Start by marking “Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1)

Rosemary and Rue

(October Daye #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  27,405 ratings  ·  2,472 reviews
October "Toby" Daye, a changeling who is half human and half fae, has been an outsider from birth. After getting burned by both sides of her heritage, Toby has denied the Faerie world, retreating to a "normal" life. Unfortunately for her, the Faerie world has other ideas...

The murder of Countess Evening Winterrose pulls Toby back into the fae world. Unable to resist Even
Mass Market Paperback, 346 pages
Published September 1st 2009 by DAW BOOKS Inc

To ask other readers questions about Rosemary and Rue, please sign up.
Jessica ☕ B&N released a pretty good list recently; I haven't read all of these, but the ones that I have, I loved!

Kat Myers
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  27,405 ratings  ·  2,472 reviews

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
2/7/18 - ON SALE for $1.99:

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

There are two things I want to tell you in advance:

1. October Daye is one of my Top 5 Favorite UF Series.

2. The first time I tried to read ROSEMARY AND RUE, I DNF-ed it.

YEP. I did.

I didn't pick it up again for a couple of years, and when I did, it was b/c DESPERATE for new UF.

So I was more patient . . . Which was good, b/c I made it past the '90s flashback of a prologue, and the depths-of-despair aftermath that had init
Anne
Oct 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Anne by: steven
So, Steven recommended this to me, and since I've enjoyed his recommendations in the past...I snagged this one from my library the same day.
Was it any good?
Hmm. Kinda.

description

I'm going to settle on 3 stars, because it wasn't bad, but I wasn't immediately sucked into the world, the plot, or any of the characters.
I can see why a lot of my friends weren't all that impressed with it.
BUT.
I also remember that I 'liked' the 1st Mercy Thompson, and only felt a vague tingle when I read the 1st Kate Daniels. And
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
BR with my MacHalo Freaks starting Oct 5, 2015.

Welcome to the most uninspired review in the history of uninspired reviews!

Why am I out of ideas, you ask? Because this book =

It's a Bleh, Meh, Yawn and Blah Blah Blah Super Fest. And surprisingly enough, it seems that quite a few of my weird dear buddy reading accomplices agree with me here. Wow. It turns out they might not have such crappy book taste after all. Who would have thought?!

Okay, since I don't have much to say about this thrilling p
Katie(babs)
Sep 29, 2009 rated it did not like it
Alp
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
3.5/5

This was my first read by Seanan McGuire, so it took me almost half the book to get used to her writing style. I had a lot of fun once I got into the groove of the story, and I simply couldn't put it down. I was utterly engrossed in Toby’s investigation, eager to see what would happen as the story started to unfold gradually. The world the author has created is surprisingly intricate and fascinating. And in the end, when the truth was finally revealed, I was like—THAT! I knew it! Well, it w
Sh3lly (grumpybookgrrrl.com)
FIRST READ 13 DEC 2013: ★★★
SECOND READ 28 JAN 2019: ★★★

I'm keeping my same rating. I had forgotten a lot of this. It's a rough start to a great series. But still a good book.

Another buddy re-read with the MacHalos. (I actually skipped the previous re-read, so this is only the second time I've read this.) My intent is to re-read them all and catch up for book #13, The Unkindest Tide, which releases in ... well, October!

I recall this first book (released in 2009, I believe) being a little clunky,
Robin (Bridge Four)
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, uf-pnr
Sale Alert 9/30/17: The first book in this series wasn't my favorite but it did grow on me later about book 3 or 4. You can get this for $1.99 on Amazon

Read with Buddies Books & Baubles impromptu like because Jessica and Joanita are pushers.

See below ↘

description

This is a solid first installment to a series. It is also not what I thought it was going to be. I say this as my book BFF creatively found a way for me to jump into the read of this series with her. I trust her on this because we have pretty s
The Flooze
ETA: I've continued reading this series and want to point out I gave books four and five considerably higher ratings. Four stars each.
_______________________________

I can't make up my mind what to rate this. The unforgiving and frustrated side of me wants to saddle it with a two. The part of me that loves depictions of the fae, their powers and lands leans towards a three for effort.

My problem with Rosemary and Rue is this: Nothing really happens.

Sure, there’s a lot of running around. Bullets
Denisa
3.5/ 4ish
I really missed a good UF!

I admit, it took me a bit to get into the story. But well, once I got there, I couldn't get out!
I absolutely loved it!
Loved the world it created and the characters, even the "case" was a damn interesting one (and that's not very easy to find).

This series has a lot of potential, can't wait to get to the next one!
Jilly
This was a tough book for me because I kept falling asleep every time I tried to read it. I swear, it was like a giant Xanax.

30 minutes of the endless descriptions and the politics of every single fae creature will do that too.

