Start by marking “The Art of Howl's Moving Castle” as Want to Read:

The Art of Howl's Moving Castle

(Studio Ghibli: The Art of....)

Shortly after reaping the rewards from his movie Spirited Away, a project that earned him an Academy Award in 2003, director Hayao Miyazaki set his sites on his next film, Howl's Moving Castle.Based on the novel by British author Diana Wynne Jones, Howl's Moving Castle gave the internationally renowned director an opportunity to bring to life a fantastical time in 19th cen ...more
Published July 1st 2005 by VIZ Media LLC (first published November 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Howl's Moving Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Howl's Moving Castle

Start your review of The Art of Howl's Moving Castle
Despina | inwhirlofinspiration
description
description
(for more reviews, visit my site's book section here )

Howl's moving castle is set in a world conceived by the late 19th century European neo-futuristic painters where magic and science co-exist. The main idea is that one day a witch of wasteland puts an 18-year-old girl named Sophie under a spell, turning her into a 90-year-old lady. The aged Sophie encounters the wizard Howl and she begins her strange life with Howl in his castle, the formidable walking fortress. The film is based on Howl's moving Castle
Parka
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books, animation
(Picture source: parkablogs.com)

The following summary is useful. It's from the "About this book" section.
This book is a collection of concept sketches, concept art, backgrounds, character designs (including painted versions), and still images for Hayao Miyazaki's animated film, Howl's Moving Castle, based on the book by Diana Wynne Jones. All concept sketches are by Miyazaki. Concept art and backgrounds are by the art staff supervised by art directors Yoji Takeshige and Noboru Yoshida. Character designs are by supervising animato
Andrew
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the second of the Studio Ghibli art work book that i have and like the first it is truly beautiful. This book is based on the film of the same name - its, concept, its art and its script, giving intimate details of how the film came in to being and how it achieved the stunning visual story it is today.

The book is not that complicated to follow really - the title pretty much explains it all. Now for me the appeal of the book is the art, oh do I wish I could be so creative. But the art he
Michael Scott
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Art of Howl's Moving Castle is a book about making full-feature animated movies from the Ghibli collection. This book covers, from Hayao Miyazaki's masterpiece, the initial sketches, the main storyboards, analysis of the key frames/sequences by the supervising animators and other key personnel, a description of the computer-generated effects (CG) by both their authors and their users, and the full script.

In few words sprinkled in-between well-selected images, we get to learn how many of the main elements w
Sara
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love this book because I love Studio Ghibli films and I love Howl's Moving Castle, so it's natural that I like anything related to that. I think Hayao Miyazaki's work is fantastic, and the artwork is really beautiful, which is why I gave it four stars. Fair warning then, my review is biased. The reason why there is a star missing, is because the artwork is beautiful but it's mostly stills from the film. 60% to 70% of the book is mostly things you've seen in the film. While the film is beautifu ...more
Alexander Curran
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
''It's all so familiar yet I know I've never been here before. I feel so at home.''

When an unconfident young woman is cursed with an old body by a spiteful witch, her only chance of breaking the spell lies with a self-indulgent yet insecure young wizard and his companions in his legged, walking home.

Hauru no ugoku shiro(2004), known to us as Howl's Moving Castle was greeted with numerous reviews not equaling those that Spirited Away received, which is understandable yet undeserving
Michelle Villa
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness the art work was magnificent! I loved reading some of the process that qas taken to create the movie!
Sonia Jarmula
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A beautiful examination of one of my favourite Miyazaki films.
Anna Lina
love love love this.
Abdulaziz Al-Mannai
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book! The art is of the highest quality, gives you insight into what went through the creators minds while making it for those interested in such details.
Great book for fans, and great reference for those interested in drawing/designing characters and environment.
Jack Shanks
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was incredible to see the sketches and drafts for each of the scenes from the anime, especially after recently completing the novel by Diana Wynne Jones. I will be rewatching the film some time in the near future, for sure!

Reading about the processes that went into making such a beautiful film was incredible! None of this animation was done by half, there was so much thought into even the smallest details that I never even thought about when watching the final product.
The number of
Jade
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
This extensive and magnificent artbook is a part of the Studio Ghibli Library, and features anything and everything related to Hayao Miyazaki’s animated feature Howl’s Moving Castle (2004). As is to be expected from a Studio Ghibli Library book, it contains many beautiful colour pages filled with concept art, stills from the film, character designs, posters, and more. It definitely serves as a very inspiring and captivating coffee table book.

