Start by marking “Son of Fletch (Fletch, #10)” as Want to Read:
Son of Fletch (Fletch, #10)

Son of Fletch

(Fletch #10)

When Fletch learns there are four ex-cons on the loose in his part of the county, little does he suspect that one of the scruffy and very dangerous men will claim to be the son he never knew--in fact, was never even told about. But when a muddy and bedraggled young man acosts him in his study, it doesn’t take our wily reporter and investigator long to surmise this kid migh ...more
Published December 6th 2005 by Vintage Crime/Black Lizard (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Son of Fletch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Son of Fletch

Brenna Sydel
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This Fletch book dealt with issues of race and hatred. For that approach it was interesting and engaging. The main female character is strong, independent, and brave. For that I am grateful. But jeeeeeeez louise, it's still heavily fat phobic and rude and cruel. I mean, ffs, can we lay off the fat jokes and the comments about weight? It got to the point where it was really distracting from the story and frankly totally irrelevant.
Patrick
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ahh yeah
Jonathan Lee B.
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Son of Fletch is a picnic with bursts of fireworks.
Chris Aldrich
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Plot
It was a dark and stormy night...

In eleven novels in the series, one of them was bound to start off like this, in a sense. Like most in the Fletch series, the story is off like a shot from the beginning, but then just a tad into the first act there's another huge plot point (suggested by the title of the book) or known by the close reader who remembers Crystal Faoni who was a major (large?) character from Fletch's Fortune.

I don't know that I believed the convicts just taking Fletch's word fo
Hans
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars - First of two "Jack" tales that bring us back into the life of I. M. Fletcher(view spoiler). It's interesting to see a glimpse of Fletch further down the road. Understandably (and unfortunately), the book insists on spending some time filling in some of the events of Fletch's life. The odd part is that it also includes two literary "clips" with a couple pages of quoted scenes from earlier books. It was st ...more
furious
i read this because i am sick & because i just heard that Greg Mcdonald died (back in September). i love Fletch. one summer back in the day, when i was in like 5th or 6th grade, i was in a rather severe dust-up. the conflict involved me, a patch of poison ivy, and a lawn mower & left me incapacitated for over a week. i looked like eric stoltz from the movie Mask. it was horrible. anyway, reading was about the only thing i could do, so one day i went down to the Atco Library, where i happ ...more
Steve Wald
Jul 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Fletch takes a back seat in this one to his self-proclaimed son Jack, who I like a lot as a character. It's hard not to, he's basically a copy of Fletch the first, plus a guitar. Unfortunately, the plot of this one isn't as good as the adventures Fletch typically gets into, and involves infiltrating a Ku Klux Klan themed crime ring. This book relies a lot more on immature jokes than the books before it, and contains a drastically different writing style from McDonald's earlier work that I don't ...more
Ray
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I view the Fletch series, after the first two novels ("Fletch" and "Confess, Fletch"), like pizza: even when it's bad, it's still pretty good. Son of Fletch fits that perfectly. Yes, it's not as good as the first couple books, but I'll read it over 99% of the drivel out there. It was entertaining, humorous, and grabbed my attention for the whole ride. It could have used some improvement here and there, but it's no big deal that an A+ work wasn't fixed to become a more solid A+ work.
Stuart Lutzenhiser
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Enjoyable, but light reading. Fletch has four deadly convicts show up as his door demanding his help and the most shocking thing is one of them says that he is his son, hereto unknown. It then spins into a pretty pedestrian adventure without a whole bunch of turns and twists although bits of it come across as almost Hiaasen-esque in their social commentary. Worth reading for enjoyment but not the strongest of the Fletch works. But if you enjoyed others, you will enjoy this.
Jim
Oct 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me half the book to get the damn Chevy Chase character out of my head. Not that I dislike the first Fletch film (the second one was...well...putrid) but MdDonald's written character is altogether different, however no less appealing.
This is a simple story; it's the characters and their banter that move the reader along. This is an enjoyable light read.
Jim
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 - 4 stars. A quick read, well-written. It's been decades since I've read a Fletch book, so I don't know if it's false-memory that I seem to remember the original novels being funnier. This one was certainly clever-ish, but certainly not outright funny. All of which has nothing to do with how good it was, which was pretty good.
C. Patrick
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
An eye-catching cover of a frog in flight, I hadn't read McDonald's Fletch in years, probably not since the late 80s. Off the beaten path type mystery genre writing, don't think Chevy when you read these. Carrie, the blonde Tennessee whirlwind Fletch is living with steals many of the scenes. Big surprise.
Tommyb
Jun 25, 2017

• Dave Barry's Guide to Marriage and/or Sex
  • Homegoing
  • Juggling for the Complete Klutz
  • Artifact of Evil (Greyhawk Adventures, #2)
  • The Timothy Files
  • Playgrounds of the Mind
  • Murder in Vegas: New Crime Tales of Gambling and Desperation
  • Before the Dawn (Dark Angel, #1)
  • WLT: A Radio Romance
  • The Green
  • The Second Confession (Nero Wolfe, #15)
  • Heroics for Beginners
  • Battle Circle (Battle Circle, #1-3)
  • Mission to Moulokin (Icerigger, #2)
  • The Callahan Chronicals (Callahan's #1-3)
  • Sorrow Without End (Medieval Mystery, #3)
  • Voodoo, Ltd. (Arthur Case Wu, #3)

Fletch (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Fletch (Fletch, #1)
  • Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)
  • Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3)
  • Fletch and the Widow Bradley (Fletch, #4)
  • Fletch's Moxie (Fletch, #5)
  • Fletch and the Man Who (Fletch, #6)
  • Carioca Fletch (Fletch, #7)
  • Fletch Won (Fletch, #8)
  • Fletch, Too (Fletch, #9)
  • Fletch Reflected (Fletch, #11)