Start by marking “Surrender the Pink” as Want to Read:
Surrender the Pink

Surrender the Pink

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  1,455 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
A study of metropolitan mating manners by the author of "Postcards from the Edge". Dinah Kaufman is attracted to unsuitable men, including her ex-husband, a successful playwright with whom she continues to be obsessed. And she has a tendency to merge real life and the soap opera scripts she writes.
Published September 15th 1990 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Surrender the Pink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surrender the Pink

Kasia
Jun 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually read books where the relationship between a man and a woman takes center stage, the horrors that imitate real life are draining and exhausting at times, only making me feel lucky that I don't have to deal with such things. Luckily this book was so much more than that, it was a lot of fun to read and the ending didn't suck, I loved it! After reading "Wishful Drinking" and "Postcards from the Edge" I was ready for one more Carrie Fisher book before I switched themes for a while, th ...more
Monica
Mar 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend actually recommended "Postcards from the Edge" but when I spotted "Surrender the Pink" sitting on the shelf at my local library, I decided to check it out first. In what is typical early '90's chick lit, "Surrender the Pink" follows soap opera writer, Dinah, as she addresses the various relationships with men in her life (her ex-husband, father, and earlier liaisons) with the possibility of self-discovery at the end (no spoilers here). Carrie Fisher is actually pretty hilarious and I th ...more
Diana Long
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
204. This felt more like a play or screenplay and deals with relationships...when to let go for the most part. So much of what I know from her other works in relating to her own life comes through in her works and this is not exception. A sad reflection on the author but worth reading.
Andi
Aug 28, 2017 added it
Shelves: gave-up-on
Jeez. Carrie. What a mess of a book you made here.

What I always enjoyed about Carrie's writing is how she makes her characters realistic with problems.

The problem with this character is the relationship is a doomed one, and on top of that, the guy is using the girl as a bounce-and-fuck. I know she was married to him, but honey, no. Don't go chasing after that dick if it's plowing other holes.

Anyway. I stopped when the main character drove out to the Hamptons to stalk him during a writers strike.
Ubalstecha
Mar 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
Dinah Kaufman writes for a soap opera. Her scripts tend to be retellings of her love life, where she re-examines the conversations, events and fights that she has had with her lovers. Most significant among these is Rudy Gendler, noted playwright with whom Dinah had a lengthy relationship. (She calls him her ex-husband.)

Dinah has dumped him, and thought she has moved on, but when she finds out that Rudy has found another to love, someone who is a complete opposite of her, she becomes obsessed wi
Emma Doherty
Jun 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Found the first third uproariously funny, however the tone is not enough to atone for the plot- which flips constantly between yawn-inducing and a string of increasingly embarrassing situations that make you squirm as a reader. It makes me feel mean saying this because the main character is based primarily on Carrie Fisher herself, whom I love, but god! Interior monologues are one thing, the rampant narcissism of a character like Dinah is entirely another.
Beau North
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick read, and judging by some of the other reviews, a highly underrated one. Don't go in this expecting a comfortable good time. Dinah is an obsessive, neurotic mess who is as needy as she is hilarious and brilliant. The soap opera and discovery channel-type interludes made me laugh and contextualized this already-biting story as a razor-sharp cautionary tale.

Also, if you're a writer who struggles with dialogue, study Carrie Fisher as much as you can.
Syl
Mar 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
I found it boring from the start. As far as I understand this book deals with a 20 something woman working in the TV industry who is bent upon forming relationships with unsuitable men, mostly father figures. After the relationship bursts, she is fond of contemplating what went wrong, before jumping into similar relationship. I couldnot focus my attention on the book, turning pages was becoming a task. Finally I left it somewhere around the 60th page. I was surprised to see many 4 and 5 star rev ...more
Britt Lovelady
Nov 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Shelves: chick-lit, fiction
I hate to be mean but this was the worst book I've ever read. The plot was dumb, the characters were dull and unlikeable, and the narrator often went off on a tangent that was difficult to understand. This was not the typical chick-lit that I was expecting and I don't mean that in a good way. I give it an F.
KATIE
Meh...
Julie Bozza
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A terrific writer with a sharp clear gaze. There are some truths in here that are bloody painful, but there's some happy stuff, too, which feels just as genuine.

