Start by marking “Night Magic” as Want to Read:
Night Magic

Night Magic

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  1,270 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE A SECRET AGENT?

Author Clara Winston was snuggling in for the night when the strange men burst into her carriage house apartment. Terrified, she couldn't make sense of their heavy Russian accents, but they seemed to be demanding the whereabouts of the "real" Magic Dragon -- the one she had dedicated her last romance novel to. "Under the bed," she man
Trade Paperback, 373 pages
Published July 1st 2003 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Night Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Magic

Zeek
After all these years, I still seriously enjoyed this one. One of my old favs from the 80's, Night Magic features an almost washed up super spy and a plucky romance novelist thrust together because of the big bad Soviets- that's Russians for the youngin's. (Interesting how Russians still feature prominently as bad guys in many a romance novel, however now as drug dealer/mobsters rather than enemies of the States. These guys do bad good I guess.)

John "Jack" McClain is all but out of the spy busin
jenjn79
Rating - 3.5 / 5

I enjoyed this book to a certain extent. I think you can definitely tell, though, that it is one of Robards early romantic suspense novels. It doesn't have the polish and solid romance that her later books have.

The book focuses mostly on the character of Clara, a romance writer who suddenly finds her life in danger because some Russian bad guys think she knows where CIA agent Jack McClain is hiding. Clara had never heard of Jack, let alone met him, until after the Russians busted
gina~*
Robards at her best in my humble opinion. I love when she writes books where the main characters are being chased by bad guys and have to survive in the wilderness... When I picked this book up I wasn't really too excited about the whole KGB angle but Robards is my favorite author so I said what the hell.... I certainly was not disapointed. I couldn't put it down and finished it in one sitting.
Tammy Walton Grant
I'm going to give this book the same rating that I did for Walking After Midnight, because I think they are virtually the same book. Same action hero type main character - not handsome but with a "pugnacious" jaw, covered with bruises and with a smoking hot body. Same running away from bad guys non-stop for most of the book, same on-the-run danger sex with the hero, same ridiculous HEA, same, same, same. Same sexist comments from hero about liking big tits and a round ass. Jeez.

There are a few
Jessica
Feb 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Pure disappointment and fury was what I felt reading this book on every single page. Jack was no hero and anyone who finds him worthy of being called that must be over fifty by now because this is NOT what a woman of today's generation would fall in love with. This man was the epitome of what the average woman today would turn her nose up at, walk right on by him, and never look back because there are plenty of options and she knows that she can do better. This book was absolutely terrible and I ...more
Judi
Dec 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Night Magic for me was all things I enjoy in a book. This book may have been a re-issue, but if I read it in 1987 I sure don’t recall doing so. This book was a roller-coaster ride of fun and hair-raising non-stop action.

CIA agent John McClain and romance novelist Clara Winston who in a case of mistaken identity is thrust into the adventure of a lifetime on the run from the police, the government and ruthless KGB agents.

John and Clare couldn’t be more different but when forced to depend on each
Angelica
Mar 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-keepers
Night Magic is all about Puff! (ah, a teaser to read the book!) Robards is an outstanding author of quick, funny reads. I enjoy her earlier work more because of her wit than the latter offerings of labored contemporary suspense. Consider this a cross between Romancing the Stone and ...well, any romantic comedy that leaves you rolling with laughter. Where else can you have a hero that's allergic to cats?
Sasha Devlin
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Found a reprint of this at Christmas and snatched it up! I LOVE this story and now can reread it whenever I want instead of stalking the library.
Nancy
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fond memories of this book but it has been many years..the white cat made for some funny bits. I would like to reread.
Maureen
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, romance
In dire, dire need of an editor. So many errors.
Mary Ulm
Apr 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As a rule I love Karen's books, but for some reason I didn't connect to this book. Don't think I will finish the book, I lost interest in it.
Wendelyn Wilkes
Editing, please

I love Karen Robards' books. I luckily discovered her first book, when it came out and have been a fan every since. I have Night Magic in my book library, but I couldn't find it, so I decided to buy the ebook version.

The story still held my attention, but the poor editing almost ruined my experience. Poor spell check, dialogues from two separate characters run together, questionable punctuation.

