Start by marking “Night Magic” as Want to Read:
Night Magic

Night Magic

WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE A SECRET AGENT?

Author Clara Winston was snuggling in for the night when the strange men burst into her carriage house apartment. Terrified, she couldn't make sense of their heavy Russian accents, but they seemed to be demanding the whereabouts of the "real" Magic Dragon -- the one she had dedicated her last romance novel to. "Under the b
Trade Paperback, 373 pages
Published July 1st 2003 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Night Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Magic

Zeek
After all these years, I still seriously enjoyed this one. One of my old favs from the 80's, Night Magic features an almost washed up super spy and a plucky romance novelist thrust together because of the big bad Soviets- that's Russians for the youngin's. (Interesting how Russians still feature prominently as bad guys in many a romance novel, however now as drug dealer/mobsters rather than enemies of the States. These guys do bad good I guess.)

John "Jack" McClain is all but out of t
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
This was a blast from the past, classic 1980's romantic suspense. With a theme which immediately reminded me of the movie "Romancing the Stone" with Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas and the hero's name John McClain so again I'm thinking of Bruce Willis aka John McClane from Die Hard it was full of amusing clichés so common to books written in this time. Big bad KGB agents, a ladylike heroine sexually restrained till she met our intrepid hero and of course the obligatory sex on the run scene w ...more
gina~*
Robards at her best in my humble opinion. I love when she writes books where the main characters are being chased by bad guys and have to survive in the wilderness... When I picked this book up I wasn't really too excited about the whole KGB angle but Robards is my favorite author so I said what the hell.... I certainly was not disapointed. I couldn't put it down and finished it in one sitting.
jenjn79
Rating - 3.5 / 5

I enjoyed this book to a certain extent. I think you can definitely tell, though, that it is one of Robards early romantic suspense novels. It doesn't have the polish and solid romance that her later books have.

The book focuses mostly on the character of Clara, a romance writer who suddenly finds her life in danger because some Russian bad guys think she knows where CIA agent Jack McClain is hiding. Clara had never heard of Jack, let alone met him, until a
Jessica
Feb 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Pure disappointment and fury was what I felt reading this book on every single page. Jack was no hero and anyone who finds him worthy of being called that must be over fifty by now because this is NOT what a woman of today's generation would fall in love with. This man was the epitome of what the average woman today would turn her nose up at, walk right on by him, and never look back because there are plenty of options and she knows that she can do better. This book was absolutely terrible and I ...more
Sylvia Proctor
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Storyline kept you riveted
Ann
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so this was written in the 80’s, meaning the hero is way more alpha macho than anyone would write today. But the description of the book was so funny to me, I had to read it. Romance author dedicates a book to her cat, Puff (the magic dragon), which turns out to be the code name for a CIA agent. Next thing we know, Russian spies are chasing our hero, heroine, and Puff the cat.
Jane Thomson
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was very fond of the characters from the outset. The plot had enough twists and turns to keep the reader engaged.
Tammy Walton Grant
I'm going to give this book the same rating that I did for Walking After Midnight, because I think they are virtually the same book. Same action hero type main character - not handsome but with a "pugnacious" jaw, covered with bruises and with a smoking hot body. Same running away from bad guys non-stop for most of the book, same on-the-run danger sex with the hero, same ridiculous HEA, same, same, same. Same sexist comments from hero about liking big tits and a round ass. Jeez.

There are a few of Ms. Ro
Judi
Dec 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Night Magic for me was all things I enjoy in a book. This book may have been a re-issue, but if I read it in 1987 I sure don’t recall doing so. This book was a roller-coaster ride of fun and hair-raising non-stop action.

CIA agent John McClain and romance novelist Clara Winston who in a case of mistaken identity is thrust into the adventure of a lifetime on the run from the police, the government and ruthless KGB agents.

