Start by marking “The Locavore Way: Discover and Enjoy the Pleasures of Locally Grown Food” as Want to Read:
The Locavore Way: Discover and Enjoy the Pleasures of Locally Grown Food

The Locavore Way: Discover and Enjoy the Pleasures of Locally Grown Food

Eating food grown close to home is not only tasty, but comes with great benefits for the health of your family, your local community, and the environment. Learn how and where to find local foods, how to eat locally on a tight budget, what questions to ask at the farmers’ market, and how to grow your own food in small spaces. With shopping tips and simple guides to preparin ...more
Published November 11th 2009 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published November 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Locavore Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Locavore Way

jess
Aug 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, food
Basically, if you decided very suddenly and enthusiastically that you were going to become a locavore, this book would help you figure out things like:
1. shop at farmers markets
2. ask questions at farmers markets
3. grow some of your own food
4. food has a season
5. you can preserve food to eat it outside the season.

seriously, there is probably some kind of market for this book, but i have no idea what it is. anyone I know who gives half a shit about local foods could probably have written this bo
Bob
Mar 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
About halfway through this book I wondered aloud "How many pages can you use to tell people to visit their farmer's market and maintain a garden?"

That's really all this book is, over and over again. Good stuff for people new to the concept, I suppose, but for anyone who knew what a Locavore was before picking up the book you can probably skip this one.
willaful
Apr 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone new to the locavore moment
So you’ve become convinced of the health, taste and environmental benefits of eating local, sustainably raised foods. Now what? This handbook has lots of suggestions and resources to help make the transition to the locavore lifestyle, from how to cook all the weird new foods you’ll be trying to how to become involved in food politics, should you be so inclined. It covers a lot of ground in a fairly superficial way, and there’s a bit too much repetition and filler, but also lots of useful resourc ...more
Robin
Jun 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet and easy-to-read book that is great for newbies. Totally non-threatening and there's no finger-wagging. Just encouragement and basic advice for getting started on a healthier, tastier, more local diet.

It's a little clunky in that all resources -- websites, agencies, lists of farms, etc. -- are in the back, with the reader regularly directed to look in the "Resources" section. It would have improved the ease of use if they had also been put into the text as they are mentioned.

The
Abigail
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is quite basic, but it is a good resource for someone who is interested in local food and where to find it. It also includes recipes, which is always nice. I think my favorite part of the book, as I am not new to sourcing local food but I'm sometimes unsure what to do with unfamiliar vegetables, is the section where the author lists many different types of vegetables and different ways to prepare them. I think I will definitely be using that in the future. I enjoyed reading this and wo ...more
Kasandra
Feb 18, 2016 added it
Shelves: gardening
I picked this book up from the library because I wanted to know more about CSAs. For a person like myself, who grew up on a farm, most of the book's content is common knowledge. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find my hometown (Morgantown, WV) showcased in the farmers' market section.

Although not much of the material was new to me, it is a good place to start for anyone who has never known the joy of really fresh, local produce.
Ratforce
Locavore Way by Amy Cotler, a chef and cooking instructor, provides detailed advice on localizing your eating habits. She includes information on how and where to shop for local food, recipes and ideas for preparation and storage of these foods, tips on eating out, and plans for raising your own food.
Cherie
Dec 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Venessa and Wanda
B An interesting locavore book - I know of this but I wish she'd talk aobut more about how to find local stuff or better options to do when there's not local options near you. Still, inspiring, good ideas, neat book with an admirable way to live.
Shannon
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, cooking
Anyone interested on the topic will love this book. It is informative and helpful to the newbie and experienced locavore. A multitude of topics are covered here. It's possible to read just one section or all! I love the list of resources in the back.
Kelly
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I chuckled at the reviewer wondering who the target audience for this book could possibly be, someone "clueless, but enthusiastic," who very suddenly got interested in eating local? That's me. Loved it, got all inspired for the summer. This lady's going to be plunging and shocking!
Khristiey
Jul 10, 2012 rated it liked it
good for beginners and novices. the back sections and resource guides are chockful of great info. it's worth a look just for that. think of this book as a great springboard ready to launch you into a better, healthier future, in which you are smarter and more aware.
Heather
May 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Nothing new here.
Amanda Eggleston
Sep 29, 2010 rated it liked it
I learned a few things, but most of her instruction is intuitive.
Leslie
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Very basic. Better for folks that aren't already familiar with the concept of locavores. Nothing new here for those already aware of this movement.
Liz
Sep 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book has made me change the way I eat. I learned a ton of things about how to eat local and how it helps our health and economy. I am committed to eating and shopping this way.
Dayini
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cpl
A comprehensive survey and introductory guide to local foods.
Chrissy
May 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: food
A good book for beginners to eating healthy and locally. It is a bit redundant too. But the resources section in the back is great!
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Basic book about eating locally
Amy
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food, homestead
Go to farmer's market. Grow your own food. Support local. That is basically all this book says.
Giselle
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Pretty common sense info. Will consult the suggested further reading.
Erin Caldwell
Feb 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was a great resource for anyone who wants to eat locally. It was also an easy read and had a fantastic "resources" section in the back.
Kim
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, cookbooks
Nice format. Good book for beginners. Lots of ideas for starting this new way of life.
Stephanie Nyhof
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned, 2016
2.5. Very preachy and repetitive.
Sara