Start by marking “The Boys, Volume 3: Good For The Soul” as Want to Read:
The Boys, Volume 3: Good For The Soul

The Boys, Volume 3: Good For The Soul (The Boys #3)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  3,485 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
This volume collects issues #15-22 of The Boys by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson.
Published April 2009 by Titan Books (first published October 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Boys, Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boys, Volume 3

HFK
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphics, paidkindle
I want to make babies with Garth Ennis.

Good for the Soul is the real goddamn addiction dope, extremely fulfilling volume as there is so much revelations, history opening before my eyes that it almost wants to make me go apeshit for its awesomeness.

Being a very character driven series, it is almost unbelievable how whole and structured it can feel even when there is so many personalities to follow. It never feels as if there is too much of everything, too much of pieces to put together, and I sup
mark monday
Mar 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comikon
Ennis continues his obsession with shit in this 3rd installment of his vindictive parody. the underground team known as "The Boys" continues to keep a watch on various super-powered groups like "Teenage Kix" and "The Seven". mysteries are deepened, some questions are answered but more are not, a slain character comes back as a revolting zombie, the most enjoyable character - the naïve heroine Starlight - continues to evolve, there's a slice of graphic hate sex for a couple of characters, and the ...more
Gavin
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Third volume into this great series, and nothing yet makes me want to stop reading. This one has a lot more about the characters, history, and background info that led us to where things sit here: a sort of Cold War stalemate between the Seven (Think JLA) and the Boys. Hughie gets more ink than anyone else, and I think that's a great idea because he's easily the one that most can relate with.
We get a glimpse into the history of Vought-American, the uber-corporation that supports (and more) the S
Stewart Tame
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I swear, sometimes it seems as though this book would more accurately be titled Wee Hughie, Co-Starring the Boys. I'm not really complaining, mind you. He's the New Guy, and gives us an outsider's perspective on the team. It gives Butcher and/or Mother's Milk someone to explain things to without sounding too exposition-y. In any case, this volume is decidedly Hughie-centric as he deals with his guilt over Blarney Cock's death, makes progress in his relationship with Annie, and gets filled in on ...more
Stephen
3.0 stars. This is the third volume of this ground-breaking series by Garth Ennis. For the most part, I thought the story-line was just okay and the sex and violence seemed to be a bit more pointless than in the previous two volumes. That said, the infamous 9/11 tie in plot-line in the last story arc was gutsy and very well done. Apart from that, this would have gotten two stars.
Jesse A
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Still a fun series. 3.5 stars.
Mike
Feb 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This time around we're getting to know everyone - the characters, the supes, the world and even the Stan Lee-on-testosterone parody. I really like this kind of writing by Ennis - gives the story and characters a chance to breathe, lets us take a closer look and understand why these crazies did or will do what they do.

I'm thrilled we're getting some details (finally!) about the Vought-American Corp and the supes they funded, and Ennis has a hilarious take on how they intervene in the 9-11 fiasco.
Jason
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
This volume has some real nasty scenes, all I can say is poor poor Hughie, that's not what you want to wake up to. Haha

Some interesting concepts in this issue, which is mainly focused on giving you some background on the boys and the seven. Alternate reality stuff on 9/11 was really messed up. Why are super heroes so dumb?

On to volume 4!
Octavi
Apr 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
La cosa mejora. Seguiremos.
Michael Hitchcock
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rick
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, own-pulp
This is one of the times where I read part of a book then put it down because I got distracted by something new and shiny. In this case I read the first third or so and didn't pick it up again for well over six months. I finally got back to it and was pleasantly surprise at the halfway mark or so to see Wee Hughie visit The Legend and get a history lesson on The Seven and V.A.C./Vought American.

The second half of this book was mostly world building as it tells the reader the story of how supes (
Erik
May 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ennis and Robertson are back for two more story-arcs moving forward the plot of the titular covert team and their exploits in undoing the damage wrought by the less-than-savory superheroes that run amok. Although not as shocking as the previous two volumes – perhaps due to Ennis’ inability to out-do himself at this point in the series – the plotlines and character revelations go deeper this time around. Not only do we get to know Annie January much better – Wee Hughie’s new love interest (shades ...more
Feather Mista
Mar 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Conspirativistas.
Recommended to Feather by: Lo que venía
Hasta ahora, el mejor libro de toda la saga, lejos. Todo lo bueno y lo malo de los dos primeros tomos sigue acá, pero es cuando empiezan a ahondar en el pasado de los supergrupos y en la relación entre Hughie y Anne que arranca lo verdaderamente bueno. Lo primero le da un contexto y una backstory de lo más creíble, interesante e indignante al grupo de "Los Siete" y toda la mierda marquetinera y comercial que se construyó alrededor de ellos y los otros súpers que fueron creando las compañías en b ...more
Alex
Jul 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
After truly going off the boil in volume two with scenarios that pushed all of the politically incorrect buttons but adding none of the biting satire of the first volume, Ennis is back on form and these are possibly my favourite Boys stories so far. Possibly one of the mopst gross out sex jokes of all time had me in stitches (whilst somehow making the love story between Hughie and Annie all the more sweet) whilst the expanded backstory on the Supes was well conceived and involving and set the to ...more
James Rodrigues
Resurrection, a trope in superhero comics, is taken to extreme levels here. There's also a standoff between The Seven and The Boys, which is rather tense, and the history of Vought-American.

