Start by marking “Road Trip USA: Cross-Country Adventures on America's Two-Lane Highways” as Want to Read:
Road Trip USA: Cross-Country Adventures on America's Two-Lane Highways

Road Trip USA: Cross-Country Adventures on America's Two-Lane Highways

Now in its 10th anniversary edition, the best-selling Road Trip USA is better than ever. Inside you'll find cross-country routes and road-tested advice for adventurers who want to see part of America that the interstates have left behind. Mile-by-mile highlights celebrate major cities, obscure towns, popular attractions, roadside curiosities (if you're looking for the ...more
Published March 31st 2006 by Rick Steves (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Road Trip USA, please sign up.
Rebus7 I might be late by 6 months in answering your question but maybe it's not to late. I actually don't own the other book You mentionend. But I found a…moreI might be late by 6 months in answering your question but maybe it's not to late. I actually don't own the other book You mentionend. But I found a newer edition of this book (27/03/2018), of which there's a kindle-version avaiable, unfortunately I didn't see an e-book in an epub-version from my usual book-shop, so that one's out of the question for me at the time, but maybe You are able to find one where I didn't. Well, with an E-book there wouldn't be a weight-problem at least and You could carry a whole library with You.
Have fun on Your trip, or in case I'm late: I hope that You had fun on Your trip.
rebus7(less)

Start your review of Road Trip USA: Cross-Country Adventures on America's Two-Lane Highways
Sheri
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, 2017, 2018
Road Trip USA offers 11 travel itineraries for driving adventures along more leisurely paced 2 lane highways. The choice is yours whether to travel the whole route from start to finish or just experience a small section. With 6 north-south and 5 east-west routes, connecting up with any of these pre-planned routes is within a few hours drive.

I don’t know why I even read these travel idea books as I never have any shortage of ideas, but I consistently have a shortage of funds and vacation time!
Linda
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
Road Trip USA

In the summer of 2014, my partner and I took what ended up being a 2 and a half month road trip through the US, starting in Philadelphia and heading down to Atlanta, west through the deep South and Southwest to California then up the coast and winding around the Mountain West before working our way back East to Philadelphia. I hadn’t bothered to look at any guidebooks, figuring I would be able to find whatever information I needed online along the way. While that was somewhat true
Dave Courtney
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Road Trip USA is a resource that brands itself with a sort of old school value. The routes encourage the a patient meandering through small town America and off the beaten path novelties that make road tripping a sort of American institution. The chosen paths do cross conventional tourism and big cities, but it never loses sight of the greater vision. It is all about the art of taking your time, recognizing the history that surrounds you, veering off the interstate, and experiencing the ...more
Brian Hodges
Absolutely INDISPENSABLE book for anyone who is planning an authentic American Road Trip. This isn't your typical travel guide telling you where to find five star lodging and the best golf courses. This book presents real "Golden Age of America" car travel, taking you along two-lane U.S. Highways, through small towns and by roadside attractions less frequented in this increasingly fast-paced and impersonal society. If you're the kind of person who prefers sticking only to the interstate, eating ...more
Jim Bowen
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
This book is useful. It makes suggestions about how you might get from Point A to Point B in America if you decided not to use the freeway/motorway system. Because it covers the whole of the US, mean it can't give you more than a little "colour" about the possible route you could take, but the thumbnail sketches will make the places on the route sound sufficiently interesting that you'll want to take time to investigate, and learn about, the places for yourself.

The fact that it gives you colour
April
May 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This guide book is for the person who wants to experience an old fashioned road trip where the trip is the destination.

This edition covers 11 major road trips. Some going from Canada to Mexico and others from the west coast to the east coast.

The guide is full of sight seeing information for each route and offers may tips for your trip. For instance:

