Start by marking “Soulstice (The Devouring, #2)” as Want to Read:
Soulstice (The Devouring, #2)

Soulstice

(The Devouring #2)

The Vours: Evil, demonic beings that inhabit human bodies on Sorry Night, the darkest hours of the winter solstice.

Six month...

Since Reggie first discovered the existence of the Vours in a tattered journal. Since she learned to overcome her fear and destroyed a Vour to save Henry.

Now as the summer solstice approaches, the Vours still haunt Reggie, but only in/>Six
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 266 pages
Published August 19th 2009 by Little, Brown Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Soulstice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soulstice

Yan
Apr 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Lucy
Aug 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Darren Shan fans, horror fans
Six months after the events of The Devouring, Reggie Halloway is still haunted by nightmares of Vours and fearscapes, but aside from the terrifying dreams, she hasn't seen anything of the Vours since she saved her little brother from possesion.

But the memory of her awful encounter haunts her daily. Her little brother Henry is still suffering from nightmares and having violent episodes. Her best friend Aaron is worried about her. And the investigation into the disappearance of town golden boy Q
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This review can also be found on my blog!

This book continues six months after the events in The Devouring and, let me tell you, it’s good but it isn’t as good.

I still love Reggie and Aaron, but the story gets a little odd. It felt like it was less about character development and getting me to care about the story — which I did in The Devouring because who doesn’t love an older sister teaching her brother to save himself? — than about hitting the next plot points so the stepping stone was in place
kari
May 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, ya
NO CLIFFHANGER ENDING!!! NO!NO!NO!
I don't like this at all.
I can't say that I like this series, more that I'm curious about where the story is going to go. The Vours are something different though, which is good, not vampires or werewolves and actually much more scary than either of those.
Also, there are some editing errors which bothered me. Examples: At one point Reggie is looking after her injured leg and she wasn't ever injured on her leg. I re-read that part three times to
Anne
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was ok

I didn't think there was much of a plot advancement in this book. It felt like a shorter version of the 1st book. She still has a creepy attraction to Quinn, Aaron is still hanging on her like a puppy, and you don't learn much more about the Vours.
All in all a pretty blah book, but the cliffhanger at the end makes it impossible not to go ahead and try to read the last book.
I've already invested this much time in this series, so why not finish it out?
Karen
Nov 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another 5/5! This book was just as good as the first book!

In this second book to the triology, Reggie is visited by a character in the first book who we are not expecting. She greets this meeting not too happily and after this person proposes that she help in a certain way, she is even more weary of what is actually going on. But in the end she decides to help and is thrown into a mess because of it.

Also, in this book, Reggie decides to continue going into peoples fearsca
Cait S
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This series continues to impress. Thankfully it doesn't seem to suffer from the "THAT WAS TERRIBLE" Second Book Syndrome that so many series deal with. It did lose a little bit of the creepy factor from the first book, it just wasn't as scary. Other than that though a very solid follow up and an AWESOME set up for book #3!
Sue Moro
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-books, horror
This was an excellent sequel to The Devouring! I read book one quite awhile ago, but I was able to dive right back into the story without the need of a re-read. The book kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time, and now I can't wait to read book three and see how it all ends!
Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)
Six months have passed since Reggie entered her younger brother Henry’s fearscape and expelled the Vour that had taken over his body. Six months since handsome, popular Quinn turned out to be a Vour and Reggie’s best friend Aaron battled him to the death. Six months since Eben, the owner of the bookstore and Reggie’s boss, turned out to be a lot more than just a kind old bookstore owner. In those six months, winter turned to spring, which turned to summer and school is letting up. Henry has been ...more
Donna
Aug 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
You know, it's books like this that make me want to haul ass to my local used book store and scour the shelves of YA horror of the days of yore (which I'll be doing on Saturday, thanks). The Devouring series is proof positive that you can have kick ass YA reading material without some derivative love triangle (or romance in general) mucking things up.