Scattered among the many illustrations and art pieces are brief
Molly
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Doesn't matter if you are (I am) Hayao Miyazaki's fan or not, this book is gorgeous.
Nadia Fong
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE howls moving castle its so cool! Turnip head is so funny!!!
delaney
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My only complaint: there wasn't a blown-up picture of the last shot before the credits! Darn it. >__>
Zheena
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Zheena by: Matthew Ho
Shelves: owned
The Art of Howl's Moving Castle is filled with incredible and beautiful art work. With tidbits of information from the creators of the movie on how they brought the story of Howl's Moving Castle to life from sketches to the big screen.
Now if you'd excuse me I need to go and watch this movie one more time...
Elizabeth
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed learning about all the work that goes into making animated movies. The detail on some of the backgrounds was extraordinary. I also enjoyed the insight into Japanese art and culture - like how the artists were very aware of the difference between Japanese colours and landscapes and Western ones.
thebakedbook
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
My only complaint is that there wasn't more! I would have loved more Sophie and Turniphead and Witch of the Waste and Howl. This was such a delight to read. Highly recommended for people just starting out in manga
Lycoris Radiatta
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is awesome and the movie is also great. Love the drawings painted with watercolors. However, I was expecting more information about the process of making the animation. There are very few pages in which talks a little about it. I want more designs, sketches, ideas and so on.
typewriterdeluxe
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy this book every time I return to it. It's so beautiful and you can enjoy it as 'shallowly' or 'deeply' as you want. The Art of Howl's Moving Castle is filled with film stills and background art, concept sketches and storyboards, interviews with different team members from the project, and concludes with the complete screenplay.
Hà Nhi
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-possession
So lovely to see the behind the scenes!
Noor Ali
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Stunning! I'm obsessed with the book/movie and I'd read anything related to this franchise.
Q-Q
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favs. Too bad I bought it in Japanese and I can’t understand a word 🙂
Emmy MW
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must-have for any fan of the movie.
Kris
"Before we began working on this film, Miyazaki didn't specifically discuss the direction for this film, but his storyboards are so accomplished you can grasp his approach as long as you examine them closely." (Kitaro Kosada, Supervising Animator) (p. 143)

"Miyazaki would say, "Maybe like this, or something like this," and then he would end up drawing everything. In the end, he declared, "I'll assume full responsibility (laughter)." (Takeshi Inamura, Supervising Animator) (p. 45)
Luz
May 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Alright, Howl's moving castle may be my favorite movie ever, as I have watched it a million times and I end up crying and loving it more everytime, the first time I watched it I was 14, before I knew anything about animation, design, studio ghibli or else and of course over these past 8 years I have learn a fucking ton about the topics as I became more interested in all of them.

I foully ordered this book later last year after a lot of time wanting to read it.

So, to be honest I'm a little disap
Amy
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The complexity of the landscape and the character design is astonishing. Pretty much all the characters in every Miyazaki film all have the same look in terms of character design. Just the hair and slight shape of head and how tall they are change but aside from that, the face is always the same shape. The costumes and how they each move from one another is completely different. The landscape/buildings all have a sort of European look to them but none of these places actually exist. The motorcar ...more
Hanna Ray
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-13-25
Sophie (the main character) gets a curse put on her in the beginning of the book that causes her to become an old lady. Since she believed there was no point in her staying where she lived after becoming old she went to Howls' Moving Castle and became a cleaning lady for him. There is a war going on and everyone is trying to get all the wizards to participate in it. Howl also has a curse on him that makes him weaker when he goes out to fight. Sophie tries to break the curse and Howl tries to bre ...more
Beth
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing

Okay so of course there wasn't a lot of words but I had loved the story of Howl's moving castle so much I just had to get this book. For all the beautiful scenes you only see swiftly in the film there are dozens of illustrations for them. From very basic grasps on characters to the finest details.. Everything is in there! It also helps me draw anime and I've even attempted drawing the castle itself! Of course I won't use it much now, but if I ever don't feel very happy.. This beautiful book ch
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Anime Art of Hayao Miyazaki
  • The Art of Brave
  • Drawing Down the Moon: The Art of Charles Vess
  • The Art of Ratatouille
  • The Art of Monsters, Inc.
  • The Art of Up
  • CLAMPノ絵シゴト North Side
  • The Art of How to Train Your Dragon
  • The Art of Fullmetal Alchemist
  • The Art of Rise of the Guardians
  • Animation (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series)
  • Tale as Old as Time: The Art and Making of Beauty and the Beast
  • Dream Worlds: Production Design for Animation
  • The Art of Wreck-It Ralph
宮崎 駿

Hayao Miyazaki was born in Tokyo on January 5, 1941. He started his career in 1963 as an animator at the studio Toei Douga, and was subsequently involved in many early classics of Japanese animation. From the beginning, he commanded attention with his incredible ability to draw, and the seemingly-endless stream of movie ideas he proposed.

In 1971, he moved to A Pro with Isao

Studio Ghibli: The Art of.... (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Anime Art of Hayao Miyazaki