Start by marking “Die Spur der Füchse” as Want to Read:
Die Spur der Füchse

Die Spur der Füchse

3.29  ·  Rating details ·  4,720 Ratings  ·  257 Reviews
A politician wakes with a beautiful girl; a criminal briefs his team; a tycoon breakfasts with a Bank official. Then three stories break: an attempted suicide, a hijack, and a takeover bid. They seem unrelated – until Evening Post reporters ask questions. Why is a Jamaican bank in trouble? Who drove the Rolls-Royce seen near the raid? Who was the man with gunshot wounds? A ...more
Hardcover, German Edition, 285 pages
Published 2003 by Weltbild (first published 1977)

Apokripos
May 14, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Apokripos by: the "Voice"
You Win Some, You Lose Some
(A Book Review of Paper Money by Ken Follett)

What links the lives of a ruthless gangster, a sneaky businessman, an adulterous minister, and a young journalist, each a stranger to another, together?

Power…

Ambition…

Paper money…

Formerly published under the pseudonym Zachary Stone, Paper Money, one of Ken Follett ’s early caper reissued to quench the curiosity of hard-core fans interested about his earlier works prior his rise to fame, tells an intriguing plot concerning s
A Miuda Geek
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Ken Follett é para mim aqueles autores auto-buy - nem me incomodo a ler sinopses, porque normalmente gosto. Neste, a classificação de 2 estrelas traduz exatamente o que senti no fim da leitura - foi ok.

Tenho que confessar que a história, embora muito bem tecida e de passo rápido - como é habito neste autor - não me satisfez, mas manteve-me agarrada ás paginas para ver como acabava. Penso que também a premissa do livro seria conduzente a esta insatisfação.

O livro é passado desde as 7 da manhã de
Benjamin Thomas
Ken Follett began his successful rise as a best-selling author with the publication of Eye of the Needle in 1978. However, that was not his first novel. Paper Money was written just before, in 1976, and is described by the author in the introduction as “the best of my unsuccessful books.”

Maybe, but it still didn’t work too well for me. This caper novel lacked a central character but instead told the story from a number of different characters’ point-of-view. We have bankers, newspaper reporters,
Richa
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very fast paced, cut-to-cut novel by Ken Follett. It is not the better known works by the author; infact 'the new introduction' by him, seemed a little apologetic to me. I don't see any reason to do that, if that was the intention.
He calls this book "the best of his unsuccessful books". Well well well!
This was my first Ken Follett book, so I do not know why it was 'unsuccessful'... Maybe, that his other works were better, or racier... As a stand-alone work, I found this book pretty decent.
The
Christian, Kelanth, Scala
Alta finanza, in originale "Paper Money" è un romanzo di Ken Follett del 1977, uno dei primi lavori dell'autore, nonché il secondo ed ultimo accreditato sotto lo pseudonimo di Zachary Stone, dopo "Lo scandalo Modigliani", scritto l'anno precedente. Quest'opera, che precede di un solo anno La cruna dell'ago, primo importante successo di pubblico di Follett (e prima opera pubblicata col suo vero nome), è solitamente inclusa nel catalogo dei suoi lavori minori, anche se la complessità della struttu ...more
Brent Soderstrum
Sep 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy a Ken Follett book. This is one of his early ones and it is apparent in the lack of character development. However, he comes up with great story lines and this one doesn't disappoint.

I will caution you to have time to read a good section before putting it down. I only read a few chapters before going to bed and didn't get back to it for a few days. This lead to having to look back to what I had already read since this book involves a day in the life of many characters. You will read abo
Sheri
This was just fine and dandy Ken Follett suspense. There was nothing particularly spectacular about it, but the plot moves nicely and all the pieces fall together well.

I was especially moved by the puns; literally there are well used notes that are to be destroyed (paper money), but the story is also about the newspapers and how they make their money ("Laski is your new boss" might have been my favorite line in the book).

Of course the whole thing is rather silly and convenient: the bet between
Pete Loveday
I am a confessed Ken Follett fan. Having said this, Paper Money is the least liked of the KF books I have so far read. He claims this is his best failed novel and I am willing to agree with him for now.

This book shows how the print media has it's finger on the pulse of the Business world the wheeling and dealing of the Share market and acquisitions and takeovers hostile or otherwise.
However, there are too many characters and the ending is disappointing. A good read for a plane or ship journey,
Carlos Fonseca
Quando comprei o livro não me apercebi que era uma obra relativa à fase de "crescimento" do autor. Como os seus admiradores sabem, Follet só começou a ganhar fama depois de ter escrito uma dúzia de livros. "O Preço do Dinheiro", escrito em 1977, pertence a esse período inicial.

