Start by marking “Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1)” as Want to Read:
Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1)

Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces #1)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  6,150 Ratings  ·  425 Reviews
Ray Lilly is living on borrowed time. He's the driver for Annalise Powliss, a high-ranking member of the Twenty Palace Society, a group of sorcerers devoted to hunting down and executing rogue magicians. But because Ray betrayed her once, Annalise is looking for an excuse to kill him - or let someone else do the job.

Unfortunately for both of them, Annalise's next mission g
Mass Market Paperback, 343 pages
Published September 29th 2009 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Child of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Child of Fire

Carol.
Apr 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Dresden fans and Dresden almost-fans
Making your way in the world today takes everything you got... Making my way through the UF canon takes everything I got...

Jim Butcher and Laurell K. Hamilton have a lot to answer for, specifically, for achieving a level of commercial success that has spawned a host of imitators. Child of Fire is one of the later entries into the urban fantasy field, first in a short-lived series of three books.

Dresden is the obvious comparison here, but not for the reasons you might think. On the surface, not t
Felicia
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-paranormal
NO ROMANCE YEAH!!! I took a left turn and went straight urban fantasy for this book and YES I really really really enjoyed it! Here's the tale of an ex-con sucked into guarding a sorceror who's part of a secret society to oppress bad magicians from popping up in the world abusing magic (the bad guys have very Lovecraftian overtones). The book is set in a creepy small town they're investigating where children are dying in horrible ways but everyone is magicked into not knowing. I have to say, the ...more
Miriam
Oct 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure, fantasy

This book started off strong -- I wanted to find out more about the backstory, what the Twenty Palaces were, how Ray became entangled with them, what Annalise's story was, why the kids were being burnt into worms of smoke -- but kind of sagged when they got to town and had repetitive encounters with the locals. Similarly, I liked that Connolly created the opportunity for ethical questions to be raised, but then was disappointed that not much was done in regards to those issues.

Reasonably enterta
Amanda
Aug 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Amanda by: Goodreads Giveaway
I am a Romance Novel reader, I love the mushy, gushy, touchy, lovey stuff, which none of this is included in the book. This book had me running around like a chicken with my head cut off for the fist hundred pages, I just couldn't figure it out, which of course made me want to read more and one by one the pieces were placed in to give you a little taste just enough to keep you wanting more. It was so surprising to me how well written and fast pased this book was. When I first signed up for the g ...more
Lisa Reads & Reviews
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, fantasy
After the first couple of scenes I nearly put the book away thinking it would be senseless schlock. That may sound a bit cruel, but really - a child bursting into flames, and worms, and a fight with a couple in a station wagon, with a baby in the back, may foreshadow an action-packed story, but I was in the mood for something more interesting.

Needless to say, thankfully, I kept reading. 4.5 stars. Ray, the main character turns out to be quite introspective, and funny as hell. He is the woodman
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Well....what can I say? A good read, not the best I've read and with some things that bugged me a bit, but all in all just this side of excellent.

Which is a bit depressing as the series has already been cancelled. I'm planning on ordering the next 2 (used) tomorrow.

The thing is that I was unaware of this series of books when it was "looking for buyers". Sad I suppose.

Anyway...the book. Our hero (Ray) has a problem. See he's a crook, or maybe an ex-crook and in the life he did some time, establi
BG Josh
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have read a number of poor to mediocre fantasy books recently (Dresden files, game of thrones) and this book is everything they are not. Well thought out interesting characters. A cool, plausible and well built world. An interesting engaging plot. And to top it off the book is well written and actually makes you feel things.

Before I read this novel I was beginning to think no one was even interested in writing good fantasy anymore. I cannot recommend this book enough.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Another series to be added to my reading list. Ray Lilly is a refreshing hero, and the storyline is pretty different for UF. It's dark, pretty dark, but Connolly has the noir vibe down perfectly. I'll keep reading this series for sure. Full review to be posted on the Bitten by Books website: http://bittenbybooks.com.
Kati
What a great book. It had me on the edge of my seat more than once. Fast paced action, original plot and interesting characters, spells and werewolves, shoot-outs and strange supernatural forms... Though I did feel like I was missing a prequel to this story, there was much hinted at and never explained. Hopefully, Connolly will rectify that in the next book in his series. I'll be definitely buying it!
Christopher Valin
Nov 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I finally finished reading Harry Connolly's Child of Fire (I'm a slow reader), and I can definitely see why Publisher's Weekly named it one of the best books of 2009. This story grabs you by the throat on page one and doesn't let up for a second. The characters and setting are rich, the story is suspenseful and exciting, and the Twenty Palaces world Harry has created is fascinating and mysterious. I can't compare it to the Dresden books like a lot of people have since my entire Dresden experienc ...more
  • Death Most Definite (Death Works Trilogy #1)
  • A Devil in the Details (Jesse James Dawson, #1)
  • Hard Spell (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation #1)
  • Vicious Circle (Felix Castor, #2)
  • Master of None (Gavyn Donatti, #1)
  • Necropolis (Matt Richter #1)
  • Sixty-One Nails (Courts of the Feyre, #1)
  • The Minority Council (Matthew Swift, #4)
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Unshapely Things (Connor Grey, #1)
  • Chimera (The Korsak Brothers #1)
  • Hard Day's Knight (Black Knight Chronicles, #1)
  • Dog Days (Dog Days, #1)
  • The Man With the Golden Torc (Secret Histories, #1)

Twenty Palaces (3 books)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)