Start by marking “Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (World of Warcraft, #6)” as Want to Read:
Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (World of Warcraft, #6)

Arthas: Rise of the Lich King

(World of Warcraft #6)

Frostmourne. It was caught in a hovering, jagged chunk of ice, the runes that ran the length of its blade glowing a cool blue. Below it was a dais of some sort, standing on a large gently raised mound that was covered in a dusting of snow. A soft light, coming from somewhere high above where the cavern was open to daylight, shone down on the runeblade. The icy prison hid ...more
Published April 21st 2009 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Arthas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arthas

Rise of the Horde by Christie GoldenArthas by Christie GoldenThe Last Guardian by Jeff GrubbJaina Proudmoore by Christie GoldenThe Shattering by Christie Golden
Warcraft
56 books — 62 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleEclipse by Stephenie MeyerThe BFG by Roald DahlThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
wow
77 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (World of Warcraft, #6)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (World of Warcraft #6), Christie Golden

The story starts off with Arthas at age nine, in the period between the First and Second Wars, with Anduin Lothar and Varian Wrynn first arriving in Capital City bearing news of the fall of Stormwind.

Arthas and Varian play together, though while Varian was trained to fight since childhood, Arthas was shielded from such teachings by his father. However, with Muradin Bronzebeard coming across Arthas fighting imaginary orcs while
Markus
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, 2015, warcraft
"This kingdom shall fall," he promised his beloved steed as he threw his cloak over its bony back and mounted. "And from the ashes shall arise a new order that will shake the very foundation of the world!"

This book tells the story of Arthas Menethil and his Darth Vader-ish path from being a little prince of Lordaeron to becoming a catalyst and master of unspeakable evil.

Rise of the Lich King is mostly just a novelisation of Warcraft 3, putting the escapades of Arthas and Jaina, and the
Heart1lly
Jul 11, 2010 rated it did not like it
I'm actually surprised by all the good reviews for this book. To each their own, though Christie Golden has done much better with other novels. This one felt very rushed, and forced, as though she didn't really have any enthusiasm for writing this one.
If you've played Warcraft III along with the Frozen Throne, there isn't much need to read this. I was also greatly bothered by the injection of the horse - Invincible - into the plot. After Arthas turns to the - ahem - dark side, it seems as though
Ernie Jr.
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Leeanna
Nov 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own
World of Warcraft: Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, by Christie Golden

"Arthas: Rise of the Lich King" feels like it should be the best of all the Warcraft books published so far. Golden has a lot to work with: the previous Warcraft books, all the Warcraft games and expansions, and the multitude of lore and history that exists. But there's a feeling I'm always left with after finishing this book - a feeling that *something* is missing.

The novel is the story of Arthas Menethil, heir to the throne of
Katyana
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, game
***3.5***

Having played this game for ... well, longer than I care to admit... I always meant to check out the books, but never did. Well, I finally picked up the book for the backstory on one of my favorite expansions.

TBH, I had a really hard time keeping my attention on it. Maybe this is because the story is familiar to me, from the game. Or maybe it was because ... well, Arthas' petulant man-baby inner monologue reads particularly poorly in today's crappy world of incels and bros.

*shrug*
Grimm
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was incredibly fun to read but if you've never played world of Warcraft, I'm not sure if you would enjoy it that much.
I will say I learned a lot about the lore of the lich king. It made me feel more attached to the world.
belle ✨(bookishlybelle)
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and so far, I think it's the best Warcraft book I've read. The WoW lore regarding Arthas and his descent into evil is some of my favorite, and this book was so fun to read! It was such a good novelization of Warcraft III events, even using some of the exact in-game and cut scene dialogue, but even if you're not a WoW player you could still enjoy this book. It was a good solid fantasy tale all on its own!
Alex
Oct 30, 2009 rated it liked it
If you play WoW in any of its formats, you'll love this book. If you enjoy solid fantasy novels, you'll enjoy this book, but you'll know you're missing some of the background.

Golden does an excellent job of weaving Warcraft lore, World of Warcraft game points and even quotes into this foundation story of one of Warcraft's major antagonists, and current expansion focus, Arthas - the Lich King.

The key moment of the book is Arthas' massacre of Stratholme - his kingdom's second city. He decides he
Michelle
Apr 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: world of warcraft players, MMORPG gamers, fantasy readers
I went into this book thinking that it was going to be a lot like the lore sheets that are online. No real story, just fact in a oddly structured format. I've never read the other lore books and I was told this was the one to read so I grabbed it.