John and Clare couldn’t be more different but when forced to dep
Miki
Jun 14, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-read-again
This is one of the worst '80's romances I've read. It borders on ludicrousness (if that's even a word), with spies, murder, kidnapping, torture, escape, betrayal...I don't believe ANYTHING was left out of this one, including a scene where the H/H are held captive in a semi trailer, waiting for their captors to return, so of course they have sex. They also have sex while they're on the run, sex in the hospital (while he's recovering from a gunshot wound to the chest!), and sex after he leaves the ...more
Angelica
Mar 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-keepers
Night Magic is all about Puff! (ah, a teaser to read the book!) Robards is an outstanding author of quick, funny reads. I enjoy her earlier work more because of her wit than the latter offerings of labored contemporary suspense. Consider this a cross between Romancing the Stone and ...well, any romantic comedy that leaves you rolling with laughter. Where else can you have a hero that's allergic to cats?
Sasha Devlin
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Found a reprint of this at Christmas and snatched it up! I LOVE this story and now can reread it whenever I want instead of stalking the library.
Romance writer, Clara Winston, is completely shocked and confused, when criminals break into her home, demanding she give them the location of someone she has never heard of. She manages to escape into the fields outside her house, when she runs into CIA agent, Jack McClain, who is just as suspicious of her as she is of him. Knowing nothing about each other or why the criminals believe they have a connection, Clara and Jack make a run for it together. Although Clara and Jack initially seem to de ...more
Teresa J. Young
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast action and strong passion

Clara is a successful romance writer who accidentally uses Jack's code name in her last book's title. Jack is a CIA agent who is working a case about a high level mole for the KGB in the US government. Clara gets identified as his girlfriend and kidnapped by KGB agents. Jack tries to rescue her and it's an all out chase across the countryside while their attraction grows.
Marianne
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
First time with this author and I’m not likely to read another.
Yes, I know the her has emerald colored eyes. Yes, I know he’s a manly man! For goodness sake , I don’t need to be told every other page! And those escapes? Unbelievable! IMO, not a very well written book.
Louise Mullins
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A strong female protagonist, a sexy CIA agent, the KGB after them, authoritative corruption and lots of sex. This is an oldie style romantic suspense with far more thrills than your average crime fiction.
Jeanine
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It kept me entertained from page one. Karen Robard does not disappoint. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a good romantic suspense book!
Linda
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this action/suspense story. Strong characters that jump off the page--though not as crazy for the alpha type hero, drama, action, and who would not love Puff?! This was a quick read for me as I rushed to the ending. The romance and suspense made for an exciting read.
Kathy Bunbury
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling and unpredictable

This story keeps you on your toes as circumstances change with lightening speed. An adrenaline rush punctuated with some sensual, sizzling moments. A good thriller with a good dose of romance thrown in.
KDS
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
There is no excuse for all the typos in this book.
Jeni
May 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didn't even finish this book because it is the same storyline as "Walking After Midnight", with a few slight changes to characters. I normally love Karen Robards, but this book was disappointing.
Serena
Jul 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: basicbitch
1.5/5. I couldn't really get into the body shaming and Jack's general douchbaggery.
Jess Schira
Started out great, but than it fizzled. I did like the character of Claire and I adored Puff, but never warmed up to Jack. Some great action scenes.
Cat Murphy
Jack is a real jerk. The typos are quite ridiculous. The ending with her chasing after him is not realistic. I recommend finding something else to read.
Mary
Jan 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Thankfully I got this from our library!
Eileen Gernet
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting

Book was a real page turner. A bit too much more fire me, but I still couldn't put it down.
Nancy
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fond memories of this book but it has been many years..the white cat made for some funny bits. I would like to reread.
David Leemon
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I guess if you like secret agent romance, this might be the book for you.
Day Braun
Needs an editor

This story was interesting, but predictable. I've never read such a poorly edited book. It spoiled the reading for me.
« previous 1 3 next »

• River of Eden
  • Don't Call Her Angel
  • Hot Text
  • Prairie Moon
  • A Just Deception (Private Protectors, #3)
  • Fight or Flight
  • Midnight Rainbow (Rescues, #1)
  • Wanted (Deadly Secrets #2)
  • Edge of Survival
  • Sweet Revenge (New Orleans Trilogy, #2)
  • Guilty as Sin (Dead Wrong, #4)
  • Pursuit
Karen Robards is the New York Times, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly bestselling author of more than fifty books and one novella. She has won multiple awards including six Affaire de Coeur Silver Pen Awards for favorite author.
Karen has been writing since she was very young, and was first published nationally in the December 1973 Reader's Digest. She sold her first romance novel, ISLAND FLA
“you. Can you tell us your name, give us the name of” 0 likes