Start by marking “Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)” as Want to Read:
Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)

Howl's Moving Castle

(Howl's Moving Castle #1)

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  163,277 ratings  ·  10,989 reviews
An alternative cover for this ISBN can be found here

Sophie has the great misfortune of being the eldest of three daughters, destined to fail miserably should she ever leave home to seek her fate. But when she unwittingly attracts the ire of the Witch of the Waste, Sophie finds herself under a horrid spell that transforms her into an old lady. Her only chance at breaking it
Mass Market Paperback, Greenwillow Books, 329 pages
Published August 1st 2001 by Harper Trophy (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Howl's Moving Castle, please sign up.
Marlee I personally find the book much better than the movie. If the book never existed, I would say the movie was beautiful on its own, but the book leaves…moreI personally find the book much better than the movie. If the book never existed, I would say the movie was beautiful on its own, but the book leaves it in the dust. A lot more story and characters, much more humor, and very easy to get lost in.
Overall, if you're more of an art and animation fan, the movie is the way to go. If you want more story, the book.
Not to mention there are two books that follow it that are also high up on my favorites list.(less)
Mai Ke I think the brown Colour fits better with the beginning of the Book and the Film. If he made her too beautiful and special from the start, he couldn't…moreI think the brown Colour fits better with the beginning of the Book and the Film. If he made her too beautiful and special from the start, he couldn't show the progress. In the Book you read what Sophie thinks of herself, and you tend to forget she is in Reality quite pretty. In the Film you see her the whole time, so he had to show this another way.(less)

Cara
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Cara by: Ash
Honestly what made me want to read this book was the movie. *gasp* I know, I know shouldn't do that. The movie was good (I am a fan of Hayo Miyazaki's films) and I wasn't disappointed in the book. As always much of the book wasn't put into the movie, but it was understandable because I imagine it would be hard to piece together a movie with all the components this story has.

To really grasp and understand the book I would suggest that it be read twice I think. Since I did watch the movie I wasn't
Catie
This book is completely magical and this is how I know:

On the fourth of July, we crammed ourselves into our car (my husband, mother in law, two girls, and I) and drove for over an hour to go see some fireworks. There was traffic almost the entire way, and I was jammed in the back in between two booster seats, which let me tell you – was not comfortable. I am a tall person and my knees basically alternated between being squished in between the two front seats, or slanted crazily off to one side.
Mark Lawrence
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this to my daughter, Celyn (10 at the time), who is too disabled to read books by herself.

I had seen some of the anime film version years ago but remembered basically nothing of it.

I found the whole thing original and refreshing. The point of view character (Sophie) is engaging and no-nonsense with a very capable can-do attitude. The story moves along at a good pace and the whole moving castle / multiple doors thing is a great idea and used well.

The Welsh connection is well-played, and th
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I have to say I love Hayao Miyazaki's movie better because come on, it's an awesome movie. (Although, Spirited Away is my favorite movie)

There were some differences in the book but the movie was based off the book and it's not going to be the same. All that matters is they both were awesome and the author loved the movie too.

I absolutely love fantasy worlds that are way out there.

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐾🐺
Kat Kennedy
Jun 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone with a heart and half a brain
For some reason I've been reading a lot of really great books lately. I feel that itch to find something I can tear apart and relish in the destruction. However, Howl's Moving Castle didn't provide me with that opportunity.

It is an amazing and fantastic book. The characters are so very different, funny, quirky and lovable that I was sucked in right away. The storyline was intriguing and fun to read. The writing was quite good and the world was utterly fascinating.

If you've watched the movie then
Riley
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
This was such an enchanting story!
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Howl's Moving Castle, for whatever reason, failed to engage me the first time I read it several years ago, but it worked much better the second time around. I really felt for Sophie, the main character, who feels so timid, trapped and hopeless that when she's (unfairly) hit with a curse that turns her from a young woman into an old crone, it actually frees her in more ways than one. She leaves her dead-end job in the village and, for lack of a better option, moves herself (without bothering to a ...more
Cait • A Page with a View
HOW IS THIS SO DIFFERENT FROM THE MOVIE?!!? I picked this up on a whim because I adore the Miyazaki film, but this is like a totally different story. And I can't believe I'm saying this about one of my favorite movies, but I like this book waaaaay more.
Emma (Miss Print)
May 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Before Hayao Miyazaki made "Howl's Moving Castle" into a feature length animated film in 2006 (2004 if you saw it in Japan), it was a book written by Diana Wynne Jones in 1986. Due to the inherent difficulties of creating an animated film, Miyazaki greatly abridged and adjusted the plot of the novel for his movie. I happened to enjoy both film and novel but after reading the book I realized that the plot is extremely different in the novel--enough that the book and movie become completely differ ...more
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
I am so pleased to say I loved this book!

