities amongst the Mundys (normal humans).

Encompassing two complete volumes - Legends in Exile and Animal Farm, the two stories differed quite a lot in tone.

Legends in Exile - 4 stars
I loved this introduction to the inhabitants of Fabletown, with Bigb
Erica
Huh.
Well.
That's weird.

So I read this (Legends in Exile) when it first came out as a collected volume, way back in the day. It was AMAZING. It was like nothing else I'd read in comic book format. Well, ok, that's not quite true, but it was still breathtaking - fun and silly but a bit noirish and all built around the premise of all the fairy tales and folklores and legends having been driven from their imaginary lands and taking refuge in New York.
To readers not familiar with this series, I imagin
Vanessa
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This edition contains the first two comics in the Fables series, entitled Legends in Exile and Animal Farm. The Fables series is based around many characters of stories and fables, living in a magical area in New York City, disguised from the "mundy's" eyes.

Legends in Exile - 5 stars.

I adored this storyline. It gave the introduction to many characters, including Snow White, Bigby Wolf, Prince Charming, Bluebeard, Rose Red and more. The storyline of a murder investigation really brought the chara
Arnis
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book One by Bill Willingham
Jill
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I should preface this by saying that I am not a comic book or graphic novel fan. Nothing against the medium, I've just always found them difficult to enjoy. Or read at all, actually -- something about the visual/text combination doesn't work for me.

UNTIL NOW.
Back in May, I was full-on fucking addicted to PewdiePie's walkthrough of the 'Fables' game. The characters, the art, the fun of remixed fairy tales -- absolutely hooked. A little research uncovered this series, on which the game is based, b
Christina Pilkington
I have a thing for anything fairy tales, folk tales or myths. And I adore the TV series Once Upon a Time. So when I heard this the TV show was based loosely on this graphic novel series, I was more than excited to read this.

And it was a fun enough read. I enjoyed reading about the fairy tale and mythological and fantastical creatures in this book. It was quick and engaging.

I was a little disappointed though. I had wanted there to be more of a magical vibe to the book. Instead the first part wa
Dolly
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who enjoy reading graphic novels
This book takes classic fairy tales and stands them on end. I think of it as combining the maturity level of the material and the characters' grittiness from Neil Gaiman's American Gods and the basic plot premise from Michael Buckley's Sisters Grimm series.

Our oldest said that it strongly resembles the television series Once Upon a Time, but I've never watched it myself.

Overall, it's a very readable and entertaining series and if I were collecting comics when this came out I would have serious
Alex
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: american-indies
I was pushing myself to start a new huge comic series for a long time. Since I had the hard copies of Fables in the house, that was the one I went for. I heard the best from a lot of people of whom I value their opinions so I didn't give much thought and jumped right in this fairytale world.

If someone poses the question on what to expect when he starts reading Willingham's adventure, the most correct answer would be " a postmodern mix of fairytales, a shrek for adults" as a friend said. That's
Elaine Whitman
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
This was an interesting take on fairy tales and fables that I would like to read more of. Stories that most people would know brought into modern day was well planed and fun to read I want to read more in the sires to see where it goes.
Zuzana
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall, I liked the story and characters (even though they are not very likeable sometimes), but what really put me off at times was the art. It's nicely detailed and everything, but it felt kind of dated to me (you can definitely see that the series started almost 20 years ago). I hoped the story would keep me sucked in (like Saga, for example), but I read it in more sittings and had no problems putting it down.
Pablo
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Fables presents us with a world in which the characters from the fables we all know and love have been forced to move to New York. Starting with this concept this first volume contains two plot arcs: a whodunnit mistery and an internal rebellion. The story is not as complex and thrilling as it could be but it serves as an excelent introduction to the setting in which the rest of the series will (presumably) develop.

The concept is fresh and it is well written, with hundreds of characters
Jeff Raymond
I was given Fables to read about 6 years ago and really enjoyed it. It's part-mystery, part-fantasy, part-fairy tale, and the conceit is good enough where even the slower stories work really well. The first two arcs, however, are near perfect story-wise, and those are collected in the first deluxe edition.