If you were to travel the "Great River Road" from Minnesota to Louisiana, watch out for speed traps in souther Illinois and be sure to stop in
gina
What a great inspirational book to get your travel ideas flowing! So many great ideas about where to travel. It gave me several new ideas about bucket list trips and camping I'd like to do :)
Ashley
Jan 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was mapping out our road trip, I was really frustrated and disappointed with this book. I felt like it was full of places we had no intention of going to. But the beauty of the book really shined when we are on the road and I realized we can't be in The Big Places everyday. There are amazing things to find along the journey and this book provided so many little gems. A definite must for The Road.
Monica
Dec 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that's really a reference guide every time you even THINK about going somewhere. It's packed full of great tips, locations, restaurants, and points out the quirkiness that is Americana in between. It's got a great layout, and goes in order of the roads, which makes it easy to work with when you're actually on a road trip.
If I even hit a quarter of the places listed in this book, I will consider myself lucky.
Lea
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference, travel
My husband and I wended our way cross country more than once with this book, which tipped us off to some wonderful spots and great experiences. I love it as a gift (along with cash for gas money) for a high school graduate to encourage travel, discovery and seeing it for yourself. The latest edition is a little glossier than the one we started out with (color pictures!), but retains the same tone that makes it a thoughtful resource.
Heidi
Jan 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-books-read
Loved this book! It was a great book while driving cross country. Lots of out of the way, unique sights, restaurants, and lodging. Even though it's 4-5 years old now, we used it again moving back across country in 2007. It was still very helpful. We also referenced their website, www.roadtripusa.com
Paul
Nov 28, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: travelers of the beaten path
This should be your first book to read if you want to travel by car off the main drag. It will get you started on trips from east coast to west coast and north to south. I used it for Route 66 and the Great River Road. Good information.
Crystaline
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My husband and I have used this book as a literal road map for multiple trips across the U.S. We use it in conjunction with 1,000 Places to See in the US & Canada to plan our trips and see things we would of never found on our own. We love rolling down two lane roads with adventure ahead! Onward!
Sara
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, nonfiction
A great introduction to the many cross-country road trip routes. I'm a little surprised at how many routes I've done already!
Peggy Stubblefield
I use this book for every trip, real or imagined.
Jen
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: road-trip-usa, travel
An excellent source for neat little stops along your road trip across the USA!
Eli Mandel
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book helped fuel my love of the country road. No rest areas with McDonald's for me.
Rebus7
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been really helpful now for several trips around the US. Some places, we never would have taken a look at without it, as we wouldn't have known about their existence.
Ietrio
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junk
When I have picked up this book I was left with the impression of some sort of journal. The brand Moon should have spoken to me. Yet, I am an ignorant. And this is yet another tourist guide in a sea of tourist guides. Big photos. Perishable information. It says adventure on the cover. Only it is a lie. There is no adventure. It is the exact opposite of adventure: going safe.
Kazuya Sakakihara
Expected full of marginalia, but found it just yet another banal guidebook. I'd rather spend the time diving in Google Maps.
Sandi
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plan your next roadtrip!
Rogue Reader
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: roadtrip
A fine eye for roadside americana and vernacular architecture. Pick a route, any route and enjoy. Don't forget the postcards...
Robin Ferguson
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
ready for my road trip. Probably not the entire routes suggested but enough interesting locations to consider.
LynnG
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good road trip book.... Several long trips are listed, with enough detail you can figure out where you want to go, but not too much detail to get bogged down
katykins
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The fifth edition of Road Trip USA comes at an opportune time. Gas per gallon is down more than a dollar from last year, and in looking at a line graph projecting the U.S. unemployment rate, if it doesn’t trigger a desire to go on an uphill hike in the Colorado mountains, it exposes that there are plenty of people out there with newly found time on their hands. Time, I say, for a road trip.

What Jamie Jensen does with his colored photographs and charming details is provoke us to stop considering
Zeljka
Apr 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
This guide is definitely essential for everybody willing to get to know the USA by car, because it really tries hard to give you all information needed about the road you are on. It even gives you some information about the outdoor landmarks you should see, but not much, which the author compensates with the recommendations of the books and guides about the subject.
I am European, and I used to dream about crossing the USA by car, but now, after reading this guide, I am not so willing anymore.
Sharron
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel-writing
I recently pulled this book off the shelf again for a fifth foray into the world of long trip road planning. By that I mean a journey of over 10,000 miles. For the past four summers this book has provided us with the outline of a route on lesser known roads through parts of the country we would otherwise never have experienced. Think of it as the "anti-interstate highway" travel bible. With this title plus a spiral bound Rand McNally Road Atlas (hint, large print for visual ease) all you need do ...more
Stuck on Lou
Mar 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ramblin' men and women
Shelves: travel
I highly recommend this book, especially to anyone who is driving across the country. It outlines routes that are off the major highways and highlights points of interest and local history along the way. Also, at one particularly bendy part of route 66, the book tells you that comedian Bobcat Goldthwaite died in a motorcycle accident on those treacherous turns, which will lead to hours of heated debate with your car companions about whether Bobcat Goldthwaite is actually dead (he isn't).
Kassie
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
A well-executed book. From the organization to the photos to the minor (but very important) details, this book is nice to have while traveling - especially if you find yourself lost or with unexpected downtime in an unfamiliar place.
Kari
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read and thoroughly enjoyed the section about the Pacific Coast. the book is attractively laid out with right sized descriptions of landmarks and other notables along the way. I look forward to updating this review after our trip.

• 1,000 Places to See Before You Die
  • 1,000 Places to See in the U.S.A. & Canada Before You Die
  • The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the World
  • The Most Scenic Drives in America, Newly Revised and Updated: 120 Spectacular Road Trips
  • Foundations of Flavor: The Noma Guide to Fermentation
  • Harrington on Hold 'em: Expert Strategy for No-Limit Tournaments, Volume I: Strategic Play
  • Now, Discover Your Strengths
  • The New Traditional Woodworker: From Tool Set to Skill Set to Mind Set
  • Programming Arduino Getting Started with Sketches
  • Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable...about Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business
  • The Little Book of Common Sense Investing
  • The C Programming Language
  • Take Me Again (The Knight Brothers, #1)
  • The Earl's Mistletoe Match (Belles of Christmas, #3)
  • Naturally, Delicious: 100 Recipes for Healthy Eats That Make You Happy
  • Laura Lea's Balanced Cookbook: 125 Simple & Delicious Everyday Recipes for a Healthier You
  • Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years
  • Saving Miss Everly (Inglewood, #3)