So, while I highly recommend Night Magic (5 stars), get it in paperback to have a tru
Kelly Moran
Nov 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
Author Karen Robards is a NY Times bestseller and one of the best known names in romance today. She has won numerous awards, including three Affaire de Coeur Silver Pen Awards for favorite romance author. Other titles include: Guilty, Obsession, Vanished, Superstition, Wild Orchids, To Love A Man, and Dark Torment. She resides with her family in Louisville, Kentucky.

When romance writer Clara Winston has her home broken into and she’s forced to put her safety into the hands of a stranger, her li
Rafelina
The only reason I finished this book was because I've promised myself that I will finish every book I start. Even with that promise in mind, I skimped a lot of this book. I just wanted it to end already. There were a lot of typos and I didn't exactly buy the plot. Even so if you want to force yourself to be entertain then read this book.
Linda Morris
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Let's get a few things out of the way. This book was originally written in the late 80s. (It's now been reissued as an ebook, thank heavens.) The story is dated and has to be read as a late-eighties period piece. The USSR still exists, cellphones and the World Wide Web don't, and a PC with a modem is heady technology that only a few government agencies have.
And yes, the hero is pretty macho by today's standards. He calls the heroine "baby" a few times and a couple of other less flattering thing
Candace
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it

This book drew me in mostly because of the cat – I know it sounds ridiculous! But I have cats and some of the antics remind me of my life. I thought what better way to lose myself in a book that I can relate to on a personal level. I didn’t really understand the KGB angle as I was only a few years old when the book was written so it took me a little while longer to get interested than normal. But once the story turned to Clara and Puff (love him!), my intrigue kept the pages turning!

The charact
Carolyn F.
I'm so surprised that the narrator Renee Maxwell only did this one book. Her narration was excellent and unless something was happening in the studio that I'm not aware of, she definitely should have done many more audiobooks.

Here's what a more articulate reviewer had to say about her narration of this book: "This fast-paced romance receives superlative interpretation by Renee Maxwell. Her range of voices is impressive (even down to Clara's cat, who has a major role in the story). Her Russian a
Miki
Jun 14, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-read-again
This is one of the worst '80's romances I've read. It borders on ludicrousness (if that's even a word), with spies, murder, kidnapping, torture, escape, betrayal...I don't believe ANYTHING was left out of this one, including a scene where the H/H are held captive in a semi trailer, waiting for their captors to return, so of course they have sex. They also have sex while they're on the run, sex in the hospital (while he's recovering from a gunshot wound to the chest!), and sex after he leaves the ...more
Black Butterfly
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: AMAZON
Shelves: mystery-romance
I'M REALLY, REALLY SURPRISED, AT MYSELF THAT IS. WHEN I STARTED READING I SERIOUSLY WAS GOING TO GIVE UP ON TRYING TO FINISH IT. I'M SO GLAD I KEPT READING, AFTER CLARA & PUFF WERE INTRODUCED INTO THE STORY (got my reading motor reeved up). I TRULY AM A CAT LOVER AND AFTER MEETING "PUFF" I WAS HOOKED (big time). THE BOOK GOT GOING AND THE FUN BEGAN, I WAS CRACKIN UP, LOL, JACK & CLARA, WONFERFUL. THIS WOULD MAKE A GREAT MOVIE, REMINDED ME OF "THE AFRICAN QUEEN" (Hepburn & Bogart) OR ...more
Mary
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: adventure fans, Karen Robards fans, romance lovers
Recommended to Mary by: It's a Karen Robards
Shelves: romance
Love this book! I have to read it every little bit. I love Puff, I love how she frustrates Jack, I love their escape, I love how Puff helps them get away.