But the volume fails in one major aspect, as we look into an incident caused by the Seven. It's a good showcase for the problem with anybody becoming a superhero, but it's so uncomfortable and off-putting how much this event resembles 9/11. It just seems like an excuse to be offensive, and could have easily b
Patrick
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Why might I warn people away from the series? For the same reason they might find any of Ennis's work off-putting: Graphic ultraviolence. Graphic sex. Perversity. The usual.

That said, in some of Ennis's books, (Preacher, for example) the depictions of sex and violence sometimes (bordering on regularly) feel gratuitous.

I never felt that way with The Boys. Yes, it was over-the-top a lot of times, but it always felt fitting to the story being told.

(Continued in book four.)
Ria
I'm really loving this series, very compulsive and dark and extremely funny. Volume 3 featured a few key pay offs from earlier episodes as well as sowing some interesting seeds for future instalments (what on earth happened with Mother's Milk's mother?!). Still ultra violent, rude, twisted and outrageous, and I am completely hooked now.
Noah Soudrette
Oct 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Another great entry into the saga of "The Boys". I wont go into detail so as not to spoil anything, but things slowly start to come to a head. This also features the infamous 9/11 story, that is a must read.
Paul Cathcart
By part 3 I'd decided not to buy anymore.
Devowasright
Sep 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ennis you sick, sick bastard.
TJ Shelby
Guilty pleasure...or maybe sick obsession is a better explanation. As with all Garth Ennis books, I cannot with good conscience recommend them to anyone.
David Schaafsma
Ennis continues his send up of superhero comics in this the third volume of The Boys (A CIA-backed group monitoring the supes), with two basic storylines: Some back story by Billy Butcher told to Wee Hughie about the Vought Corporaation’s support for the Superhero group The Seven who botched a rescue attempt of a plane during 9-11. Yes, it’s that nasty. Billy is a kind of a twisted Stan Lee parody, who has his own personal reasons for resentment against the supes especially after supporting them ...more
Oron
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2017, kindle
It was a bit uneven, but the closing story which told the back stroy of the super-heroes in this twisted world was very good.
Grotesque and harsh as is always with Ennis, this series in not easy to digest and some pages are in a really bad taste, but there are some nice twists and even calm "normal" moments with some of the charecters.
Seth
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hughie got his Superhero Redwings, that's all I'm going to say!
Amber
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have really enjoyed the story. It's getting super intense, which is fun.
D'Iberville Library
This installment is very essential to the series. There is a good deal of background information given about Vought-American and the corruption in D.C. The conspiracies and cover-ups that surround the supes is astounding, especially involving The Seven. The Legend turns out to be a fount of knowledge about the supes and their origins due to his involvement in the original marketing campaigns and propaganda comic books.

Frenchie and The Female's friendship is shown to be a powerful deterrent agai
Arminzerella
Kirsty
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
OK...I was really enjoying this series up until volume 3. This volume is quite offensive with no humour or overly graphic violence to compensate for it.

I know that this series is not for the light hearted and I'm pretty hard to offend. I wouldn't say I was personally offended, it just didn't sit well with me with the whole alternative history especially with 9/11 that was the main thing but I also found the whole period oral sex a little bit distasteful too and I think had there been more humour
Laura Morrigan
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really interesting series that looks at things like the glorification of violence, the objectification of female superheroes, the roles corporations play in war, and much else. It is also completely irreverent, and makes no effort not to offend. In fact, you might say it intends to shock and offend. I have no complaints about that, I think you go into reading this series knowing what it is about. It is definitely not for everyone. There is explicit sex and violence.

I personally admire
Stacey
Nov 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With Good for the Soul Garth Ennis fleshes out some of the supporting characters in The Boys. Of the team the Frenchman probably gets the best treatment but I'm very curious where he's taking Mother's Milk and the Female. Sometimes I find The Boys a little too explicit and there were a few points in the first arc that were a little much for me.

I did like Hughie's speech over the Blarney Cock and I liked the relationship between the Female and the Frenchman. I like how Hughie's relationship with
  • Irredeemable, Vol. 2
  • Powers, Vol. 10: Cosmic
  • DMZ, Vol. 7: War Powers
  • Planetary, Volume 4: Spacetime Archaeology
  • Invincible, Vol. 10: Who's the Boss?
  • Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse, Vol. 3: Calamari Rising
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 5: Smoke, Smoke (Ex Machina, #5)
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch ...more
More about Garth Ennis...

The Boys (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Boys, Volume 1: The Name of the Game
  • The Boys, Volume 8: Highland Laddie
  • The Boys, Volume 9: The Big Ride
  • The Boys, Volume 10: Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker
  • The Boys, Volume 11: Over the Hills with the Swords of a Thousand Men

“Well if I ever stick a cape on an' start usin' ordinary human bein's to wipe me arse with, you'll know you were right to worry, won't you?” 0 likes
“Folks love fantasy. Beasts the shit outta reality and day of the week.” 0 likes