É uma historieta bem urdida - já se nota nela o dedo que lhe traria fama e fortuna - que se lê com agrado. Recomendo-a a quem gosta de ler em viagem, ou tem de estar aquelas longas horas que passaram a ser "lei" nos aeropo
Erin Caldwell
Just read this one for the second time on a plane. As it did the first time, it left me wanting more. The plot line has potential, but also seems a little basic and cliched. There are so many characters, but they are so underdeveloped that no one becomes important or likable. Follett admits in the intro that he "underwrote" on this one, and I completely agree. This book should be twice the length it is - I like all of the story lines, but never get complete satisfaction.
Raquel Bernardes
Foi o meu primeiro livro que li do Ken Follett e sinceramente não gostei muito. É um livro policial, mas achei que pôs muitas personagens e o livro ficou um pouco confuso pelo menos para mim. Decididamente não sou muito ligada aos polícias pelo autor Ken Follett. No entanto para quem goste deste tipo de género poderá ler...

Katherine
Jul 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Worst ken follett book. I got to the end, still trying to swipe to new pages on my iPad. I couldn't believe that was the end. It was like the falling action and conclusion Got lost! It was a very slow start with too many characters that were very similar, but just as it got a tiny bit interesting, the end! What a waste of my reading time!
Addy
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
#PaperMoney by Ken Follett.

This is the second experimental/off beat or unconventional Ken Follett novel that I've read after The Modigliani Scandal where he thought a detailed introduction was necessary. He makes it very clear that it is one of those novels, which did not do well. I've put a snap of the introduction which gives quite a comprehensive idea about the book and whether you should pick it up or not. I'll only add a few thoughts to it.

First of all, anyone who gets hold of this book,
George
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-tbr
more of a 2.5 stars. Not enough character development but a good plot skeleton. Glad his later works improved on this and didnt skimp on pages as this one did. At the end of the day its a good quick holiday read
Sylvie Bercegeay
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comme toujours avec ken follet un bon bouquin et une tranche d'histoires. Les personnages sont intéressants notamment le journaliste qui a une approche de son métier particulière.
Diego Sánchez Pérez
Esta lectura me pareció demasiado irregular porque si bien la trama prometía, la primera parte se siente demasiado desenfocada, me refiero a que uno nunca queda claro de lo que pretende contar cual sería el hilo conductor con el tema de la corrupción. Desde la mitad empieza a mejorar un poco, la acción apenas está bien escrita, aunque de aquí al final empieza a sentirse bastante predecible aunque no es tanto como para odiarlo en sí. En resumen yo esperaba mucho más y resulto bastante insatisfact ...more
Ignacio Gargiulo
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
De los primeros libros de Ken FOllet, que después se dedicaría a escribir novelas históricas. Esto, nada que ver. Una novela cuasi policial, con algunas vueltas de tuerca muy bien pensadas, enmarcada en el sistema financiero de eeuu. Tiene un estilo típico que no puedo definir, de los best sellers de la época en que fue escrito.
Angela Nunes
dentro de um estilo completamente diferente do que Ken Follet me habituou,esta trama é mais política e económica e não tive a sensação de deslumbramento pelo livro logo de início como é de costume.
assim sendo,afirmo que gosto mais de um Ken Follett que me faz prender da 1ª á última página e das aventuras que leio de um só fôlego,este ficou muito aquém das espectativas.
Bookish Enchantment
Nov 14, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
You know I just could not get into this book. It was just plain boring and yes I read about 3/4's of the book before I quit. I just was not going anywhere. A ramble of boringness (if there is such a word).
Johannes
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: krimi-romans
Eine etwas ganz andere Krimi von Kenn Follett aus seine frühen Jahren.
Eigentlich is es kein Krimi in herkömmlichen Sinn, denn der Leser bekommt zwar die ganze Geschichte mit Erpressung, Bankraub, Gewalt, Korruption, Selbstmord, Konkursverschleppung, usw., aber die Polizei bekommt diese Informationen nicht und tappt komplett im Dunkel.
Und obwohl die Presse - jedenfalls eine Zeitung - ebenfalls vollständig im Bilde ist, schreibt sie nicht über diese Vorgänge, weil Einer der Hauptfiguren in der Kri
Neil Spark
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ken Follett says he was "almost good" when he wrote Paper Money. The novel is set London in the mid-1970s. It tells the story of three seemingly unrelated incidents. The action takes place over 24 hours.

The government is expected to announce the company that has been awarded an oil field licence. Earlier that morning the assistant minister for energy Tim Fitzpeterson is blackmailed.

