Start by marking “Deathstalker (Deathstalker, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deathstalker (Deathstalker, #1)

(Deathstalker #1)

The Iron Bitch-- her Imperial Majesty Lionstone XIV-- ruled the human Empire with fear. From peasants to masters of the galaxy's most powerful families, all were subject to the queen's unpredictable decrees of "outlawing" and death.

Owen Deathstalker, unwilling head of his clan, sought to avoid the perils of the Empire's warring factions but unexpectedly found a price on hi
Mass Market Paperback, 571 pages
Published May 11th 2006 by Gollancz (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Deathstalker, please sign up.
James Adams A character named Razor Eddie appears in NS and H&F, though they may not be the same guy. A Deathstalker appears in one of the SH books as a…moreA character named Razor Eddie appears in NS and H&F, though they may not be the same guy. A Deathstalker appears in one of the SH books as a distant descendant of the Droods. Shadows Fall is a recurring location, as well. So there are links across the board, but some are tenuous.(less)
Old Man's War by John ScalziDune by Frank HerbertStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinLeviathan Wakes by James S.A. CoreyPandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton
Excellent Space Opera
467 books — 2,696 voters
Hyperion by Dan SimmonsDune by Frank HerbertEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardFoundation by Isaac AsimovThe Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons
Best Space Opera
469 books — 1,024 voters

More lists with this book...

Gavin
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Deathstalker was a fast paced fun space opera in the Star Wars mould. It was not thought provoking sci-fi by any means but Simon R Green has an engaging writing style and despite using every sci-fi cliché in the book his story was still enjoyable and the characters even had a little depth to them!

Owen Deathstalker is a historian who has moved to the fringe of the Imperial Empire to get away from the politics that got his famous warrior father killed. Unfortunately for him the tyrannical Empress
Audrey
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-punk-fi
Great laser-mounted cannons of excess! What is this nonsense?

In one first volume of a space opera we have, in no discernible order: Mob-style family feuds! A merciless and corrupt ruler! A hope for the future of Humanity* macguffin! Imprisoned empaths! Clones! A lecherous old woman-hater in charge! Two ninjas who both disguise themselves as Emo Philips! A reluctant hero! A rag-tag band of sidekicks! Killer whores! Naked assassin sex-slaves! Gay assassins in love! Rooftop-guardian-angel-assassin!
Rebecca May
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I have to say, that if you can't read a book without analyzing and reading to actively criticize, then you will certainly find loads of things to criticize about this book - the gore, the incessantly repeated phrases often within a couple of pages of each other, the cliche's and the ways that the main characters get out of situations. But, I read for pure enjoyment, nothing else, and if like me you read for enjoyment, love fantasy, science-fiction, and pure fun, then you will love this book.

For
lostinabookbrb
Oct 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is definitely not a book for every sci-fi lover. Especially those who like serious space adventures. This book is satirical in nature and explores most standard plot lines for a space opera. Evil ruler, gigantic empire, and epic battles are a given in this book. Plus he adds zombies and all sorts of things you won't find in, say, Star Wars. Also, this book has some of the most reprehensible villains that you find yourself growing a little fond of. My personal favorite is Valentine (though, ...more
Mary JL
Jun 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of science fiction--esp space opera
Recommended to Mary JL by: Found at sale
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
Review is a bit late guys--unpacking from the move took longer than I thught! Amazing how much stuff one accumlates after 15 years in one apartment. Did not get much reading done either. (*sigh*)

Onwards to the review. When it first came out, the cover looked to me like the story inside was a Star Wars clone; so I was in no hurry to read it.

However, while there are many similarities to Star Wars, there are such similarities in many space opera tales.

Simon Green's style is interesting. I liked the
Collin
Jan 06, 2009 rated it did not like it
I've recently been on something of a Simon Green kick. That's ok, let it out. What can I say? I kind of like this guy. He's prolific as all heck, clearly has a very active imagination and is making a living as a writer. He's practically my idol. However, he also drops books like an overfed pigeon and when you do this there's absolutely no way they are all going to be good. Deathstalker is, I think, the best example of this. When you read a lot of an author's work you start to pick up on their ti ...more
Jim
I haven't read this in years as I found other new books by Green to be awful & I wanted to keep my good memories, so I gave away the entire paperback series to my son. When I found this in audio format, I was undecided, but thought it might be worth trying. Today, after failing to get 4 short SF stories in a row, I decided I needed something dumb & fun. This fits the bill.

Suspend all sense of disbelief! Discard logic! Just roll with the action in a star empire that has espers, aliens, &a
Mark
Sep 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who really love star wars but want to read something non-star wars
Shelves: sciencefiction
Deathstalker...yeah...

Where to begin?

There's this evil empire of humanity and it's led by the dark evil emporer...no wait...she's an empress and she's not so dark, but she is evil. Anyway there's this hopeful young farm boy named Luke Skywalk...wait, that's not it. He's a young aristocrat named Owen Deathstalker. So the Empress puts a bounty on the head of Owen for seemingly no reason, causing him to make a run for it.