Plus, on top of the endless descriptions and explanations, October/Toby was weak as hell. She was injured the entire book. By the end of it, she is dragging her half-dead, bleeding corpse around to fight monsters way bigger than her, but she still refuses to shoot first. S
R.
This started off strong, but it lost a whooooole bunch of steam as it went. The story never really felt like it was driving forward, just sort of meandering onward.

Toby is likeable enough, but she's sort of ineffectual. She spends a large portion of the book constantly being battered about and recovering from various near-fatal injuries and in the grand scheme of the plot and what she's attempting to do, very rarely does she ever actually accomplish anything herself. Which is not to say that sh
Choko
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
*** 4 ***

An impromptu buddy read with the UF loving BB&B Fae maniacs!!!

This was fun. I have had this series for a while, but never really thought about it. Another reason everyone should belong to a book club - you get to read things you would have never read was it not for your buddies!

This is very much an Urban Fantasy and it is full of multitude of Fae creatures. Actually, rarely have I encountered the depth of Fae lore as I found here. Several times I stopped to research the mythology
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

"It can't all be dreams because a broken dream will kill you as surely as a nightmare will, and with a lot less mercy. At least the nightmares don't smile while they take you down."

This unusual Urban Fantasy series focuses on a changeling (half human, half fae) stuck between the politics of different fae branches while fitting in with the human world. Kind of. Toby used to be a private investigator for her leige, but she was almost killed and punished a severe way. When she recovered from this (
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Rosemary and Rue is well-written urban fantasy. This novel is full of the melancholy. Not what I would call fatalistic or depressing, but instead in touch with the sad, the weary, the timeless angst of the faerie folklore and myths. San Francisco is a beautiful setting for this story, this grand old city of hills, water, and mists. It's not difficult to believe that Faeries would situate their courts in this place. There is something magical to this setting that does half of the world-building i ...more
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Buddy Read with the MacHalos

Maybe Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels has ruined me for all other UF series, but this was not an awesome book. This was like the Jerry Lewis version of KD. Let's go over the things that annoyed me:

1. Tobey has almost no fighting skills and no weapons, yet she romps around getting into trouble. You think she'd take a self defense at the gym or something, because she desperately needs it. I don't care if they're magical beings, stronger than you magic wise, you could still
Michelle Dockrey
Apr 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Michelle by: Seanan McGuire
Shelves: favorites
Full disclosure: this review may be doubly biased; not only is the author one of my best friends, but I'm in the proofing pool. I'm in an unusual position. I've had the privilege of watching this book and this series grow over drafts and years, from an unruly child into a beaming graduate. If authors are essentially releasing their children out into the world to make it on their own, I feel like I'm part of the proud family that's watched them grow up, or at least perhaps one of its well-loved t ...more
Robyn
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Even though I'm not usually a fan of Irish myth urban fantasy this one won me over, mainly on account of October. Fun!
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/06/25/b...

October Daye is one of those urban fantasy series I’ve been meaning to read for a long time. And unless you count her novels written under the name Mira Grant, I’ve never read anything by Seanan Mcguire before either, so this was a good opportunity to knock out two birds with one stone.

The series’ eponymous protagonist is a half-human and half-fae changeling with an incredible and downright uncanny history. The book’s pr
Emma
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a really good read. I enjoyed the magical world and the blend with urban fantasy. I'm looking forward to continuing with this series.
July 2018
Even better on a reread. The first time I entered Toby Daye’s world, it took quite a few books to get a full handle on both her and the world she lives in. I decided to reread the series because I’m still waiting for the most recent one to come out on kindle and it was well worth it. If you haven’t tried this series yet, I recommend you do!
Jo

09/03/2016 Buddy read with Jessica, Robin, Choko, and Maria over at BB&B b/c we are craving UF, also Jessica loves this series and seeing that she is never wrong.... :-)

“By my word and at my command, you will investigate a murder, and you will force justice back into this kingdom. You will do this thing.” There was a long pause. I was starting to think the message had ended when she continued, softly, “Find out who did it, Toby, please. Make sure they don’t win. If you were ever my friend
☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness
Mmmhhmm debating between 4 stars and 3 stars. I liked it but I didn't really connect with Toby, and I was cursing her a few times for acting so dumbly. But, I've heard good things about this series and that it's going to get better. Often the first book in an UF series is the weakest so I'm not worried at all. I'm super excited about this series. I love everything Fae <3

I'm really interested in Tybalt. (was it Tybalt?? Wtf was his name again??) Anyway, fae guy with cat eyes ???? Hoooooootttt
Mimi
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Never thought I'd say this, but I sort of hate this book and it's all because of the main character, October (Toby) Daye. She is just so damn infuriating. But the thing is, not liking the MC has never stopped me from reading a book, continuing a series, or even enjoying the writing. But I just can't do it with this book.