This was exactly what I needed to read right now. My year thus far has been full of more serious books with heavy content, but this was a perfect balance of fantastical and lighthearted.

Sophie and her two sisters work in a hat shop with only their stepmother for company since the unfortunate death of their father. Being the eldest of three, she has accepted that she is destined for a life of utter mediocrity.

When the infamous Witch of the Waste curses So
Ahmad Sharabiani
Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle #1), Diana Wynne Jones
Howl's Moving Castle is a fantasy novel by British author Diana Wynne Jones, first published in 1986 by Greenwillow Books of New York. It was a runner-up for the annual Boston Globe–Horn Book Award and it won the Phoenix Award twenty years later, recognising its rise from relative obscurity. In 2004 it was adapted as an animated film of the same name, which was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. Howl's Movi
Apatt
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya
After finishing Howl's Moving Castle I immediately Googled “Diana Wynne Jones” to see how many more books in this series I can look forward to. The first thing I noticed was
“Died: March 26, 2011”. My reaction was “WTF? And we are just getting acquainted!”

The book starts off charmingly with:
“In the land of Ingary, where such things as seven-league boots and cloaks of invisibility really exist, it is quite a misfortune to be born the eldest of three.”

This misfortune falls on 18-year-old Sophie
Celeste
I adore middle grade fantasy fiction. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was the first book that ever made me cry, and I still get emotional when I reread it. The Phantom Tollbooth remains one of the funniest, cleverest books I’ve ever read, though I didn’t read it until I was in my twenties. A Wrinkle in Time changed my view of the world and helped me embrace myself for who I was and still am. The Little Prince gave me a lot of deep, philosophical fodder for discussion with my family. And Ha ...more
Joey Woolfardis
I have been wanting to read this book for a long time, so decided it was about time I just jump straight in. My deepest heart's desire was that I'd find the female-equivalent to Terry Pratchett, but sadly that is not the case.

It was written so well and Diana has an amazing imagination that makes Neil Gaiman look normal. But sadly the characters were flat and I felt nothing for any of them, though I think Howl was the most wonderfully developed of the lot. They were all a little bit "I'm only her
seak
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I watched the movie, Howl's Moving Castle, directed by Hayao Miyazaki, when I was going through my anime phase, not to mention I'm pretty much always going through a Christian Bale phase. I loved it, of course, it was so odd and just plain weird, exactly why I enjoy anime so much.

This was quite a while ago, and it wasn't until just recently that I started reading reviews of the book by Diana Wynne Jones, so I ordered it right away. And, because my "to read" pile is enormous, it sat on my shelf f
Alex Farrand
I read Howl's Moving Castle at the most perfect time. I was caught in between a colossal book, and my next intense read. I was in desperate need of a lighter, fun book. In Howl's Moving Castle I found exactly that and much more. Howl's Moving Castle is about a meek, young girl who was enchanted by an aging spell. Her only chance of breaking the enchantment is living with the mysterious wizard, Howl, and bargaining with the fire demon.

I really found this story enjoyable. Diana Jones created an
Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones opens in a picturesque little village, in a country and a world where magic—gifts and curses, fairies and witches—are not just real, but taken for granted. The people around them manage to have almost tediously normal lives.

Our protagonist, Sophie Hatter, is the eldest of three sisters, so she knows her youngest sister will have luck and adventure while she herself will have a dull and obscure existence, probably as an old maid tending her father’s hat s
Gail Carriger
Howl's lingers with me because of the humor, because of the perfectly executed twisting plot, because of the snapping dialog. Diana is possibly the best writer of her generation but because she wrote mainly YA in a time before HP she was disregarded. You want to know what I think a book should be like? Read this one.
Mariel
Nov 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: it still moves
Recommended to Mariel by: stillness is the move
I'd started writing this review yesterday. I had to quit because I was busy having one of my anxiety fits about using cliches, not saying what I really mean, unclear sentences, my bad grammar, blah blah. I worry about it so much that it is hard to write anything.

Howl's Moving Castle is one of those books that I wish I'd not read so I could read it again. That's a cliche, it's true, but it is true. A lot has been written about Howl's on goodreads so I'll try and say something beyond all of the t
Mangrii
Sophie Hatter, la mayor de tres hermanas, sabe que al ser la mayor de la familia su destino es fracasar. Por ello, tras la muerte de su padre, no se molesta cuando se queda como aprendiza en la tienda de sombreros de la familia, mientras que sus dos hermanas van a diferentes lugares donde sobresalen. Tras llamar la atención de la Bruja del Páramo, Sophie se convierte en una anciana de 90 años, y por culpa de un hechizo, no podrá contárselo a nadie. Toda decidida, coge sus pertenencias y emprende ...more
Luke Taylor
So what is Howl's Moving Castle?

Pull up a stool by the fire and I'll tell you.

