Start by marking “Mercy Watson: Something Wonky This Way Comes” as Want to Read:
Mercy Watson: Something Wonky This Way Comes

Mercy Watson: Something Wonky This Way Comes

(Mercy Watson #6)

The porcine wonder is off to the drive-in — and driven to follow that buttery smell — in a comic crescendo that reunites a familiar cast of characters.

Some may find it wonky to take a pig to the movies. But not Mr. and Mrs. Watson, who think the title of the film, WHEN PIGS FLY, is inspirational. And not their beloved Mercy, who is inspired by the fact that the drive-in
Published July 14th 2009 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Mercy Watson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mercy Watson

Start your review of Mercy Watson: Something Wonky This Way Comes
Calista
I read a review where someone pointed out that all the people are the same color as the pig - pink. How interesting. I haven't read the Mercy Watson's before this. This story revolves around how much a pig loves butter. The Watson's are going to see a drive in movie where they serve real buttery popcorn - bottomless even. Hijinks ensue. The pig becomes more entertaining than the movie.

This is Kate, so the writing is great. It is a beginning reader for ages 6-8 maybe depending on the kid. It is a
Abigail
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mercy Watson Fans / Beginning Chapter-Book Readers Who Enjoy Silly Stories
In this fifth and final entry in Kate DiCamillo's Mercy Watson series, about the (mis)adventures of a butter-loving pig, the Watsons head to the Bijou Drive-In, where Mercy (once again) gets into trouble. Following the enticing scent of butter, Mercy causes chaos as she chows down on multiple movie-goers' popcorn. As a growing string of people pursue her, Mercy, who thinks it all a good game, goes on the run. Eventually (as is often the case) the local firemen are called...

A worthy conclusion to
La Coccinelle
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I'm kind of sad that this is the last Mercy Watson book. I still need to read #4 (hurry up, library!) and there's the spin-off series to finish, but I'm going to miss reading about this porcine wonder and her wonky adventures.

In this tale, the Watsons decide to go to the drive-in to see a movie called When Pigs Fly. They take the Lincoln sisters, as well as Stella and Frank (who I'm assuming were introduced in Book 4). Officer Tomilello and Francine Poulet are also at the drive-in, along with
midnightfaerie
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Tried to use this one as our read out loud selection but I think the author is foreign or something because she had many very difficult names and words in this book. My son got frustrated very quickly. Some examples were: Officer Tomiello, Bijou Drive-In, faux, wiliest, fascinating, Eugenia Lincoln, inspirational, and figure of speech to name a few. Perhaps for older children this wouldn't be so difficult, but my avid reader 6 yr old had a hard time of it.
Eileen W
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
These Mercy Watson books are all fun. Love the senior ladies who live next door - Eugenia and "Baby" Lincoln. And Police Officer Tomilello. Love how every book ends with Mrs. Watson making Mercy's favorite treat for all present... hot toast "with a great deal of butter." These are simply fun and wholesome books!
Jacque
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
The last Mercy Watson book! Thank you Kate DeCamillo for turning my daughter into a reader!
Kayli Weeks
Series: Great way to ease younger readers into chapter books. Vibrant pictures, wonderful story, and all around fun.
Jenn
This one was cute. I love Eugenia, as she reminds me of my cranky Granny. Other characters with fun names are introduced (Francine Poulet, Beatrice Leapaleoni, Leroy Ninker) as well as the drive-in movie theater.

The style of writing is easy for youngers to follow but she adds fun vocabulary they might not otherwise know (porcine, wonky).

Mercy sure does love butter and toast (Why toast? X asks. lol)
Susan
Goofy, but not as cute as others in the series.
Anissa
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I loved the illustrations! My boys liked the silliness of the story too.
Sara Hollar
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic early chapter book! I actually read it out loud to my 3 boys- 6, 3 and 2- and we were all laughing out loud. We will read more!
Krista
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My daughter wanted to rate this 5 stars. My mom rating is 3.5 stars. We read this book together. It was cute, fun, but a weird ending. Definitely, going to read more in this series.
Heidi Burkhart
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the Mercy Watson books! They are quick, simple and quite humorous. This one was about buttered popcorn, and of course, buttered toast. Yum!
Karren
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
docking one star because this book did not stand alone as well as the others. it brought together characters from previous books (all with awkward names, new readers beware!). it was still cute, but I think the many side characters negatively affected the story
Nicola Mansfield
Sep 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Reason for Reading: Next and newest (2009) in the series.