... I might try for something soothing next!
Debbie
Jun 28, 2017 added it
I give up !
Amelia
I don't know what I was expecting exactly, some expose of life after Star Wars or something. I thought it would be fun to read a book by Princess Leia! I did realize when purchasing the book that is was not going to be what I thought, having found it in the fiction section at the book store along with there being several other books on the shelf by the same author. But, for $3 I thought I'd give it a go anyway. I know, I know, Postcards From the Edge... where have I been living, an Arctic weathe ...more
Karis
Apr 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Let me be clear, I did not choose to read this book from the title (rather horrible title IMO). I did read Postcards from the Edge which was rather good. So I felt encouraged to buy Ms Fisher's book (also it was 20 cents).
It's also important to state that this book was published in 1990, so the topic(s) of gender politics, and discussions of is it a man's world etc seemed a tad dated.
Some interesting, albeit not new ideas, on why we choose to love who we love are explored (hint, it's something t
Sarah Sammis
Aug 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: released
Surrender the Pink was as enjoyable a read as Postcards from the Edge. Fisher does a good job of letting her characters age and mature although all of them remain somewhat troubled. I found Surrender the Pink an intriguing follow up to Bachelor Girl, a cultural history of the single working woman. Dinah, the protagonist, is a classic example of the conflicted single gal. She loves her job, likes sleeping alone and yet wants to married and maybe have a baby. She toys with trying to get back toget ...more
Elisabeth
Feb 21, 2011 rated it liked it
The book's not bad, I mean its Carrie Fisher, so part of me is always gonna love it, but this book wasn't really about her. It sorta was, but only about the part of her that loved Paul Simon which means the book was about something that went nowhere and thats not very satifying.
I felt she did the opposite of what male writers do when they write a book about their doomed love of a woman. Shes perfect untill shes not and then its her fault. In this book Rudy was perfect but because Dinah wasnt it
Mike
Oct 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
A "3.5" more than a mere "3" I say.

I read this book after "Postcards From the Edge" and did not like it quite as much (hence my lower rating.) Perhaps it was the material, but I suspect it was also the comparison with my enjoyment and fondness for the prior book. I can't say for certain without re-reading it.

