Start by marking “The Sword of the Lady (Emberverse, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Sword of the Lady (Emberverse, #6)

The Sword of the Lady

(Emberverse #6)

The "New York Times" bestselling author continues his "epic of survival and rebirth" ("Library Journal"), chronicling a modern world without technology.
Rudi Mackenzie has journeyed far across the land that was once the United States of America, hoping to find the source of the world-altering event that has come to be known as The Change. His final destination is Nantucket
Published August 1st 2009 by Roc (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Sword of the Lady, please sign up.
Angela I have found it on a free reading app called "hoopla". Downside to it is that the app doesn't show chapter breaks.

Duffy Pratt
Oct 24, 2009 rated it liked it
The third in a six book series about the quest of Rudi McKenzie and company to retrieve the Sword of the Lady from Nantucket Island, and then somehow use it to defeat the Cutters (Church Universal and Triumphant). I liked it better than the first two installments, but not anywhere near as much as i liked the original Change trilogy, or the Nantucket series.

Things are moving along fairly nicely. We get some very cool glimpses of struggling new societies in a wrecked United States. But I find mys
Kathy Davie
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Sixth in the overall Emberverse apocalyptic science fiction series and revolving around Rudi Mackenzie. It's also the third novel of Emberverse II: The Change. If you're interested, there is a chronological listing of the Emberverse books on my website.

It's August of Change Year 24 (2022 AD), and the expedition has reached Des Moines while Rudi and Edain are heading into the Wild Lands, formerly known as Illinois.

My Take
The story revolves between the "states" that have allied as the Meeting of C
Kristina
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book more than the second one. But it ended with me going "and?!?!?! Now what?!?"
Jess
Dec 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book was exactly like the last one. I feel like the author found something that worked with the first change trilogy, and then, added on, yet, never really progressed. It is predictable, and often times, boring. All of the battle scenes are the same. I kind of felt like, I'd make it two chapters, and there hadn't been a battle, so, a battle there would be, nameless people get hurt, and the good guys always win. I'll probly read the next book, just because I've invested some time in this ser ...more
Anita
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous!The intertwinings of relationships and politics was riveting!
Billy Roper
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this better than the previous books in the Change series because it focused more on progressions post-Balk outside of the PNW and less on the Wiccan bs which mired previous books by Sterling.
Annette
Nov 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Love this series! In this installment, Rudy and the gang fight their way across the Eastern half of the continent for their preordained appointment at Nantucket. As in the last two books, the "CUT" (Church Universal and Triumphant, an organization my husband tells me actually exists - although it is not, to his knowledge, in direct league with the devil) is hot on the group's heels the whole way, with their posessed "seekers" getting creepier and creepier.
David (who read this just before me) al
Starfire
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I don't know whether this was objectively a better-written story than Scourge of God, or whether I was just more in the mood for it, but I found myself enjoying this instalment far more than I did Book 6... and I'm itching to get on with the next one and see how Stirling resolves what he's set up in the last chapter or so of this book.

There were so many things I enjoyed about this instalment - the character development, the descriptions, the sense of *rightness* about the way some of the events
Crystal Sarakas
Nov 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
The continuing sage of Rudi MacKenzie as he makes his way to the Isle of Nantucket to claim the Sword of the Lady. It's a good story in this series by S.M. Stirling, but he is perilously close to falling into that category of author who can write book after book that just continues the plot, never really getting anywhere with it.

Still, there are enough interesting tidbits to keep me reading. Seeing the northeast United States in the post-Change years is fascinating, especially that Asatru seems
Kris
Apr 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Emberverse #6 is more of what I like about this series. The action is consistent and moves the plot along, there some surprises with what happens to the characters, and some of the questions about where the story is going is answered. This is a great set up for the last book where the final action brings all the plot elements to a close. The fantasy elements step up a bit with the sword making an appearance and the evil doer's powers as well. Good stuff!

Edit: did some googling and found out that
Nick
Solid continuation of the now six book series. 2500+ pages I'd strongly recommend this series, but start with Dies the Fire or you'll be confused by the missing history.

This series is unique in SF as it is based on a 'new idea'.

No author beast Stirling in his ability to generate Kiplingesque narrative.