Comments: The Watsons are off to the Drive-in to watch a movie but Mercy is more concerned about the strong smell wafting about. Butter! Her favourite smell because where there is butter there is often toast. So she quietly slips out of the car and walks through the drive-in putting her snout in everyone's popcorn and while it is deliciously buttery she is looking for the ultimate taste of buttered toast. Unfortunately for Mercy both
Emily Allen
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
With short chapters, brilliantly colored pictures and an exciting plot, Mercy Watson Something wonky comes this way by Kate DiCamillo and illustrated by Chris Van Dusen would make a great addition to any classroom and school library.

Mercy the “Porcine Wonder” and her family decide to go to the local drive-in, enticed by the real butter used in the bottomless buckets of popcorn and the movie they think will literally be about pigs who can fly, quite an inspirational subject. They pick up many
Kaethe Douglas

How did I not notice before that Can Dusen paints everyone with the same skin color, same highlights and shadows? Everyone, including Mercy Watson, the pig. Different hair, facial features, head shapes, clothes, but the exact same skin (old people are all highlights and shadows for the wrinkles, but the same colors). And unlike The Simpsons, it's not one color for all the White people, but different colors for people of color. It's an interesting choice.

I didn't notice
Joseph Leskey
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anybody
===================
My review of the series:
===================

This book is ridiculously humorous. Simply too good for this world, to stretch things into the realm of the untrue.

(Oh, look at that, it started to rain. Fun.)

All the characters are superb. And there being a pig in the series (in fact the series being about a pig) is astoundingly ingenious. I'll right off say that Kate DiCamillo is a natural at writing pigs. This is an expertly written pig. The humans are brilliantly fashioned as
Amy
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mercy Watson: Something Wonky This Way Comes is an enjoyable finale to the Mercy Watson series. What happens when Mercy Watson goes to the drive-in theater for the first time? Adventure!

I enjoyed all of the Mercy Watson series, as did my just turned 7 year old daughter. I liked DiCamillo's witty story and the illustrations that further bring it to life. I highly recommend reading the stories in order as the characters from the earlier books are used throughout the series.

My daughter enjoys
Jane
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite pigs of all time, Mercy Watson, stars in this adventure at the local drive-in movie theater. First off, I love the Mercy Watson series, I love buttered toast, I love how the illustrations make it look like everyone's got butter permanently slathered over their faces, I love grumpy Eugenia, I love the old-fashioned cars, and I love the small-town feel of all the Mercy Watson books. I should also say these make a great read aloud, especially when you're doing your Eugenia voice. ...more
Liza
Jun 26, 2012 rated it liked it
DiCamillo, K. (2009). Mercy Watson Something Wonky this Way Comes. Massachusetts: Candlewick Press.
Gr. K-3. Mercy Watson loves butter, on toast especially, but one day at the drive in, she discovers she loves buttered popcorn as well! Mercy makes her rounds of the cars to taste the lovely treat, but soon everyone at the drive in is looking for Mercy.
Curriculum: Another good beginning reading book with easy vocabulary and short chapters. This one would be good to talk about firefighting. This
Amy
The kids and I usually enjoy a Mercy Watson book, but this one was not one of the better ones in the series. The story included far too many characters (everyone Mercy has ever met up to this point, I believe), and the story wasn't as funny as some of the other books in the series. The best part about the book was listening to my niece voice Mercy with her impression of a pig oinking (she does a remarkably good pig oink). My nephew and niece were each annoyed by a couple of the more eccentric ...more
Lynsey
Dec 01, 2009 rated it liked it
2nd grade – 4th grade
The author uses larger font with very well spaced text. The author uses phrase of repetition however does include larger and hard words such as Francine Poulet and Eugenia Lincoln. This is a beginning chapter book and does include illustration on mostly every page. The illustrations are vibrant, full of detail and quite comical. This book would appeal to children because of the silly names in the book and the mishaps and adventures that Mercy goes through in attempts to get
Courtney Umlauf
Mercy, the porcine wonder, loves butter, especially a great deal of it on toast. When she and the gang head to a drive-in movie theater where endless buckets of extra buttered popcorn are in every moviegoer's hands, you can imagine the result. The only thing that might stop her from eating all the buttered popcorn in sight is the prospect of her true hearts desire, buttered toast.