What I can say is that the book has merit: it is funny and sarcastic, well-written, and takes aim at life and how we live it. Always a good choice. If you want something that isn't too "heav
Lisa
Jun 21, 2015 rated it liked it
It's like going to the store and buying your third favorite candy. It will still do in a pinch but doesn't have the same satisfaction as the thing you were really thinking of eating. Then the guilt of eating something with all these calories that only sort of left you satisfied. It is an easy read. The snappy dialogue doesn't seem like it is very natural. The narrator speaking doesn't match the main character in description. Is she really so world-weary in her 30s? I am thinking another Carrie F ...more
Llima
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
I don't get it. I loved Carrie Fisher's one woman show and I think she's brilliant. But I just could not get into this book. I kept saying, "Maybe the next chapter will make it better," but it never did. Most of the time I wanted to slap Dinah for being such a melodramatic brat. I just could not relate to her. I have another book of Fisher's at home and I'm seriously debating if I want to read it.
hrh
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book fictionally deals with Fisher's on again/off again romance with the singer Paul Simon. The woman has a way with words. Very clever most of the time. Does get a bit too navel-gazing and a little too contemplative at times. But a genuinely unique and imaginative voice. Content Warning for those who like to monitor their reading intake: I'd give it a strong PG-13 to R rating, so proceed at your own risk ...
Meredith
Feb 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Coming on the heels of The Museum of Innocence, I found Surrender the Pink a bit hard to take. Carrie Fisher is a better than average wordsmith and the book is full of clever wordplays, but I found Dinah to be every bit as self-absorbed and uninteresting as the protagonist of the Pamuk opus. Just a different sex, and did not take herself quite so seriously. Hence, 2 stars, instead of the 1 star that I gave to Pamuk.
Aurelie
Nov 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
This book is so 90's, all I could hear while reading it was the saxophone playing (especially during those numerous sex scenes).
It kind of felt like a Harlequin book, and that wasn't what I wanted to read at all. Actually, I first thought it was Carrie Fisher's autobiography, except obviously it wasn't. Next time I'll check twice the title at the library (damn you translated titles! In french this book is called "Hollywood Lovers")
Leah
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is my second read of this book, this time for book club. i must confess that overall i was not as taken with the story as i was the first time i read it, i found myself getting impatient with Dinah and not caring as much as i used to about how she would resolve all the issues in her love life. Fisher's writing still makes me laugh out loud so i'll keep my rating at 4 stars. my favourite part remains when Dinah hides in Rudy's closet - so delightfully awkward.
Jenny
Aug 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
This was actually more of an "anti-romance" novel following Dinah Kaufman and her doomed relationship with Rudy Gendler. It was a lot of pages exploring the thoughts of Dinah's lovelife. At times the writing also captured Carrie Fisher's mood swings and tangential thoughts. I struggled to get through this book- not sure if I wasn't in the mood or didn't like the main character.
Betty
Dec 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, women-authors
A tiny bit scattered and rambling at points, but on the whole, this was sharp, funny, and thoughtful. Worth reading for a good sense of Fisher's ability to use her own experiences to create original, lively characters (while also meta-commenting on her own tendency to use her real life for her fiction). Also worth reading for the fun of guessing which parts are most inspired by Paul Simon.
Ariel
Apr 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Sí, sé que se escribió a inicios de los noventa, pero me pareció excesivo que una mujer tan exitosa como lo era la protagonista se sintiera incompleta durante todo el libro solamente porque no estaba con un hombre; su obsesión por su ex-esposo me pareció demasiado retrógrada... en fin.
Christine Leiser
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this book 12,000 years ago and it is still one of my favorites. It's hilarious, her writing is perfect and I felt like she had been following me around and writing down all the horrible things that kept happening to me. I think I liked this even better than "Postcards"
Arlene
This is a humorous story by Carrie Fisher. Dinah Kaufman is a soap-opera writer who uses her relationships with men as inspiration for her stories.
Norah
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Norah by: Angeline
Definitely NOT chick-lit (as I expected)!! But a very interesting, flowing, surreal style of writing - I could hardly put it down! Highly recommended for experienced readers and bookcrossers! I really love the style and also the insight into a girl's emotional life.
Amazon Kindle: Carrie fisher 3 33 Mar 20, 2016 06:53AM
  • The Colour Of Heaven
  • The Queen of the Tambourine
  • Special Relationship
  • Under the Garden
  • Full Catastrophe (Jeremy Cook, #2)
  • The Bleeding Heart
  • A Dangerous Woman
  • Ludmila's Broken English
  • Echoes of Lies (Brodie Farrell, #1)
  • Domestic Pleasures
  • The Book Of Rachael
  • As It Is in Heaven
  • One More River
  • From the Diary of a Snail
Carrie Frances Fisher (1956 - 2016) was an American actress, screenwriter and novelist, most famous for her portrayal of Princess Leia in the original Star Wars trilogy.
More about Carrie Fisher...
“Sometimes she’d just walk around the city alone. Watch the people, smell the food, the bus exhaust, the smoke coming up through the grating. She’d feel protected somehow, found a sense of belonging in the hectic sprawl. And the next minute she’d feel like the one who couldn’t break the code, hit the right stride, catch the wave. Potholes and traffic and bums, oh my. With all the honking and the hum of movement, the living, breathing blur of noise gently pressing in on her, the great purr of the Metropolitan Cat turning into a dull roar. She’d feel so silent on the inside, her head as quiet as a stretch of sand, a cathedral silently worshipping the life that was all around her, storing it up for later when she needed some 'too much' to draw upon.” 12 likes