Credit where credit is due, this is not nearly as bad as some of the urban fantasies I've read, because there is a lot of potential in the world building and all the mythology wo
Richard Derus
Rating: a grudging 2* of five

Pearl Ruled at 33%

Nope. Not one eyeblink more. I cannot do this. Too much is too much and the rose goblin escapade in chapter 8 lasted about a week too long.

This idea is fine, though the choice of San Francisco as the intersection point between humans and Faerie borders on OTT, and I guess this could still make a good TV show if they get the budget for the f/x, but oh HELL no on the bloviations of the book.
Casey
This... was not what I was expecting.

I read this fairy filled tale with the lovelies over in the MacHalo Insanity Safehouse and per usual I got a late start but it's still January so it counts.

I've read a ton of UF with smart talking cocky females. This... was not that story.
Honestly, October's kind of a downer in general.

I've read a ton of UF with characters that use their skills to whoop on anybody that gets between them and their goal. This... was not that story.
She gets her ass kicked way
Felicia
Dec 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Okay this is one of those, "I've got good news and I've got bad news" situations. So what would you like first?

I suppose you've already seen some of the "good" news in that I went all the way to a 4 star rating. For me that says a lot. I don't give a lot of 5s and I'm also careful with the 4s. We only have a 5 star system here so for a book to be rated 5 stars I figure it has to be excellent. A 4 can't be that far behind.

This one held my interest, didn't fall into the things that have driven me
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
I was pretty disappointed by this book because I absolutely adore Seanan McGuire’s Wayward Children series. The writing in this book is just so radically different and, honestly, kind of bad. If I didn’t know this was the same author, I probably wouldn’t believe it. The writing in Wayward Children is whimsical and sweet (I don’t know how else to describe it) and this writing is….. lame (even for urban fantasy standards - I audibly said “ugh” to a lot of the dialogue).

The world building is slopp
Alexa
Another one of the misses during my book slump. This one was a DNF @ 34%.

This book had one of the best prologues I've read in a while.

October "Toby" Daye, is following a suspect for a case in her PI firm, and she gets caught and turned into a freaking fish for fourteen years.

I kid you not. Fourteen Years A life lost. A new start. That is probably the best entrance ever.

And then it just goes downhill. I never cared about Toby, I never cared about her friends, the murder or the investigation. I
Karen ⊰✿
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: towerteamsvi
October day is a Changeling. Half human, half Fae. She lives in the human world, but doesn't really fit into either. After working as a PI and having a case go terribly wrong, she disappears for 14 years, returning where this book begins - into the human world and trying to forget about the Fae.
But the murder of one of the full blood Fae that she used to call a friend has her embroiled in a dangerous mystery and make into the world she has been trying to ignore.
I like October. She is a bit too t
Sanaa
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
[4 Stars] Review to come soon, but I will say that I really enjoyed this one! Much of this book was spent world building and Toby pretty much introducing us to all the major fae players, but I didn't mind. I enjoyed seeing the worldbuilding, and it is cool that Toby is a changeling. I did have a couplenof problems with this, but overall they weren't big enough for me to give this anything less than 4 stars!
  • A Fantasy Medley 2
  • Unfallen Dead (Connor Grey, #3)
  • Magic on the Storm (Allie Beckstrom, #4)
  • The Darkest Edge of Dawn (Charlie Madigan, #2)
  • Doppelgangster (Esther Diamond, #2)
  • Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3)
  • Trick of the Light (Trickster, #1)
  • Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3)
  • Autumn Bones (Agent of Hel, #2)
  • Bloodshot (Cheshire Red Reports, #1)
  • This Case Is Gonna Kill Me (Linnet Ellery #1)
  • Blood on the Bayou (Annabelle Lee, #2)
  • Secrets of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #3)
  • Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)
  • Deadtown (Deadtown, #1)
  • Vicious Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #1)
  • Embers (Anya Kalinczyk, #1)
  • Bitter Night (Horngate Witches, #1)
Hi! I'm Seanan McGuire, author of the Toby Daye series (Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, An Artificial Night, Late Eclipses), as well as a lot of other things. I'm also Mira Grant (www.miragrant.com), author of Feed and Deadline.

Born and raised in Northern California, I fear weather and am remarkably laid-back about rattlesnakes. I watch too many horror movies, read too many comic books, and

October Daye (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • A Local Habitation (October Daye, #2)
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye, #3)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye, #4)
  • One Salt Sea (October Daye, #5)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • The Winter Long (October Daye, #8)
  • A Red-Rose Chain (October Daye, #9)
  • Once Broken Faith (October Daye, #10)
  • The Brightest Fell (October Daye, #11)
“When Rome burned, the emperor's cats still expected to be fed on time.” 133 likes
“If anything attacked us, we could just panic at it until it went away.” 127 likes