Luckily, he is rescued by the spunky-yet-beautiful princess Leia...wait, it's
Lauren Smith
It's absolute overkill from beginning to end, but it's quite good fun. Reading Deathstalker is the literary equivalent of going to see a blockbuster for the sheer thrill of awesome special effects, superhuman warriors and amazing fight scenes. In other words, watch out for the one-liners, expect no subtlety, sit back and have a great time as a few bold rebels face insurmountable odds going up against a cruel galactic Empire.
Eric Allen
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Book 1 of Deathstalker
By Simon R. Green

A Deathstalker Retrospective by Eric Allen

Welcome to my new retrospective series. We've looked at Science Fiction series in retrospective, and we've looked at Fantasy series in retrospective. Now, let's take a look at something called Science Fantasy. Science Fantasy has elements of both Science Fiction and Fantasy in it that prevents it from being readily assigned to either genre. A Science Fantasy story will typically make use of both futurist
Traci
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A long fan of Green's, I first thought about reading the Deathstalker series while working my way through one of his Secret Histories entries (Eddie Drood enlists the help of a Deathstalker, though for the life of me I can't remember which one). The idea sat on a back burner of my reading brain until I found a copy on Amazon for a penny + shipping. Well, why not, I thought? If it's good, great. If it's horrible, not a huge investment, and I could always donate it to the library.

This is a much di
David Zampa
This book reminded me of the Shadowrun universe, only Deathstalker is a broad-scope space opera where Shadowrun is solidly urban fantasy. It has its own versions of werewolves and vampire, and in general takes a very no-holds-barred approach toward blending science fiction and fantasy elements. I looked this book up because I kept running into it in my constant quest to find books that are the prose equivalent of the Firefly TV show. I can't say this is a perfect fit to that criteria, but neithe ...more
Jannelies
When this book was published in 1995, I was one of the editors of a small magazine about SF. The magazine was (and is) in Dutch, but sometimes we received English books for a review. This one was left over after we all (I think there were five editors at the time) picked the books we really wanted to read and review. It was left over because of the absolutely horrible cover and description.
I volunteered to read it... and was pleasantly surprised. I've read the whole series two times now and so t
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Somehow I got the idea in my head the Deathstalker series was  urban fantasy  and it's science fiction / space opera.  It is even more bizarre because I thought the Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka was science fiction and it turned out to be urban fantasy.  They are both narrated by Gildart Jackson very well and I listened to
Rafael
Oct 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
The worst space opera I have read so far... I gave it a try in German and later thoght that maybe the translator fucked up. So when I found an English copy in a friends bookshelf I gave it another try. Nothing improved though.
Characters without any trace of credibility, a world wich keeps getting more unrealistic with every page you turn. An then there's the great mystery how the world manages to present You with even more deadly (yet before never mentioned) antagonists.
I forgot whom You have t
John
Jun 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
Dreadful. Repetitive language and tropes ("lithely muscular" over and over again, exploding heads, about 5 mysterious master swordsmen), stiff and stereotypical characters, a plot that doesn't really make much sense, "political intrigue" that's completely unconvincing, villains with the sophistication of Skeletor...

Yeah, the popularity of this book baffles me. If you want space opera, there are authors out there (Alastair Reynolds for one) who can actually write it in a manner which resembles li
Ahmad Sharabiani
Deathstalker (Deathstalker, #1), Simon R. Green
عنوان: دث استاکر کتاب 1 دو جلدی - دث استاکر؛ نویسنده: سیمون آر گرین؛ مترجم: آرزو احمی؛ تهران، ویدا، چاپ اول و دوم 1392؛ در 415 ص؛ دوجلد در 800 ص؛ شابک: جلد 1: 9786002910318؛ جلد 2: 9786002910349؛
این مجموعه هشت کتاب است، عنوانهای اصلی هشت کتاب
Deathstalker Return
Deathstalker Coda
Jason
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
I only got 50-60 pages in to this before I had to put it down. The writing jumped all over the place, leaving me pretty confused! It wasn't well written and didn't draw me in at all. I'll own the fact that I'm not a huge fan of "space novels" so they have to be really good to hold my attention. Unfortunately, this wasn't one of them!
Joyce
Jul 06, 2011 rated it liked it
At first I didn't like this book. After the first few chapters though it grew on me. I listened to this via audiobook and it was well done. By the end though I enjoyed it enough to give it three stars maybe it deserves 3 1/2.
Lance Martincich
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant story and a great start to the series. Would recommend it to anyone interested in Sci-Fi and fantasy. Simon R Green has done a wonderful job in "setting up the players" on a galactic chessboard.

Can't wait to see how the story continues
Yasi
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was close to reallity and believable.completly technological
Nolan M
Apr 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced, beautifully written.