Deceptively complex and yet magically simple, Diana Wynne Jones' inimitable classic throws everything but the kitchen sink (well, probably that too) and gobs of green goo upon the concept of the fairy tale and dusts it with a generous helping of humor, horror, and heart. From making Sophie into an old woman, to making glowing faces in the fireplace, to Wales being a home as deep and dynamic as DiCaprio's own final dest
Hannah
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Quite different from the movie but no less fantastic.

Needless to say, I loved it.
Daniella
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Delightful a'f, I don't know what more you could want in a whimsical fantasy

-This book will appeal to every age group and gender.
-It's simple yet extremely well plotted
-You can read it in one sitting!
-Doesn't rely on tropes at all, it's its own original story
-You will feel joy throughout the entire book
I highly recommend this.
Katerina Kondrenko
10 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:
Scott Thomas feat Jonathan Clay – Heart On Fire

Genre: high-fantasy, fairytale
Stuff: moving castle (duh), magic, curse
WOW: characters, humor
POV: 3rd-person, female
Love-Geometry: seeming

Quote-Core:
"You have an instinct, Sophie. Nothing is safe from you."

Imagine the Beas
Kristijan
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Haulov pokretni zamak je izuzetno kreativna i šarena bajka koja čitaoce ne ostavlja ravnodušnim. Glavni likovi su izuzetno maštoviti i trodimenzionalni, a pejzaži kojima lutamo zajedno sa njima poprilično živopisni.
Čitaoci na momente mogu predvideti neke stvari, ali to ni u kom slučaju ne može da naruži lepotu ovog romana.
Dajem čistu peticu Haulovom pokretnom zamku, a na listu stavljam nastavak.
Šteta je što roman nije nešto naročito promovisan i popularizovan u Srbiji i što je tek nekih dvadese
Maria Clara
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sencillamente mágico!
Gypsy

وای وای وای.. من از قبل اینکه برم سراغش هم میدونستم خیلی خوبه. ولی نه دیگه درین حد! :O-o

روایت بینهایت ساده، روراست و واضحه. اینقد که تا وسطای داستان، فک نمیکنی اینروایت سهل و ساده بخواد بهیهشاهکار ختم بشه. ولی در نهایت، میبینی تمام چیزهای کوچیک و ساده، بذرهای نهال بزرگی بودن که آخر داستان بهش میرسی. بعد هم شخصیتپردازی معرکهی نویسنده که جداً اگه کسی میخواد شخصیتپردازی یاد بگیره، اینکتاب یکی از بهترین نمونههاشه. بهقدری شخصیتها واقعی و باورپذیر و دوستداشتنین که نمیتونی تصور کنی همه اینا یهداستانه!
Jessica
Jul 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best fantasies, and a clever mystery besides. Read it, for probably the 10th time, but this time I read it aloud to my 7yo. He loved it, though I did have to explain a few things. I would love a Calcifer of my own.
Ana M. Román
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Un libro catalogado como infantil o juvenil pero que gustará sin importar la edad del lector.

El castillo que crea la autora es increíble, con sus puertas que dan a lugares diferentes a tiempos diferentes e incluso a dimensiones diferentes. Así mismo, la maldición de Sophie es mucho más que una maldición. Es la forma que tiene la autora de mostrarnos cómo cambia la perspectiva de las cosas con la edad y cómo nos vamos volviendo más insensibles al qué dirán o a los juicios de las personas. Con cad
Brendon Schrodinger
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, fantasy
This is the first book that I read to my daughter.

She may not be a captive audience...actually, scrap that. She's still brewing. Still in the womb. She was captive! Captivated, well that's harder to say. The general feedback was wiggles. Her mother reported that she wiggled as I read to her, a chapter a night for the last few weeks. It was either "Hey I like this sound" or "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? STOP TORTURING ME!" I'm assuming it was the former.

This book was chosen because it is one of my wif
  • Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Cecelia and Kate, #1)
  • Flora's Dare (Flora Trilogy, #2)
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • The Perilous Gard
  • The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2)
  • The Blue Sword (Damar, #1)
  • Firebirds: An Anthology of Original Fantasy and Science Fiction
  • The Changeover
  • Dragon's Bait
  • Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit (Moribito, #1)
  • Wise Child (Doran, #1)
  • The Remarkable Journey of Prince Jen
  • Bloodhound (Beka Cooper, #2)
  • Wildwood Dancing (Wildwood, #1)
  • Wren's Quest (Wren, #2)
Diana was born in London, the daughter of Marjorie (née Jackson) and Richard Aneurin Jones, both of whom were teachers. When war was announced, shortly after her fifth birthday, she was evacuated to Wales, and thereafter moved several times, including periods in Coniston Water, in York, and back in London. In 1943 her family finally settled in Thaxted, Essex, where her parents worked running an ed ...more

Howl's Moving Castle (3 books)
  • Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2)
  • House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle, #3)
“I think we ought to live happily ever after.” 1475 likes