Mobster Tony Cox briefs his men. Businessman Felix Laski is always on the lookout for an opportunity and sees one
Steve Tanyko
Jason
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: standard
A random pick up for me as i 've never read any Follett novels. The description was intriguing and not
quite as exciting as the over all story. As the book contains mostly characters/occupations i despise a banker, gangster (not much difference between these two) , politician and journalist it was an ok read with a variety of characters stories overlapping which is reminiscent today of a guy ritchie or tarantino film. This however was written in the 70's so casual racism and sexism are the norm
Eduard
May 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Book had potential but didn't remotely deliver. I had to write down the characters with a short description of them on a piece of paper to keep track of them. Seems like there were some irrelevant characters with some character development and then poof! nothing. It's a short read (that's the good news) and it all SORT OF ties together in the end with some holes remaining. No publisher today would publish this bc the book market is more competitive than it was in the 70s, let alone a book with s ...more
Si Straw
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paper Money is a pacey thriller which wanders through three seedy worlds towards the intriguing possibilities of a denouement. Reader's of other Follett works should be aware that Paper Money, whilst an excellent read, is a slight departure from Follett's normal fare. The book contains no single protagonist but instead a selection of interesting characters who become entwined in a dynamic and complex plot.

The brisk pace is accelerated slightly at the expense of characterisation: a couple of broa
Christine Blachford
I love Ken Follett and his writing is always intriguing, whipping you along through a story until you get to a satisfying conclusion. This was a different work, an earlier one, and as the author himself alludes to, it doesn't abide by standard thriller specifications.

There's a huge cast of characters, a sprawling plot with no apparent heros and lots of threads to be tied together by the end. That does happen, although I though the ending a bit abrupt. I don't mind that it's not really a happy en
Johan D'Haenen
Een "jeugdwerk" van Ken Follett, gepubliceerd onder het pseudoniem Zachary Stone.
"Hoe een dubbeltje rollen kan", of welke dronken capriolen een rollend dubbeltje maken kan. In dit tijdsverloop van één dag, toont Follett hoe grote financiën, misdadigheid en journalistieke verslaggeving in elkaar verweven zijn, zonder dat die verschillende takken van menselijke intrige daar zelf erg in hebben. Alle dramatis personae volgen hun eigen pad, manipuleren, worden gemanipuleerd, denken slim te zijn, bega
Plum-crazy
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've haven't read anything by this author other than "World Without End" & as this was written in the late 1970's I was expecting it to seem very dated....but surprisingly I didn't think it did.

Mobiles, e-mails & the internet were obviously noticeable by their absence...oh & luckily for the villians there's very little CCTV about! You can tell it's definitely a story from the 70's rather than someone trying to date a tale in the that period - if that makes sense.

I really enjoyed
Dracos99
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Novela muy embrollada, sobre todo al principio, ya que en cada capítulo nos presenta muchos personajes entre los que no parece haber ninguna relación. Poco a poco, los múltiples personajes van confluyendo hasta llegar a mostrar una trama de robos, estafas, corrupción política... pero un poco incoherente.
Al haber tantos personajes, no hay ninguno que sobresalga, excepto el "malo" principal; per incluso este, está poco definido.
También recalcar que los personajes adolecen de todos los tópicos de l
Mary Overgaard
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Ken Follett's first book and he even published it originally under a pen name!

As he says in the forward there are a lot of characters to keep track of and at times I had to go back to figure out who was who. It's a good page turner but clearly his writing and plotting have gotten a lot better even though you see a lot of his character and plot devices shadowed here.

It's certainly worth the read if you are a Follett fan, it's fast and fun.

The four stars were for the ending. I didn't like
  • Ready, Steady, Go!: The Smashing Rise and Giddy Fall of Swinging London
  • Immortelle randonnée : Compostelle malgré moi
  • Death on the Riviera (Superintendent Meredith, #16)
  • Trust Fund
  • Day of Judgment
  • Ken Follett: A Critical Companion
  • Chains of Command
  • Fear in the Sunlight (Josephine Tey, #4)
  • Devil's Garden
  • Welcome to Tranquility, Vol. 1
  • A Mão do Diabo
  • Sullivan's Sting
  • Il mercante di libri maledetti
  • Bourne Series Collection (Jason Bourne, #1-8)
  • The Holy Bullet
  • The Publisher: Henry Luce and His American Century
  • Pay Off
  • Alistair MacLean's Time of the Assassins
Ken Follett is one of the world’s most successful authors. Over 160 million copies of the 31 books he has written have been sold in over 80 countries and in 33 languages.

Born on June 5, 1949, in Cardiff, Wales, the son of a tax inspector, Ken was educated at state schools and went on to graduate from University College, London, with an Honours degree in philosophy. He was made a fellow of the coll
More about Ken Follett

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Bachelor Girl
  • The Wednesday Sisters
    $11.99 $1.99
“to him, money was like the toy bank notes in Monopoly: he wanted it, not for what it could buy, but because it was needed to play the game” 1 likes
“mind back to his dilemma. What do we do in politics,” 0 likes