Start by marking “The Starr Report: The Findings Of Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr On President Clinton And The Lewinsky Affair” as Want to Read:

"The Starr Report: The Findings of Independent Counsel Kenneth W. Starr on President Clinton and the Lewinsky Affair"
Published October 6th 1998 by PublicAffairs (first published September 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Starr Report, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Starr Report

Start your review of The Starr Report: The Findings Of Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr On President Clinton And The Lewinsky Affair
Ericka Clouther
I thought I wrote a review of this but I can't find it anywhere. Probably I was just too horrified after reading (horrified by both Bill Clinton and Kenneth Starr). First of all, this reads like a smutty romance turned crime thriller so prepare yourself for that. It's dirty but definitely not hot, so I don't think Starr has a future as a romance writer.

Second, I was disappointed to realize, in retrospect, that Bill Clinton probably should have been impeached because he clearly broke the law. The
Robert
Jul 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book followed up my conversion from a liberal to a conservative. After the the finger-wagging president admitted he had lied to me, The Starr Report further highlighted the problems I had with the man I voted for twice.

This is a must-read for any political junkie.

As I read the book, I recall e-mailing my parents a running commentary. They essentially said back to me, "We told you so."
Alejandro
Feb 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Romance in the form of an affidavit.
Paul Gaya Ochieng Simeon Juma
This is a scandal well known to most of us. Unfortunately for me I never had the details. I heards snippets of it from my lecturer who mentioned 'the blue dress'. At the time I was ignorant of the issue. Luckily for me, six years down the line I have gained an insight into the affair that nearly led to the impeachment of the 'leader of the free world'. It has come to be known as the greatest scandal in American history, second only to the watergate during the reign of Richard Nixon.

This book ou
Geo Forman
May 26, 2020 rated it did not like it
I am not a good judge of Special Commission reports but the only other one I have read, that from the 9/11 commission, was far more engaging than this. Sure there are some brief titallating descriptions of encounters between Monica and good ole Bill but only the cigar episode can be described as exceptional. This edition featured commentary outside the actual report. To read that some Congressmen were aghast at the sexual discreptions makes me wonder if those congressmen are all precursors to Mi ...more
Carol
Jun 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
Tedious - I couldn't get through it. Although there was much information, it was full of repetition and I ended up quitting in the middle. If you're looking for something that is readable, this isn't it. It's all "legalize." It's the real report, I have no doubt. It's certainly not a narrative. I decided to read "Contempt" by Kenneth Starr--much more readable, and it goes into depth about the investigations, everyone's parts, and how they came to conclusions about criminal referrals. It's like t ...more
Nicholas Bobbitt
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's not the most readable book, but it's certainly important enough to America's history to warrant its spot on my shelf.
Kate Elizabeth
3.5 stars. I feel guilty for finding this as interesting as I did. It's kind of...really graphic, but the Washington Post analysis is great and the whole thing is just engrossing. Grounds for impeachment? No. That was ridiculous. Probably a good thing to read? Yes. Even though I feel like a voyeur.

If you read it, I recommend reading the report first, the referral second and the analysis third. Basically the opposite of how it's laid out.
Dean
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Juicy story.
James
Jan 10, 2013 rated it liked it
High level of detail in some quite private moments with the president. Worth reading for cultural literacy purposes / living history etc
Robin Hill
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it
it was informative, but so many things blacked out in it.
Stuck on Lou
Mar 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Whatever you do, DON'T skip the footnotes.
Ip
Jul 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Making of Donald Trump
  • Mecca: The Sacred City
  • Find Me (Inland Empire, #1)
  • Punic Nightmares (Hardcore History, #21-23)
  • Ghosts of the Ostfront (Hardcore History, #27-30)
  • Blueprint for Armageddon (Hardcore History, #50-55)
  • King of Kings (Hardcore History, #56-58)
  • Death Throes of the Republic (Hardcore History, #34-39)
  • Radical Thoughts (Hardcore History, #40)
  • Wrath of the Khans (Hardcore History, #43-47)
  • The Celtic Holocaust (Hardcore History, #60)
  • The Persian Expedition
  • The End of October
  • Thor's Angels (Hardcore History, #41)
  • Arguably: Selected Essays