A thoroughly enjoyable series.

... of epic proportions.
Ladiibbug
Aug 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deathstalker #1 - Sci Fi series

Read prior to Jan. '07
Kathleen
2.75 stars. Told in 3rd person, this space opera is just too much for my taste. I won’t read the sequels, unless they’re free. But kudos for the Maze of Madness. Loved that!

The book is just too dark for me. Excessive blood and gore. Heads roll, bounce, and burst. Monsters eat people. Children rot away on cots, plugged into wires. Mob-style inter-family treachery. Inconsistently applied rules of society and court intrigue. Disgusting corruption. Inconsistency in technology. Incest. Drug enhanceme
Scott Weber
Dec 13, 2011 rated it liked it
I have been reading Simon Green's Nightside books and enjoying them well enough, so I thought that I would try one of his other works. I like series and it has been some time since I read any sci-fi, so this sounded pretty good.

This book takes place within a vast human empire run by a tyrant affectionately refered to as the Iron Bitch. The hero, Owen Deathstalker, is a minor noble of an ancient noble house. Somehow, unknown to him, he has run afoul of the empress and finds himself suddenly witho
Soo
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Mini-Review:

I enjoy Gildart Jackson as a narrator but it's a little odd listening to him narrate this story after listening to him for Nightside. In some ways, it's great. In others, I can't help but think of other characters that he has voiced and it's a bit of a confusing mess when I have to remind myself I am listening to a different series.

Overall: Excellent start to an epic space opera! It has multi-faceted characters, evil empire, a host of anti-hero heroes, monsters (man and other) and c
Aaron
Jul 15, 2014 rated it liked it
According to Wikipedia the author intended this to be, to an extent, a parody of space operas. Reviews here warned me that minor characters got a lot of screen time. (Although, I was still surprised that less than half the book was following the protagonist.) Forewarned is forearmed, so I enjoyed it for the sprawling beast that it is. In fact, it was mostly little things that broke me out of the narrative and annoyed me.

I read the Kindle version and the OCR errors were a little distracting. A "c
Gregg
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like cool, superhuman abilities
Like many others, I would say the horrendous cover art is misleading. There is plenty of coolness and intrigue to offset some shortcomings in other areas. Each character has different "super" powers and an interesting place in the world of political intrigue and fantastic settings. I originally read it as a trilogy, liked it a lot and then found it increasingly tedious as the series went on. I recently reread the first three books and found them enjoyable again- but I have no plans to revisit th ...more
Dan
Apr 04, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: signal
This is a horrible, wretched book. Some books have plot and character development; this book has memes. Cyborgs, bounty hunters, vampires, espers, aliens, rogue AIs -- all of them are here, none of them are developed in any way that would make them at all interesting or likeable. One suspects the author had a checklist. "Cyborg... check. Zombie... check."

The plot is quite intricate; also, it is completely contrived and utter nonsense.
Elisabeth
Jan 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great sci-fi. It's the kind of book though, that when I begin to tell someone the story it doesen't really sound like a book I'd like! Quite violent and gory in places. But a thrilling story and some fab humour in there too.
The Sword and Laser: A True Sword & Laser Series Read 1 51 Oct 26, 2011 07:03AM
  • Matadora (Matador, #2)
  • March to the Stars (Empire of Man, #3)
  • The Myriad (Tour of the Merrimack, #1)
  • A Confederation of Valor (Confederation, #1-2)
  • Planetfall
  • Orphan's Destiny (Jason Wander, #2)
  • Stardoc (Stardoc, #1)
  • Choice of the Cat (Vampire Earth #2)
  • Starstrike
  • Mutineer (Kris Longknife, #1)
  • Midshipman's Hope (Seafort Saga, #1)
  • Miles, Mystery, and Mayhem (Vorkosigan Omnibus, #3)
  • Sten (Sten, #1)
  • The Clone Republic (Rogue Clone, #1)
  • The Price of the Stars (Mageworlds, #1)
  • East of the Sun, West of the Moon (The Council Wars, #4)
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted

Deathstalker (8 books)
  • Deathstalker Rebellion (Deathstalker, #2)
  • Deathstalker War (Deathstalker, #3)
  • Deathstalker Honor (Deathstalker, #4)
  • Deathstalker Destiny (Deathstalker, #5)
  • Deathstalker Legacy (Deathstalker, #6)
  • Deathstalker Return (Deathstalker, #7)
  • Deathstalker Coda (Deathstalker, #8)
“Too many people live the lives other people think they ought to, following orders they don't agree with, for causes they don't believe in. They live lives that don't matter, that touch no one and change nothing. For better or worse, you and I stared evil in the eye and didn't flinch. We raised our swords and went to war, and even if we didn't win we kicked some ass along the way. We made a difference, and that's all any man can ask.” 30 likes
“Isn't the ambience growing on you?"
"If it does, I'll scrape it off.”
0 likes