Steph from Reviewer X and I talked about this when we were at BEA. How many YA books out there do you know of that don't involve some k
BOOK BUTTERFLY
Aug 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Six months after the events of The Devouring, Reggie Halloway still hasn't seen any sign of the Vours. Aside from terrifying dreams and disturbing memories, all has been quiet in her world. I knew it was only a matter of time before all hell broke loose though, and this made me extremely jumpy right from the get-go. So when sweet, docile Henry (the Vour free version, that is) was involved in a violent episode at school, it was pretty easy to ascertain that this was "game on!" From that point on ...more
Stephanie
Apr 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Another nightmarish delight that Simon has brought to us. It’s everything that I had expected and more – more scary, more intense and more mystery.

What I loved about Soulstice is obviously the plot. Even though some parts of the book are really creepy, it’s so intense and gripping that there’s no way I could put it down. I loved how Soulstice can allow me to convey so many emotions – sadness, horror, disgust, anticipation, exhilaration and many more. Since I can usually predict the e
Miss Clark
Naomi
Nov 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Wrighty
Sep 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
It's been six months since Reggie first discovered and fought against the Vours, malicious and demonic beings that inhabit human bodies on the eve of the Winter Solstice. The Vours still haunt Reggie, but only in her dreams-until one night, when an unexpected visitor turns her nightmares into reality. The battle against evil continues in Soulstice, the second book in the thrilling The Devouring series.

I received the second book before the first, The Devouring, so I had to read these
H
This is so not what I expected! I'm in awe. Literally. With mouth hanging open at the unusual depth this story had depicted.

First of all, I loved the idea! This is going to my "original" shelf 'cause in it's own unique and weird way, it is.

Okay, let me tell you what I exactly expected: a normal, albeit boring urban fantasy story. Maybe a stolen "Edward & Bella" plot in disguise. But I just picked it up with no expectations whatsoever.

This is NOT to be comp
Lauren
Apr 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
While The Devouring was only slightly scary, in Soulstice Simon Holt ups his game in a big way by making it a scarier and more thrilling read.

The one thing that really won me over with this was the action packed plot. Since, there was always some new twist and turn to come into action and more was told and explained about the Vours. This all made Soulstice go by much faster then it's prequel.

Unfortunately, the characters still weren't all the way there for me. This could partly be b
Victor
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darn those cliff-hangers! Good thing I got Fearscape along with this book.:D

After finishing The Devouring the Simon Holt in November this book was number one on my wishlist. The reason I love this trilogy so so much is because of the writing and the horror! I have always loved horror(Stephen King is one of my favorite authors!) and I started getting into the horror genre from R. L. Stine's Goosebumps series. This reads like R. L. Stine and Stephen King both wrote it. You have the constant suspense which eve
Michelle. D.
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved
Minor Spoilers

OMG! This book was even better than the first one! It made me scream like crazy when some random thing happened!
First I wanna say this.. OMG! You think she's crazy! It's real! What kind of dad are you! YOu sent her some random mental institution ward thingie! LIKE WTH! YOU MADE ME CRY WHEN YOU DID THAT!...

Spoilers end

I had to get that off my mind because it just really pissed me off and made me sad... Anyways, he's back. OMG, he's back. a
Heather
Aug 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
I liked this book much more than the first. I think for The Devouring, I was expecting more, but I felt it was a bit cheesy and it resembled a bad B-movie. However, with Soulstice I got more of what I was looking for that the first book couldn't deliver. I thought the writing was way better too, more creative. I also connected to the characters more, always a plus.

I was totally sucked in my Quinn, just like Reggie. I feel her humiliation... I think I wanted to believe he was the bad
Laura (Booksforbreakfast)
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I just adore this series! It's one of my favorites and have told everyone I can that they need to read it. I think this one could even surpass it's original (gasp). Simon Holt is a tremendous author and sucks you into his world of the Vours. I love his clever way of playing with a very lethal subject - fear and bringing to to absolute life. He takes the fears we all experienced as children and blows them up to this huge level that's so clever. His writing just flows and I found myself saying 'ju ...more
Kapri
Jan 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-reviewed
Soulstice was the sequal to The Devouring. those books are horror books, but I didn't think they were scary. Don't get me wrong, I still like it. It was good, it just didn't scare me. But them again, I'm not really easily scared when it comes to books.