A wonderful story that brings all the characters from Deckawoo Drive together. I can't recommend this series enough.
Margie
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The lives of Mr. Watson, Mrs. Watson, Mercy Watson, Eugenia Lincoln, Baby Lincoln, Ned and Lorenzo, firefighters you can count on, Frank and Stella, Police Officer Tomilello, Animal Control Officer Francine Poulet, and Leroy Ninker are about to get even more exciting in the sixth and final book, Mercy Watson Something Wonky This Way Comes (Candlewick Press, July 14, 2009). It's a lovely evening in the town of Gizzford. It's a perfect night for a visit to the local Bijou Drive-In theater to see ...more
Kellie
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: junior-fiction
Everyone is at the drive in movies in the final Mercy Watson book to watch "When Pigs Fly." Mercy Watson follows her nose in a quest to conquer all bottomless buckets of buttered popcorn. Everyone is looking for the missing Mercy including the policeman and the animal control officer! However it is the firemen that convince Mercy to slow down with thoughts of hot buttered toast. As usual the story ends with a backyard party of drinks and of course toast.

Great for beginning chapter book readers
babyhippoface
Jul 01, 2011 rated it liked it
When the Watsons learn that the local drive-in is serving popcorn with real butter and showing a film called, "When Pigs Fly", they hop in the car and head for the movies. Before Mr. Watson can return from the concession stand, Mercy leaves the car in search of the source of the tantalizing buttery smell. The sixth (and final, according to DiCamillo) book in the series, this one brings back characters from the five previous stories and ends on a loving note. Fans of the series will enjoy Mercy's ...more
Kelley
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really great first chapter book for the beginning reader. Each chapter is only a few pages long, the words are simple with good repetition, and the story is funny but easy to follow. Perfect for a struggling reader who wants to try a chapter book for the first time.

My only complaint is that the names of the characters are unique and difficult for a new reader (and their parent!) to pronounce.
Susan
This was such a fun conclusion to the series, with cameos by all the characters we've met before, plus a great set-up for the related series, Tales from Deckawoo Drive. These are my go-to recommendations for basic beginning chapter books between their charming storylines and adorable illustrations. This series is just a winner from all perspectives. (I'm also glad to see that Kate DiCamillo is quitting while she's ahead instead of dragging Mercy out forever!)
Luann
Sep 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Mercy Watson goes to the drive-in! Her adventures there include friends, neighbors, and plentiful amounts of popcorn with real butter.

In her author's note, Kate DiCamillo says this will be the last Mercy Watson book (no!). But then she says that she hates writing those words so much that she may have to write another Mercy Watson book just to cheer herself up. I hope so because a new Mercy Watson book always cheers me up, too!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Princess in Black and the Science Fair Scare (The Princess in Black #6)
  • The Princess in Black and the Perfect Princess Party (The Princess in Black, #2)
  • The Princess in Black and the Hungry Bunny Horde (The Princess in Black, #3)
  • The Princess in Black (The Princess in Black, #1)
  • The Princess in Black and the Mysterious Playdate (The Princess in Black #5)
  • The Princess in Black Takes a Vacation (The Princess in Black #4)
  • Dancing Hands: How Teresa Carreño Played the Piano for President Lincoln
  • A New Friend (The Adventures of Sophie Mouse, #1)
  • The Emerald Berries (The Adventures of Sophie Mouse, #2)
  • Truman
  • Ivy and Bean: No News Is Good News
  • Forget-Me-Not Lake (The Adventures of Sophie Mouse, #3)
  • Looking for Winston (The Adventures of Sophie Mouse, #4)
  • Monsters and Mold (Zoey and Sassafras, #2)
  • The King of Kindergarten
  • Caterflies and Ice (Zoey and Sassafras, #4)
  • Merhorses and Bubbles (Zoey and Sassafras, #3)
  • King & Kayla and the Case of the Lost Tooth (King & Kayla, #4)
Kate DiCamillo, the newly named National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature for 2014–2015, says about stories, “When we read together, we connect. Together, we see the world. Together, we see one another.” Born in Philadelphia, the author lives in Minneapolis, where she faithfully writes two pages a day, five days a week.

Kate DiCamillo's own journey is something of a dream come true. After

Mercy Watson (7 books)