Maddy Barone
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the first book of this series, and the second and third were really good too. This particular one was good, but I don't really like the Cutters and the High Seeker and the religious aspect of it. I'll continue on though becasuse I want to see what happens to Rudi and the others.
Spuddie
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Considering that I listened to the 22-hour audio version of this book, I finished it remarkably quickly. That's because this stellar series is a remarkably-quick-reading story. In this sixth installment, Rudy MacKenzie and his varied and ever-changing troupe continue to wend their way across post-Change (read: post-apocalyptic) America, from Portland Oregon eastward. The beginning of the story finds them in the midwest, still being harried by their arch enemies, the CUT. (Church Universal and Tr ...more
Candice
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At this point in the series, we're 20-odd years past the Change, and the main characters are the children of the main characters we started out with. And they are on A Quest from formerly-Oregon to Nantucket to find The Sword. (If you're not feeling vibes of King Arthur and LotR from that, then I don't know what to tell you because YES, Hero's Journey archetypes all over the damned place. ALL OVER.) This is the second (third? third.) book about their journey and lemme tell you, I despaired of th ...more
Isaac
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I realized there was no way the series was going to end with this book and the thought of reading 4 (?) more books makes me less than excited. Certain things wear thin after a time. Yes, this is an interesting story! However: the level of perfection of Rudi is a bit much, and the elaborately detailed aspects of that perfection get tedious. It's amazing how the main characters are all beautiful and have genetically-unique results from their children, like dark-skinned kids with fair hair and blue ...more
Monical
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A re-read. Picked up this book at a second-hand bookstore as something familiar and engaging. I enjoyed it more this read than perhaps in past readings (as I raced to get to the end to find out what happened!). Stirling is amazingly talented in stringing this story along. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this read for the interesting sociology and characters. (I wish there were some more stories about the development immediately post-change of some of the outlying cities!)
Valarie
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an intense ride! I am even more enthralled by these characters, and I cannot wait for the next book. So very glad it is immediately available from the local library's audio book app on my phone! Nice hook in with another series by the same author, too.
Robin
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another hit in the continuing saga of the Emberverse series. Humor, tears, action and suspense all wrap together nicely in this world of the Change. I look forward to reading the next in the series. Perhaps we'll finally find out what caused the Change to the world.
Kathy Klinge
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
The series is getting better again.
Patrick
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Loses some of the momentum of the past books, although that might have been because I took such a long break after reading the last book.
Philippe
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Read out of sequence but still very well written.
Thor Duffin
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the better books in the series.
Elar
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
A little bit too abrupt ending for the book which otherwise was quite same as two previous books: finding new friends and allies, fighting cutters while searching for mystical sword.
Vickey Foggin
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I think this series is deteriorating as it goes along but I am liking over half of what I read so I will keep going. The characters have become less important - so much so that one cowgirl character that could be interesting is basically limited to saying "yippi-Ki-ay motherfucker" twice and a brief mention that she has been married off to someone and changed her surname . The focus has shifted to religious and political development which I find a bit tedious and wanky. Some of the descriptive l ...more
Carena Wood beimler
I appreciate the continued use of the Mysterious, and how all Mysteries can play. The last chapter I think too much was crammed in. So we spent 640 pages getting from the Midwest to Nantucket. And like 15 pages saying a whole lotta crazy just happened, and now we are going to head back? Maybe should have ended the book on the cliff hanger of about to walk into Nantucket. The crazy people who were chasing them? Kinda stopped mattering.
I'm still in. I'm still going to follow this story w 700 page
Ryan
Jan 12, 2012 rated it liked it
This won't be a long review, so those of you who are tired of this series can relax. It's not that there isn't a lot going on here, obviously there is, I just have to admit I'm really, really bad about reviewing epic fantasy books. Actually, scrap that. It's not the reviewing part I suck at, it's the summing up part that kills me every time.

I'm always a loss to know what to include and what doesn't seem very important. Of course that is a silly predicament to be in, anyone who is a fan of the ge
Thee_ron_clark
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I finally finished reading this today. I must say that Stirling now has me for at least one more book in this series and more than likely has me for the two that I know exist. Although I was hoping that the scenario of the last three books would be resolved here, I am definitely looking forward to seeing what happens beyond this.

Anyway, this book continues to follow the epic of Rudi McKenzie as he treks through post-apocalyptic America in search of a mythical sword and new allies to aid him and
Jason
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it
First read-through
----
I found this book lying around, and thought I'd try something new. S.M. Sterling's The Sword of the Lady is in some ways, something very new. And rare.

Usually when you pick up an epic fantasy six books into the series, you really have no idea what's going on. I didn't feel lost here, which was nice.

Sterling's fantasy is set in a post-apocalyptic world where swaths of the US are uninhabitable, and what's left of the population has carved up into small parts in many differe
Stacey Chancellor
May 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-do-not-own
Chad
Oct 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: neofeudal warlord wannabes.
Shelves: teotwawki
This is one of my favorite series of all time. Armegeddon followed by live-action Dungeons and Dragons! Woot!

This book gets somewhat more metaphysical than previously, with magic and diety intervention becomming more and more common (and powerful). It's like Stirling got bored describing how people would cope with the sudden loss of technology and really just wanted to write a fantasy novel. But it's a well-written action-packed character-driven fantasy novel, so I'm ok with that :P

Unfortunatly,
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• After America (The Disappearance, #2)
  • Drive to the East (Settling Accounts, #2)
  • Directive 51
  • A Mighty Fortress (Safehold, #4)
  • Rising Tides (Destroyermen, #5)
  • Runaways: The Complete Collection, Vol. 3
  • The Last Centurion
  • Belisarius III: The Flames of Sunset (Belisarius, #5-6)
  • Plague War (Plague, #2)
  • Stormtroopers: Beyond the Armor (Star Wars)
  • Uprising (Star Wars Rebel Force, #6)
Stephen Michael Stirling is a French-born Canadian-American science fiction and fantasy author. Stirling is probably best known for his Draka series of alternate history novels and the more recent time travel/alternate history Nantucket series and Emberverse series.

MINI AUTO-BIOGRAPHY:
(personal website: source)

I’m a writer by trade, born in France but Canadian by origin and American by naturalizat

Emberverse (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Dies the Fire (Emberverse, #1)
  • The Protector's War (Emberverse, #2)
  • A Meeting at Corvallis (Emberverse, #3)
  • The Sunrise Lands (Emberverse, #4)
  • The Scourge of God (Emberverse, #5)
  • The High King of Montival (Emberverse, #7)
  • The Tears of the Sun (Emberverse, #8)
  • Lord of Mountains (Emberverse, #9)
  • The Given Sacrifice (Emberverse, #10)
  • The Golden Princess (Emberverse, #11)
“Stress" is mostly the result of not being allowed to kill some asshole you really want to slice and dice.” 7 likes
“Sandra was fond of an old Russian saying: When a man causes you a problem, remember: no man, no problem. 4 likes