It was strange to find that their was an actual progression of character in Arthas and you can spot the points where he begins to fall from the Light. Golden does an awesome job at making the story understandable even if the reader hasn't played any of
Pippa DaCosta
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm not sure what happened here. It was a good read but lots of events took place off-page, especially near the end when plot points are built up and then swept away in an explanatory paragraph.

Arthas is a dick. From the moment he gives Jaina the "let's be friends" talk after screwing around with her for months, it's clear, he's an a-hole. I'm not sure what I expected—something with a bit more emotional connection, perhaps. The tone is dry, especially after coming from Christine's excellent
Akila R
Jun 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, wow
As a work of meaningful fiction, Golden's writing is mediocre at best. I just skimmed through the second half of the book grabbing just the gist of it. Her characters lack depth, her descriptions lackluster and vocabulary extremely limited. I read it because I cared about this game I spent a lot of my time playing and I wanted to see what had happened for the expansions I just skipped through.

If the story is already out there in the form of a game, I think it should take a little more work to
Rich Tijerina
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Better writing than the quests so it gets 3 stars.
Stand alone, it deserved a measly star.

Why a woman shouldn't have written this:

-------------SPOILER-----------------------------------------------------------------

The weakness of Arthas was manipulated by Christie to fit in her wanna-be romantic tragedy.
Here is how the story really went:

The first time Arthas was alone with Varian- the king to be crowned- Arthas told Varian that he was fortunate to have come to rule so early.
This was the
S.M. Johnson
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actually pretty good. My favorite part is that it's basically just a novelization of much of Warcraft III and The Frozen Throne, even right down to verbatim unit quotes on occasion. Warcraft III is awesome, ergo this book is awesome. It also "interfaces" nicely with other books in the Warcraft universe - it recounts events that have already been detailed in other novels but from a different point of view. Overall it's just good stuff for Warcraft fans.
Monika
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So far this is the best World of Warcraft book I have ever read
⚜️Trea
It has been years since I read this story, but I was very glad that I revisited it! It focuses on Arthas' actions prior to becoming The Lich King, and paints a very clear picture of him as a child and a man both. The writing did an excellent job of capturing the areas and events of the game, as it was easy for me to picture them! I wish the book had ended differently, as it seemed to be on a bit of a cliffhanger, but I understood the reasoning for doing so. Definitely worth the time in reading ...more
Zarkseven
Jan 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: video-games, fantasy
I never played any of the Warcraft PC games, but I’ve played World of Warcraft since November 2004. I own all of the Warcraft novels, but have only gotten around to reading one of them (Warcraft: Day of the Dragon by Richard A. Knaak). I was excited to read that Dick Hill had recorded 3 of the Warcraft books as audiobooks, only to be disappointed when their release was delayed indefinitely. So when I saw that World of Warcraft: Arthas – Rise of the Lich King was coming out, I thought it might be ...more
Rhys
Apr 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grade-8-ir-books

In the book World of Warcraft: Arthas: Rise of the Lich King is about a prince named Arthas who is loved by every one in his kingdom. He was thought to be a paladin and use the light to his advantage. He was one day sent out on a mission to look for these orc who they thought were using demonic energy. When they got to the sight were the orcs were so posed to be, only to find undead men coming out of houses. They killed them all and went in to the main town where they saw more undead and 5 men
Saugat
Jun 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
“My son, when you were born, the very forest of Lordaron whispered a name to me. Arthas.” This is such a chilling story about the lich king. I knew the lores of the warcraft before but, even then it was such a good book to read. It created a picture of Arthas that I never imagined before. It showed the human side of him.
The story I think follows the trend of Anakin Skywalker from the star wars; a great warrior turns evil for the power it promises. In both stories they begin as Champions of
John
Jul 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: WoW Players
Shelves: fantasy, game
Arthas, the central, defining bad guy in the World of Warcraft on line roleplaying game, and the good guy gone bad from Warcraft III is one of the strongest characters ever introduced in a computer game. He sets out to save his family, protect his lover, and serve his people as their prince. He ends up destroying everything he touches or is touched by.
This novel of his life is about as good as you could get and stick to the very convoluted script already set down in the game, and memorized by
Shanelle
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nic
Oct 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
With the release of their top MMO's second expansion, Blizzard Entertainment begins to tell more about their expansion's main antagonist. Arthas: Rise of the Lich King expands on the existing story with deeper emotions from the characters to show why each does what they do in World of Warcraft.

