Start by marking “Copywriting: Successful Writing for Design, Advertising, and Marketing” as Want to Read:
Copywriting: Successful Writing for Design, Advertising, and Marketing

Copywriting: Successful Writing for Design, Advertising, and Marketing

Creating effective copywriting is of vital importance in today's design and communication industries. Well-targeted copy and a strong brand voice are essential if you want to stand out from the competition.

Copywriting shows how to write for all formats and contexts, from catalogs and products to advertising and websites. It explores the challenges of commercial writing, pr
Published February 18th 2009 by Laurence King Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Copywriting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Copywriting

Start your review of Copywriting: Successful Writing for Design, Advertising, and Marketing
Jin Kok
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
A must have!

This book is indispensable, packed with good advice for immediate use: such as the importance of having a

(1) word bank that enriches your command of expressing at the tip of your finger tips.
Such as when maybe you want to capture the beauty of the person whom you admire:

Perhaps you can describe the hair: scintillating, lustrous, Pompadours.
As example.

Or to describe food: delectable dishes and thirst quenching concoctions.
As example.

Words are powerful and they are very much mind stim
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
This is one of those timely books that happens to enter my life at just the right time. It’s proven to be extremely helpful for me in my professional capacity as a creative director, especially as I begin to work on more branding projects. This will definitely be a go-to reference for me from now on! It lives up to its title.

As someone who’s always enjoyed writing for fun and who designs for a living, reading this book made me feel like I’d found my people, and has helped me realize that I’m as
Юлия Лагирева
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Минимум воды, максимум информации. Все переварить сразу трудно, если вообще возможно. Поэтому Copywriting можно читать не целиком, а по разделам, которые нужны для работы. Так в голове остается намного больше.
А вообще, книга - супер! И для копирайтеров, и для всех остальных, кому нужно писать коммерческий текст.
Rolando
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very useful title. You can navigate from chapters jumping through the topic you need. It's a good source of technical knowledge for a writer starting a project in a different field he/she is used to.
But don't expect a great deal in digital marketing, in case you're a seasoned digital person.
Alvaro Berrios
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Good for how to work with clients and structure a process of writing successful copy (includes a lot of useful templates). Not so good when it comes to actual writing tips and implementing well-documented and time-tested psychological techniques for writing words that influence people.
Lacer
Apr 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read as revision for a job interview. It’s a succinct guide with lots of useful case studies. For me personally, I could have done with a few more non-corporate examples but as most copywriting is corporate, I can understand why this is the focus.
Anna Bautista
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
So much high praise for this book especially that I had no background whatsoever in copywriting so this was of great help. I can see this book as something I’d go back to every now and then when I need a little help for work
Ashley
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend this to anyone who is driven to capture an audience's attention. Shaw has presented the different facets of writing a copy in various mediums without sounding dry and monotonous. The case studies presented add value and allow readers to better envision the strategies used.
Aleesha Bass
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: career
If you're starting with no background in copywriting like I was, I think this is a great place to start. It doesn't go as in depth in some topics as I would have liked it to, but it covers a lot.
JT
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
George Davidson
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marketing
Good basic copywriter
Matt
Great print advice, but I did find the Web chapter particularly atrocious.
Ruchir Gandhi
Álvaro Fernández
7/10
Corey
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good tips - I recommend if you have to write for other humans.
Daniele
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ottimo libro (in inglese) che dà molti spunti utili per i copy alle prime armi in diversi settori (digitale, cataloghi, pubblicità...). Una lettura interessante
Marta Kule
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I brought this book from the library, tossed it on the bookshelf and didn't open for three weeks because the cover reminded me of some boring textbooks from the '80s. And then I finally opened it and gasped. It is BEAUTIFULLY designed (save for the cover). It looks like an art catalogue. Go look inside: http://www.laurenceking.com/en/catego...

All Laurence King books are visually exciting. I'm waiting for another one to arrive at the library just to feed my eyes with it.

As someone with no knowled
Matt
Apr 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing, reviewed
What Shaw seems to have not considered is that copywriters don't like to read small print (and lots and lots of it) any more than the average consumer does. Be concise, clear, and get to the point quickly. That's the basis of copywriting (at least in my experience). There is some good advice in here, but you have to wade awhile. One other reviewer says 30% bing! and 70% blah and I tend to agree. I leafed through and read passages at random when I bought it, but it mostly just sits on the shelf n ...more
Priscilla
Mar 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fab book. Beautiful examples in branding and copy writing. Other reviewers got it right about wading through a lot to get to the good stuff. There is a lot of repetition, but it's basically a text book, so it's all about reenforcing what you've learned. Need to go through and do the exercises now!
Raylene
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Insightful. Especially liked the blurbs on writing for different kinds of communication. Exercises seem useful.
Nellie
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book to look at as well as read. Great examples of good copywriting and lots of good tips and guidelines.
Elfitra Augustin
Jan 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creative-minds
My first copywriting books. Surely has an amazing useful example in real life campaign and ads. Bravo!
Alvin
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
it really is the same advice over and over at some level, but there are some unique insights depending on what medium you're writing for. easy to read, great case studies
M
Sep 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
I read most of this. Much of it did not address what I wanted.
Meredith
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a solid copywriting textbook or guide for any new copywriter. The chapters are filled with real-world examples from ad campaigns around the world, including one of my own.
Hannah (jellicoereads)
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Wonderfully helpful copywriting guide with specific advice and steps, chapter summaries, both UK and US examples, and practice exercises.
Skye
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! Tons of helpful advice and easy to follow plans and checklists to get you started. Loved the examples and case studies, and will probably come back to refer to this guide again.
Thu Nga
xcz
Jessica
Aug 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-work
70% blah, 30% bing.
Michael Staten
Jul 13, 2009 rated it liked it
a really good overview of copywriting

• Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
  • Ogilvy on Advertising
  • Marketing 4.0: Moving from Traditional to Digital
  • Graphic Design Thinking: Beyond Brainstorming
  • How to Read a Paper: The Basics of Evidence-Based Medicine
  • How to Write Better Copy
  • Beyond Sizzle: The Next Evolution of Branding
  • Daring to Compete: How 7 Drivers of Growth Accelerate Entrepreneurs to Market Leadership
  • Smarter, Sharper Thinking: Reduce Stress, Banish Fatigue and Find Focus
  • Everyday Bias: Identifying and Navigating Unconscious Judgments in Our Daily Lives
  • Do Business Better: Traits, Habits, and Actions To Help You Succeed
  • Strive: How Doing The Things Most Uncomfortable Leads to Success
  • Exactly How to Sell: The Sales Guide for Non-Sales Professionals
  • Social Media for Fashion Marketing: Storytelling in a Digital World
  • They Ask You Answer: A Revolutionary Approach to Inbound Sales, Content Marketing, and Today's Digital Consumer
  • The Elements of Style
  • Don Juan Tenorio
  • The City We Became (Great Cities #1)
For Mark A. Shaw, growing up in the concrete, urban environment of Baltimore, Maryland only cultivated a stronger appreciation for that which he had little of –wilderness and countryside. It also fostered in him a vibrant imagination and captivating creativity, and he began crafting stories in his mind at an early age. Mark draws his inspiration from a lifetime of adventures – from his childhood p ...more

News & Interviews

“Most of us find it easy to knock things. We always know what we don't like, and we tend to highlight problems and issues rather than build on the elements that we do like.” 1 likes