So many little things that make this book special. His allergy to cats makes him more human, the skills he has that help them on their run, how she stands up to him. I love how they spark off each other. So many times during their run I went from laughing to nail biting tension. There are a couple climactic scenes near the end - they are safe,
Robin Brennan
This is a favorite, that I re-read and enjoy each time. Maybe it shouldn't be listed, but having just enjoyed it again...couldn't resist. Actually had the above edition which totally fell apart and got replaced with the 2009 edition. Since 2009 edition wasn't listed, I went with the original. Love the humor mixed in with the suspense. The cat, Puff, has me chuckling, perhaps because it reminds me of several cats who've owned me. The relatinship that develops between Jack and Clara, as a bond for ...more
Ria
Sep 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, suspense
I was originally going to opt for 2 stars, but I hated the ending so much I dropped it down to the dreaded 1 star. When I found out about this book forever ago, I thought it sounded like a fun Romancing the Stone knock-off (even sticking with the same name for the 'hero'). It was not. Two unlikeable characters in a laborious and undercooked plot, I just did not care about these people and as stated, the ending aimed for cute and just came across as rushed and needlessly saccharine. Ugh, holiday ...more
Patricia
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2-times
This book is "on hold" because I have misplaced it! As soon as I find it, I will finish the book. What I've read is great.
Finally found the book! As I got into it I realized that I had read this book before. the second reading was just as exciting as the first time I read it. Lots of fun in the book with a very "hep" cat! Very entertaining. Four stars instead of five only because it is a shorter story. Well worth reading.
Avon Gale
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nostalgia-ho
Another book on my nostalgia shelf, because this is one of the books I remember re-reading about a million times. Spies! Harrowing adventures! Plucky heroine! Overwrought sex scenes! Loved it. Haven't read it in years, but I'm happy to keep it firmly in my memory as one of those books I loved to death as a young adult. I grew up to be a romance novelist, and it's books like this that paved the way :)
Nancy Reynolds
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great romance and suspense in one book. I thought this was a great story - from the very first page to the last. I totally enjoyed the verbal fencing between the heroine and hero - that they didn't exactly get along from the first. And the pace was fast and furious. I totally enjoyed this book and will look forward to reading more of Karen Robards books. They are always guaranteed to be a exciting trip!
penelopewanders
So, my suitcase got lost and I finished the book I had while I was travelling... so I went to a thrift shop the next morning here in Glasgow and picked up something I thought would be light and entertaining. Hmm, wrong call, as this starts off with the hero being beaten and (the bad guys hope) drowned. And it continues from there. Somewhere along the line a rather unlikely female heroine enters the mix. The book was fairly entertaining, but I can't say it was my favorite type of comic relief.
Lhenry
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you like non stop action - this would be a good choice for you. SIncve I do like the action I found it a fun read. The humor with the cat was fun too. Didn't realize when I chose it that it's from 1987 but it still works. Nowadays they would hiding a thmb drive instead of mircrofilm and fight terrorists instead of the Soviets, but the formula is tried and true after all and well executed in this novel.
Ducky
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the first book I've read by Karen Robards. I generally avoid romance novels, but I needed something to read and this one was available. The cover of the book gave no clue of the adventure awaiting me in its pages. The novel takes the heroine and her mystery man through a series of escapades reminiscent of Romancing the Stone, yet different enough to be its own unique story. It was definitely a fun read. I'll be looking for more books by Karen Robards.
Mary
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun adventure that kept me on the edge of my seat throughout every page. Clare, a romance writer, finds herself in explicitly involved in international intrigue. Her 'hero' Jack keeps them mostly ahead of the bad guys. In the midst of this chase the chemistry between the two keeps things interesting.
Arii
Mar 06, 2012 rated it liked it
I normally enjoy her books but I was quite disappointed in this one (You can tell it's one of her earlier works). Storyline was very predictable and unrealistic in some scenarios. The chemistry between the characters seemed superficial. While Jack isn't your typical hero he really has little to no redeeming qualities in my opinion. His sexist comments added nothing to the storyline.
  • Still Lake
  • Her Own Best Enemy
  • Fight or Flight
  • Undercover Lovers
  • River of Eden
  • Edge of Survival
  • A Just Deception (Private Protectors, #3)
  • Worth the Trip
  • Don't Look Back
  • Midnight Rainbow (Rescues, #1)
  • Sweet Revenge (New Orleans Trilogy, #2)
  • Don't Call Her Angel
  • Wild Encounter
  • Protecting Paige (Serve and Protect, #3)
  • Prairie Moon
  • Wanted (Deadly Secrets #2)
  • Fade To Midnight (McClouds & Friends, #7)
Karen Robards is the New York Times, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly bestselling author of more than fifty books and one novella. She has won multiple awards including six Affaire de Coeur Silver Pen Awards for favorite author.
Karen has been writing since she was very young, and was first published nationally in the December 1973 Reader's Digest. She sold her first romance novel, ISLAND FLAME, wh
More about Karen Robards...

“you. Can you tell us your name, give us the name of” 0 likes