I liked pretty much everything about this, the characters are compelling and fun to read. It's pretty much a must-read comic if you're into these sorts of things, and maybe even if you're not.
Robert
Apr 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
An interesting re-imagining of classic fairy tale lore.
Jenn
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2018
I played Telltale’s The Wolf Among Us several years ago around the time it was initially released and loved it. Through this experience, I learned that Fables was the inspiration for the game and put it on my list as something I one day hoped to read. Recently while searching Amazon for a new graphic novel to read, I came across the deluxe editions of this series and knew I had to finally give this a try. I really really enjoyed this first edition, and I’m very excited about what else is to come ...more
Billy Jepma
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, comics
As part of my impossibly long backlog of “Famous Comics Billy Should Read,” I’m finally getting to Fables. And hey, turns out, it’s renowned for a good reason!

I may not be a folklore/fairy tale expert, but I know enough to be very, very down with the premise of this comic. All of the fairy tale characters you know (and a helluva lot more you don’t) being forced to live in our modern world is a killer setting, and Willingham’s story extracts a lot of compelling material from it. The characters f
Amber
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read issue #1’s rerelease some time back but it was Wolf Among Us that brought me back into this world. (And I tried reading Fairest awhile back but oh man the big breasts thing annoyed the fuck out of me)

Fables sets storybook characters in the Mundy world of New York City, after being driven out of their own respective lands. Here, they must keep their existence a secret and blend in as well as possible.

But man this is some well thought out and highly intriguing work. The first half of the col
Roger
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well I am pretty much in love now. My wife bought me the deluxe edition of Volume One of Fables-I read the whole thing in one sitting and it was wonderful! I first ran into author Bill Willingham when he was drawing the late lamented Elementals comic. He was a fantastic artist and eventually proved to be an entertaining writer as well. Fables features exactly the characters you might expect-Snow White, Bluebeard, The Three Pigs and other characters from what I will have to term "Storyland." They ...more
Erik
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-fantasy
I'm not a big fan of murder mysteries, so I wasn't really into the first story in this volume. It was a clever approach to the format though. The second story is much more interesting, covering the beginnings of a revolution by some of the fables. I'm assuming this laid the framework for much of the later stories in the series. Overall it's a great concept that was handled well enough to make me want to read future volumes.
Sara Mul
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've had a difficult time getting into more "traditional" American comics, but Fables warmed me up to it. I absolutely love this series, and I absolutely LOVE Bigby. He is my driving force throughout this entire series as well as Boy Blue. It's a beautiful accumulation of traditional fairy tales and bringing them into a modern setting. It's basically what I wanted out of Once Upon a Time, and for any person who loves fairy tales and comics should read this. (R18+)
Tommy Demsky
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's a strong 3 stars. And I liked it for sure, just... I kinda feel that Saga gave me a high standard I now expect from comics :D Also, I liked story of The Wolf Among Us game a bit more than this. Still a very nice comic book.

Edit: After second volume, I'm going for 4/5 on this one. I did like it more.
Jana Eichhorn
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
That was great! Can't wait to read more.
Leticia
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a page-turner and I'll be following this graphic novel series.

• Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 1
  • The Quotable Sandman
  • Paper Girls: Book Two
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 8: Orpheus in the Underworld
  • Fatale: Deluxe Edition, Volume One
  • Lucifer, Book One (Lucifer, #1)
  • Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Five
  • The Little Endless Storybook
In the late 1970s to early 1980s he drew fantasy ink pictures for the Dungeons & Dragons Basic and Expert game rulebooks. He first gained attention for his 1980s comic book series Elementals published by Comico, which he both wrote and drew. However, for reasons unknown, the series had trouble maintaining an original schedule, and Willingham's position in the industry remained spotty for many year ...more

Fables: The Deluxe Edition (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book Two