Soulstice's main two main characters were Aaron and Reggie. It had a lot more from Aaron than in the Devouring. Reggie is, in a way, a frightening character. It's kind of scary how far she'll go at times. She's deffinatly a very interes
Marsha
Jul 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent installment by Simon Holt. After banishing the vour from her brother's body, Reggie and co. discover that it is not truly gone. Reggie is still reeling from the realization that her friend and former boss from the bookstore had not been totally forthright with her. She quits her job and avoids him as much as possbile; but when the vour begin hunting her, she finds she will need all the assistance she can find (including that of a former enemy). Her little brother is now in coun ...more
Priscilla
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Check out my video review: http://www.youtube.com/user/thereadab...
Juuli
I finally finished it. And it was as spooky as the first book.
Rebecca Jane
Jan 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
I really liked how creative and creepy this book was. I don't have the imagination to come up with things like this but it was really good. I like the characters and the storyline, so yay :)
Amanda Derrick
May 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
i loved it soooooooo much but i was really sad when i reached the end. the vour-human relationship is definitely a lot deeper than i thought. can't wait to read the next one
Amara Luciano
Nov 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
*MAY NOT BE SPOILER-FREE*

What a crazy, thrilling installment in The Devouring series this turned out to be! I'm still shaking. Where to begin...

Soulstice has everything I loved from the first book, The Devouring, but magnified at least five times. So, it's darker, edgier, and much much scarier. But the creepy parts aren't unnecessary, without purpose, but serve the plot well, and effectively kept me at the edge of my seat!

See, this second book takes place six months afte
Eden
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: My boyfriend.
Shelves: reviewed, horror
It's been 6 months since Reggie discovered the existence of Vours. But the Vours have seemed to leave Reggie alone, until one day she gets an unexpected visitor.

What I really like so far about these books is the monsters are your usual fare; they aren't zombies, werewolves, or vampires. But something different entirely and in my opinion, more frightening.

Can't wait to see what happens in the next book.
Alecia Hefner
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good just like the first book. Reggie has an awful lot of guts. I hope that we find more out about Quinn and Machon and that Aaron continues to grow in the leaps and bounds we saw in this book. I really hope we get more information on what is going on with Henry. He was a focus point for some of this book and then poof we didn't get anymore and I would like to know what happens with him.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Heavenward Path
  • 恋だの愛だの 1 [Koi Dano Ai Dano 1]
  • Princess of the Damned
  • G.A. Aiken Bundle: The Dragon Who Loved Me, What a Dragon Should Know, & Last Dragon Standing
  • Who Ran My Underwear up the Flagpole?
  • Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 5 (Sugar Sugar Rune, #5)
  • Hanatsukihime, Vol. 02
  • The Class Trip (Sweet Valley Twins Super Edition, #1)
  • Silver Flame (Braddock-Black, #2)
  • Wishful Thinking (Swann Sisters Chronicles #1)
  • For Hating Me You Sure Are Possessive
  • Of Darkness and Crowns (Goddess Wars, #2)
  • Vampire Game, Volume 01
  • Red-Hot and Royal
  • Ghost Hunt, Vol. 1 (Ghost Hunt, #1)
  • Mona Lisa Eclipsing  (Monère: Children of the Moon, #5)
  • Marry Me, Maddie
  • My Fair Viking (Viking I, #6)
Simon Holt's writing career began with a horror fanzine in high school the publishing of which overheated the school's photocopier. Undaunted by detention, he's continues to pursue writing ever since. Holt supported himself as a hostel night clerk and a handbag salesman before becoming a full-time novelist. A comic book collector and amateur musician, he makes his home in Chicago.

The Devouring (3 books)
  • The Devouring (The Devouring, #1)
  • Fearscape (The Devouring, #3)
“Cole, for Christ's sake, will you stop staring at me like I'm beefcake of the month?” 13 likes
“I think you inhaled too much lead from those scantron sheets” 8 likes