Arthas, the main character of the book, begins his life as the Prince of Lordaeron. He dredges through his studies and prayer sessions as he's molded into a paladin of the Light and king of Lordaeron. All
Belinda
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
OKAY FINE. This is me admitting to have read a book ABOUT A FREAKING VIDEO GAME. Sue me. As far as the craft of writing and storytelling go, these are all pretty much horrible, horrible novels. Really bad. I mean, really not well done at all. The ONLY reason to read one of the WoW novels is if you are geeked out enough in the game to want to fill in some of the lore you may possibly have missed out on during the course of regular gameplay, and on that score, this one filled the bill for me. ...more
Mitch
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
What a great little book.
This is like what the Star Wars prequels should've been about; a focused story of the rise and fall of an ambitious, gifted man.
Despite some of the imagery/symbolism being a bit heavy-handed, a strong dramatic irony pervades the 1st third of the book, thereby setting up the delicious tragedy of Arthas' descent into becoming the one and only Lich King.
A special mention of his one-time lover, Jaina, as her parts of the book provide us with the devoted sympathy needed for
Brian
Apr 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've ever played the video game Warcraft III, or the MMORPG World of Warcraft, the story presented isn't a new one. It traces the path of Arthas Menethil, from Prince of Lorederon to his fall from grace, and inheriting the mantle of the Lich King.

The characters are well plotted. The story moves at a good pace for the first two thirds of the book, and then it seems as though the author was late for her deadline, and rushed the manuscript.

If you've never played any incarnation of the game, it
Valentina Morgana la fata
All my friends told me that I would have loved Arthas as a character, and so it is.
I love how he changed during the book, how he had to lose pieces after pieces of his soul in order to achieve what I thought was right in his mind.
He did what he did, at least at the beginning, trying to save his people, then power started to take him over, he desired more and more, till he became the rightful Lich King.
But, that's the point, in some ways Arthas is far too good for me to truly like him, that's why
Volodymyr Gerasimov
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
If you are a huge fan of Warcraft 3 and Arthas, I would recommend you to read only first 25% and a final chapter, rest of it is a total waste of your time, if you played the original game. First 25% were outstanding, I really enjoyed reading about relationship of Arthas and Jaina, but afterwards - total disappointment. Description of original campaign was poor and short. 3/5 - I really think that author could have done better if she had more time and freedom
Samuel Hoke
Apr 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I just read this book, it's about a guy becoming a king of the dead (Lich King). It's related to a game called World Of Warcraft, in the game the sword frostmoure is a really strong weapon and it is hard to get.
Alexander SMith
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It tied in with the second expansion of the game that i'm playing, it was good.
Jonna 🐼 Panda Josefine
Arthas;
It’s very apparent to me that this book-series is written for hardcore players of the game which is, of course, sad thinking of what great lore World of Warcraft actually has. It’s a missed opportunity to bring the lore to a wider audience. This is the first WoW-book I’m reading but I think that they’re not bound to each other so it’s okay to just read the ones you’re interested in.
First of all; you need to know the classes (warrior, mage, druid for example), the races and the maps.
very very good 2 21 Oct 11, 2013 01:43AM

• The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)
  • The Well of Eternity (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #1)
  • The Demon Soul (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #2)
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #0)
  • Day of the Dragon (WarCraft, #1)
  • The Sundering (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #3)
  • World of Warcraft: Dawn of the Aspects
  • World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume 1
  • World of Warcraft: Ashbringer
  • WarCraft Archive (WarCraft, #1-3 & Of Blood and Honor)
  • World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume 2
  • World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume 3
  • War of the Ancients Archive (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #1-3)
  • Warcraft: Death Knight
  • Dragon Hunt (WarCraft: The Sunwell Trilogy, #1)
  • World of Warcraft: Dawn of the Aspects: Part I
  • World of Warcraft, Vol. 1
  • World of Warcraft: Dawn of the Aspects: Part V
Award-winning author Christie Golden has written over thirty novels and several short stories in the fields of science fiction, fantasy and horror. She has over a million books in print.

2009 will see no fewer than three novels published. First out in late April will be a World of Warcraft novel, Athas: Rise of the Lich King. This is the first Warcraft novel to appear in hardcover. Fans of the

World of Warcraft (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • Rise of the Horde (World of Warcraft, #2)
  • Tides of Darkness (World of Warcraft, #3)
  • Beyond the Dark Portal (World of WarCraft, #4)
  • Night of the Dragon (World of Warcraft, #5)
  • Stormrage (World of Warcraft, #7)
  • The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm (World of Warcraft, #8)
  • Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects (World of WarCraft, #9)
  • Wolfheart (World of WarCraft, #10)
  • Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War (World of Warcraft, #11)
“It is as much of a mistake to underestimate yourself as to overestimate yourself.” 23 likes
“False modesty is as bad as false pride. Know exactly what you are capable of at any moment, and act accordingly. Any other path is folly—and could be deadly in battle.” 12 likes