Start by marking “Buddha” as Want to Read:

Buddha

Many centuries ago, in a kingdom in the foothills of the Himalayan mountains, a miraculous child was born to the king and queen. The young prince, Siddhartha, was raised in the greatest luxury, sheltered from all pain and ugliness. But one day Siddhartha left the palace and saw, for the first time, human suffering and death. He knew then that he must relinquish everything- ...more
Published April 15th 1996 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Buddha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buddha

Ashley
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A pared down introductory version of the life of the Buddha. Suitable for... middle school aged children perhaps. Will keep on-hand as a small reminder.
Jessica
Very text-heavy; wonderful illustrations--endpapers are especially nice with the gold leaf depictions of the Buddha. She uses rectangles to contain the pictures throughout this book, with text next to the pictures. Often the pictures expand out of the rectangle container--dreams or other forces coming to interact with the story often depicted outside the boundaries she has set. Beautiful use of red throughout, lots of gold leaf, lots of contrast between bursts of color and pastels. Provided me a ...more
Rhiannon
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Rhiannon by: Ed
This is a nice book my Grandude bought me for my 4th birthday.
Patricia McLaughlin
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Elegant picture-book biography of the great spiritual leader, showing how the young prince Siddhartha evolved into a Buddha; the beautiful, exquisitely rendered illustrations may require interpretation for younger readers, who might not fully appreciate their layered meanings and arcane significance.
Mileena
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars

The story of Siddhartha is so me that I've heard before from my mother. I love it it's beautiful and makes me think. I love everything that Buddhism stands for, the only thing I know I wouldn't be able to conform to is my love of earthly possessions. But anyways this was lovely and the artwork was gorgeous.
Tali Bitton
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this book!
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nicely done. Elegant and engaging.
Stacie
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Buddha story. Deep and lovely.
Debbie Hoskins
Demi has been writing and illustrating spiritual biographies and tales for children since the late 1970's. Her style is intelligent, detailed, and unique. This summary of Buddha's life, is distilled from more than 82,000 books in Demi's personal library, most of which relate to Buddhism.

To show how much attention Demi pays to detail. She thanks Reverence Lien Mao for scrutinizing every finger of the mudras (hand positions of prayer that connect with Heaven).

This is suitable for kids older than t
Lindsey
Of course I want to read Siddhartha more than ever now.

What I learned:

*Siddhartha was born from his mother's right side.
* He married and left his wife, child, and fortune to pursue the holy life and search for Truth of life over death.
*When he reached enlightenment, he turned into a Buddah--every 100 thousand years, a buddah is born to purify the earth.
*Key words to remember: karma, nirvana, enlightenment,
*meditation purifies the body, speech, and mind.
Charity
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Beautiful illustrations alongside a touching yet kid-friendly retelling of Siddhartha's life and teachings. I love that this book included the Eight-fold Path. I read this curled up on my daughter's bed with my two-year-old falling asleep in my arms and the winter sun peeking in through the windows, which may also have influenced my impression of this book.
Kate
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Some passages that have stayed with me:
"I am a seeker of the Truth, of live over death. And to find it I have given up everything on this earth."
"The Truth cannot be found in the mind or in the body, he thought. The Truth can only be found in the innermost core of the heart, which is connected with all of existence."
Yusuf Sahin
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Buddha was a nice book about a story of a child of a king who becomes a great Buddha. The king doesn't want his son to become a beggar so he builds nice and fancy buildings for keeping him in the kingdom but its no use. The next parts, well, you can read that!
Vanessa
Mar 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Demi's specialty is introducing young kids to world religions. This one is a beautiful introduction to Sidhartha and to the origins of Buddhism. My daughter perused this book as a 5 year old -- but she has unusually precocious interests...
Benjamin Zapata
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another beautiful told and illustrated biography by Demi, bringing her devotion to the teachings of the Buddha to her telling of his illustrious and extraordinary spiritual life.
Brittanie Rieu
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think there would be a Buddhist picture book, but I was surprised by this one. I've always been interested in Buddhism, and this book was actually pretty well written. Loved it!
Jessica Bingham
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion, nonfiction
I love Demi's illustrations!!! This book is beautiful. The story is simple and easy for children to follow.
Mckinley
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rich illustrations to accompany the story of Siddhartha becoming the Buddha.
Catherine  Mustread
Jul 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Story of the young prince, Siddhartha, who relinquishes everything -- his family, his wealth, his position -- to discover the truth of life over death. Grades 3+
CCFuller
Sep 08, 2017
Katie
Feb 26, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Demi (September 2, 1942) born Charlotte Dumaresq Hunt, is an award-winning children’s book author and illustrator. During her career she has published over 300 titles.

Demi was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts. She is the great-grand daughter of the American painter William Morris Hunt, and the great-grand niece of architect Richard Morris Hunt. Demi earned her nickname as a young child when her f